Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

One of my brother's knows a goalie coach who used to play for the Gophers and even if I don't get lessons from him, it should be a lot easier to find instruction up there than in Phoenix.

If you're up for a bit we can hit an open skate some night/day. Let me know.

Bradf0rd posted:

Annnnnnd some fun photos! My town has a covered outdoor rink in the winter, which is where I play most of my drop-in. One night it was windy and dumping snow so we ended up with this:

It was legitimately a fun night.

That outdoor rink is fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

If you're up for a bit we can hit an open skate some night/day. Let me know.

I definitely will. I'm curious to see how different the level of hockey is up there.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

titanium posted:

As long as you realize the ice is at the whim of the elements and it's not a full sheet, it's a blast. The ice is kept in good shape for being outdoors, but it's only about a 1/3 sheet. Hey, small ice is better than no ice plus it costs $5 for drop-in or $60 for a season pass (November to March). I've more than made up my money.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Took a point blank slapper to the brain bucket today. Then to make matters worse I went to raise my hands to my face and fell over backward, hitting my head on the ice. For a composite shell, this old NXi held up so loving well. I don't even have a headache. Cage was done for though. Big old dent and one of the welds snapped. Glad I bought a spare a while ago. Impossible to find replacements now though, so I'm going to have to get off my rear end and finish rehabbing my black Eddy mask :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Took a point blank slapper to the brain bucket today. Then to make matters worse I went to raise my hands to my face and fell over backward, hitting my head on the ice. For a composite shell, this old NXi held up so loving well. I don't even have a headache. Cage was done for though. Big old dent and one of the welds snapped. Glad I bought a spare a while ago. Impossible to find replacements now though, so I'm going to have to get off my rear end and finish rehabbing my black Eddy mask :(

Yikes. It sucks to lose a cage, but it sounds like the cage took the brunt the impact instead of your head. If you are looking for a replacement NXi cage, then 21 Degrees sells those along with updated versions of the NXi masks.

Do you feel any pressure in your head or have any dizziness or confusion? I never really had headaches with my concussion, but there was definitely a feeling of pressure that lingered for 10-12 days. Hopefully you remain symptom free and I'm glad that it sounds like your cage did its job.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nope, actually I am 100% feeling fine. It's good timing because all our recent talk about concussions really had me worried in the immediate aftermath and I think I did a decent job of running down a checklist of how I was feeling. I did take a minute to myself to check whether I was feeling allright, but I came to the conclusion that I didn't feel any worse than I had in the moments immediately preceding the hit.

In retrospect, if I could have changed one thing about how I handled this, it would have been that I'd pulled myself immediately for the dented cage. I don't think I inspected it well enough, and it was pretty stupid to remain in the game with a visible dent in the cage. That's a dumb thing I did and I probably should have just called it a night after that, but thankfully nothing bad happened after that.

No dizziness or pressure. In fact I'd go so far as to say that maybe it's the adrenaline, but I'm feeling more clearheaded now than I did going into the game. I'm not sure how best to test any possible symptoms though. A short but vigorous shaking of my head doesn't reveal any pain, pressure, or discomfort other than what I'd expect to be normal. I'll check again tomorrow after a night's sleep.

Also thank you for the head up on the NXi parts. I used to hate this mask because it's so goofy rear end looking, but it's since grown into such a comfortable home for my head on weeknights that I'm almost sad at the thought of replacing it. I do plan to finish rehabbing my Eddy, however. My kitty memorial mask is long LONG overdue.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Nope, actually I am 100% feeling fine. It's good timing because all our recent talk about concussions really had me worried in the immediate aftermath and I think I did a decent job of running down a checklist of how I was feeling. I did take a minute to myself to check whether I was feeling allright, but I came to the conclusion that I didn't feel any worse than I had in the moments immediately preceding the hit.

In retrospect, if I could have changed one thing about how I handled this, it would have been that I'd pulled myself immediately for the dented cage. I don't think I inspected it well enough, and it was pretty stupid to remain in the game with a visible dent in the cage. That's a dumb thing I did and I probably should have just called it a night after that, but thankfully nothing bad happened after that.

No dizziness or pressure. In fact I'd go so far as to say that maybe it's the adrenaline, but I'm feeling more clearheaded now than I did going into the game. I'm not sure how best to test any possible symptoms though. A short but vigorous shaking of my head doesn't reveal any pain, pressure, or discomfort other than what I'd expect to be normal. I'll check again tomorrow after a night's sleep.

Also thank you for the head up on the NXi parts. I used to hate this mask because it's so goofy rear end looking, but it's since grown into such a comfortable home for my head on weeknights that I'm almost sad at the thought of replacing it. I do plan to finish rehabbing my Eddy, however. My kitty memorial mask is long LONG overdue.

I was an idiot and played another period and half after I got my concussion, I should have figured it out more quickly when Joey Walnuts asked me about the shot I took to my head and I didn't recall it, but I think it was a combination of not quite putting everything together and being in game mode and not wanting to take myself out. The sad thing is I played a lot better concussed than I did before I got hurt.

If you remember the play and aren't experiencing any symptoms, then you're probably fine. I will say that it's hard to diagnose yourself during the game and admittedly without Joey Walnuts asking me about the shot, I don't know if I would have pieced it together until the next day. Missing time is the scary part, not because the time is gone, but because if you don't remember the incident, then there's a chance you may not piece everything together.

As for the broken weld, that's definitely dangerous to play with, since once a weld is broken the structural integrity of the cage is pretty much shot and it increases the chance of one of the bars breaking and hitting you in the face or eye. It's definitely not something you want to play with, but like you said, it can be a hard thing to find on a quick inspection.

I'm glad the 21 Degrees link was helpful. I have a friend who is friends with the guy who runs that company and he's been really happy with his mask. They would definitely be on my list of recommended masks.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Glad to hear you are not too banged up Marty!

I was reading a good article linked a few posts back about activating the hands and the same issue of InGoalMag has a pretty interesting article about Lundqvist that talks about his stance and high glove positioning, plus how deep he plays in the crease:

http://magazine.ingoalmag.com/publication/?m=18095&l=1

Couple of things that struck me about the article - at 6'1 he is considered small, and he was a seventh-round draft pick!

Also post more vids Wong

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. Well I woke up with a slight headache, but I can't tell if that's because of yesterday or because I slept in until like 1PM (I get sleep headaches a lot). Everything else feels normal and the headache went away after some ibuprofen. Still no pressure, dizziness, or anything else that I can detect.

I'm really prone to headaches so I hate to use that as a yardstick for whether or not the hit might have affected me. I'll tell my Tuesday night guys to have a backup standing by just in case. I'm probably just fine, but it can't hurt to have an exit strategy.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. Well I woke up with a slight headache, but I can't tell if that's because of yesterday or because I slept in until like 1PM (I get sleep headaches a lot). Everything else feels normal and the headache went away after some ibuprofen. Still no pressure, dizziness, or anything else that I can detect.

I'm really prone to headaches so I hate to use that as a yardstick for whether or not the hit might have affected me. I'll tell my Tuesday night guys to have a backup standing by just in case. I'm probably just fine, but it can't hurt to have an exit strategy.

Yeah, it is hard to isolate the cause of issues. Just off the top of my head, symptoms that you would want to look out for include:

Headache
Dizziness (try leaning forward and looking down)
Pressure in your head
Feeling of tiredness
Slurring of speech
Balance issues
One pupil larger than the other
Forgetfulness
Memory Issues
Missing time (would typically just be the time immediately before and after the impact)
Nausea
Vomiting
Stiffness in your neck
Swelling at the site of impact

If you have any reason for concern, then it wouldn't hurt to get looked at by a doctor. Taking Ibuprofin could mask symptoms that you have and I forgot what the reason was, but my doctor advised me to avoid iburprofin and aspirin and only take acetaminophen (Tylenol) to treat the symptoms of my concussion.

Even if you have a few of those symptoms, they could just be symptoms of life. Since you've already taken medicine today, wait until tomorrow and see how you are doing. You can take some acetaminphen tonight and if you decide to get evaluated tomorrow, then wait until after your doctor's appointment to take any additional medication. It's hard without an MRI for doctors to diagnose minor concussions and they'll really just be relying on your description of the event and symptoms to make a diagnosis.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 22, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the helpful advice. I'll try a clean inspection tomorrow. None of the other stuff is happening to me, just the headache, though I can't say for sure right at this moment because I did pop some Ibu.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the helpful advice. I'll try a clean inspection tomorrow. None of the other stuff is happening to me, just the headache, though I can't say for sure right at this moment because I did pop some Ibu.

No worries. Also, the reason for not taking ibuprofin or other anti-inflammatory medications when you have a concussion is that they increase the risk of bleeding. Apparently that applies to all head injuries and not just concussions. Here's an overview from the Mayo Clinic on concussion symptoms and when to see a doctor.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Oi, we lost in a shootout tonight. We just had too many penalties, including a couple 3-on-5s and a couple bad turnovers right in front of the net, including the game tying goal with 2:30 left. My defensemen turned it over, the skater got off a quick shot, I got part of my blocker on it, but not enough to keep it out of the net. I ended up letting in 2/5 in the shootout, we only scored 1 in the shootout.

I did have one weird sequence where I ended up on my back, I could get a read on the puck, and I just tried to cover the lower part of the net with my body. I stopped a couple shots doing that, but they eventually scored, and I really should have got back up to my feet even if I didn't have a read on the puck.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The "I got a piece of it" goals are the hardest to swallow sometimes. Somehow it's worse knowing that I was an inch off than it is knowing I was a foot off from stopping the puck.

Also no ibuprofen for quite a while and I feel right as rain. Going to be cautiously optimistic and just carry on playing next week as usual.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Aniki posted:

As for the broken weld, that's definitely dangerous to play with, since once a weld is broken the structural integrity of the cage is pretty much shot and it increases the chance of one of the bars breaking and hitting you in the face or eye. It's definitely not something you want to play with, but like you said, it can be a hard thing to find on a quick inspection.

Eep. I've been playing with a broken weld for almost a month now. I'd get on that if cages weren't so drat expensive. Should probably get that fixed before another draft pick defenseman shoots my eye out. :ralphie:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, you should definitely get a new cage at that point. I'm not sure if you can re-weld something like a cage. I'm sure someone who knows how to weld properly could probably return the broken weld back to acceptable condition, but at that point you can't be sure that the stress hasn't compromised the remaining welds. Better to be safe than sorry in that sort of situation.

Sucks to be out another hundred bucks, to be sure. I'm about to be out $90 for this spare cage myself.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

The "I got a piece of it" goals are the hardest to swallow sometimes. Somehow it's worse knowing that I was an inch off than it is knowing I was a foot off from stopping the puck.

Also no ibuprofen for quite a while and I feel right as rain. Going to be cautiously optimistic and just carry on playing next week as usual.

Glad to hear things seem to be okay, Marty.

The worst is getting a piece of it when it would've been an amazing save. At drop-in I was doing a MAF-style padstack and it just tipped off the cheater of my glove. :saddowns:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
In the case of a broken weld, you really should replace the cage right away. I can't say whether rewelding the broken weld would work or not.

That reminds me that I need to make sure to order a spare cage for my Cubberly, since I won't be able to pick up a replacement cage locally like I can for my Hackva. The only thing is that I want to try out the cheater cage for a bit first, since I want to see if I like it or if I should just stick with a cateye.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Marty, do you still use Battram gloves? What'd you think of them, long term?

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Here of late I have been feeling like something is wrong. I've been feeling tired during games, legs have been sore, and even after a fresh sharpening, it's like I can't push left or right nearly as hard as I want to.

<places skate blades flat on a table>
"Hmmm, I wonder if my prof-holy crap I'm skating on half a blade."

I've never checked it until now, but my rocker is so borked that only half of my blades are connecting with the ice at any given time. That would explain a LOT. It's so bad (and there's so little steel left) that I don't even think profiling is worth it.

Of course, finding replacement steel is a pain in the butt. It's on backorder locally, and goaliemonkey doesn't have complete sets in. Anyone know of a Canada-friendly vendor that stocks RBK/CCM steel?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

nahanahs posted:

Marty, do you still use Battram gloves? What'd you think of them, long term?

They're really good. Very solid. The palm protection in the catcher is nice and thick (but I think I have a pro-palm version), the construction is very solid. No real fraying to speak of. A little bit of leather at the top of the trapper T is starting to wear down, but that's not too surprising considering that touches the ice a lot when I'm covering.

I'd say their long term prospects are great. Mine are second-hand and I played with them for a good number of years and they didn't deteriorate visibly. The palm on the blocker is very durable and doesn't look like it's in danger of wearing out any time soon as well.

All that said, I don't wear them anymore. I stopped using them because they didn't fits my colour scheme, but I'm saving them for my next pair of pads which will be Habs coloured. If I didn't think they were such a great pair of gloves I would have sold them a long time ago, which should really say a lot about them.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know, it's funny: No matter how far out of the net you think you're playing, when someone shows you video of you in net and you're barely touching the top of the blue paint, that's when you realize you're falling back into old habits :q:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Ordered my 997 glove yesterday they said it should show up this Thursday. Haven't had vids for a bit because my dad was borrowing my cam to ready up for the Utah ski trip I've been on. Thankfully I've escaped with no major knee issues and some well conditioned legs. Review on the glove and more bids to come.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So it took some fiddling with, but I was finally able to hang up the cam without issue. Had a really fun session on Thursday. They let us play for over 2 hours, so I was beat at the end. Some nice desperation saves, a few stinkers, plus one pretty amusing glove near the 4:35 mark:

http://youtu.be/rKg3KNFP5g8

Definitely feel like this cam is helping me already. After discovering the terrible job I was doing with facing my shoulders toward the puck, I've already made some adjustments that have helped immensely.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Cripes, the bottom strap on my pads broke in half this afternoon. Anyone have an idea as to how to repair it?

Joey Walnuts fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 27, 2012

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Cripes, the bottom strap on my pads broke in half this afternoon. Anyone have an idea as to how to repair it?

Are the straps sewn in or can you remove them without tools? If it's the former, you should be able to buy a replacement strap at Behind the Mask and then take it to shoe repair shop sew in the strap. If it's the latter, then make sure to get a replacement strap that has a wide tab at the end.

I had a league game tonight. It was an easy game that I should have honestly had a shut out in, but we won 6-2. It was nice to have an easy game after a rough stretch. I did have a camera in the net and I'll post some footage tonight or tomorrow.

Edit: How was the Churchill skate today?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Are the straps sewn in or can you remove them without tools? If it's the former, you should be able to buy a replacement strap at Behind the Mask and then take it to shoe repair shop sew in the strap. If it's the latter, then make sure to get a replacement strap that has a wide tab at the end.

I had a league game tonight. It was an easy game that I should have honestly had a shut out in, but we won 6-2. It was nice to have an easy game after a rough stretch. I did have a camera in the net and I'll post some footage tonight or tomorrow.

Edit: How was the Churchill skate today?

They're sewn in. I'll take a look at behind that mask tomorrow. Churchill was pretty uneventful today. Too many line two guys and not enough line one.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

They're sewn in. I'll take a look at behind that mask tomorrow. Churchill was pretty uneventful today. Too many line two guys and not enough line one.

If you can't find an a replacement boot strap, then I might have an extra one lying around. I'd just need to look around my garage and see if I can find it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
First night back from the ski vacation and I sucked. Really bad rebound cost us an early goal and it was one of those nights where I was just getting no action which made it hard to focus and when I did it was bad bounces or strong opportunities. I'm not going to blame the Gods on this one though I was feeling lethargic and just not good tonight. By the end I got my bearings back and thankfully the team scored enough to give us the win.

This new angle should be a lot more helpful though. I look forward to using this more often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPLcq9RuoE8

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
This isn't my most exciting footage ever, but here is the footage from yesterday's game. We were playing a new team, so I didn't really need to go full out. There were a ton of penalties in this game and it seemed like the further they got down, the more they tried to start stuff or just dive. I left in one weird segment where their players are knocked down or dove 3 times in about 45 seconds. I gave up two goals tonight, the breakaway goal was part stick discipline and part not being square. The first goal that I gave up was a play where I thought that I caught the puck with my arm, but it fell in front of me and was knocked in. Dumb mental lapse on my part, but it seems like sometimes when I catch or think I catch a puck with my body, I'm afraid to move and potentially dislodge the puck, but then that leads to bad goals where I should have covered up the rebound. That goal happened 30 seconds after our captain told me we were playing for the shutout.

titanium, I like the new angle. It gives you a better view of how the play is developing.

Edit: If I feel like torturing myself, I'll try to get footage from my game on Wednesday. I should see a lot more shots in that game and I can't get away with playing in energy conservation mode like I did last night.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 27, 2012

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Titanium that new angle loving rules

1:21 :dukedog:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How did you go about mounting the cam up there, titanium? I really like the new angle. Much MUCH better than net cam, not that net cam sucks or anything.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

How did you go about mounting the cam up there, titanium? I really like the new angle. Much MUCH better than net cam, not that net cam sucks or anything.

I actually originally purchased the motorsport package gopro and the suction cup mount was included. I asked the ref if it was okay to mount it behind the net inside the glass and he was fine with it. The mount is strong as gently caress I was able to lift a body length mirror while it was suctioned onto it. If the glass was clear enough you could also mount it on the outside and have it face inward.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Joey Walnuts posted:

Same thing happened to my boot strap like a year ago. Instead of getting it done right, and getting a new one sewn in, I just punched a hole in the strap right below where it broke. It works, but it'll eventually break again.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So about 20 minutes into a session yesterday, I made two hard pushes to the right on two back to back breakaways, and after the second one, something didn't feel right. I ended up skating off the ice (how adult of me), and I have some sort of sprain that I can't describe without sounding juvenile. It's a dull aching/pain that sits underneath and to the left of my right butt cheek, and just east of my perineum.

It seems to only be a sprain (thank God), since I can feel it tense up, and then subside when I hit a motion that aggravates it. But hell if I know which muscle it actually is. It feels like my entire leg joint at the pelvis wants to pop like a knuckle, but can't. Have an appointment with the physio on Wednesday, so hopefully they can help diagnose it, or even better, it simply goes away by then.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I think the medical diagnosis would be a sprained taint.

I uploaded the footage of the other goalie from last night. He likes to half butterfly and there is a brief "fight" around 3:23. It seemed like his second period was busier than my game, though on Wednesday I'll be the one facing a million shots.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

Hazed_blue posted:

So about 20 minutes into a session yesterday, I made two hard pushes to the right on two back to back breakaways, and after the second one, something didn't feel right. I ended up skating off the ice (how adult of me), and I have some sort of sprain that I can't describe without sounding juvenile. It's a dull aching/pain that sits underneath and to the left of my right butt cheek, and just east of my perineum.

How is it that you manage to always injure the same poo poo as me?

That sounds part of your hip adductor (which I aggravated a couple of weeks ago). Straddle your foam roller and work it into your rear end-crack. Pause when you feel stiffness, and then work it gently to loosen it up (You might be able to resist being juvenile, but I can't).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Other goalie looks either like a really old-school standup type of dude that's trying to adjust to bfly, really uncomfortable with the bfly, or just new at goaltending. I don't mean that in any meanspirited way, I just look at how he butterflies and he doesn't seem to be very comfortable with it yet. He went down on the face of his pad at least once, and generally doesn't seem to drop very easily.

Might work for some people, but I think butterflying is pretty much the only goaltending skill I can do halfway decently :q:

I was just thinking earlier yesterday now weird it was that nobody really taught me to play goal. I just sort of went out on the ice after buying my equipment and started playing it. I sort of wish I could go back and watch myself progress through it. I literally cannot remember not being able to play goal so I must have picked it up quickly (and I certainly don't mean to imply "mastered") or something.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Hazed_blue posted:

It's a dull aching/pain that sits underneath and to the left of my right butt cheek, and just east of my perineum.
East of your perineum?

Reminds me of an old Daily Show clip where somebody refers to a woman's crotch as being "South of [her] Mason-Dixon line."

Aniki posted:

I think the medical diagnosis would be a sprained taint.
Spraint.

Aniki, you play real good, but man: you'd be loving awesome if you you improved your skating. (I think I've said that before.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

Spraint.

Aniki, you play real good, but man: you'd be loving awesome if you you improved your skating. (I think I've said that before.)

I see Spraint as some sort of aerosol that's popular in former Axis nations, Brazil, and parts of Ukraine.

My skating definitely needs to get better. I actually do pretty decent on a lot of movement drills, but it doesn't seem to translate to my game. It seems like whenever I watch footage of myself, I always kind of drift from spot to spot. Part of that is just trying to follow the play, but even when I shuffle it looks uncomfortable. I also feel like I need to be a little deeper in my stance and bend forward a little bit instead of seemingly keeping my back straight.

The other thing that I really want to work on is playing the puck. I'm starting to see a lot of situations where not coming out of the net and playing the puck is making things harder for me than they need to be. That does directly tie into skating and it's something I am planning on working on Tuesday night.

I also need to start going to open hockey again, but I've either been hurt, sick, or too busy to make the Friday skates lately.

• Locked thread