Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

SFH1989 posted:

An SVT Focus is not the ideal off road vehicle.

My friend thought it would be a good idea to go down this road after it had been raining for a few days. By the time he got it out the undercarriage had been dragged on the ground for at least 200ft.

And there's video: Part 1 and Part 2.

Heh. You should mention to your friend that the focus rally car has AWD, 300 hp and far more aggressive tires.. But..Is this in Connecticut? It looks familiar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I got some outdoor/trail shots of my bumper/winch earlier this week. I have since painted it to keep the rust at bay.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Is it possible to trim that little lip of steel out from under the fenders/headlights? I think it would look a whole lot better with that missing.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

The Champion winches that you can get come in pretty cheap - you can get an 8000lb for £250inc vat, and the 6000lb for £150+vat.

The reviews I've read seem to rate them, and I'd certainly be tempted for that kind of money. I'll probably buy a Tirfor-style hand winch first, though.

Thats not bad!

However - I'd assume that i need a somewhat heftier pull rating than 8000lb?

What is the proper technique for working out what rating winch you need?. My truck weighs 3500kg/8000lb + (I've had it on a weighbridge and unloaded it is 2900kg), and I assume that because it will be stuck when i use it, you need plenty of aditional pull for that?

I did pull it up my gently sloping garden once with the tirfor and it killed me!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Usually you try to go for at least 50% over the weight of the vehicle, preferably double. So a SWB vehicle weighing at or around 4000 pounds when it hits the trails usually gets an 8000 pound winch.

Obviously that doesn't work so well with heavier trucks when the winches get really loving expensive. I'd try to get at least a 12k if you can, preferably 15k.

You can get by with lighter rated winches and lots of pulleys, but it's slow as hell and you have to stop a lot to let the winch cool down.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Advent Horizon posted:

Is it possible to trim that little lip of steel out from under the fenders/headlights? I think it would look a whole lot better with that missing.

Yeah, it actually just unbolts. I'm thinking about pulling it off before the next time we go out in the woods.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
There isn't enough Subaru love in this thread.

It's hard to get action shots when you're the one driving.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

ACEofsnett posted:

Heh. You should mention to your friend that the focus rally car has AWD, 300 hp and far more aggressive tires.. But..Is this in Connecticut? It looks familiar...

Yes, it's right off 58 in Redding. We made plenty of "it's not a rally car" jokes.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I always said i wouldn't get rid of my '93 XLT unless i bought a '91-94 Limited in white. I bought a '94 Limited with minor rust, my '93 photographs nicely because of the color. My '93 has no rockers and a decent amount of rust forming on the wheel well lips. When i say no rockers i mean nothing all the way into where the door closes and the doglegs are gone down low. It's a part time driver and trail truck so i didn't really care since it runs so well.

I wanted a fully loaded Limited because it was the old man Explorer and no one took them off road due to the purchase price. The one i bought has a verified 81,000 miles that was used as a winter truck by some old guy who owned it since new. The rust looks worse since it's white but it will be much cheaper to make brand new in appearance. I can't wait to get it done and cover it in mud. Here's a picture of it now, then add all the stuff on my '93 and you'll see it mid completion.

Full completion will see it on 35s with 7"s of lift.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's a whole tree in there.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
That's awesome, it looks like the tree is growing out of it like some art students ill designed flowerpot.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Advent Horizon posted:

Usually you try to go for at least 50% over the weight of the vehicle, preferably double. So a SWB vehicle weighing at or around 4000 pounds when it hits the trails usually gets an 8000 pound winch.

Obviously that doesn't work so well with heavier trucks when the winches get really loving expensive. I'd try to get at least a 12k if you can, preferably 15k.

You can get by with lighter rated winches and lots of pulleys, but it's slow as hell and you have to stop a lot to let the winch cool down.

I discovered the hard way it takes 30,000LB of winch pull to get a LC79 ute thats burried down to the tray in a swamp back onto dry ground.

Not to mention several hours of digging and seven attempts with a snatch strap to get it out

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

The reviews I've read seem to rate them, and I'd certainly be tempted for that kind of money. I'll probably buy a Tirfor-style hand winch first, though.

I've started picking up recovery kit - got a hilift today, apparently you can use them as an emergency winch too, which should do me on the lanes.

There's a guy selling pairs of 50mm thick waffleboards for £50 inc delivery on UK ebay here.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

meltie posted:

I've started picking up recovery kit - got a hilift today, apparently you can use them as an emergency winch too, which should do me on the lanes.

There's a guy selling pairs of 50mm thick waffleboards for £50 inc delivery on UK ebay here.

Be very careful around the hilift. The handle has a propensity to swing up and tear peoples heads off.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Atticus_1354 posted:

Be very careful around the hilift. The handle has a propensity to swing up and tear peoples heads off.

I use one for 8 weeks a year and they always hit me in the face :(

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

meltie posted:

I highly recommend this right here for your Hi-Lift.

http://www.bbpfab.com/newsite/jackbase.htm

It was reviewed in the June 2008 issue of Peretsen's 4wheel & Off-road. Plus the guys a buddy of mine who built my bumper.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Aye, i've read warnings all over the place about them. When a tool carries a warning sticker like this:

...you know it demands respect. We'll see what happens :o:

Toucan Sam posted:

I highly recommend this right here for your Hi-Lift.

http://www.bbpfab.com/newsite/jackbase.htm
That looks quite nifty, do they have a UK distributor? :)

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Go figure, as soon as I dump my old 16.5" HMMWV wheels due to a shortage of good quality new tires, and getting sick of running old rear end surplus Goodyear M/T's, BF Goodrich rolls out their BAJA AT tire for the HMMWV.

4,540 lb weight capacity per tire plus 10-20% better performance over the goodyear mt's.

At 500$ a pop it isn't cheap, it'll be leaps and bounds a better tire over the crap goodyear has been making for hummer/humvee over the last 2 decades.

I guess this was in responsible to the government banning the use of IROK/Super swampers for Iraq/Afghanistan and that good year couldn't keep up with demand for new rubber.

Should be an interesting tire if they expand it to more standard size wheels although at that weight capacity it'll be only good for hummers and big pickups and utility vehicles. I've seen pictures of a 20 bolt, 8 lug split wheel that will come in a 17" size, but I'm guessing the military would rather keep using 16.5" wheels for now due to cost of retrofitting the entire fleet with larger wheel.

Another option for the jeep crowd who are running hmmwv wheels with the beadlocks and run flats. Considering the lack of tire options for 16.5" wheels at least.

I'm guessing it's based on the BAJA competition carcass they sell for score.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Look how dirty I got!

I hopped over a few parking curbs last night in the parking lot. Must have been some real sticky mud because my sad little road tires didn't slip at all.

This is the closest I've been to off road in a long time. I really need to get going sometime.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

BigKOfJustice posted:

Another option for the jeep crowd who are running hmmwv wheels with the beadlocks and run flats. Considering the lack of tire options for 16.5" wheels at least.

While that's a drat fine looking tire for heavy rigs that see mostly hard pack duty, it looks like total crap for a light vehicle.

Also, drat near every off road tire is available in 16.5". What lack of tires? It's the 18+" crowd that have to search.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

meltie posted:

That looks quite nifty, do they have a UK distributor? :)

If you pay for shipping i'm sure he'll mail it right out to you.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

While that's a drat fine looking tire for heavy rigs that see mostly hard pack duty, it looks like total crap for a light vehicle.

Also, drat near every off road tire is available in 16.5". What lack of tires? It's the 18+" crowd that have to search.

I had a choice of going with the Cepeks, Iroks, Dirt Grips, or Interco Traxxas/Swampers, all great dedicated trail tires, but since I daily drive my rig, I needed something that offered a decent on road performance as well. There's not much in the way of A/T/street radials anymore in that size, especially for D/E load range.

I was looking at BFG's but until this Military BAJA tire was available, most of their offerings were in any size but 16.5".

I wanted to keep a set of 16.5" wheels with very aggressive tires for my big multi day off road trips, and keep a set of a/t or touring tires on alloys for street use, but I don't have the storage anymore. So I split the difference with the BFG A/T KO's. when those wear out I'll probably move to the M/T KM2's.

So in that sense there really wasn't that big of a lack of tires, just that the OEM specified gsa/mt tires for the civilian humvee are only available in 17" now.

I'm guessing there's going to be a metric shitload of Goodyear MT's hitting the surplus scene.

There;s a guy in Arizona on ebay who picked up thousands off them, most of them with only 10-20% wear and is selling them for 400-500$ for a set of 4 with ups ground shipping included.

Thats a decent price for 37" trail tires if you got 16.5" wheels.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Alright everyone I expect to see some people going out and getting stuck. If you don't get stuck, high centered or break something your not wheeling hard enough for this thread. Or you could just stupidly drive in to some bottomless clay like I did.

The puddle at the bottom center is from my differential. You can see were it dug in when I winched out.

Smooth all the way around. Without the mud I have about 85% tread on these tires.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
We buried the Ford a couple weeks ago, first time stuck in four years. It was similar to yours since he drove into a pretty bottomless hole that looked semi solid. I ended up pulling it out with my dually because the axles bottomed out and the mud was over the top of the 38s.

During

After

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Toucan Sam posted:

We buried the Ford a couple weeks ago, first time stuck in four years. It was similar to yours since he drove into a pretty bottomless hole that looked semi solid. I ended up pulling it out with my dually because the axles bottomed out and the mud was over the top of the 38s.

Yeah it was kind of funny because I was driving along in a neighborhood they are building at the end of my street and saw one of the lots was cleared out pretty far back. I decided to see if I could make it back in to the woods, but stopped because of visible water on the ground. I turned left to circle back out and the ground seemed to disappear. And before anyone jumps on me about trespassing the developer told me as long as I didn't mess up any lots being worked on I could play down there.

Does anyone know what I need to do to replace my rear dana 35 with a 44? I have a rubicon express lift and a 4.56 geared locker in the 35 and I am afraid it will be broken if I do anything to much. I will need to regear the rear to match, but will it just bolt up to the same drive shaft and the suspension? I don't have any money to swap right now, but I would like to know what is required in case the 35 grenades or I happen in to a bunch of money.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 13, 2008

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone got any examples of radio and storage setups on their trucks?

I'm planning to mount a commercial vhf/ham radio unit plus a cb in my truck [I'm using a vector hand held unit for the moment]. The issue I got is security since I got a rag top.

I'm planing on replacing my glove box with a tuffy truck vault for some stuff, and I'm thinking of retrofitting the jeep center roof-rollbar console on the humvee between the A and B pillars.

It's a neat unit with 2 drop down radio panels that can be locked and secured when not in use. The problem it drops down towards the rear of the truck and I'd rather have something that drops down and faces the driver. I can either modify it so it drops down at a different angle or just start designing and fabricate my own unit.

Anyone know of any other vendors that sell products similar to this?

titler
Feb 18, 2005

BigKOfJustice posted:

Anyone got any examples of radio and storage setups on their trucks?

It's a neat unit with 2 drop down radio panels that can be locked and secured when not in use. The problem it drops down towards the rear of the truck and I'd rather have something that drops down and faces the driver. I can either modify it so it drops down at a different angle or just start designing and fabricate my own unit.

When you solve this let me know, because I'm still trying to figure out where to mount my (expensive) radio equipment where it won't get damaged/stolen/sunk in water.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

FUUUUCK. I just had one of those right place at the wrong time moments.

I had to pass on a HMMWV/M998 project truck for $8500 in Los Angeles. Complete 6.2L diesel drive train, 4 seater rag top with rolling chassis and full body work. Needs new fuel and electrical setup.

:argh: Los Angeles cost of living. No place to store and build the project.

:sigh: Would have been an awesome dedicated trail truck.

I think one of my buddies snapped it up I'll have to go check. If it's not gone I'll post the contact info of the guy here if any socal goon wants a hmmwv project truck for cheap. [Worse case, I figure it'll need about 4-5 grand worth of work for a whole new wholesale fuel system and electrical harness, and to deal with any surprises]. The engine is hauled out, if I brought it I'd probably drop in a Cummins BP4 for shits and giggles and throw in a rubber duck suspension lift, add upgraded half shafts and toss on some serious rubber on the thing.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 16, 2008

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Woooo! Just got back from Logan, West Virginia not too long ago. And this can go here because 50% of the ATVs this time had 4WD. :colbert:

We rode Hatfield-McCoy Trails for 2.5 days, covered around 120 out of 500 miles. Mostly hit the Blue (intermediate) and Black (expert) trails.

Group Shot:

Right in the front and center is Trev. His bike broke down the first day so he rode the rest of the weekend on a Honda TRX90Y. A 90CC youth ATV. And it went everywhere the big bikes did.

Trev's Triumph:

Sitting at the top of a mountain only accessible by about 6 miles of the blackest black trails.

Enough pics, here's some vids of us in action:

Riding down the river:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4MOLdQK9YM8

Me going up a "Blue" Hill:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SBscNvQgI5U
It's hard to tell how steep these hills are. Not only steep, but long.

Big Mike climbing a huge coal hill, probably about 5-600' tall:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7YebiNRSog4

Me vs a WVa Mudhole:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7A_HEVk9wSk
I eventually got it out, just had to take a break.

Here's Trev on the 90 running through another WVa Mudhole:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dyeu2B7Xkfc

And the coolest part of the whole trip:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ispKUhf2D1U
In certain towns like Gilbert and Man, you can legally ride your ATV/Dirtbike/OHV on ANY road. You can take it through a drive through, and all the stores/restaurants/hotels/etc have ATV-sized parking spaces.

And on the way back, one of the trailers we were hauling caught on fire:

No major damage to anything, the trailer's still structurally fine. It just had to have the wood panelling torn out and replaced, and was re-wired. The VFD guys figured it was a short in one of the trailer's interior lights that ignited some clothes hung over it.

More videos are here: https://www.youtube.com/pmprout1 and pictures are here: http://flickr.com/photos/25563628@N08/

The bikes we took were:

2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700 w/ Electric Power-Assisted Steering

2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 w/ Gorilla Axles, diffs, six inch lift, and 28" ITP Mudking tires
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 350 w/ Independant Rear Suspension

2002 Honda TRX250EX

2004 Honda TRX400EX w/ (lovely sounding) gutted exhaust

2006 Yamaha WR450F

2007 Can-Am Renegade 800 w/ HMF Exhaust - Just a note about this bike, it's an 800cc v-twin. It sounds like what Odin would ride if Nordic Gods rode four wheelers. You can hear it in the river riding video.

1997 Polaris Trailblazer 250 (retired)

We can't wait to go back again, hopefully this fall. If this looks like fun to you, it's a cheap place to visit and just about every dealer rents ATVs, Dirtbikes, or OHVs. https://www.trailsheaven.com for more info.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 16, 2008

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meltie posted:

I've tried this - it takes loving ages!. I was using straps and youd just get about got the stretch/slack out of the straps and get the vehicle moving very slightly and then you run out of hi-lift and have to start again when you reset the hi-lift.
I was trying to drag my landy in off the road into the drive when it was broken. we pushed it in with another landy in the end as it was quicker!

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
A buddy of mine just hit a deer with his Ranger and he offered the two month old 6" Superlift to me for $150. The problem is i don't need the 6", i only wanted a 4" but $150 for a $1500 lift is looking to good to pass up. The smaller lift is around $850 to my door so i may bite the bullet and go big, it is mainly a mud truck anyways so the bigger the better i guess.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Peer pressure can be a dangerous and expensive thing. A friend of mine dug up these pictures from Glamis/Imperial Dunes from a few months back.

The going story is the guy recently brought the truck, and decided to launch it off a multi-story high sand dune going about 40+ mph. :psyduck:

In a 7000 lb truck.

With the aerodynamics of a brick.

With only a few inches of suspension travel.

In a sand rail or a unlimited trophy truck, you may be able to get away with it, an stock h1? Not so much.

A shot out of a Micheal Bay film.

No one was hurt, and the owner drove the truck back to camp afterwards. It was still drivable. Just beat up with the ugly stick.

I can't remember if there was frame damage or not, but to replace all the aluminum damaged bodywork would run about 10 grand in parts alone.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

BigKOfJustice posted:

I can't remember if there was frame damage or not, but to replace all the aluminum damaged bodywork would run about 10 grand in parts alone.

I must admit to taking a certain amount of twisted pleasure in seeing other people destroy their expensive toys.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Same here man, i can watch off road roll over videos all night long on youtube.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Here are some awesome Camel Trophy videos that I found on you tube.

1987 Madagascar run.
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFHqlNZKh-E
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1a3VV06deg
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jocYVXQysrI
Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgmhg7hgMN4
Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdshHGWNSh0
Part 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpoZGHanLoU

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

quote:

I love how three different generations of Jeep were used to turn him over.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigKOfJustice posted:

I've been in that situation, it ended in the front axle destroying the bumpstops and over traveling in to the cast aluminum oil pan. :lol:

Toucan Sam posted:

Same here man, i can watch off road roll over videos all night long on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/v/eqn0HFHiWb4&hl=en
...:v:

Over the past month having move back home after a long term relationship breakup I've managed to flop my truck and blow the headgasket. I was planning on selling it too. :v: Oh well.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 23, 2008

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

SFH1989 posted:

I love how three different generations of Jeep were used to turn him over.

It's like 3 cousins helping up their :downs: sibling. It's kind of odd how close the whole HMMWV/Hummer line came becoming a Jeep product again. AM General was split off from AMC when Renault brought out AMC [US government wasn't keen on a defense contractor being sold to the French]. After it was sold back to Chrysler, they had the option of picking up the General Products division of AMC [AM General] but they had no interest so it was spun off to another Defense contractor, LTV. I guess Chrysler saw no point in picking up a company that made Deuces, Mail Jeeps, city buses and this new fangled HMMWV thing.

This is why Jeep lost the 7 slot grill lawsuit a few years back with GM/Hummer.

That being said, hmmwv jumping made it into a military training video on what not to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9U56TRKeZE

It's always painful to go to pismo or some other OVA and see first timer do some really dumb boneheaded poo poo or show off. Always ends in tragedy or comedy depending on your outlook.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

That was great, looked like it was soft enough not to do too much damage.

I've been pretty lucky but i drat near rolled my gray Explorer a few weeks ago. I was drinking at a buddies house who has about 100 acres to play in. He wanted to go out in my truck so we took off in the dark through the back yard heading for trees. Everything was going well until he took me down a big hill which needed an immediate left turn into a stream bed. He tells me to turn left and as soon it gets light turn to the right and lay it on the floor.

It didn't actually go that smooth though. I ended up with the right front and the left rear on the ground. There was an easy 3 feet of air under the other two tires. The slightest move inside the truck would make it teeter back and forth. I hate the teeter totter thing so i'm sweating balls and adding up the cost of repairs for when it flops.

My buddy gives me a game plan which was better than anything i could come up with at 1am. His plan is to lay it on the floor to the right and just before i hit the tree a couple feet ahead cut it left and hold it to the floor until all four tires hit the ground. It's either going to work or we're going to do some high speed body damage. It did work, scared the poo poo out of both of us. I then proceeded to catch a washout on the way up this giant loving hill in the dark but staying on the gas got us out with little drama.

That's the closest i have come to rolling over in a long time but it was still a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Toucan Sam posted:

It didn't actually go that smooth though. I ended up with the right front and the left rear on the ground. There was an easy 3 feet of air under the other two tires. The slightest move inside the truck would make it teeter back and forth. I hate the teeter totter thing so i'm sweating balls and adding up the cost of repairs for when it flops.
Holy. poo poo. This is exactly what happened to me 3 weeks ago and I flopped it. :smith:

Basically I started up a rock with the right front and it started teetering so I was like ok.... let's back down and it's all good while I was making GBS threads bricks. I did the normal shift up to reverse from drive.... only I had shifted it to L before so I got drive. I drove it right over on to the driver side. Fun times. :smith:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 23, 2008