Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

nahanahs posted:

You guys have games where you don't face 50+ shots? I need a new team.

Surprisingly, yeah. That being said, I've faced 50+ shots that past two times I've played, though I haven't done myself any favors with poor rebound control. Hopefully, I'll play better on Wedensday, but I came down with a nasty cold on Sunday, so we'll see.

real_scud posted:

Won another rookie league championship yesterday. Though we came damned close to not winnning it thanks to the refs completely loving up a call and giving the other team a goal when it never went in.

Guy came in on a breakaway on my right-side and took a decent shot 5-hole. I closed up my pads and felt it hit my left pad softly. I stand up and the puck is tucked under my right boot and nowhere near the goal line.

I scooped it up towards the dot and the ref picked it up and went to the center-circle. It took me a good 10 seconds to realize that he somehow gave them a goal. I went to the center-circle to protest but the idiotic line judge said he saw it go in and would have nothing of it.

Which of course sparked the other team after we were up by 3 and they ended up tying the game before we got an OT winner.

Congratulations! I'm glad that the BS goal didn't end up costing you the championship.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Aniki posted:

Surprisingly, yeah. That being said, I've faced 50+ shots that past two times I've played, though I haven't done myself any favors with poor rebound control. Hopefully, I'll play better on Wedensday, but I came down with a nasty cold on Sunday, so we'll see.

Pretty much every team I'm on averages the highest shots against in each division they're in. I dunno whether that speaks to how bad the D can be at times, or how much they trust me to make the save....

The one I know off the top of my head, we're averaging a shade over 32 shots per game, and the next closest team is at like 27.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guys, I'm not quite sure how to say this but..

In the last few weeks I've played..

Competently :stare:

It's as big a mystery to me as to anyone, seriously. I've been tracking the puck pretty well which is the biggest change I've made. Before I'd half look at the puck and half at the player and now I just tell myself LOOK AT THE PUCK STUPID and before I know it it's in my glove or pads or chest, anywhere but the back of the net.

I haven't given up a lot of "terrible" goals. I still have maybe one per game that I'd like back, but for the most part all the goals I've given up in the past few weeks have been ridiculous 3 on 1 tic tac toes, great one-timers from the sides, and otherwise just good plays that I wouldn't be too fussed about giving up.

If you're feeling down about your game, just give it time. You'll have a good week and then you can build off that. I was miserable for a while and now I'm on top of the world. Crazy.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 15, 2012

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Guys, I'm not quite sure how to say this but..

In the last few weeks I've played..

Competently :stare:
Aw man, now you done it though. You acknowledged the hot streak! You know what happens next. :downsrim:

Just loving with you, high five on feeling right in your game.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
We played the top team in our league tonight, which isn't the best thing to do when you're sick. I played great in the first period and allowed 2 goals on 20-25 shots, including making 3 or 4 saves without my stick to end the period. When I went to pick up my stick afterwards, it nearly triggered a backspasm, which was a bit frightening. The second period was more of the same, I faced another 15-20 shots and I let in some fluky goals. As for the third, I gave up two goals towards the end, but that was after the game got completely out of hand and I hand't faced a shot for around 10 minutes, because of all of the penalties and fights.

I think were 4 or 5 fights during the game, 3 of which happened in front the crease and I got hit in the head with sticks during two of them. The other team was being really aggressive, their guys were grabbing sticks, bodies, and for some reason were targetting the two old guys on the team and started fights with both of them. We talked to some of the other teams after the game and apparently the team we faced has a reputation for dicks and it's not unusual for their games to get really chippy. The good news is that three of their players are being forced to move up to a higher league next season, but unfortuntely they are being allowed to finish the season with their team.

It was a really tough game in every sense of the word. The first two periods felt like more than a full game and I faced a ton of breakaways, though I did oddly well on those tonight, stopping like 10 out of 12. They kept on going in really tight of breakaways, so I was able to break up a lot of them with my stick and I even managed to upend one of their players and send him crashing into the net. It wasn't intentional, but he was one of the instigators on their team, so my team was pretty happy about that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every league has one of those teams. I think it's mandated. Like if you join a league without one, they come up to you and say "okay, sorry, you're it".

Seriously though, sorry about your rough luck there. I've played when sick before and while it actually usually helps to alleviate my symptoms for a few hours it does nothing for my on-ice performance. Sounds like you did pretty well, all things considering.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Every league has one of those teams. I think it's mandated. Like if you join a league without one, they come up to you and say "okay, sorry, you're it".

No kidding. One of the teams I'm on, the team in first in the division was undefeated going into a game with the last or second to last place team, and they got into an actual legit bench clearer (or at least all the guys from the first place team left the bench). The entire team, save for the goalie, got suspended for at least 1 game, some got more. They had to forfeit their next game (of course against a team we're fighting with for a playoff spot) because everyone was suspended. Bunch of clowns who've sandbagged in a lower division than they should be playing in for too long. Looking forward to them getting their lunch handed to them when they finally move up next session (hopefully to the division 2 up from where they are, so my other team can do the thrashing).

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So you fellas with GoPro cameras, assure me of something: it gets better, right? You eventually forget that the camera is back there, you stop acting like an idiot, and your game returns to normal... right? :ohdear:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Hazed_blue posted:

So you fellas with GoPro cameras, assure me of something: it gets better, right? You eventually forget that the camera is back there, you stop acting like an idiot, and your game returns to normal... right? :ohdear:

The only time I think about the camera in the net is when I make a really good save and I'm glad that I have footage of it. Otherwise, I forget that it's there. That being said, video doesn't lie. It eventually gets less painful to watch footage of yourself, but I don't know if that's a sign of improvement or more accepting that you play slow motion hockey. :(

As for dickhead teams, every league has them. I'm not really sure what fun it is to play below your level. I can see it being fun for a while, but maybe if the league isn't challenging, you resort to starting fights to keep yourself interested? I'm just glad it's being taken care of, but the combination of ringers and overaggressive players is pretty annoying.

I did alright, I had a strong first period and while there were some plays that I felt that I should have stopped, they just had way too many scoring chances. I can't beat myself up too much over the game, we only scored two goals and my rebound control was honestly a lot better than the past two games, so that's something to build off of. I also want to work on playing the puck more. It seems like I could eliminate some of the scoring chances on me if I get comfortable clearing the puck out of the zone or at least away from pressure. I think that I stay in the net too much and the more I can get involved with puck movement, the less opportunities the other team will have to attack me.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 16, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe I'm the oddball here, but every time there's a camera on me I feel like I'm playing just that extra bit harder so I don't have to watch myself be dumb later.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Maybe I'm the oddball here, but every time there's a camera on me I feel like I'm playing just that extra bit harder so I don't have to watch myself be dumb later.

There is a bit of that. It keeps you in check mentally, because you don't want to watch yourself make that stupid play later. That being said, I don't actively think about the camera, but it does seem to serve as motivation.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

A guy I play on two teams with has his own sports video company, so he records his own games alot (his wife, or a guy that works for him), and at first I was like that, now it doesn't even bother me.

I've noticed lately that I get worked up alot more when I play against friends and guys who I play with on different teams. Like rivalry games.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Hah. First GoPro I received needed to be RMA'd right out of the box, and the replacement? Second use ever and it got put through its paces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULQvQRKkFIM

Dude roofed a backhander during pickup and it cracked the plastic bracket near the strap, and slowly but surely it loosened up and fell. I wasn't even on the ice! I had been thinking about making a quick release clamp to make transferring the cam from one end to the other faster, but now it looks like I'll have to do so promptly.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Hazed_blue posted:

Hah. First GoPro I received needed to be RMA'd right out of the box, and the replacement? Second use ever and it got put through its paces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULQvQRKkFIM

Dude roofed a backhander during pickup and it cracked the plastic bracket near the strap, and slowly but surely it loosened up and fell. I wasn't even on the ice! I had been thinking about making a quick release clamp to make transferring the cam from one end to the other faster, but now it looks like I'll have to do so promptly.

If the plastic protective case broke, then you can buy a replacement case. It must be bad luck, but if you can provide pictures of how you are trying to mount the camera, then I may be able to tell you how to secure it better.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Aniki posted:

If the plastic protective case broke, then you can buy a replacement case. It must be bad luck, but if you can provide pictures of how you are trying to mount the camera, then I may be able to tell you how to secure it better.

It's just the strap accessory that broke; the case itself is still intact. I had it cinched around the vertical goal bar in the middle, and I guess when the plastic backing snapped, it lost tension and slid down the bar (none of the rinks around here use padding on the bars). In retrospect I should have threaded it through the netting as a safeguard, but alas.

I'm thinking that a metal spring clamp might do the trick, though we'll see what the stores have.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah okay so I know I asked this before but it was a while back in the thread.

Everything that hits my chest bounces out like 10 feet in front of me instantly. How do you deaden pucks that hit you? Or at least minimize the hilariously rubbery rebounds? Is it just a matter of angling your body down or what? I feel like this is something I should know already, but somehow I'm giving up like five or ten terrible off-the-chest rebounds right into the slot every game.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Lean down and bring your catcher up to cradle the puck if it's hitting you near the gut. Anything that hits you up around the shoulders is going to bounce somewhere.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh okay. Well this stuff has been hitting me around the floaters consistently so I guess that's just going to happen then, huh? :(

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Glove side you can definitely work on keeping your fingers up and catching the puck in front of you. Blocker side is a little trickier but getting your blocker on the puck is probably still better.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Hazed_blue posted:

It's just the strap accessory that broke; the case itself is still intact. I had it cinched around the vertical goal bar in the middle, and I guess when the plastic backing snapped, it lost tension and slid down the bar (none of the rinks around here use padding on the bars). In retrospect I should have threaded it through the netting as a safeguard, but alas.

I'm thinking that a metal spring clamp might do the trick, though we'll see what the stores have.

You can get a replacement mount if needed, but you only need one of the clips working to mount the camera. Mount the camera about halfway down the center pipe. Take the strap from the side where the clip is broken, bring it behind the center bar and feed it through the working clip on the other side. Make sure that it is tight and the camera is pointing straight ahead and then close the working clip. I also prefer to have the camera hanging upside down and there is a setting that you can use, so that it will flip the footage.

I hope that made sense, but you only need one clip in order to mount the camera properly. That's how I do it and I've only had the camera fall off of the center bar once. I should not that it can be a little tricky to feed the strap through the clip on the other side, especially if the padding is thicker on the center post, but after you do it a few times, it gets easier.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

Lean down and bring your catcher up to cradle the puck if it's hitting you near the gut. Anything that hits you up around the shoulders is going to bounce somewhere.

I don't think about it much, but that's how I do it. Lean forward, bring your trapper with the openside up into your stomach and that trap most of the shots into your body. I also catch a lot of pucks with my biceps, but that's because I drop into a blocking butterfly when I should keep my gloves up and catch it with my trapper instead of my arm.

As for pucks giving off big rebounds from your shoulder floaters? How tight are the shoulders on your C/A and do you pull your suspenders over your C/A? If you do the latter, then try not doing that the next time you play. Your C/A should sit a little higher and you'll have a natural cushion of padding and air that should help deaden the puck on shots to the shoulders.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Why is it that I always play out of my mind during draft skates?!

And it loving figures that I'd made a crazy Thomas-like diving save and it's on the other side of the rink from where I setup my GoPro :argh:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

real_scud posted:

Why is it that I always play out of my mind during draft skates?!

And it loving figures that I'd made a crazy Thomas-like diving save and it's on the other side of the rink from where I setup my GoPro :argh:

Literally the whitest person problem... And I can relate 100%.

I'm due for some new pads and I'm thinking about going back to a 60 degree break glove. Of course Nikon releases the camera I want in a month and I just bought another motorcycle. Life is impossible.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I've never quite been able to figure out the difference in glove breaks. I know that it has to do with thumb angle/position, but if you gave me a glove, I wouldn't be able to tell you if it had a 60, 75, or 90 degree break.

Which pads are you looking at?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Speaking of gear, after a good convo with a buddy of mine I play ball hockey with lastnight, we were both lamenting about getting back on ice and playing, and we decided to make a strong effort to put a team together for next winter (or fall). So of course first steps for me would be to upgrade my gear. I already know I need a new helmet, pants, and my C/A should be OK, but an upgrade wouldn't be crazy. I know what I want for a helmet and C/A, but I pretty much have been using the same pants for like 15 years, and I'm fairly certain they wouldn't hold up on ice.

I don't even really know what to look for in pants. I'm not overly concerned with price at the moment, I ref at my roller rink, and don't take the pay, so by the end of this month, I'll have like $300 credit on my account, with my teams for next session already paid for (so all next session will be credits). So what the hell should I be looking for? I'm much more concerned with good protection, then mobility over anything else.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Speaking of gear, after a good convo with a buddy of mine I play ball hockey with lastnight, we were both lamenting about getting back on ice and playing, and we decided to make a strong effort to put a team together for next winter (or fall). So of course first steps for me would be to upgrade my gear. I already know I need a new helmet, pants, and my C/A should be OK, but an upgrade wouldn't be crazy. I know what I want for a helmet and C/A, but I pretty much have been using the same pants for like 15 years, and I'm fairly certain they wouldn't hold up on ice.

I don't even really know what to look for in pants. I'm not overly concerned with price at the moment, I ref at my roller rink, and don't take the pay, so by the end of this month, I'll have like $300 credit on my account, with my teams for next session already paid for (so all next session will be credits). So what the hell should I be looking for? I'm much more concerned with good protection, then mobility over anything else.

I'm not sure which helmet you are looking at, but especially since your aim is getting gear for the fall, then I would contact Michel from Protechsport. His site is lovely, but it's legitimate and you can get a very safe semi-custom mask from him for as low as $300. It can take up 2-3 months for him to make a mask, but if you can wait for a new mask, then it is worth it. Take a look at his full fiberglass mask or the full kevlar mask. All of his masks are designed to offer the same level of protection and the main differences between the fiberglass and kevlar mask will be the weight. As for off the shelf masks, you can always try on the Eddy Custom Kevlar, the Eddy LeRoc, or Hackva.

As for pants, the Bauer Elite pants that I use have been pretty great. They are a SR pant, but I've been really happy with the level of protection that they offer. I did remove the thigh guards, but only because they were redundant. I assume other SR pants should offer similar protection, but just find something that you feel like you can move in well and has good protection.

Which C/A are you using and what kind of shape is it in? Are there any areas where you routinely feel stingers or get bruising?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

I've never quite been able to figure out the difference in glove breaks. I know that it has to do with thumb angle/position, but if you gave me a glove, I wouldn't be able to tell you if it had a 60, 75, or 90 degree break.

Which pads are you looking at?

Warrior Rituals or the 997's, from the pics/vids I've seen about the Rituals they look pretty fantastic. I still love my 995's but the knee cradles a bit squishy, apparently thats taken care of in the 997 but I'd still like to mix it up a bit. The Ritual Pro (noncustom china made) is actually made with all the same materials and I might give them a chance for the $500 savings since they have all white. I'd be buying a 997 glove though. If I could afford a new Vaughn or that new TotalOne Bauer I'd probably give those a shot but I'm buying too much poo poo right now.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Warrior Rituals or the 997's, from the pics/vids I've seen about the Rituals they look pretty fantastic. I still love my 995's but the knee cradles a bit squishy, apparently thats taken care of in the 997 but I'd still like to mix it up a bit. The Ritual Pro (noncustom china made) is actually made with all the same materials and I might give them a chance for the $500 savings since they have all white. I'd be buying a 997 glove though. If I could afford a new Vaughn or that new TotalOne Bauer I'd probably give those a shot but I'm buying too much poo poo right now.

I know that Pete Smith designed the new ritual pads, so I am curious to see what he did with those. My only concern with Warrior is build quality and that's more an attention to detail and quality control thing than whether pads are made in China or Canada. They may have fixed those issues now, but I know that they were hammered on their build quality before.

What was your verdict on the current set of gear that you're using? I know we have the same blocker and my only complaint is that finger guard would sometimes bend out of place, which was annoying, but I can only recall getting hit there once because of that. Other than that, everything is still in good shape and performing well, but you're obviously testing your equipment at a much higher level than I am.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

I know that Pete Smith designed the new ritual pads, so I am curious to see what he did with those. My only concern with Warrior is build quality and that's more an attention to detail and quality control thing than whether pads are made in China or Canada. They may have fixed those issues now, but I know that they were hammered on their build quality before.

What was your verdict on the current set of gear that you're using? I know we have the same blocker and my only complaint is that finger guard would sometimes bend out of place, which was annoying, but I can only recall getting hit there once because of that. Other than that, everything is still in good shape and performing well, but you're obviously testing your equipment at a much higher level than I am.

All of my stuff is holding up strong, glove is solid with no rips or anything never once had a stinger in it. I'm a little worried about going to a 2 piece cuff again cause I used to get wrist stingers but nothing catostophic. I just called Simmons and I think im just going to get a 996 modded to be a 997 for a solid price. I'm not switching because of quality or poor design I knew this Vaughn glove was 90 and I might not jive with it and now I know. Standard handed goalies be happy you can get a true sense of feeling when you're at your LHS. I've had some 90s in my hand that I think I'd like more but I'll think a bit more before buying another one.

My blocker has the same minimal problem yours does by the pinky guard but I've never been hit there. If I were to modify it I would have the hand tilt inward more and angle a bit different but again that's personal preference, I'm keeping it because I still like it.

995 pads I got since the were released and they've held up great, some wearing in the inner boot but every pad gets that. My 995/6 chest is still fantastic shoots rebounds out a tad more than other brands but I'll take that over insane rib bruises, at least at the price.

My one100 skates I still love even though the vertex cutout is cracking again, I just replaced the steel on them and it was easy as pie.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was going to say that good pants don't really matter, but then I realize I've taken stingers to my thigh like six out of the last ten games I've played. loving Vaughn Vision entry-level bullshit :mad:

I'm about to staple plastic inside just to protect that one spot that ALWAYS gets hit.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Aniki posted:

I'm not sure which helmet you are looking at, but especially since your aim is getting gear for the fall, then I would contact Michel from Protechsport. His site is lovely, but it's legitimate and you can get a very safe semi-custom mask from him for as low as $300. It can take up 2-3 months for him to make a mask, but if you can wait for a new mask, then it is worth it. Take a look at his full fiberglass mask or the full kevlar mask. All of his masks are designed to offer the same level of protection and the main differences between the fiberglass and kevlar mask will be the weight. As for off the shelf masks, you can always try on the Eddy Custom Kevlar, the Eddy LeRoc, or Hackva.

As for pants, the Bauer Elite pants that I use have been pretty great. They are a SR pant, but I've been really happy with the level of protection that they offer. I did remove the thigh guards, but only because they were redundant. I assume other SR pants should offer similar protection, but just find something that you feel like you can move in well and has good protection.

Which C/A are you using and what kind of shape is it in? Are there any areas where you routinely feel stingers or get bruising?

In regards to the helmet, I am probably going to get one of the eddies, mainly since it's readily available, and I've tried one on before, and it fit pretty well.

As far as a C/A, I've been using the Tour Aironic Pro 800, which I can't seem to find at any regular store online anymore, even though I got it only a year or two ago. But heres a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toa2_yePTTM I really don't get any stingers or bruising, but then again, I'm only playing roller or ball hockey.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

I was going to say that good pants don't really matter, but then I realize I've taken stingers to my thigh like six out of the last ten games I've played. loving Vaughn Vision entry-level bullshit :mad:

I'm about to staple plastic inside just to protect that one spot that ALWAYS gets hit.

Yeah, the inner thigh is where a lot of pants fail. Some people like sacrificing protection there, so that they can keep their thighs closer together in the butterfly, but I'd rather have the extra padding there. I can recall only 1 instance where I suffered an inner thigh bruise with my current pants and I've been really happy with the level of protection they provide.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 20, 2012

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

All of my stuff is holding up strong, glove is solid with no rips or anything never once had a stinger in it. I'm a little worried about going to a 2 piece cuff again cause I used to get wrist stingers but nothing catostophic. I just called Simmons and I think im just going to get a 996 modded to be a 997 for a solid price. I'm not switching because of quality or poor design I knew this Vaughn glove was 90 and I might not jive with it and now I know. Standard handed goalies be happy you can get a true sense of feeling when you're at your LHS. I've had some 90s in my hand that I think I'd like more but I'll think a bit more before buying another one.

My blocker has the same minimal problem yours does by the pinky guard but I've never been hit there. If I were to modify it I would have the hand tilt inward more and angle a bit different but again that's personal preference, I'm keeping it because I still like it.

995 pads I got since the were released and they've held up great, some wearing in the inner boot but every pad gets that. My 995/6 chest is still fantastic shoots rebounds out a tad more than other brands but I'll take that over insane rib bruises, at least at the price.

My one100 skates I still love even though the vertex cutout is cracking again, I just replaced the steel on them and it was easy as pie.

I'm still not sure what the difference between a 1 and 2-piece cuff is? I know that my Zero G trapper had a 2-piece cuff and my 7900 trapper has a 1-piece cuff. Is the two piece cuff supposed to allow for more forward flex or what exactly does it do? You're using the Vision trapper, which is supposed to be a T5500 style glove, right? Does the break refer to the angle of the pocket/T or the angle of your thumb? I did notice that the thumb angle on the 7900 was different than the Zero G, which bugged me at first and I can definitely see how that could bother someone.

As far as C/As go, I've been interested in Passau lately. They started off by cloning the Vaughn Epic/Vision C/A, but it seems like they've made some nice improvements since then. I believe they're supposed to be cheaper than a comparable Vaughn as well.

I tried on the One100 skates a few weeks back. I did like the feel of them and since I need to replace my cowlings soon, I'm debating putting the One100 cowlings on my Grafs or possibly just getting One100s. I did like that the ankles felt like a tighter fit in those skates, but have the ankles held up over time or did they get looser with use? At this point, I'm waiting to see the new Graf skates, since they are supposed to be lighter than the G50s, have a similar attack angle to the One100s, and actually have replaceable blades. If I like those, then I'll decide if I want to just get the new cowlings, get the new skates, and if I don't like them, then I'll revisit Bauer. At least the new Bauer skates seem to fit me, which is good since before their current generation of skates, they were too narrow for me.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 20, 2012

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

titanium posted:

All of my stuff is holding up strong, glove is solid with no rips or anything never once had a stinger in it.

What kind of glove do you use? I'm really tired of taking shots to the fingers that hurt

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

nahanahs posted:

What kind of glove do you use? I'm really tired of taking shots to the fingers that hurt

I use a Simmons 995 with the pro palm but I think they all have it now. Never had any issues with it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

nahanahs posted:

This model of the Vaughn Vision with pro palm. I remember when she was clean, and new, and not stained yellow.

Aniki posted:

I'm still not sure what the difference between a 1 and 2-piece cuff is? I know that my Zero G trapper had a 2-piece cuff and my 7900 trapper has a 1-piece cuff. Is the two piece cuff supposed to allow for more forward flex or what exactly does it do? You're using the Vision trapper, which is supposed to be a T5500 style glove, right? Does the break refer to the angle of the pocket/T or the angle of your thumb? I did notice that the thumb angle on the 7900 was different than the Zero G, which bugged me at first and I can definitely see how that could bother someone.

As far as C/As go, I've been interested in Passau lately. They started off by cloning the Vaughn Epic/Vision C/A, but it seems like they've made some nice improvements since then. I believe they're supposed to be cheaper than a comparable Vaughn as well.

I tried on the One100 skates a few weeks back. I did like the feel of them and since I need to replace my cowlings soon, I'm debating putting the One100 cowlings on my Grafs or possibly just getting One100s. I did like that the ankles felt like a tighter fit in those skates, but have the ankles held up over time or did they get looser with use? At this point, I'm waiting to see the new Graf skates, since they are supposed to be lighter than the G50s, have a similar attack angle to the One100s, and actually have replaceable blades. If I like those, then I'll decide if I want to just get the new cowlings, get the new skates, and if I don't like them, then I'll revisit Bauer. At least the new Bauer skates seem to fit me, which is good since before their current generation of skates, they were too narrow for me.

I think the 1 piece ends up dissipating impact across your entire hand and forehand vs isolating the impact a bit more. You can hear Luongo mention the same in his interview about the new P4 equipment.

Passau is the CA I actually wanted to buy but wasnt sure what the pricing was like. I'm still eyeing them since the 996 is a tiny bit bulky in the upper chest, not a huge deal and I still love it just a stored excuse to buy new equipment down the line.

Graf users tend not to switch teams, I've never heard anything but good things aside from weight/nonreplaceable blades. If you like your skates now do like you plan and wait for the new one to come out.

titanium fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 21, 2012

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

This model of the Vaughn Vision with pro palm. I remember when she was clean, and new, and not stained yellow.

I think the 1 piece ends up dissipating impact across your entire hand and forehand vs isolating the impact a bit more. You can hear Luongo mention the same in his interview about the new P4 equipment.

Passau is the CA I actually wanted to buy but wasnt sure what the pricing was like. I'm still eyeing them since the 996 is a tiny bit bulky in the upper chest, not a huge deal and I still love it just a stored excuse to buy new equipment down the line.

Graf users tend not to switch teams, I've never heard anything but good things aside from weight/nonreplaceable blades. If you like your skates now do like you plan and wait for the new one to come out.

I could see how that works and on a semi-related note, I'm curious why 1-piece cuffs are illegal in Europe.

The Passau C/As cost $450 + shipping. They're interesting to me, because people describe them as more mobile than an Epic/Vision, but offering a similar level of protection to a Brown. My C/A is still fine, but it's too big for me, so having a C/A that is made to fit me is pretty intriguing. They are also willing to make just about any customization that you want, so if you wanted more should protection or extra padding on the inside of the forearm, then they could add that.

As for the skates, it sounds like the new Grafs are supposed to address a lot of issues that have bugged Graf users for a long time, like reducing the weight, having replaceable blades, and having a more aggressive attack angle. Ideally, I'd just put the new cowlings on my current boots, but I'd like to get a look at the new skates and see if there is any reason to consider more than replacing my cowlings. As for Bauer, their older skates didn't fit me well, but they changed the sizing of their skates for the One80s/One100s and their newer skates fit well. They do seem to be tighter around the ankle, which I like, but I'm not sure if that's just a new skate thing that would loosen over time or if they are designed to fit like that.

Now that my new mask is being made, the only necessary upgrade I have is the cowlings, since my steel is getting pretty low. I'm still very happy with my pads and gloves and the C/A is in the category of if I can find something I like better and have extra money laying around, then I'll consider it. I'm going to try getting more lessons soon, since that will help me more than equipment, but it's hard finding lessons available that aren't either super early in the morning or are during week days. I'm actually thinking about coming up to Minnesota for a week this summer, since I haven't been back for a few years, and trying to arrange some lessons. One of my brother's knows a goalie coach who used to play for the Gophers and even if I don't get lessons from him, it should be a lot easier to find instruction up there than in Phoenix.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

titanium posted:

Supposedly the new Graf line will have replaceable blades. I love my Grafs I would only probably switch to those Bauer100s or whatever if I ever did.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Aniki posted:

Yeah, the inner thigh is where a lot of pants fail. Some people like sacrificing protection there, so that they can keep their thighs closer together in the butterfly, but I'd rather have the extra padding there. I can recall only 1 instance where I suffered an inner thigh bruise with my current pants and I've been really happy with the level of protection they provide.

I have the Reebok 9Ks and there is a ton of padding in the inner thigh specifically to close the five hole easier. The padding is even adjustable with velcro pads.

I'm also starting to look at some new pads, and may go custom for the first time. Has anyone had a chance to try out the Rituals or the P4s? I really like my Vaughns, but before I most likely go with the V5s, I'd like to hear what you guys think about the Warriors and Reeboks. I'm really curious about glove breaks, too. I'm really happy with my Vaughn V3 break (closes like a baseball glove) but I have no idea what break that is.

I did finally get that shutout I'd been looking for in my new league but now my team has decided that deflecting pucks at me and screening me is the better option, no matter how often I tell them to let me stop the shots.

Annnnnnd some fun photos! My town has a covered outdoor rink in the winter, which is where I play most of my drop-in. One night it was windy and dumping snow so we ended up with this:

Not me, and sadly this photo doesn't show the massive snowforts us three goalies built. If someone tried to send the puck around behind, it got lost in the snow. After being on the ice, I came off during my break, took off my mask found this:

It was legitimately a fun night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I like to think that the steam rising from my head is my soul escaping my body. It looks like your soul accumulated on top of your mask.

• Locked thread