Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
Bill O'Reiley comes on against at 11 eastern, 10pm central (I believe).

The guy has a temper and will go on for days/weeks about stuff if it pisses him off. You just have to get him going (and it appears tonight was an opening).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

marit posted:

I hope he doesn't recant. They can go after small pissant individuals, but going after a celebrity, in this day & age, can't be as easy. Especially O'Reily since he's so outspoken. He won't shut up about how CoS members keep on harassing him. At least I hope he wouldn't shut up about it!
Christ, O'Reily wouldn't shut up about it. Like I said, he's got a temper and he likes to obsess on some things, but he probably blows off the CoS stuff. They'd have to go after him for him to get really pissed off. He would actually be fairly formidable, in that he wouldn't shut up about it.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Schmev posted:

Seems the CNN thing is just about the Jerry O'Connell video.
Well, that's something - the video is hilarious, and knowing how much of a control freak Cruise is, he's got to be foaming at the mouth over Jerry's parody of him.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

As much as I would like to believe that there is some huge master plan for taking down the CoS like a huge release of secret documents or evidence of ethical or legal wrong doings by them I don't know that I believe that there really is a phase two yet.

My fear is that they have just pissed off the tiger without having a plan for when it get's out of its cage.
I think their whole plan is to get the tiger really pissed off, out of its cage, and loose in the middle of a huge crowd.

They are just getting liquored up and starting to throw poo poo at the tiger right now.

I think they have a shot at doing it, because this is probably their ultimate wet dream. Their hampered by the media being retards and not understanding what's going on, but all of that will be forgotten if the COS responds.

At the very least, this is going to draw more attention to the Tom Cruise video.

Enfenestrate posted:

Hopefully someone comes along and kills the tiger because it attacked a bunch of idiot kids who were taunting it, but I doubt your metaphor would work out like it does in reality.
My metaphor works better :colbert:

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Sundae posted:

Not that I'm in any way claiming endorsement or involvement by anyone here, but ever heard of Goon Attention Deficit Disorder?

Also referenced as Goon Projects

The chans suffer from it just as much. All CoS really has to do is not say anything inflammatory for a week, and that's usually enough for the next big craze to distract the hordes, so to speak. I'd love for this one to be "different", but I'm a tad skeptical based on past events.

Adrojo posted:

IIRC, the Channers harassed that racist asshat Hal Turner for what seemed like months.

If the Channers don't get the attention they want, it will just piss them off even more, and get them even more obsessed with it.

If anything, a week of silence/low-key stuff from COS would just get make them even more determined.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Seksiness posted:

El Reg have reported this now (I know a lot of the UK goons read the register)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/25/ddos_scientology_controversy/
:cool:

Register posted:

Anonymous justifys its actions by alleging the Church of Scientology has misused copyright and trademark law in censoring criticism against the church. The campaign was sparked off by the church's attempts to remove a promotional video featuring Scientologist Tom Cruise from YouTube. The clip features a video from Cruise's Freedom Medal ceremony from late 2004 in which the actor speaks with (frankly scary) intensity about the responsibilities of being a Scientologist.

After the Church of Scientology lodged a copyright infringement complaint YouTube pulled the video, but the material has since resurfaced on Gawker.com which has stated it will not remove the video.

Gawker's servers have got to be straining with all of the traffic being sent their way. I've never really cared for most of their sites, but give them credit for running with this.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Crazedmongoose posted:

Unverified information that CoC (Cult of the Dead Cow) is taking an interest in this.

Which is I guess much better than a random group of /b/s and /i/s I guess.
Some of the members are, but I don't know about cDc as a whole.

e: and if cDc got involved officially, the whole "script kiddie" moniker that's being tossed around would have to stop being used. A lot/most of cDcers are old enough to be the parents of the channers.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Austin/UT goons, do the Knights of Buh still exist? It would be right up their alley if there was a protest in Austin (especially given the proximity of the Texas HQ for Scientology across the street).

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Bass Concert Hall posted:

To my knowledge they haven't appeared on campus for years. And yeah, that Scientology place on the drag creeps the poo poo out of me.
It's costing them a lot of money to have it directly across from the UT campus. They aren't doing it for the prestige factor.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

maxnmona posted:

Also apparently they have a volcano on the cover of the dianetics book because it is supposed to trigger subconscious reactions in the thetan inside you as it remembers being frozen, transported to earth, dropped in a volcano, and exploded with a hydrogen bomb.

This is probably common knowledge or something now, but it's still pretty weird.
It wasn't until a year or two ago that I found out about the volcano thing - I always wondered why their TV ads from the '80s had volcanos errupting. I'd be willing to bet most who have seen the books or the TV ads before the internet age probably had no clue about why the volcano is such a huge deal to them.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

emeraldskies posted:

Even if this just ends up being a PR headache for scientology, Anon can't stand to lose, and CoS has nothing it can leverage against them, it seems.
Yeah, I don't get the people who think that Anon/Channers will get bored anytime soon - if Scientology does nothing, that will just piss off the channers even more and make them even more determined, and if Scientology does try something, then the channers will really go wild.

e: I know some stereotype them as having short attention spans, but if you look at the objects of their attention, the term "run it into the ground" is not a part of their vocabulary. Stuff never gets old to them.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

AndrewBK posted:

I think the success of all this relies on how seriously people are willing to take it. Handing out flyers is a great start, but it has limit reach potential and might be considered "hippyish."
February 10th will be a good indicator, if all of the planned protests bring in enough numbers (I'm guessing that's why the date is a few weeks from now, to get the word out).

That's where the media would make the leap from "kiddy hackers" to "holy crap look at what's going on" (assuming the numbers are there, and the media is interested, which shouldn't be too hard to pull off).

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Satyricon posted:

Unless, of course, people are arrested at these rallies if the Churches (I use that term loosely) call them is as "terrorist threats".
In Austin, back in like 2000 or 2001, some woman with Scientology (Cathy something), supposedly tried to get the police to go after some people snooping around the Texas Scientology HQ (I think they were taking pictures of it or watching it or picketing it or something). They were UT students I believe. It's been so long, I don't remember the details.

That said, I had a friend several years ago who was hanging out around there (before they closed the arcade next door), and he had scientologists take his picture.

So basically, at least in Austin, if anybody protests anything, expect to get your picture taken at the very least. That said, my friend looked into it, and apparently Austin PD will be more than happy to take your complaints about them if they harass you, and they will act upon it if they go to far.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Cotton B. Gross posted:

Xenu's a bad guy for Scientologists, so he should probably be portrayed as a good guy in the leaflets.
Yeah, Parker and Stone made an infamous little statement about praising him after Cruise mucked around with the South Park re-airings.

MisterEuroPride posted:

I'm surprised that foxnews decided to give this a pretty balanced spin.
If O'Reilly ever mixes it up with the CoS, FN will go into overdrive against them. Plus, Murdoch is not a CoS fan, which is probably why, as pointed out, this has spread to all of the Murdoch-owned news networks/papers/etc.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

tamphex posted:

Do you honestly think because something hits the broadsheets that its really going to make a difference?
There have been people working for literally years and years to get just a fraction of the attention on Scientology that the Anon guys managed to get in less than 48 hours.

The fact is, many people have now sought out the Tom Cruise video, who might not have seen it otherwise. I consider that an accomplishment in and of itself.

Are there are more people who are aware of how different Cruise and Scientology can be, than there were 48 hours ago? The answer would have to be yes.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 26, 2008

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

GringoGrande posted:

Edmonton Sun's article is pretty good. Hopefully it hasn't been posted before.
That's a drat good article and you can tell it's starting to wear on the scientologists' nerves.

tres dessert posted:

Make a newsfeed of stuff happening :)
I was thinking a good RSS setup (throw up Wordpress and start adding info) might be really useful if people knew about it - a lot websites tend to stick to RSS feeds since it's much easier for them to monitor stuff that way...

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Captain Corduroy posted:

My friends and I plan to flier the Austin location this weekend.
Take a video camera, you will probably be confronted if your on the drag in front of the Texas HQ.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Starky posted:

They might get a bigger following now that it's on the news and people are all curious about who or what anonymous is. The first raid I saw posted on other sites and on here involved only 3 people. With the media coverage they might find more and more people joining their cause.

If not, then all those attempts to get attention was just wasted time on their part.
I could see some of these smaller gatherings before February 10th leading up to making February 10th even bigger, if these smaller gatherings generate a lot of attention (either from the media or from scientologists).

If some of the channers think they are going to get funny videos/pictures, the various HQs will be crawling with channers trying to outdo one another.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Xenon posted:

Well, considering how taking their "Stress Test" adds you to their global membership numbers (they claim millions, actual paying members are only in the thousands), I'd say it's fair to say a lot of us ARE "followers of Scientology", at least according to the CoS.
Given CoS's property holdings alone, there have to be quite a few more than "thousands".

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Roteaugen posted:

After how many times I friggin' submitted it, I was HOPING it would get there :colbert: ... but the location is quite disheartening

Videodrome posted:

These are what I consider “mainstream” news sites. Just to keep this all in perspective, let's see how any of this is being covered in places where real people get their news:
It was/is on Drudge and it gets more pageviews per day than many actual news sites. Hell, the guy who runs the Washington Post even admitted that Drudge was the #1 site for referring traffic to the WP, and Wall Street Journal, CNN, NY Times, etc., advertise on it, so it's definitely there. Heading into the weekend as well, some probably didn't want to spend the time doing anything.

That said, I think the coverage will pick up when there are people in large numbers around the various HQs.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Looking Glass posted:

Someone needs to write this up.
The FatalFarms guys need to do the video of it.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

I have to admit, my first thought was channers:

http://www.mysuncoast.com/Global/story.asp?S=7778243&nav=menu577_2_1

quote:

OCALA, Fla. (AP) - Florida Highway Patrol says five young men are dead today after a car they were riding in crashed after traveling off an airport runway.

The runway is at the exclusive "fly-in" community of Jumbolair Aviation Estates.

The crash at the community, which is also the home of actor John Travolta, happened at about 3:45 a.m.

According to a preliminary FHP investigation, a 2008 gray BMW with 5 occupants, ages 18 to 20, was traveling at a high rate of speed on the airstrip.
Turns out to be local high school kids being stupid.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Mozzie, can you explain this from the goonmeet thread?

Mozzie posted:

After being followed for 30 minutes and about 3 kilometers today I would like to say;

WEAR A loving MASK.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Alasdair Crawfish posted:

Scientologists harrass, smear, and bully their critics. It's best to remain anonymous
Oh believe me, I know that. It just sounded like Mozzie was followed/stalked today.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

bob arctor posted:

I think that even Scientologists wouldn't be quite crazy enough to harass a bunch of teenage hentai freaks. Though the results would be beyond amusing if it were to happen.
Mozzie may have been stalked today for 3km and they aren't a teenage hentai freak.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Mozzie posted:

yes. I don't want to say more than that.

:tinfoil:

:aaa: call the cops next time.

Seriously, anybody that's followed, call the loving cops. They cannot legally stalk you.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Holy poo poo, I can see why you guys were stalked.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

samurai slowdown posted:

Here's the OReilly Factor clip that everybody was asking about a couple of days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BeosWfs8yg

Thanks. Not an O'Reilly fan, but he obviously doesn't care for them. I'm impressed with the female correspondent/attorney on there.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Were you stalked by a cop or two? You don't have to answer :tinfoil:

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

not a dinosaur posted:

I plan on doing some recon early this week, but from the looks of Google Streetview it's a pretty tiny place. Austin is going to be sweeter ;)
Austin is also not only the HQ for the entire CoS in Texas, but has a lot more foot traffic in front of the CoS HQ since it's across the street from UT and has a ton of shopping in the area, and it's a lot bigger of an area to work with. Unless the weather is complete poo poo, the amount of foot traffic in a few hours would be substantial.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Smashing Link posted:

As others have stated, with their notoriously short attention spans, the chans will probably get tired of this game in a week or two. But what then?
I'm not sure where people get this opinion, but the chans can get really obsesseive/compulsive about stuff - look at the Hal Turner thing - it went on for months. I can easily see them riding this for far longer than the Hal Turner thing, because it has the potential for providing them with their comedy for a very long time.

Unlike here where a joke can get old and run into the ground after day, stuff they find amusing has no time limit.

On top of that, if Scientology ignores them, they only get more pissed off and determined to get a big reaction, and if they get a big reaction, then it's only going to encourage them to try to get a bigger reaction.

I kind of understand where people get the opinion that they have short attention spans, but actually, out of all of the groups that could have declared "war" on Scientology, the channers are the one group that will not let up anytime soon. They may get quiet for a week or two, but then somebody does something, and instantly the collective goes bonkers.

It really is a perfect match.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

tonelok posted:

I'm not sure where people get this opinion, but the chans can get really obsesseive/compulsive about stuff - look at the Hal Turner thing - it went on for months. I can easily see them riding this for far longer than the Hal Turner thing, because it has the potential for providing them with their comedy for a very long time.
I was completely wrong, the Hal Turner stuff didn't go on for months, it apparently didn't wind down until a few weeks ago, which means it went on for over a year.

Funny that the Hal Turner stuff ends and then a few weeks later the Scientology stuff starts.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

duck monster posted:

I hope these guys realise the Scientology 'party van' is a nasty piece of work and could make people very loving poor. When the Scientologists attempt to gently caress people over, its usually a pretty brutal sight.
People do need to be careful, there were already goons stalked by the CoS this weekend. On the other hand, there is safety in numbers, and from reading around, most people who get stalked are usually outnumbered by the CoS people stalking them.

Of course if they get nasty with the anon/chan types (or anybody associated with this), the poo poo will really hit the fan for the scienos.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

PopeOnARope posted:

What's actually scaring me right now is if you read the partyvan entries on Project Chanology, they've gone from 4chan lovechild to professionally written, almost ratafied code.

duck monster posted:

I'm pretty loving impressed at the number of people getting all activist about this. Its good to be passionate, but just be careful folks. Don't get lawyered.
There are going to a lot of people like goons, etc., who are going to show up at this thing because they think it's right.

Some people question the attention span of the channers, without looking into it, and thought that it was crazy that the protest date was set a few weeks away, figuring that the channers would lose interest.

It's probably the exact opposite. Part of the reason why the date was probably set to be a few weeks away, Anonymous wants to build up a fuckload of tension from scientology. It's their whole "point has to be driven home" thing.

I expect that there will be a lot of people at these things, who are expecting the scienos to freak out.

Like PopeOnARope noticed, there are people behind this who seem to know exactly what they are doing and know how to guide the rest of Anonymous.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 27, 2008

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I was thinking the same thing, but my only concern would be that those representatives in states with a large scientology presence might not be so willing to deal with the church. I know it sounds kinda :tinfoil:, but considering how powerful lobbying has become I think it still should be an important consideration.
:catholic: legislators don't want conservative religious organizations in their areas voting against them because the really religious types can and do vote in large numbers (Karl Rove can tell you all about that).

It is an election year for Representatives (And for many Senators). They don't want large blocks of Christian voters voting for their opponents.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Queenie Z posted:

Just so you guys know, I want to go to the Austin protest. I want to buy a Guy Fawkes mask and stand in the cold hading out fliers. But, alas, I'm only 17, and my parents were all "HAHAHA no" to the entire idea.

But I'll keep putting fliers around my college campus (yay duel credit?) and around the places I go to eat and stuff. I'll be doing what I can from the homefront and praying for everyone's safety on the front lines. Good luck, and Xenu Bless.
Just raising awareness alone is good. MySpace, Facebook, etc., all seem to be getting a lot of attention now.

This was posted on the ex-scienos board from five days ago (and it may have been posted earlier in this thread):

quote:

Like, for instance, they seemed to have been listening when they were here.

They addressed the concerns raised on this board about their actions and they responded specifically to those concerns in the message they posted.

It doesn't look to me like a bunch of stupid kids.
Whoever is behind Anonymous seems to have been doing their homework, if they were pouring over the ex-scieno boards and Xenu.net, etc.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Mozzie posted:

No, it's Lisa's birthday.
Yeah, that was the other part (and I think it had something to do with Hitler as well).

Anon could have done all of this a week before the 10th, but I think they gave such a large lead-time to allow people to organize, as well as to keep ratcheting up the tension/paranoia of the scienos.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

http://www.partyvan.info/index.php/Project_Chanology/Target_IRL/Scheduled_Protests_and_Raids

quote:

Set at 11am to ensure lunch crowd. Meet across the street from the co-op on the UT campus. There will be tons of University of Texas student organizations touting their own doctrines in the area. Meet there, lots of people to mingle with like you're going about your own business. Cover your signs. Could someone find out the laws for Austin? Masks, wigs, photography(can we photograph strangers), zoning protests, etc? This is Austin, you're guaranteed to have a ton of people from UT just joining in for the hell of it. Someone make a Facebook group. At 11am, exactly, everyone march over. I believe the UT Towers bells will ring at 11. This should be your cue, if not, just walk over at 11am. Could someone also post on craigslist events once the rest of the details are sorted out.
This is the Austin one. Whoever put it up on partyvan mentioned using the UT Tower bells at 11 as the signal :cool:

Also they mentioned using Craigslist events as well.

e: wrong thread :blush:

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

dot_matrix posted:

Digg is in a sticky situation, I'm sure they don't want the levels of harassment that scientology could put on them. However they could have gone about it a little better.
Scientology is not going to screw with Digg. Too many people in the tech industry and in the tech journalism circles frequently check it out, plus Kevin Rose could simply mention it to a few people and things would really start happening and getting spread around. The EFF alone would cream its pants over the thought of the scienos going after Digg.

Chances are, as others said, one of their algorithms probably kicked in, or they just wanted a respite for a day or two.

Of course, it's just going to piss off Digg users who will then get very creative :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Game_Whino posted:

Is the issue with digg an automated thing or are they doing the helldumping manually? If it's the former it seems like it would be simple enough to just start sticking 0-space characters in between the letters at random...or would that not work?
It could be both, like the 09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0 thing.

Automated would catch all of the easy ones, which would be a large portion. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a safe topic in a few days.