Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I swear I heard somewhere that one or both of the rear sparkplugs on xterras and frontiers are a real motherfucker to get at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah, the non-sport wood grains are either light brown or a darker reddish brown, whereas sport is a dark charcoal color. If you really care about KDSS I'd always still ask for and underbody pick to confirm it, as who knows if some particular previous owner went through the hassle/expense of swapping all the wood trims to the sport color. Agree though that the KDSS premium / rarity on a 470 doesn't seem worth paying or waiting for, but otoh I've never driven a KDSS 470. Most sellers these days seem to know what they have if they have a sport model (and if not, there are lots of people ready to swoop).

About all I know about Xterras is there were some years that had transmission issues, but I think that was pre-2009.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

There's also a strawberry milkshake issue with the radiators on the 2nd gen Xterras. Replace with aftermarket radiator and it's ok I think.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mantle posted:

There's also a strawberry milkshake issue with the radiators on the 2nd gen Xterras. Replace with aftermarket radiator and it's ok I think.

Was hanging out at my buddy’s shop tonight picking brains. When I mentioned xterra the first reply was “great as long as the first thing you do is replace the OEM transmission cooler”

The search has expanded yet again and I’m the moron contemplating rolling up to the Gambler in a Cayenne GTS. I don’t really want to pay to fuel a 400+ hp Porsche V8, but I don’t always choose wisely. There is a 2010 V6 in Denver that ticks all the boxes and my family is there so it’s an easy rear end visit.

Apropos of nothing here, one of the homies parked this on the top of Venomous Spider in Moab as a herd of 80k Jeeps created he was sitting there explaining to their confused looks “I spent $300”.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

highme posted:

The search has expanded yet again and I’m the moron contemplating rolling up to the Gambler in a Cayenne GTS. I don’t really want to pay to fuel a 400+ hp Porsche V8, but I don’t always choose wisely. There is a 2010 V6 in Denver that ticks all the boxes and my family is there so it’s an easy rear end visit.

Skip the v6. Get the v8. Seriously.

highme
May 25, 2001

This jezebel is already whispering false promises in my ear, I don’t need any encouragement.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/shingle-springs-2008-porsche-cayenne/7476848156.html

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

What does "salvage title, no accidents" mean? There's hail, flood, ...?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hail, flood, theft recovery, or other title issues

highme
May 25, 2001

Could be any number of things, but theft recovery would be my bet. Any time the restoration is more than 75% of estimated value an insurance company is just gonna total the car and cut you a check. The way the market value dropped on these makes it way more likely they’d try to buy you off then pay Porsche retail for parts.

I don’t know how many salvage titled cars I’ve owned, but it’s a few. For example stealing the front Recaros out of Mk2 Jetta GLIs or GTIs was enough to total those things. And all it takes is popping the door handle and removing a single retainer screw and you have $2000 seats.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Drove up to Santiago Peak today and saw a guy almost roll his ML320 (bone stock, just AT tires) driving up a large boulder so his buddy could take Instagram photos.

highme
May 25, 2001

That’s the good stuff.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm going to be driving from SoCal to Vail, CO next month for a wedding. Rationale is that flying is a full day when you go all-in with the getting to the airport, going through security, getting on the plane, getting off the plane, getting a rental car, driving to Vail from Denver, and bring two small children along with it. Might as well just drive for only a few extra hours when everyone can be comfortable in the car and you can stop whenever and you dont have to drag baby seats between vehicles and planes.

Anyway, we are driving straight through on the way there. It's about 13 hours without stops. I don't know if we will have time to take any detours on that day. But on the way back we are planning on breaking that trip into 2 days.

Anything to check out around Vail? Or any place in between? I'd love to stop at Arches National Park Moab if even briefly.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I had a good time doing day hikes at Arches while passing through. Managed to grab a parking spot on a Saturday afternoon and go through the Devil’s Garden loop. Great scenery and even the driving loop through the park is nice. Probably my favorite part of the UT-AZ-NM trip I took last year.

Moab, town and trails, was a complete poo poo show in regards to crowding. It was cool just sitting on the Main Street and watching everyone’s rigs pass by though.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Anyway, we are driving straight through on the way there. It's about 13 hours without stops. I don't know if we will have time to take any detours on that day. But on the way back we are planning on breaking that trip into 2 days.

Anything to check out around Vail? Or any place in between? I'd love to stop at Arches National Park Moab if even briefly.

You won't have any time for detours driving out. On the way back definitely swing through Moab.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I think I will head into the northern California forests next Saturday, around the Trinity and Shasta Lake region. Weather will be 70s during the weekend, up to the mid-80s the following week. I'll be out for more than a weekend, but less than a week.

I will be spending my time grilling meat, drinking beer, and reading books.

highme
May 25, 2001

ryanrs posted:

I think I will head into the northern California forests next Saturday, around the Trinity and Shasta Lake region. Weather will be 70s during the weekend, up to the mid-80s the following week. I'll be out for more than a weekend, but less than a week.

I will be spending my time grilling meat, drinking beer, and reading books.

I'm narrowing my search for a new rig and have narrowed my GX options down to a couple of non-nav rigs with similar miles. One in Reno, one in Colorado a little bit south of my parents in Denver. The Reno truck is currently listed for $2k more than the Colorado truck. It's been posted for a bit so I'm gonna see if they'll match the $7500 asking price. The only difference between the two is color and 10k on the odometer, Reno truck is that dark grey metallic and the Colardo truck is that nice blue. The only other thing separating them is the drive home and I've made the Denver to Portland drive so many times that even if they' don't want to haggle I'm like gently caress it, "let's drive home through some parts of California I've never been to" sounds much bettter than driving across the assholes of Wyoming & Idaho yet again.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

highme posted:

One in Reno

You could do some spring riding at Palisades, too!

highme
May 25, 2001

A thing I have definitely considered.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Forgot about the Ford F250 Tremor that was as wide as the whole drat trail coming up the hill. I pulled over as far as I could, sitting basically sideways with two wheels up on the berm, and this guy's tow mirrors are sticking out 2' on either side. Then he presses a button and they fold in automatically, which is cool as hell.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

FogHelmut posted:

I'm going to be driving from SoCal to Vail, CO next month for a wedding. Rationale is that flying is a full day when you go all-in with the getting to the airport, going through security, getting on the plane, getting off the plane, getting a rental car, driving to Vail from Denver, and bring two small children along with it. Might as well just drive for only a few extra hours when everyone can be comfortable in the car and you can stop whenever and you dont have to drag baby seats between vehicles and planes.

Colorado National Monument is a badass unknown national park, and its basically on the highway. You can do some pretty sweet canyon / rim hikes or just drive through it.

highme
May 25, 2001

I have purchased airfare and agreed to spend $10,000 in Sacramento tomorrow on this.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Congrats, looks good! Non-nav too. Already having the airbag delete will make things easier if you want switch up the suspension. Already having all the work done (including BMC) to fit the 34.4" tires also saved you a ton of work if you were planning on going that big. I'm guessing there's no matching spare though if it doesn't mention a tire carrier? There's no way those fit in the stock under-the-car spare location. If you're looking for a modern head unit w/ wireless carplay/android auto, the Joying unit that lots of people are getting from China seems to work well (I just 'finished' converting from nav to non-nav and installing the Joying unit last night...so far so good).

highme
May 25, 2001

There is not a 5th wheel nor spare tire carrier from what I can tell. Will have to sort that, as well as a color change on those.

I’ve actually got a Joying head unit that I had my 4Runner for a while. It had a habit of powering down after an hour or so (assuming it was heat related) and I replaced it with a cheap Boss thing to avoid that. My 4Runner seems to dump a bunch of heat into the dash. So adding it to the GX and updating the OS might be the best first step.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thoughts on a hitch skid? Pickups tend to have very poor departure angles and this is supposed to help protect your bumper, but I feel like the skid is going to make the departure angle worse by hanging down below the hitch receiver, and you end up hitting the skid when you'd otherwise hit nothing.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Seems like wank to me, on the old ute I dragged the receiver a bit and it didn't cause any real problems, on the new one I don't have a towbar and have smacked up the bumper and rear quarters of the tub a bit but who gives a poo poo it's for 4wding not posing in the carpark. If you're dragging the hitch constantly you'd be better off doing a tub chop and/or bumper replacement with a high clearance towbar setup. If they have hayman reese over there, they sell one called the x bar which allegedly has more clearance plus integrated bash plate under the hitch receiver to protect your sockets.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

e: a post

I think I'm going to delay my trip to northern :ca:, because of both mild rain and a work thing. It's not that I'm afraid of 50 F and 0.1", but if I wait a few days it'll allegedly be in the mid-70s.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 7, 2022

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Splinter posted:

Congrats, looks good! Non-nav too. Already having the airbag delete will make things easier...

I gotta admit that I audibly said wtf when I read up to here as I thought you meant the safety air bags.

E: Changing my diesel oil myself tomorrow for the first time since the 90s when I started having others do it. Looking forward to posting my mistakes and pics of dark black rotella puddles on the ground in the Jeep thread.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 7, 2022

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I've always wondered if extreme offroad driving can lead to 'false' airbag triggering. Is that ever an issue?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Early models of the current gen Chevy Colorado ZR2 were deploying side curtain airbags in mild offroading situations due to an overly sensitive rollover detection system. This was addressed with a software update from GM.

It's been known to happen with other vehicles under much more intense situations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a button in the gx470 to turn off the roll sensing curtain airbags for off-roading.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

This is the video that got me wondering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB25w1SQVG8

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

ryanrs posted:

This is the video that got me wondering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB25w1SQVG8

:lmao: hat fell off he's dead

highme
May 25, 2001

Flew to Sacramento Saturday and drove back yesterday. Truck drives pretty nice for as tall as it is, but maybe that’s just my lack of never having driven something this lifted. Regardless it’s got 2.5” OME on Bilstein lift and the spring are mounted in on the tallest perch pushing it up another inch. The tires probably have half their life left, if that, so when it comes time to replace them I’m probably going to bring it back to just 2.5” lift. Ironman has a 25% off site wide sale and just replacing the Bilsteins with their foam Pro struts is tempting, but I think I’m going to spend the rest of my budget on other things.

Got a bit of a late start and it was raining everywhere that stopping to take pics would make sense. So no pics, but I’ve got some GoPro hyperlapse footage to dig through and see if anything interesting pops up.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

265/70R17 or 255/75R17 ?

They should both fit without rubbing and no trimming needed.

265/70R17 - very popular tire size. 0.5" shorter diameter, 0.5" wider, give or take a tenth here or there
255/75R17 - limited tire choices. 0.5" taller diameter, 0.5" narrower, give or take a tenth here or there

These would give me 1.5" to 2" more diameter than stock.

The OPs mom's opinions on length vs girth aside, would you take a quarter inch greater ground clearance or the half inch wider contact patch?

I'm leaning towards the Cooper Discoverer AT3 right now, but the Firestone Destination AT2 are several lbs lighter, but I have concerns about their offroadiness. Falken Wildpeaks are always on the table but only available in 265/70R17.

This is my daily driver, and I'm not doing any serious rock crawling. Offroading is mainly fire roads in Southern California desert and mountains, with the occasional bare rock or sand or snow.

EDIT- Costco has a deal on the BFG Trail Terrain. I don't see a ton of reviews on these but BFG says they outperform the Cooper in many areas.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 10, 2022

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

FogHelmut posted:

265/70R17 or 255/75R17 ?

They should both fit without rubbing and no trimming needed.

265/70R17 - very popular tire size. 0.5" shorter diameter, 0.5" wider, give or take a tenth here or there
255/75R17 - limited tire choices. 0.5" taller diameter, 0.5" narrower, give or take a tenth here or there

These would give me 1.5" to 2" more diameter than stock.

The OPs mom's opinions on length vs girth aside, would you take a quarter inch greater ground clearance or the half inch wider contact patch?

I'm leaning towards the Cooper Discoverer AT3 right now, but the Firestone Destination AT2 are several lbs lighter, but I have concerns about their offroadiness. Falken Wildpeaks are always on the table but only available in 265/70R17.

This is my daily driver, and I'm not doing any serious rock crawling. Offroading is mainly fire roads in Southern California desert and mountains, with the occasional bare rock or sand or snow.

EDIT- Costco has a deal on the BFG Trail Terrain. I don't see a ton of reviews on these but BFG says they outperform the Cooper in many areas.

Bird's eye view here from northeastern BC as I've never been to California in my life. (Maybe next year, eh...)

- AIUI a taller tire will give you a bit more fore/aft contact area so I doubt there's anything meaningful in it in that respect (or that you'd notice anyway even if there is, at that small a difference in sizing). I was making the same decision a few weeks ago (Colo ZR2) and went with 265/70/17 as much for perceived greater ease of getting rid of them as part worns later on as anything, I suppose.

- If you're going to be far from home very often IMO ease of replacement > anything else - offroadey problems can usually be resolved either by pre-applying brain rather than slamming your face into them or, absent that, some shovelling, whereas nothing's going to make the truck shipping your one weird replacement tire from Guadalajara go any faster vs some backwoods place just having one sitting around.

- There's I think three, possibly four? different tires Cooper sells as the AT3 - if you're looking at the 'regular' one note you're comparing an LT tire to a P tire (on those BFGs) which, yes, will be a bit heavier and rougher, but will tend to stand up to abuse better. I think you can get a load C on the AT3s in LT265/70/17 which is what I'd probably do given those choices.

- Anecdotal of course (and a bit of an extreme environment) but I work at an alpine mine, meaning minimum 50km of lovely gravel-at-best roads per vehicle per day, and the one vehicle I can remember us having on site in the last year with P rating tires, a contractor's brand new rental F150, blew all four of them out inside ten days just driving to work and back. LTs on F250s in the same environment, even at slightly higher pressures, it's usually more like 1-3 per year (and that's the Goodyear Duratracs which are supposedly ever so easy to kill).

- I would not, personally, touch the BFGs with a ten-foot pole, but even my highway driving is in the middle of Goddamn nowhere and better odds on punctures is worth a bit rougher ride especially when the weather gets hostile (hello from May 9th, 10cm of snow so far today). Non-LT tires on pickups of any size basically don't exist up here for that reason, noone wants to be out faffing around changing wheels at -40. Maybe it'd be better at +40 but I have my doubts. YMMV on that though - looking at them I'd say BFGs no doubt nicer on highway and better on ice/plowed snowy pavement, somewhere between worse and much worse everywhere else.

- If using a wider/more aggro tire I sure hope you have mudflaps. I'm otherwise very much sold on the ZR2 but the one criminal thing is having to jump through aftermarket hoops to get ones that fit even slightly upsized tires - this wasn't even too bad a road for up here and I had to hose off the roof, I dread to think how the paint'd end up in a 'rocks' rather than ' canuckistani bog' environment, heh:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

Bird's eye view here from northeastern BC as I've never been to California in my life. (Maybe next year, eh...)

- AIUI a taller tire will give you a bit more fore/aft contact area so I doubt there's anything meaningful in it in that respect (or that you'd notice anyway even if there is, at that small a difference in sizing). I was making the same decision a few weeks ago (Colo ZR2) and went with 265/70/17 as much for perceived greater ease of getting rid of them as part worns later on as anything, I suppose.

- If you're going to be far from home very often IMO ease of replacement > anything else - offroadey problems can usually be resolved either by pre-applying brain rather than slamming your face into them or, absent that, some shovelling, whereas nothing's going to make the truck shipping your one weird replacement tire from Guadalajara go any faster vs some backwoods place just having one sitting around.

- There's I think three, possibly four? different tires Cooper sells as the AT3 - if you're looking at the 'regular' one note you're comparing an LT tire to a P tire (on those BFGs) which, yes, will be a bit heavier and rougher, but will tend to stand up to abuse better. I think you can get a load C on the AT3s in LT265/70/17 which is what I'd probably do given those choices.

- Anecdotal of course (and a bit of an extreme environment) but I work at an alpine mine, meaning minimum 50km of lovely gravel-at-best roads per vehicle per day, and the one vehicle I can remember us having on site in the last year with P rating tires, a contractor's brand new rental F150, blew all four of them out inside ten days just driving to work and back. LTs on F250s in the same environment, even at slightly higher pressures, it's usually more like 1-3 per year (and that's the Goodyear Duratracs which are supposedly ever so easy to kill).

- I would not, personally, touch the BFGs with a ten-foot pole, but even my highway driving is in the middle of Goddamn nowhere and better odds on punctures is worth a bit rougher ride especially when the weather gets hostile (hello from May 9th, 10cm of snow so far today). Non-LT tires on pickups of any size basically don't exist up here for that reason, noone wants to be out faffing around changing wheels at -40. Maybe it'd be better at +40 but I have my doubts. YMMV on that though - looking at them I'd say BFGs no doubt nicer on highway and better on ice/plowed snowy pavement, somewhere between worse and much worse everywhere else.

- If using a wider/more aggro tire I sure hope you have mudflaps. I'm otherwise very much sold on the ZR2 but the one criminal thing is having to jump through aftermarket hoops to get ones that fit even slightly upsized tires - this wasn't even too bad a road for up here and I had to hose off the roof, I dread to think how the paint'd end up in a 'rocks' rather than ' canuckistani bog' environment, heh:

I'm in a Colorado Z71 with 2" lift from Bilstein 6112/5160 + add a leaf. 265/70/17 should fit with no issue.

The stock Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar are almost gone at 25k miles. A number of lugs are missing chunks out of them.

Are you experiencing tread or sidewall damage up there?

Which tires did you go with?

I've got Rokblox mudflaps, which hopefully shouldn't get in the way.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

FogHelmut posted:

265/70R17 or 255/75R17 ?

Ymmv but Costco will supposedly often refuse to mount tires that aren't the original size.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Ymmv but Costco will supposedly often refuse to mount tires that aren't the original size.

Yeah I'm seeing people say either outright no, or up to 3% larger, or 5% larger, or managers discretion. I wouldn't order from them without getting confirmation beforehand.

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

FogHelmut posted:

I'm in a Colorado Z71 with 2" lift from Bilstein 6112/5160 + add a leaf. 265/70/17 should fit with no issue.

The stock Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar are almost gone at 25k miles. A number of lugs are missing chunks out of them.

Are you experiencing tread or sidewall damage up there?

Which tires did you go with?

I've got Rokblox mudflaps, which hopefully shouldn't get in the way.

If you're cutting up tires at that sort of mileage then I'd say definitely LTs on the menu for you heh.

Yes to both on damage (though more the former - gravel roads refreshed with whatever mine waste someone felt like running through a crusher for a couple of minutes - than the latter, nobody's going rock crawling up here and actually going off road, in the sense of leaving the road entirely, is often asking to give your local crane contractor some money to extract you - more just getting bashed about by potholes or frozen ruts or dried out ruts or stuff poking out of ruts or etc...the thaw season makes a mess but is a bit more comfortable :v: ). The other part of the problem here is that winter runs from about October to now-ish so the preference is for softer tires with lots of siping which is the opposite of what you want for sharp gravel at least from a wear POV.

Tires on the one above are Cooper STT Pros which I can't see making much sense in the desert, by my understanding you basically want the least aggressive tire you can get away with for that sort of environment as throwing a bunch of dirt around is counterproductive. Great as backwoods tow truck dodger tires however (just, no ice please).

In a vacuum, I gather the gold standard gravel bombers are the Toyo M55 (indestructible - we have a set on one of the mine trucks which have done over 5000km on exposed steel belts, all on the mine, and STILL show no sign of dying - just heavy as all hell and only load E, basically standard fit for anything forestry up here) > Toyo CT (same but less popular for whatever reason) > Cooper ST Max (bit better ride, still tough, but allegedly the tread design means you WILL have an incorrigible pull to one side on pavement) > your pick of Cooper/BFG/Toyo/Falken ATs >< Michelin LTX (which seem to be a common 'way better than you'd expect' pick). I think Cooper were/are very big in Australia so a lot of their tires are basically designed to work over there first and foremost & will be decent in your neck of the woods as a result.

(Practically speaking though it's probably 75% GY Duratracs up here though, mostly because you can juuuust get away with running them year round as they're soft enough to not completely go to poo poo when it gets extremely cold)

You'll be ok for size for sure I'd say, I think the ZR2 factory is basically the same dimensions as you've got yourself now and the 265/70 is a no issues fit with room to spare, & I ended up ordering the same mudflaps (stupid name...) three weeks ago as they're less obstructive than the other options, sounds like they might turn up this week if I'm lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

by my understanding you basically want the least aggressive tire you can get away with for that sort of environment

This is exactly what I'm doing. Or I might just gently caress it and get the Mickey Thompsons Baja Boss AT