Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I have been following this passively for a few days just waiting for the inevitable point when /b/ would lose interest. Oddly enough this thing is taking on a life of its own and making /b/ seem like a reenactment of V for Vendetta.

I got the biggest shock today at work when several of my coworkers (mostly non computer savvy,professional, 45+ adults) talking about how they would never watch Cruise, Travolta, etc. movies because of their connection with CoS. They were referencing websites and talked about how a group of underground hackers were trying to knock them down a notch. It was surreal. The last place on earth that I would expect to hear about /b/ would be in my office.

Crazy how this thing is taking shape. But they did accomplish one goal and that is to get people to start talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Saki posted:

There's been drama in the chan invasion crew. Apparently there were a few infiltrators.

Wow! We now have Cloak & Dagger intrigue and suspense to add to this continuing drama!

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ToastyPotato posted:

But at that point they had still accomplished very little. Also, did they barrage the stations and actually make them notice the video message?

Oh poo poo. O'Reilly is calling out COS on intimidating the media.

O'Reiley, you magnificent bastard. I usually hate you with a passion but tonight I lay aside my liberal hate and salute you.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Funkygenome posted:

Well, I was going to watch 3 10 to Yuma tonight, but I've been glued to this thread for two and a half hours! It will be interesting to see what comes of this tomorrow.

Same here, I was going to do about 1,500 other things tonight but I've been stuck on this thread and observing the events. I did pop V for Vendetta into my HD-DVD player (yeah HDDVD sucks but the drive was free and I still prefer BluRay) just to set the mood.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Anukahn posted:

http://www.knbc.com/news/15132220/detail.html?dl=mainclick
Hacker group declares war on scientology

Well, that's the first article that I've seen that addresses some of the issues that Anon is basing their action upon. Precisely what needs to be done to be effective. While the dDOS attacks I have my reservations about, the dissemnation of information about CoS and the subsequent debate is certainly starting to take shape.

I like armchair quarterbacking this thing, because quite frankly, I'm not sure if its because I don't have the balls to be in the trenches at this point or I'm smart enough to know when to pick my battles.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

the truth posted:

I wonder how long they will keep it up, as they normally get bored after a few days.

As long as they keep printing stories about them and information continues to get out there about CoS, they'll only gain strength. Take the attention away and Anon will fade away. I was skeptical of their staying power and commitment to their cause, but so far I've been surprised all the way along.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Hive Mind posted:

I gotta say when I was reading the chans eariler this week it was like the forges of Isengard gearing up. Propaganda posters and dos packs flying around.... I had a loving awesome foreboding feeling when I saw it. Now the waves of orcs are crashing against the walls of the scientologists. I knew it would be epic and it is. and by this weekend I bet it'll break pretty much all major media.
The only thing I'm still waiting on is for Colbert to address the chans.

Let's just hope they don't have Gandolf or those two gay hobbits on their side. They already have Maverick and Vinnie Barbarino in their stable.

But I get what you're saying because I did the same thing. I rarely if ever go there, usually only on a whim, but I had heard about the chans getting their dander up about Scientology. When I got there I didn't get the feeling that this was another Habbo or Stickam raid, that there were some serious minds and talent behind this. So I've been watching the news of this pretty closely.

I honestly don't think this is going to stop anytime soon. It's only just begun for the chans and as the news media starts taking notice, the more people rally to the cause. But the biggest thing that it seems that the chans are trying to accomplish is to disseminate the information about Scientology and crumble their recruitment structure and stir a public backlash against the movement. So far it's working but its early and their resolve will be tested.

Like someone else pointed out, poo poo just got real. Lets get out the popcorn and beer helmets, it's like the Goon superbowl party!

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Curiouser posted:

It can also make why the Anonymous are doing this into a news story. In the UK, that offers additional legal protection, since they're reporting on current events. Here, the press can do a similar sort of legal side-step by reporting on Anonymous's claims in detail without explicitly claiming those claims are true, which might make them brave enough about their chances of being sued (and their public support if they are sued). It also has the added bonus of possibly making this common knowledge without anyone to sue for slander or libel.

Digg's already informed offices full of professionals. Some of them will gossip to their spouses, kids, whoever. This has already done some good. If you want to contribute with a clear conscious, gossip!

Yeah, I posted about my own expierence about this earlier today. My office was abuzz with people who had seen or heard of these happenings through Digg, Gawker, etc. Most of these people really had no clue what Scientology was aside from being a "Hollywood" religion. Most of them had read some of the controversy with CoS and talking about that as well. Some vowed to never see a Cruise/Travolta/etc. film or show.

It's definitely increased awareness if people in the bible belt are all up in arms about it.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Slave posted:

There was a text file posted by them in 95 where they declared war on Scientology and someone dredged it up.

Yeah I saw that one, pretty funny stuff too. They say that Pol Pot was a Scientologist and lay all of the deaths at the feet of L.Ron "Old Mother" Hubbard.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Petey posted:

That's probably good. I was only in the irc channel a few minutes last night before I realized I was in an irc channel with a bunch of channers and closed the program and exploded my computer.

But seriously, do what you will to CoS, but harassing the children of their lawyers goes beyond even for /i/.

Agreed. They have to drive the point home why they are doing this and keep their targets focused. With each target they will need clear and concise reasons for doing so. Otherwise, they will get labeled "internet hacker terrorists" and all of the momentum goes to waste.

I watched that new YouTube vid, while good, it lacks the ability to clearly explain to the media what started this. Sure, it covers some of it but its easily lost by someone who is merely looking at the "attack" angle rather than the underlying reasons why. Or maybe its the Marketing & PR guru in me that is causing me to over analyze.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

David Palmer posted:

It's a nice idea but before it could happen Anonymous would have to clean up their act. Pizza prank calls are funny but ultimately do nothing to expose the organisation's terrible practices and hidden past. As someone mentioned earlier, a "Loose Change" style video would be fantastic, but short of that any AP coverage would likely be centred on the crazed hackers attacking a church.

While it's true they focus on the "crazed internet hackers" angle, I'm not sure they would be getting ANY attention otherwise. If they just started throwing the video out there there wouldn't be as much interest in it without these "attacks". Now they have everyones attention, they are picking up allies, news outlets are in the initial stages of reporting this, and Joe Six-Pack is talking about it around the water cooler. I'm not sure they would have had this much success (to this point) without their shock & awe tactics.

Not that I agree with the shock tactics or hell pretty much anything the chans do, but there's something uniquely reminiscent of Sun Tzu in all of this.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Pelvidar posted:

Okay, you know what this sounds like to me? A big re-write. I'll bet the farm that very soon the "leaders" of the "church" will basically remove all the Xenu stuff and streamline all of the absurdly "embarassing" stuff out of scientology (not that it isn't 'all' embarassing).

That may very well be the case, but what happens to the "true believers" that have been fed this horseshit and believe it? If the leaders start ripping pages out to make their religion more palatable to the masses, they run the risk of splintering their religion once again and increase the odds of someone going "rogue" and blowing the cover off the whole thing.

They may back off of the Xenu and try to put a different spin on their "craziness" that is being perceived in the media, but I don't think they will risk waking up their clone army.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 25, 2008

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

GringoGrande posted:

Stuff

That's exactly right, they have certainly tried to rebrand their image. For a long while, they got a lot of positive attention (ET did a report on the "attraction" of Scientology to celebrities which was a total shill piece) from their stable of celebrities. Now that the celebrities are batshit insane and are a liability, they will have to shift their approach once again.

But as for Xenu, they are just going to pretend he doesn't exist while knowing full well that Xenu and the entire alien events are the basis that their religion is founded on. I have no problem with them worshipping this over any other deity, but their "church" is a pyramid scam that destroys the lives of people that don't submit to their way of thinking. That's not a religion, that's a cult.

I would be interested in hearing what a psychoanalyst would have to say about the demeanor, mannerisms, and speech of these culties. I've looked at a great deal of these videos and these people are just not all there. They look blank, stripped away of any amount of their self and dignity. They repeat common phrases known to the inner circle and viciously attack anyone that doesn't toe the line with their religion.

EDIT

The last two lines are somewhat ironic considering Anon is known to do those same things as well

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 25, 2008

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

CaptainWinky posted:

Someone earlier suggested mentioning Lisa McPherson. A simple "Who is Lisa McPherson?" or "Remember Lisa McPherson" is just vague enough to get someone's interest and make them google it.

Also don't forget punch and pie.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AndrewBK posted:

I like. The headline will certainly grab attention and can be justified with fact. This will work. Get Christian youth groups to see this (and the relevant text).

Some intrepid Anons could probably find some really good sources to distribute these among the Christian youth on Youtube and the internets. Targeted messages to that audience could gain a lot of support from those compelled to stick up for their homeboy Jesus.

Just saying, not that I would advocate it or anything.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AndrewBK posted:

Agreed. Perhaps the best thing that can come from this would be for someone to take the reins on the back of mainstream media coverage and inject some direction and credibility into this campaign

By in large the chans have handled this thing really admirably. Sure, there's a bunch of people spouting their catch phrases and acting the fool, but there are far more that are actually being useful and putting some effort behind their "plan".

On that note, however, there has been talk of some more experienced names in the underground scene coming on board to steer things. In fact, from what I've seen posted around it sounds like quite a few already are.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Alasdair Crawfish posted:

I know it's been said, but it needs reiterated. We need to hit the scientologists in their wallets.

Here is a list of scientologists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scientologists

As anonymous (as well as SA) is mostly made up of middle class young males, we are Hollywood's target audience. If we refuse to watch movies or television shows made by scientologists, and express our reasons for doing so, businesses will start backing away from the crazy kooks. As well as not watching them, we must not buy their DVDs, posters, tshirts, or any other associated merchandise. If you really must watch the movie - steal it from the internet :)

Also: stay away from United Artists films, theatres, etc. They are run by the Scientologists as well as managed by the Tiny Gnome Tom Cruise. They got involved in this after he was run out of town by Paramount for his crazy antics.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

BeastUK posted:

And Splongcat gets the recognition he so desired... and deserves.

Wow, that certainly hurts the cause just a bit. Not that it really mattered anyway but this is something that CoS would certainly latch onto if and when they decide to say something about this thing.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Queenie Z posted:

Please, Anon couldn't possibly pull something like that off even if they wanted to.

Doesn't really matter, they will get tied into that no matter what. There is no hierarchy of hackers to the average American. They will sensationalize the word, tie the two events together and scare everyone that "Anonymous will cut your power too!"

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AndrewBK posted:

I might be being a bit naive here, but how much does an advert cycle cost over the weekened for an average station?

I don't want to advocate, but my daylight work is in stocks and that, so I'm not too sure in what this kind of funds this venture will require.

Someone in the bizz please let us know.

Depends on the station, market, plays, etc. Obviously you would have to target the specific areas that this exposure would have the most success, i.e. cities with active Scientology movements and those tend to be bigger cities.

Newspaper ads may be the best route because radio stations tend to back away from the blatantly controversial plus print is cheaper right now. Take for instance in Austin, you can get a decent column in black & white for about $300 - scale up for larger sizes. Granted, the $300 ad isn't going to be huge and eye-catching but it might cause a stir enough to get something moving.

Not that I would advocate this or anything, just pointing out ad rates.

*EDIT*

$300 per column inch, scale up from there - not $300 total. Sorry, got in a rush.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 26, 2008

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AndrewBK posted:

I'm just a humble Goon who is willing to fund a serious campaign against Scientology. Money I can offer. Please let me know how.

My suggestion is to hold off on that for if and when there is a response from the other side. At that point, it may pay to break down their response properly and buy ads, websites, etc.

It's what they will most likely do (as best they can).

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AndrewBK posted:

Okay, allow me to propose my contribution.

1. A website with factual, uber easy to comprehend material...
2. An advert linking to said website (short yet effective)
3. Create wide spread knowledge of what we are trying to stop...

Good idea. I would also highly suggest to not affiliate it with Anonymous or any of the other movements that are going on right now. It should present itself as a information clearinghouse that doesn't affiliate with either side. Just present the facts as we know them, perhaps as a rundown of this entire event in a journalistic manner.

It can be done, but it has to be done right.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 27, 2008

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Slob posted:

Perhaps an easy-to-understand timeline complete with links to whatever resources exist to corroborate events, including the chanology events.

This. Completely this.

If you want to get the info out without shoving it in the face of Scientology and screaming "HAHAHAHA EPIC ****", you have to tie it into current news articles. For instance, if you want to put the docs up reference a media report, talk about it and reference the docs. It's a gray area legally with the copyrights and such coming into play but Drudge, Gawker, et.al get away with it all the time because it clearly illustrates the facts in a current event.

One caveat - when CoS issues a statement or someone contacts you to give their input, you have to put it out there or otherwise you're painting a big red bullseye on your own head.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

falcon2424 posted:

Is there a good way to convert cash to internet-usable money in a non-traceable way?

I'd like to contribute some small resources to the cause, but really don't need my name out there.

Yeah, most of us are here giving opinions, wisecracks, and cheering the bastards on. For most of us, that's as far as it will go (myself included).

I'm interested in how this plays out because it is such an intriguing study in how internet movements originate and mass ideas are spread. I wonder how many Anon's there are involved in this thing?

One things for certain: The media is getting wind of this thing and its spreading at a pretty good pace. The longer CoS goes without saying anything the longer the opportunity goes for Anon to get their side of the fight out there unimpeded. Ignoring them worked at first but this thing has taken on a life of its own. Either that or the weekend will cause most people to forget all about this stuff and go back to doing whatever it is that anon's do.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 26, 2008

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I may be in London for business during the protests. Any UK Goons willing to take a Yank out for a stroll and a pint?

Oh, and just like St. Jerome said - there will probably be some backlash eventually over how this whole thing was conducted. However, I don't think that any amount of legislation short of tearing down the internet could silence underground movements such as this. Plus, if things start to go that way then it will be incumbent on the people in the movement and those just watching from the sidelines to speak up and set the record straight about what the whole things was about. I don't think CoS even wants that out there.

Hell, it's provided me some amusement but I don't have a drat thing at stake in this. I really don't care for either side in this whole sordid affair, but I'll pull for Anon since the odds are insanely stacked against them. It's like betting on a Special Olympics triathlon.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

grrowl posted:

There's nothing really very evil about anon. Sending thousands of boxes to someone's house isn't really on the same scale as some of malicious poo poo Scientology has done.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet here (every time i get back to this thread it's an extra 10+ pages longer) but scientology seems to be trying to hack the IRC, there's eavesdroppers everywhere and there's theories that they're hiring black-hats to take down our websites. It's slowly getting more and more epic, which means more lulz/win for anon, which is the entire point.

edit: what the gently caress happened to 711chan?!

If they think that by doing that sort of stuff back at Anon is going to stop them they aren't as smart as we all give them credit for. That will just draw them out even more. Plus that will put some of the more elite and experienced "computer experts" firmly in the corner of Anon. With the results so far, I wouldn't be going out on a limb to say that Anon planned for all of this.

The only things that stops Anon is their historically short attention span and their love for Hentai, loli, and meme's. This is so much fun to watch.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

burmart posted:

I'll actually go and grab dinner tonight at a restaurant next to a Scientology place in St. Pete. I'll be excited to see absolutely nothing unusual going on.

A hot chick standing outside might ask me if I'm interesting in seeing a movie, or taking a test, or whatever they ask. I'll just say "no thanks" and walk on down to Primi or that Indian Place.

Still haven't found that voting bar at the bottom of the thread? Maybe you should just close your browser since this thread seems to instill so much ire and cynicism in you.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

burmart posted:

Really, what is everyone expecting to accomplish? As far as I can tell, there isn't any specific goal or real organization towards meeting any special goal. Without that, there really isn't anything that anyone is going to accomplish.

Also, isn't this a discussion forum, or do we simply have to absolutely agree that this is a worthwhile cause?

This is getting to be a really tired and played out response around here, but I have to question your reading comprehension. You've obviously been reading the threads as evidenced by your repeated posts of criticism. There are a lot of things going on, not just here but other places as well, that are legal and the proper things to do when you want to voice your displeasure with something in our respective democracies. This may be a cause that you deem silly but a lot of others don't and feel that by protesting, writing, and distributing factual information they are contributing to useful change.

You really do have me puzzled. People are motivated to do something and in today's society that's a good thing (especially here, where we are considered lazy and/or nerds). Why's this a bad thing?

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

burmart posted:

Words

I am sympathetic to your statement about organization to some degree. However, in this case - at this stage - the lack of centralized organization plays in their favor. Since they are facing an opponent that has deep pockets and would take at aim at any organized "official" group to stifle their voice, this is the only true alternative. Their mission, as stated, is to raise awareness (not the chans, but the more sane types). Once this has been accomplished and they (CoS) can't easily take aim at groups or people without drawing criticism from the community or the government, groups can be formed and organizations put together in general.

I'm watching this studying how social movements are formed on the internet and in todays time. I don't have a horse in this race on either side, but to criticize those who want to make a difference in their own way is disingenuous to the spirit of our democracy as we know it. We can't allow one group in society to run an end around our basic fundamental rights and expect everyone else just to accept it blindly or face reprisals for not towing the line.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 28, 2008

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

burmart posted:

And what you seem to miss is that to effect any real change in society, people need to stand up regardless of the consequences. Yes, if you do, you're opening yourself to scientology suing you, but at the end of the day, if someone truly believes enough, they will stand up and put their money and life on the line to do what's RIGHT FOR SOCIETY, not right for the individual.

Jail, Bankruptcy and smear campaigns can be no deterrant to someone who has the level of dedication needed to effect long term real change.

You never address the grievances that people have brought up about this church. Irregardless to the merit of comparing it to other religions (I am completely non-religious and can't really stand any of them), you seem to miss the part about their destructive practices including but not limited to the "Fair Game" policy and their tax exempt status for basically running a pyramid scheme. They make you "disconnect" with people who might make you turn against them or make a decision on your own. There is no open flow of thought and ideas - you become just a part of the hivemind. Dissent is not tolerated. Not to mention the other aspects that include Ms. McPherson and others.

People should be free to practice religion as they see fit, but not if its destructive on society as a whole or the people that they bring in individually. There is plenty of evidence to back that up contained within this thread.

Much to my surprise previously and something that you haven't caught onto is that this movement has been in existence long before most of the people involved today were born. There are countless names and faces that have been fighting the fight that they feel is best for many years but they lacked a following or a mouthpiece if you will. Anonymous fills that role for them. Sure, it would be better if everyone could just sit at a table and sort out their differences but look at what they are fighting and you'll realize that this is just a step along the evolution of the movement. Faces will step out. Leaders will emerge.

I've stayed out of this thing for many reasons, but primarily just to see how things progress between now and the protests. I'm also not keen on attacking peoples beliefs and engaging in illegal behavior to get attention. Plus, Iu've never really wanted to support anything that the chans do for obvious reasons. However, I respect the rights of everyone on the opposition side to organize and make a difference. That's how change is affected in Democracies. It starts small and grows into something worthy. If that can be achieved, then Anonymous and the Chans should be commended for working within the law to make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

burmart posted:

Response

I'm not going to attack you for your response, in fact, I appreciate it. I do see what you're saying about the organization. I don't agree with your assertion that nothing will come of this. In fact, I believe a lot already has as evidenced by this thread and threads all across the internet on other forums. It's all about awareness and that's what is being accomplished. It's mobilized a mostly apathetic target audience to pay attention to the world around them and realize that their actions can affect real change. Sure, I would have loved for this type of reaction to have been used in other areas and other issues, but I'll never fault anyone for getting involved in a issue that they believe in regardless of their stance.

I think you might be measuring the "accomplishment" of the group on a relatively short stick. It sounded stupid to me at first too (what do the chans do that isn't?) but as it picked up more and more steam I quickly realized that what they started, even though it was done underhandedly, evolved into an effort that could effect change because so many people rallied behind it and identified with the net effect. The real measure will be the commitment behind it which I still question to some degree. But seeing what's been done so far it's hard to bet against the Anon movement. If they make it to Feb 10 intact and people actually show up, then this could be the beginning of something powerful.

Until then, I'll watch and wait. But I'm not going to deride them for making an attempt at something.