Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«297 »
YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

I'm starting to get some game-type situations to play in! I also finally got to see one of the first pictures taken of me in action during cross ice this past Friday. Composition of the picture is great, but I can't help but nitpick myself.

Good:
My eyes are tracking the puck.
I very clearly made this save, and made it look easy.
I say that because I had this guy scouted out and he pretty much always shoots for that spot, so score one for good prep.

Bad:
Mismatched leg pads with gloves, I clearly don't look better than anyone on the ice with this getup.
Stick not covering 5 hole properly (luckily my knees were together).

I think the angle on the picture has me believing i'm giving up a little bit more net short side than I actually am. The shot release was probably right around in line with the right edge of the hash marks in the circle. Slightly overlapping my left leg instead of jamming my skates into the post probably wouldn't have been a bad idea. I also think I may be a bit deep, but I blame that on this being cross ice and having practically no landmarks to work with.

But hey, I only gave up like four goals that mini game while the other guy got shelled for like 12, so I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

WHY AM I YELLING? I AM VERY CONFUSED RIGHT NOW! I SEEM TO HAVE MISPLACED MY KEYS.

Against tight angle shots I tend to try and remain standing or go into a VH depending on how close the shooter is. You look pretty tall so I'd agree with doing a butterfly to make this save, but you're correct that additional depth would be a good choice. It's a hard read with a close in play like this because you're trying to decide if he's going to shoot, cut to the inside or take it around the net.

You're right about your stick position being a little off with 5 hole coverage, but you are keeping your hands out in front of you, which is a positive. Your body position suggests that you were a bit off your angle to make a glove save at that distance, but you still made the same. From my experience, I try and rely on body positioning when making tight in saves because it's very difficult to effectively react to a shot from that tight in.

I've been playing really well the past couple of weeks in pickup. In fact a few people have asked me what C league team I play for (I'm a D leaguer at best.). I started working a bit with a goalie coach a month or two ago and the biggest thing I took away from that was proper stick positioning. I have a tendency to pull the heel up on my stick and it makes it so that I lose coverage and stopping ability with the stick. I adjusted my blocker positioning and switched to a wooden stick with a slightly longer paddle and I'm making way more saves down low with the stick. I'm using a 26" paddle, which may be a little long for my height (5'9") but I feel like it complements my standing stance better than a shorter paddle.

«297 »