Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

People still use fax machines? :psyduck:

I have to admit these videos are a lot better prepared than I would have thought, at least in the message they are bringing. I was expecting more "hur hur, Xenu", but that's not even really the bad part about what's going on, is it?

Will be looking to see if the media picks up on this, as that will really determine the degree to which this goes down.

Mantrid posted:

Should goons start offering help? I think this is a cause we can get behind.

Ninja Edit: Help in what way? I'm not actually interested in directly terrorizing anybody even to the degree of faxing a (not quite) blank sheet of paper, but I could see linking videos around or whatever.

Jaster fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Actually I think this would work, use all the Scientology lingo, call him an SP, rail on him for loving with the church and spreading lies and misinformation about them, ask him what his crimes are and say he looks like a child molester.

A few thosand of these should get him pretty pissed off and as far as anyone is concerned the outrage would be from the COS.

I don't really think that's something that would have to be faked. Odds are CoS will make enough calls of their own that his rage would be fairly genuine.

That's kind of part of why this is gaining as much support as it is, nobody has to fabricate anything to make Scientology look bad. All you have to do is point out what's already there.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Hive Mind posted:

The only thing I'm still waiting on is for Colbert to address the chans.

With no writers, he's probably going to be a little slow to the game. Even if he does know about it, without a team of people to back him up I can imagine him being pretty reluctant to jump in on anything legitimately controversial for a while.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Adrojo posted:

Welp it looks like 'Message to Scientology' views are not locked anymore. Youtube either caved in, or there were to many people trying to watch the movie at once that it couldn't update it's views fast enough.

Youtube doesn't update views on a constant basis, juggling the numbers on every single video on the site at a constant rate would probably light all the servers on fire with the amount of numbers that would have to be crunched. I'm pretty sure they only update every so often, rather than keeping a running tally. That's why when you refresh the video a couple times, the number doesn't seem to be going up.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Loads fine for me. You're not missing much, though.

Yeah, he was almost too subtle to really be a successful prank. He hit the Bel Air / Rick Roll memes, but didn't do enough of them to really pull the operator off of anything. Had he managed to keep going with the lyrics to either song in a conversational tone it would've been a lot better.

I wonder if Scientology Operators are like Telemarketers and aren't allowed to hang up on you? :crossarms:

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I assume they're shifting from DoSing to spreading information and awareness about the Church for now, since they feel the media is watching. The latter was probably just an effort to get people's attention. I don't know what Anon's plans are, though.

That's probably for the best. They're going to have to act pretty quick if they don't want to get the cyber-terrorist label stuck on them to just dismiss everything else.

E: Nevermind, apparently they're just switching to a different kind of terrorism to keep them on their toes.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Gianttoe posted:

I respond calmly because there's no use in arguing with you when you are so obviously right.

Seriously, though. I'm not going to berate you just because you corrected me when I was being dumb.

I don't know why but this exchange just made me so :gbsmith:. There's something nice about almost all the people in this thread actually being up for ideas and discussing them rationally, rather than erupting into flame wars when somebody points out a flaw. Goons are making me proud.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

White Rock posted:

I like the drawings: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/Kixxe/SCIENTOLEGY.png

Is... is that legit? I'm not even sure what's supposed to be illustrated there. Scientologists are actors and lawyers and bankers, but apparently they can't attract any artists. :colbert:

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

They're going to unite... as a tube? poo poo, guys. :gonk:

Bloody Holly posted:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=17985TcUAmo&feature=related

Anonymous = Ebaums now?

Exactly. This couldn't possibly have anything to do with anyone from Anonymous wanting to both throw a hater off their trail and incriminate a rival website at the same time, why would they want to do that? :geno:

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

jaollim posted:

Yeah, this video worked out well for him. What with the 1,973 comments to it, complete with a few postings of his home address and phone number.

Your Weird Uncle posted:

true, but if you check /b/ you'll see they've dug up a bit of dirt on "the regime".

And thus the distractions begin. Anonymous, your focus is being tested. Do you have the resolve?

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

A student posted:

This has me scared. Are they really that vindictive?

Against individuals? Yes, definitely. I think this might be overkill, however, they don't have the money or resources to actually tail as many people as are likely to be involved in this.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Mongoose Face posted:

(... I don't exactly know what else they could dig up on me. I sure as hell can't think of anything.)

Doesn't mean they can't just make something up. You went to a protest rally? Congratulations! You're a religious bigot. :what:

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

EVIR Gibson posted:

Anonymous takes over woot's podcast. gently caress
http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootfiles/20080127-kr0u2p.mp3

That... sounds more like a (fairly lame) parody.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

Too bad Seattle cops are pricks. they may arrest us if we look homeless or a like a threat.

A sharp suit and a smiling face is your friend, if you've got 'em.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

I'm a lazy sonofabitch, but I also have all 3 major Seattle news channels interested in this story. King 5, Komo 4 and KCPQ 13. What do I need to email them to tell them what they need to know, and what they don't?

e: scratch that, VERY interested. Our local Fox affiliate is extremely intrigued by this.

The Chanology wiki and the recent Anonymous Youtube videos would probably be better, more concise things to send (especially since the most recent video was intended specifically for press release).

Mention this thread if you must, but it's not a very good place to go for quickly learning about what's going on. It's too long, and as well behaved as almost everyone is, there's still too much extra noise, bickering, and comments.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Speed Seducer posted:

you make it sound like 98 pages and almost 4000 replies is "long"

For a thread that's only 5 days old, and is longer than most of the ones that have been active for months? Yeah, why do you think we keep getting people wandering in who haven't bothered to read any of it. :sigh:

Marius posted:

I'm pretty sure Billboard space is expensive, sadly.

A website about billboards that I googled posted:

Depending on size and location, expect to pay from $75 to $200 per month for rural sites, and from to $900 to $2,500 per month for city and interstate signs. If you're renting more than one billboard, negotiate a discount. The billboards on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood run $10,000 per month, whereas the monthly tab for the billboard in Jonesboro, Arkansas, is $525 entering town and $375 on your way back out.

Expensive, yes, but not so much as to be unfeasible.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

"Wise Beard Man", Mark Bunker, has a new video out this morning. He does a pretty decent Alec Guinness impression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A3WnmcRbTQ -- Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8FiDLY-XSQ -- Part 2

Jaster fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 28, 2008

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

The-Mole posted:

Wee need to contact the Phelps church (godhatesfags people) and see about getting them to go after scientology some time. It wouldn't help any side at all, but it would be great because neither side knows when to back down at all. I guess I can dream.

This thread is massive, so it's pretty easy to miss, but this has already been brought up and dismissed as a terrible idea. To save time, Islamist extremists are also not a good idea to try to turn into our personal army.

Basketballbat posted:

Ill get back with a translation later.

(gems include an attempt to link anon with drug dealers and gunrunners.)

That's fun, can't wait to hear what it says.

And really? Drug dealers and gunrunners? Of all the damnable traits of the chans, they still have to try to make up different ones? :psyduck:

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Chromeburn posted:

I see CoS either trying to mess with the protests by sending people in and causing trouble (possibly under the guise of a fellow protestor), causing disruption, anything to discredit the protest. Or withdrawing themselves entirely from the whole event.

Depending, of course, on the individual place, it's very likely that all possible scenarios will be seen. It's possible (though unlikely) that some of the centers in smaller cities might be taken completely by surprise (in which case they'll probably act like the Orlando video, where they call the cops, grumble a bit, and then just close the blinds and turn on the sprinklers).

Also, re: the E-meter stuff, it's just an ohmmeter? I thought in function it was at least able to function as some sort of crude lie detector. Maybe I just don't know enough about how those work. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Harder posted:

Voting this become the OP of the next thread.

I agree, but did you really have to quote the entire post just to say that? :(

Squish posted:

Mr Fetch has gone :godwin:

I almost feel sorry for this guy. Some people just need to know when to chill out about things. I can't imagine what his big attack is going to be. Is he going to downvote everybody else's videos? :psyduck: