Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
Met my new team for the first time and boy... I almost feel like asking for a refund. We played a pickup game and my team is just absolutely atrocious. I'm a pretty good goalie, albeit a little bit rusty since I haven't played consistently since about last March. Anyway my defense is absolutely horrific and the other team was getting routine 2 on 1's and breakaways. Eventually I just stopped trying on some of the two on ones because it got to be so loving annoying watching these guys just give up the puck at neutral ice and watch the other team come my way uncontested with all the time in the world to do whatever they want. I didn't keep track of how many times the other team scored but they probably got like 11 goals, maybe 3 of which were actually my fault. I get that it's a pickup game but I'm hoping against hope that my team plays nothing like this during our first (actual) game.

We have this one defender who is like 50 something and he can not keep people in front of him to save his life. People are literally just walking around him at like half speed and the other team literally gets a great scoring chance everytime he steps on the ice. On one hand I don't want to be a dick and make strategic suggestions to the captains of the team since I'm new but on the other hand I'm a really competitive person and I guarantee we will never win a game if he plays D regularly.

It's weird too because I'm playing in a league with 8 divisions and I'm in the third highest division. Some of these guys on this team clearly belong in the 5th or 6th divisions but are playing up or something.

Anyhow sorry to post a huge rant as my first post in this thread but if I don't vent somewhere I'm going to go absolutely insane. I paid $425 for this and it's really frustrating. I'm sure there are plenty other goalies who have played for absolutely lovely teams with horrible defense that can relate to this.

Again, sorry for the e/n goalie rant.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Aniki posted:

Don't worry, man. We all get frustrated with our teams at different times and like VendaGoat said, it is better to vent than to explode on our teammates. Welcome to the the thread and hopefully your team will get better or you'll play well enough that another team will want you. If they are as bad as advertised, then just try to keep playing your game, don't fall into the trap of trying to do too much, and smart players can differentiate between a goalie playing poorly and a goalie stuck behind a bad defense or team.

Yeah I'll keep everyone updated as we enter league play and actually play other teams in our tier. This was just a pickup game but if this is any indication of what our team is like it's going to take every ounce of my strength not to lose my poo poo after every game.

I think I'm just aggravated because this league prides itself on putting players in the right leagues and maintaining parity. Before you can play they evaluate you to see which tier you belong in. Anyhow I played with two other goalies in the eval session. The one goalie was like 30 and he was pretty skilled, you could tell he's been playing most his life and the other goalie was like 40, same thing except a little bit slower into the butterfly and not nearly as quick. Naturally he let in more goals and more ugly goals for that matter, including a zero angle shot from the goal line. He wasn't terrible by any means but you could tell he was a little bit less skilled than me and the 30 yr old.

When they did the evaluation they ranked me and 30 yr old goalie as being able to play at the top two skill levels at the lowest, and 40 yr old at the 4th highest skill level. Then they emailed me and said they made a mistake and that I was the one at the 4th highest skill level. They also called me by the wrong name in the email and called me by the 30 yr old's name (which leads me to believe that they mixed the three of us up or something). Needless to say that kinda pissed me off but I sorta just let it slide since I'm new to the league and this gives me more options as far as which level I can play at.

I am on the sub list for goalies so my only hope is that other teams will need a sub goalie and I'll get to play for various teams around the league.

VendaGoat posted:

I think we have all been there, don't feel bad. I've bitched about my team in this thread, amongst others.

I think the consensus is, it's better for us to bitch here, then to our teams and cause problems.

Along those lines. If I had a dime for every screwed up play that resulted in a breakaway or a 2 on 1 against me, my team would have bought my gear for me.

I still love playing goal. :)
Agreed. I don't mind mistakes that lead to me having to make a play but when I face like 8 breakaways and 3-4 two on 0's I start to lose faith in humanity.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

titanium posted:

Where do you skate maybe someone here can help you out as far as getting another team?

My advice for getting on different teams is get your number out there and start skating with private pickups as much as you can, even open hockey. Play well there and you'll get offers to play for someone else. Maybe it'll be a different night but it's amazing what it can do for your head when you have a good skate to look forward to after a bad one.

I play in the Twin Cities. And yeah hopefully I'll get some action as a sub and/or pickup games.

Played our first game yesterday. Lost 7-2, other team had 58 shots. I'd say one or maaaaybe two of those goals was my fault. I missed a pokecheck on a breakaway (in which the attacker was getting his stick lifted) which gifted the other team a goal. Our team actually scored first on a cheap breakaway 20 seconds into the game. Then 40 seconds later the other team scored because they got a triple rebound goal.

I literally stopped 5+ breakaways, our defensemen have no concept of how to play the game it's ridiculous. They're constantly pinching despite being way too slow to recover and the forwards lollygag back instead of backchecking. The one defenseman who I mentioned in the previous post is especially notorious for this. For example the other team had the puck in the neutral zone, on their half of it. Instead of staying on the blueline with the other D-man and keeping the play in front of him he literally pinched to the redline for absolutely no reason. Then their player got a pass along the side board and it was another 2 on 1. I almost want to talk to the coach and suggest having him move to forward. We'd let in at least 1 less goal per game by doing this.

Anyhow, hopefully I find other places to play.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

titanium posted:

Welp, wish I knew this I would have had you fill in for me tonight (pretty sick right now) you would have been bored though. Lets hit up some open hockey sometime.

I'd definitely be down (long as it isn't like at 1 AM in Elk River or some poo poo). I don't have PMs but I'd buy that feature if you do.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

:siren: :siren: My team actually won a game! :siren: :siren:

Basically we won in overtime 5-4. Other team had 38 shots. Only goal I'd really like back was a breakaway where I got scored on short side. poo poo happens I suppose. I honestly thought we wouldn't win a game this year given the makeup of the team but maybe this skill level just isn't very impressive.

I actually got to play in a different league yesterday and the skill level was superb. Everyone could skate really well and could snipe like crazy. Oldest guy out there was probably like late 20's. Stickhandling and vision of these guys was excellent, there really wasn't any noticeably weak player out there. Problem is our team got off to a really bad start because the the zamboni left about 3 inches of water on the ice and our Dman tried to skate the puck out but the puck got stuck in the water leading to a breakaway for the other team. I stopped the first shot but the guy got his own rebound and scored. About thirty seconds later one of our Dman careened the puck off the boards but it hit a notch in the board and it came out right in front of the net and they scored again. And then about a minute later the other team scored again on a third rebound. We got beat like 12-2 and I let in two really lovely goals later on but I actually had a lot of fun because the talent level was so high. If I wasn't tired as hell I probably could've kept it at 9-2 haha, the other team was insanely good. I wish I could play in this league more often but they already have a goalie so I'll only get to play for them here and there unfortunately.

If anyone on here lives in the Minneapolis metro area, if you could give me some good advice as far as finding pickup games and leagues in which the skill level is pretty high I'd appreciate it. Or if you have some type of ideas/suggestions as far as how I could get a team together to play in one of these higher skilled leagues or something. Should I try craigslist or something? (also is this last paragraph something I should post in the SAS hockeyplayer thread as well?)

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Have any of the goalies in this thread ever had success as far as getting their team to not be retarded during warmup? This happens all the loving time (with this team and others) and I honestly wonder if me saying anything will help, because even in the past it generally hasn't.

You know the drill. People whizzing pucks past your head or taking five minutes to deke like a douchenozzle. Then the one guy actually takes a shot that would warm you up and you're not even ready for it. Even when they organize the circle drill this ends up happening.

Now to be fair I haven't really relayed any of this to them and I plan to at least mention it before warmup on Saturday. But if that doesn't work (or it works for that one warmup and everyone forgets it the next week) is there anything I can do other than be a stoic and hope it corrects itself? Should I maybe try organizing drills or something for the warmup?

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

titanium posted:

Yesterday someone called to see if I could fill in for a skate, I didn't recognize the number but said fine anyway. Total garbage skate, people could hardly pass and to top it off while covering the puck one of the guys crashed into me compressed my spine so I pinched a nerve. This had happened before in the past and my right arm gets bound up and cant rise about shoulder height but it went away within the skate session. Today I'm still feeling like I have a 20lb weight in my hand while I try to raise it directly in front of me. Went to the chiropractor and he said he wasnt going to try and work on it any more than some minor stuff cause it might aggravate it more. It's slightly better but a shot high glove I'm not going to be able to get at at the moment.

That would really piss me off.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Also, got my new ice skates in. Bauer Elites (and I can't believe how small Bauer's sizing has gotten...2 to 2.5 below sneaker size). They fit beautifully, and I haven't even baked them yet. They feel amazing on my foot so far just walking around. Can't wait to skate on them.

Nice man. I put in an order for the Reebok 7k, my current skates are falling apart and need to be taped together every time haha.

So my team played with only 9 guys yesterday and are bad to begin with. I played well and we lost 8-3. Kinda annoying when you have to play well to only let in 8 goals.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Aniki posted:

Sometimes the difference between a shutout and an 8 goal game is the team in front of you. I went though a stretch where I had a couple shutouts and was playing great on one team and then on my other team I would routinely give up 8+ goals. I didn't feel like I played any differently between the two teams, but the major difference was one team played defense and the other team was new and the other team gave up 50+ shots per game. If you don't get too down on yourself, then playing for a bad team can help you build mental toughness and it's also great endurance training.

I will say that about 10 guys seems to be the minimum you need to have an effective team. You can win some games with a fewer people, but more often than not you'll stay in the game through 2 periods and then your team wears out and starts giving up a lot more scoring chances.

Edit: I talked to my physical therapist on Friday and she wants me to try out more lateral movements like shuffling and T-pushes. That will put more pressure on my MCL and if I can handle that without issue, then I should be able to start butterflying soon, but she still wants my Orthopedist to be the judge of when I can start butterflying. I meet with him on the 27th, so hopefully that meeting will go well. Certainly not 100%, but I am definitely improving and seem to be handling more difficult activity every time I go to therapy.

I think we only had 3 dmen and one of them was the guy who's notoriously bad at D. That being said he's improving and I really can't get too down on him at this point. He isn't constantly making bad pinching mistakes and letting up 3 on 1's like earlier in the year.

And yeah it was a workout. 50 shots and that almost seemed low given all the rebounds and whatnot I was stopping. I really need to find somewhere else to play though. Playing only once a week for this team will most certainly get old quick.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

titanium posted:

I just gave your name to a group of guys thats decent on Monday nights, let me know if theres a Wed-Sat open skate you're interested in maybe we can meet up.

It's driving me absolutely bonkers that I never caught wind of that Wild backup goalie contest, watching the vids I'm pretty positive I could have landed in the top 2. I'm realllly hoping that becomes a yearly deal.

Thanks a lot man much appreciated. And yeah I'd be happy to meet up, I don't know what locations have open skate and when but I'd love to know more.

Never even heard of that Wild contest, I'd do it if they have it again. Why not haha.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Played this weekend and my team lost 3-2 in OT. Other team had 38 shots and got the game winning goal on a powerplay. The guy who got the penalty got at least three penalties that game so loving frustrating. You'd think that he'd learn to not reach with his loving stick and just move his feet a little more but apparently not. I really can't complain though because the entire team actually showed up for once and they played pretty hard/well all things considered.

Thanks to Titanium I got to play a pickup game yesterday as well. Definitely some good players there and hopefully I'll get the opportunity to play with them more and network a bit.

Also the overtime game was the first game I played with my new skates:

I tried playing with these fresh out of the box without sharpening them and, well, obviously not a smart idea haha. I played pretty well though surprisingly (just didn't venture out of the net because I had no outside edge whatsoever).

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Played with a team that had 6 people (5 for the first period). We lost 6-3 one being a garbage goal they got with ten seconds left. We were somehow in it for most of the game and I made some really sick saves but also let in some stupid goals. One was simply because I was tired as hell, the others were a matter of tired defense and possible misjudgement on my part. Three of their goals came from the other team attacking from a zero angle along the goal line. The first I stayed standing and stopped the shot but they got the rebound. Not sure if they teach you to go down right away for those shots because it's impossible to cover them while standing. But really the defense shouldn't be letting the opponent just walk in and take three shots either. The second goal I think deflected off my teammate and in from a zero angle. I was hugging the post and then came off it a bit for the pass and it deflected in. Third goal was another where they came in from a crap angle and tried to stuff it and I stopped the first two shots but when I tried to go down for the third they stuffed it in. And there was another bad angle goal late in the third where I was just too tired to make the correct play and I went down when I shouldn't have.

Funny thing was I let in some of those dumb goals but stopped IDK how many breakaways, one timers and made rebounds.

Crazy thing is this team is pretty good and it's very likely they would've won if they had a full team.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

ManicJason posted:

I am honestly baffled. I considered writing an email to the team captain asking if there was anything other than just playing like poo poo, but there's no way to do it without being a baby. My team had an average of six skaters show up per game last season, and the league director said he heard from "five or six" players that they wouldn't be back if I was the goalie, so it sounds unanimous.

I can't see any reason other than my play. My team never had more than seven skaters show up per game, so I always faced the most shots and probably looked even worse than I was actually playing (which was still obviously not great.) I certainly haven't been pouting or storming out of the locker room or anything.

I've lost spots on teams before where I was clearly playing in leagues over my head and didn't really know anyone on the team, but this one was a total blind side. I usually ended up shooting the poo poo and drinking with the team captain for two or three hours after each game in the rink bar, but I didn't hear word one from him about this; I just got the call from the league director.

How the gently caress are you supposed to look when your team has 6 or so skaters? Your team will be gassed after a period and unable to clear the zone and even Henrik Lundqvist couldn't save a team in that situation. Hell I remember playing with a very skilled team of only 6 and we lost something like 7-3 because they just kept jamming in rebounds due to my team being gassed.

That's a bizarre situation to say the least so good luck. Obviously you're the least of problems here if your explanation of the situation is accurate.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

I can't stand people who take slap shots from in close. Unless you're Nick Bjugstad or an NHLer you probably should just not even attempt it. You're more likely to hurt someone than score. Especially in open hockey.

If it's a one timer or something I get it but in that case you're probably not winding up and ripping it.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

real_scud posted:

Subbed in net for my work team tonight, and why is it that the team that is supposedly a league above my rookie league team, ends up leaving me out to dry with more odd-man rushes and shittier break-out attempts that get picked off.

We ended up losing 8-4 because we had so many stupid giveaways in our own zone that I could get the initial save on a bunch, but then they had 2-3 guys crashing the net and none of our D clearing them out.

Just loving frustrating.

I play for a team like that. The other team literally got a quadruple rebound goal on me to tie the game once. It's like it never occurred to them that looking down at the puck and missing it doesn't work as well as figuring out who the attackers are and lifting a stick or playing the body (within reason of course). There were literally four players on my team in front of the loving net too...

I have gotten to play for some other teams though thank god. I played for a team in one of the gold leagues (which has some former D1 players) and won with the last place team 8-6. We only had 6 guys too. I made two really sick diving saves (one where I lost my stick) and apparently that was the difference. 6 goals obviously doesn't sound great but when you have only 6 guys that's going to happen simply due to the other team having more opportunities to crash the net and play more aggressively.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Any idea when the Warrior Chest and Arm comes out this year? I know it's been talked about but never heard a release date or anything.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

titanium posted:

This was growing up, he's from the twin cities so I played against him in youth in a couple summer leagues. He came in battling hard and the whistle was blown he had a few hacks on my glove after and I stood up toss off my catch grabbed his jersey and fed him my blocker to his throat and face. After about 3 shots my teammate came in and fought him and they both got tossed. He has always played full throttle all game every game.

I don't get penalties very often anymore, cept for like throwing my stick or something because my team is retarded.

In highschool I got a penalty because a dude took a few extra whacks at a covered puck. So I whacked him in the face and he knocked me on my rear end haha. He got a game misconduct and I got a 2 min I think.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

titanium posted:

Well poo poo,

Also found something EXTREMELY lovely out while doing my hockey laundry. I noticed my helmet was missing, then I remembered last wed when pulling my bag out of my car I heard a thud and looked around didnt notice anything. Most of the time I let my poo poo sit around for a bit and I cool off and watch some TV. Later in the night when I put my stuff away I was kinda spaced out and didnt notice anything missing at the time. Sunday i realized that thud was my helmet and it likely rolled out of sight and some dipshit in my not so great neighborhood is probably pawning it or using it as a lamp by now. I had the joy of unsuspectingly having to purchase a new 960 this weekend. I know that artist wont paint my mask again soooo :suicide: .

Ahh lovely man. The 960 is expensive too. That's another thing I need to do is replace my helmet and I'd like to get a 960 but that might have to wait. I'd rather get new leg pads and my helmet (that I've had since I was 12) hasn't completely fallen apart yet.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Is there any significant difference between the 960 vs 950 models? Other than a $300 price difference? Like does one last significantly longer and provide much greater protection or is it just mostly aesthetics?

And yeah I played in the 3v3 once and our team won 19-7 after they stopped trying. Lots of scoring and opportunities for both sides.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Played against Titanium tonight, really solid game and hopefully the video worked this time. One shot broke the buckle on my chest protector though so I might just bite the bullet and get a new one.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

titanium posted:

Yeah any night we can keep it to 2 games its a solid battle, got the best of me on both. I've got a 995/6 chest protector that I used a couple seasons, it has all the options some AHL goalie had put in his if you want to try it out. Another solid performance, caught that finger waving after they scored on me....jerk haha.
Lolz, was a one goal game so I decided it was a good idea to point that out to the camera. Made sense at the time haha. Anyhow it was a competitive and really fun game and it's kinda cool to have a good goalie on the other side to push you to play your best. Not to mention the quality of players there. It's weird, I'll let in 9 goals against some scrubs in AHA and then do pretty well in one of these skates. In some ways the quality of play being better helps me because I'm used to shots rising due to being fast rather than curving downward because they're so slow. Just much more natural to save those shots imo.

I did let in some dumb five hole and short side goals though haha.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

I played pretty mediocre Monday and Tuesday and played well today. Monday was just a pickup game with a bunch of scrubs. One of those games where it starts off decently enough and just goes to poo poo about 2/3 into it. Thing is, pickup games are fun when it's actually played like hockey. The problem is when all these people who really aren't that good think they're too good to try and then the game just sorta drags down more and more and more. Gets to the point where instead of doing things like shooting from the point or taking a good shot they just wait until they have the backdoor pass and put it in. That and my teammates tipped a few in on me which pissed me off. I was also annoyed because this was the "elite session" and the other goalie clearly never played at an even remotely high level based on his technique. This wouldn't be so bad if there were more than 2 elite sessions every week and they weren't all booked for the next 4 weeks.

Tuesday... well I posted about it on another forum so I'll just copy and paste:

quote:

So I decided to be the ringer goalie for a team I've never played for before. It became very apparent as to why, their goalie must have committed suicide due to the team being extremely terrible.

It was bad enough that this team literally had no breakout plan and would get trapped in their zone for 5 minutes at a crack. It was bad enough that they literally tipped no less than 3 pucks in on me and literally stood and watched as the other team got the rebound or the backdoor pass kill. The worst part of the game was that the one dude on the other team (that is up by like 11 at this point) who was butthurt about something or other decides to skate all the way to the other end of the ice and try to hit one of our players. Our guy sees it coming and lays a shoulder into him knocking him into the boards. At which point he tries to start a fight then, and then AFTER the handshake line. Which almost got me involved in a fight (I asked the dude if he played for the UND Sioux since they have a history of doing bush league poo poo like starting handshake line fights) while playing for a team that is horrible and I couldn't care less about and will never play for again.

Today was fine, game was casual due to not many subs available but I played pretty well and had a lot of fun.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Aniki posted:

I want to the demo session tonight. I got to try out CCM pads, a CCM blocker, and Brians G-Netik pads. I tried on SR CCM pads, since that's what they had in my size. I wasn't impressed by the build quality, the materials seemed cheap, the leather straps were stiff and almost felt crispy if that made sense, and I didn't like the thigh boards. That being said, they gave you the option to run the velcro knee stap across your knee or down towards your calf, I did the latter and I really liked that setup. Once I was on the ice, the pads were perfectly fine. I'm not sure how they'd hold up over heavy use, but at least in terms of performance I don't think they would hold anyone back.

That's unfortunate. I was kinda hoping the whole "made in China" thing wouldn't be a huge deal and from what I understood the production was done over there but the materials were domestic. I assume they were the Extreme Flex Pro?

I was kinda thinking about getting those at some point but I'll be a little more cautious about it now. Obviously I should try on a variety of pads anyhow when I do go shopping anyhow but I'll keep that in mind.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

parsleyc posted:

I've got a set of E-Flexs Pros if you have any questions.

Quality is pretty good. I can spot some small superficial errors but nothing that would affect durability or play.

Nice man. Kinda trying to save money before I pull the trigger and get those but I'll keep that in mind.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

So I'm planning on buying some new goalie gear soon. Money really isn't an issue since I've been saving up and expect that the leg pads I buy will last for the foreseeable future. I just wonder what advice you guys have for buying pads other than trying different types on and seeing what I like. I think my plan is to bring my pants and skates as if I was dressing to play and then try on different pads with different pad breaks, sizes, and other options (knee cradle, toe arrangement etc). I'm mostly intrigued by the CCM Extreme Pro Flex and the Vaughn 7800 but I might also try the Warrior Ritual and maybe one or two others.

Also going to buy a helmet and 2 sticks will should probably be more straight forward. Only question about Helmets is buying certified vs non-certified. Would any of you buy a non-certified mask? It looks like they allow for better vision but I currently have a mask with the Straight up and down cage and it's never bothered me.

So yeah any advice would be appreciated. And if anyone has the pads above let me know how you like them because that would be helpful as well.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Aniki posted:

Bring your skate, pants, and any knee protection you wear, since that will impact which pad size will be right for you. I tried the CCM Extreme Pro Flex pads, they were alright, but I wasn't immediately blown away by them. I could just be used to a different style of pad though. They do have a recessed knee channel option that looked interesting, which wasn't on the pads that I tried. I do really like the CCM glove and blocker. I have the blocker and like it a lot and I would have ordered the glove had I not already ordered a new trapper. The 7800 is a softer pad, so if you like the feel of that type of pad, then it would be a good option. The pad that I really like is the G-Netik. I felt very comfortable in the pad, the smart strap system is nice, the pads did a good job of directing rebounds to the corner, and they performed well in the short time that I got to try them. I keep toying with ordering the pads, but I'm trying to hold off a few more months before I do that.

As for the cage. A non-certified cage like a cateye is fine, but if you are comfortable playing with a traditional cage, then it probably makes sense to use that. That being said, I went halfway and got a cheater cage, which is sort of like a regular cage but with bigger gaps. It is similar to the cage that Tim Thomas wore. I really like that cage and I know that some companies are offering it.

Gotcha, thanks for the advice. My current pads are a very worn down version of these: http://www.cyclonetaylor.com/goalie/legpads/gpdvaughnvpg3700sr.html

So at this point just about anything is better since the ones I have now are about ten years old. I guess I'll just try stuff on and see what I like. Also I'll probably try on different sizes since the ones I have now are like 33 I think, but seems like everyones nowadays wears pads that are like 3 inches bigger even though they're about as tall as me (guessing it's due to the thigh rise being taller).

And yeah regular cage is fine, was just thinking about maybe doing something different.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

I got a bunch of dumb questions as far as figuring out what pad break I should get. After trying on pads at the store I figured out more or less what I want as far as which pad and what options I want for the most part. Basically I'm thinking of getting the CCM Extreme Flex Pro after trying on those, Warrior Ritual (single Break) and the Vaughn 7800 (double break). Obviously all are really solid pads imo but I like the idea of the CCM's since there are no outer bindings and they're soft like the 7800.

My biggest question at the moment is whether I should get a single break or double break for the leg pads. I think my biggest problem is that at the store you can't really try on single break pads that are broken in and so double break seems more natural initially just due to it being softer and more flexible from the get go. But over time I'm wondering if that would also be the case with single break pads once they're broken in and more flexible. I know it depends on how wide your butterfly is but I'm not entirely sure if mine would be considered wide or narrow. Here's a vid of me playing against Titanium if it helps you figure out whether my butterfly is narrow or wide. I'm the one in gray that plays for the first few minutes of the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUbGm0oDW_4

So yeah any advice would be good. Is there any disadvantage to getting double break pads? Does it in any way hinder your ability to do certain things? I just get the idea that they're for "noobs" and inflexible older goalies but that may very well be an unfair characterization (Though there might be a few NHL goalies that have double break).

In the end I just want a pad that's good for closing my five hole and I know I'm going to need to adjust to them anyhow. My current pads are 33 inch Vaughn Visions (I think I posted a link a few posts back) that were made before the thigh rise was invented so no matter what break I get I'm going to have to transition to a new style of pads. I know people will probably suggest that I go try on more pads at the store but I'm not entirely sure if that will help me due to what I stated above: in store pads are obviously very stiff and need to be broken in before you get a true feel for them. I look at someone like Carey Price or and he has a single break but it looks like the top of the pads are pretty well curved.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Thanks for your help Aniki. I'm thinking I'll do double break since I can't really think of any downside to doing that. I'm used to softer pads so that should probably be fine. And yeah when I tried the 1 inch thigh board it fit perfectly, 2 inches was a little too big.

Stauber's might not be a bad idea though before I pull the trigger, glad you mentioned that. It costs $75 (goes toward the pads if you buy there but I have a platinum account at Total Hockey) but that's money well spent imo.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

nahanahs posted:

Trip report: I hate them :smith:

You have to be a chest protector tucker with these, which I am not. It put me in a really uncomfortable position that threw my entire game off. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if I could get used to them, but it's just too different and I'm not really interested in changing the way I play.

So.. Anyone want them? They're large size. $180 shipped in the US

Is there any reason you can't just tuck the chest protector? I never do either but I currently have regular skater pants.

I might be interested actually since I need goalie pants and I'm assuming your price is cheaper than retail. I have the warrior chest protector so I imagine they'd work well together.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

nahanahs posted:

It's definitely cheaper then retail. I got them on sale for $200. I figure $20+shipping is something I can eat to learn my lesson.

They're excellent pants. Very well designed, cool features, and yes, designed to work together with the other Warrior equipment. The inner belt system is awesome. My issue with them is that I'm uncomfortable tucking my c/a into pants and it changed the way I had to play. I forced my c/a into a weird, uncomfortable position that I wasn't at all used to and, rather than something I could get used to, I just really, really hated the feeling. All my issues with them are my own.

If you're interested in them, let me know and we can work something out.

I PMed you, definitely interested let me know.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Bradf0rd posted:

Dear Lord those are some huge thigh-rises on that goalie in the video.

I was amazed when I found out Carey Price has the same size leg pads as me with a 3.5 inch thigh rise. I'm prob gonna do 1.5 and 2 is almost pushing it.

LumpyGumby posted:

My friends and I just started to mess around in hockey, nothing too serious, and I've been goaltender a few times, and it turns out I really, really like it. Once you actually learn the basics to stopping a puck it gets a ton easier. There was a small, dumb moment of pride when I stopped a wrister under my pands just in time to stop it from going in.

Are there any good sites for real beginners, as in, the kind who've no idea what they're doing? I only learned I should point my feet inwards last week. I checked the OP but it didn't have a ton of info for newbies like me.

I learned most of what I learned by going to Bill Howard's goalie camp. He coached the Wisconsin Badgers and pros like Mike Richter and Curtis Joseph. His tapes are pricey but were very helpful in sort of making goaltending into a science and almost second nature.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 30, 2013

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Anyone know if there's any significant difference for toe arrangements of the CCM pads? Basically you can do the Jen Pro or a Leather Bridge with lacing. I believe the Jen Pro is this:

I'm guessing the alternative arrangement is the lace being just attached to the bottom of the pad.

Just wondering if there's some reasoning behind either of these arrangements or if it's gonna make a big difference either way?

Ideally I would've done the sliding toe but that's not an option.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 2, 2013

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

I think the only penalties I got last season were for throwing my stick out of anger. My team was just awful last year and sometimes the frustration would surface for all to see. I think the most frustrating goal by far was the triple rebound save goal where they scored on the fourth shot (initial shot from the slot I think) because my D refused to take the body. I don't think I even threw my stick for that one.

For the most part I tried to just use this forum to vent and not take my anger out on them though so that was helfpul. They were a nice group of guys and we ended up getting food and beer the last game of the year so it wasn't all bad.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

So Nanahaha's sold me his pants and they work very well. Takes a little while to get used to tucking the chest protector but I like it more I think. Only problem is my current pads have no thigh rise so it's awkward at times because my pads can get stuck under my pants. I ordered new ones though so this shouldn't be as much of a problem in the near future.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

nahanahs posted:

I just sold an old glove and blocker the other day and completely forgot about the pants. I actually thought, "pants? what the hell's wrong with this guy?" Losing your mind sucks.

I'm really glad you like them. I could tell they were great pants, but that they just didn't work for me. I think I'm at a point where I don't want to change things anymore. I just want to keep playing the way I know. I'm still struggling to get a handle on the Ritual pads.

How weird is that feeling with the internal belt system? It's like, they're snug and fit, but then the outside feels like you're not even wearing them.

Yeah it is strange, I was used to player pants though so I knew there would be an adjustment.

I've recently changed my chest protector, pants, helmet and stick and have been doing decent enough. Will get new pads in like 5 weeks.

edit: they're Warrior Ritual pants.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Same. I just sort of changed everything at once and it didn't have a drastic effect on my game. But not everyone can do that, especially at a very mental position like goaltender.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

I emailed the team I played for last year and told them I'm not playing for them. They were a nice group of guys but beyond frustrating to play with. I later learned that they were a .500 C1 team that lost their two best players and then were moved up to B3 (to get smoked by teams that aren't that talented). Sorry but I don't feel like paying $400 to do that again. Not to mention the league is just promoting a bunch of C1 teams to B3 like they do every year... -_-

Fortunately there are other leagues around here that can use goalies.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 17, 2013

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Got the new pads! First time using different pads in ten years, and the old ones had no thigh rise and would literally get stuck under my pants. Add a 1.5 inch thigh rise so that the pads are now in the middle of my pants, and you can imagine how awkward my first game was. Let in some really stupid goals but I can tell that these pads will suit me well in a few months. I can slide almost twice as fast and since they're better made, they're not going to soak up a bunch of water and get heavier as the game goes on.

I let in some really awkward goals but that's to be expected. I also made a really nice save on the one. I did the Carey Price one knee down and the other against the post, and I slid all the way across and snatched a back door one timer with my glove. I was really surprised that I caught it clean actually. That's the huge advantage with these pads, they slide really easily and I almost find myself overmoving. Anyhow I'll just try and have fun with it and eventually get used to these things.

I'll try to remember to post a pic in the near future.

I also thought about getting a new glove and blocker but these pads are already gonna be enough to learn, I don't need to add any new foreign equipment.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Aniki posted:

I followed my shutout on Sunday with two losses where I got shelled in each game. It's really frustrating and I know that I just need to stay patient, not put too much pressure on myself, and just work on correcting the mistakes that I'm noticing. To be fair, there have been some defensive issues that have exacerbated the situation, but I just feel like I haven't been making plays that I normally would.

The technical problems that I've noticed is that I'm not doing a good job of keeping my knees together when I butterfly, which leaves a big 5-hole open even if my stick is in position. I've reverted to sliding horizontally across the crease instead of to the post and I'm not doing a great job of closing my 5-hole as I slide. I'm selling out to make saves and putting myself out of position to play the rebound. Some of that is necessary, but there are definitely plays where I could have made the save in a more controlled manner and either controlled the rebound or been in position to play the rebound. I'm going to get some footage of myself this weekend and see if I can correct some of those issues and if I don't snap out of my slump soon, then I'll probably need to give in and get a lesson to try and reset myself. I had a one game reprieve from my struggles with the shutout on Sunday and it's frustrating to go back to struggling when I know that I'm capable of playing much better than I have been.

Yeah I've been playing like MAF lately... not good. I think part of it is that I knew I was getting new pads and my game was going to have to totally change anyhow, so I sorta just hosed around a lot. My focus has been really awful. Even in the one game where I played with this team that just straight up dominated, I still let in four goals haha.

edit: DERP! sorry for the double post

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

New pads are awkward.

I played last night and we lost 5-4 because I let in 3 lovely goals. The last was by far the worst, shot from the blue line that I inexplicably didn't save.

One thing I could use some advice on, is there a good way to cover a puck when somebody shoots it from the goal line, your skate is on the post and the puck is on your skate (let me know if that doesn't make sense)? It's one of those situations where you don't want to move and put the puck in on yourself while trying to cover it, but if you don't cover it they're just going to score eventually. This was how the third goal went in and definitely one that I'd consider a lovely goal. I was doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNrI4VfNnpE but I'm guessing I should have just went paddle down considering how close the puck was at the time.

• Locked thread