Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft
Here's a question:

A friend of mine recently asked me to play goalie this summer in a roller hockey league with him. Only one problem: I've only played goalie in floor hockey league i played in grade school and in pickup games at the park where i didn't skate. I have only skated a handful of times in my life. How impossible of a task is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Just curious as i'm looking for pads, but what is the proper way to measure yourself for pads? I came up with 32-34" and I'm 6'3". Is this normal?

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

How good of gear do you really need to start off playing roller hockey? My friends play with a hard puck, and i pretty much bought some of the cheapest stuff i could find at discounthockey.com just so i could have gear to play (with the exception of a mask, I'm buying the standard Itech ice mask). My friends say i should be ok so i went with it, but i'm kinda thinking maybe i should have bought better stuff?

I plan on playing ice eventually, but i know i will need to replace pretty much everything but my mask, but i should be cool for roller right?

http://www.discounthockey.com/itghp48segop.html
http://www.discounthockey.com/tour304goalc.html

Tour GTL Leg Pads
Tour Blocker
Mylec Street Hockey Glove

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

If anyone is free on AIM right now, I'm about to order some gear and could use some help making sure I'm looking at decent stuff or could use suggestions. Thanks!

AIM: Saxykinda

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Thanks for the help Tim and Marty. Here is my new order.

http://goaliemonkey.com/itech-goalie-pants-hp48srd.html
http://goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-goalie-chest-protector-vp3750-sr.html

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

So yeah... How do you actually "butterfly"? I can get one pad to turn out, but the other kinda just goes face-down. In our pickup game today I let 5 goals in... all 5 hole.

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Anyone have any experience with Nike Bauer Vapor X gear? Goaliemonkey is closing it out and not surprisingly, my blocker is calling apart as we speak so i was thinking of picking up the combo leg pads/trapper/blocker dealie for $225 + shipping.

EDIT: Also, since playing I've gotten a lot better at stopping 5-hole goals, but now my new thing is stopping with the paddle of my stick and the drat puck just rolling up my stick and in. God i hate roller pucks, it even worse when they just knuckle and drop out of nowhere, luckily that only happens with the lovely light "pracitce" pucks and not the ones we play games with.

fenix424 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 21, 2008

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

So after not playing for 2 weeks due to a bacterial infection, i played my first game last night and was flat out out of my mind. Too bad we lost after i wanted to quit due to my stomach not wanting to play anymore and i gave up a garbage goal on a one timer i probably could have stopped the way i was playing that night, but I lost 18 pounds during a 4 day stretch with this infection and played with no food in my stomach. I feel great today though! :D

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

What do you think a realistic time-frame is for someone who has never skated before to average beer-league goalie would be? I guess i need to know how long its going to take me to not be worthless on skates :smith:

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Whats the point of the notched stick?

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Martytoof posted:

It lets my hand rest on the stick much more naturally. Helps with hand fatigue bigtime in my case.

Hmm, i just always held all 4 fingers up high and my hand gets super tired. Maybe I'll try this with my old Sherwood after i buy my new one and see how it feels.

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Does anyone else not lace their Tour Redlines all the way to the top or am i the only one who is uncomfortable with them laced that high?

EDIT: BTW, these are my first skates ever and have only been skating a few months so I guess what I'm asking is not lacing them to the top hindering anything? I feel real uncomfortable with them laced to the top so i just leave the top undone.

fenix424 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 24, 2009

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

The group of guys I play with has a problem. We have three goalies out of eleven guys. We rented out the inline rink the other day and I had to skate out using someone else's skating gear and my goalie skates. After my stellar performance (yeah right), I was invited to play in my friend's Thursday night league to play forward and backup goalie since their regular guy might miss a game or two this session. So now I have to go buy some player gear. There goes my Christmas money. And I might need to learn to skate backwards a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

After a session of playing forward on an inline hockey team, my friend wants to start another team on a different night and wants me to play net. I'm kind of nervous and I guess I'm trying to figure out what I should expect in my first session ever in net. (and my second session of hockey ever) I just don't want to let my team down and be the single reason we lose games. :ohdear:

• Locked thread