Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Evening, goaltenders. You can add on another ice hockey goalie to your list if you're making one. I've been reading through this thread and decided to give my local 6 AM shinny hockey a shot. So, I woke up this morning psyched to get on the ice for the first time in almost a week and hoping that there'd be fairly high caliber shooters willing to have a goalie come for them to shoot on (and even pay for me if I couldn't get in for free :haw: ). I get to the rink and see a goalie walking in so I think, 'ok maybe he's the only one and we can have a full ice game.' I talk to him and he tells me that they're actually organized and have 2 goalies ready for this morning, so I gave him my email address and went the 20 minutes back home and right back to bed without even getting on the ice. :(

On the plus side, if I ever get an email back from him and get in I'll at least know that there's plenty of players that show up, although I didn't end up checking to see how good they were; I already left when I thought that I should have stuck around to see.

Also, if anyone lives near the NY/CT border near i95 I may have an opportunity for you in the fall if you're reliable since I'm leaving the area. :3:

Last thing, how often do any of you get your gear cleaned, if at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gco
May 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

Does anyone here do any sort of pylometric routine, if so, what sort of jumps should I start working on? I'm currently just sticking to the basic vertical jump where you start down in a squatting position with your hands on the ground and then explode up and raise my arms into the air. However, I'm not too sure where to go from there.

I've been looking into plyometrics recently but haven't really built up a routine yet. Squat jumps are one of them, and can also be done while holding weights and it's called 'cleans'. I've read that lunges and side lunges are considered plyos, though I don't see the power in them unless they're lunge jumps. Frog jumps, seated twist, and 'burpees' are also good plyometric exercises, though I have yet to work burpees into my routine yet; I haven't done them since the 5th grade, so I have to remember how to not slaughter my wrists whilst performing them. Also, a lot of the plyos I've youtube'd include medicine balls and boxes to hop over, neither of which my school's gym have (weights and cardio weights and cardio, that's all we have, that's all we need! weights and cardio!).

gco
May 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Yeah. I actually went to the Thursday night scrubfest and found that a bunch of the good guys from Tuesday are going to be there as well, but I've got stuck on their team so I think I took pretty much all of five shots all night. The worst part? Two went in. One was the spitting image of the Toskala bounce-puck goal. I was pretty mortified.

But it's hard to get into a groove when you've got guys shutting down scrubs before they can even make it into your zone :(

So I'm probably going to just go Fridays to the pickup.

Don't worry, you're precisely on par with Budaj's first period last night.
:iceburn:
(on Budaj, not you :))

gco
May 8, 2007

Joey Walnuts posted:

Literally 8 seconds away from a shutout tonight. Breakaway. Goal. At least we won. Sure did want that shutout though.

Also, if anyone wants it, I've got this Itech Prodigy chest protector that you can have if you pay shipping. I used it for about 8 months and it's still in decent shape.

Is that a pro or senior?

gco
May 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

My C/A is apparently meant for small children :lol:

But I love it anyway. McKenney 4 EVA :whatup:

C/A? Chest/Arm...?

gco
May 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Yeah. When I think about the fact that I'm 190 again, I realize that I'm basically on the ice with the equivalent of a small dog strapped to my chest. Time to hit the gym :suicide:

How tall are you? I personally have actually been trying to gain weight... and height... I've gained 30 lbs over the past year but it's been from working out and I don't look any more different than I did before I started going to the gym except biceps 2x the size they used to be and more tree trunk-esque legs, as a hockey player should have. Last year I was 5'8 115 and now I'm up to 5'9.5 145. Maybe I'm still growing, or maybe these stretches are actually working and my spine is getting longer. It'll be a wonderful day if I ever reach 6'1 and cover the top corners of the net with my shoulders while in stance. Until then, I have to actually try and make those saves.

gco
May 8, 2007

Moe_Rahn posted:

Manny Legace is basically a midget and he is a pretty good goalie, so don't feel bad.

okay he's like 5'9 and 160 or something but based on the cursory research I've done that's definitely on the small side for a goalie (a few others I just looked up because they were the goalies that I thought of off the top of my head [all stats taken from espn]: Luongo - 6'3 205; Toskala - 5'10 195; Osgood - 5'10 181; Nabokov - 6' 200)

Yeah, he's my motivation. Well, not really because I usually find myself saying, 'well at least I'm taller than Manny Legace.'
I just had camp with Steve Valiquette over the summer and my god he is a giant. At 6'6, he's the tallest goalie to ever play in the NHL, his head soared above everyone else's at the camp, including all the adult shooters. I wouldn't mind being that tall, it's just that around 6'3, anything higher becomes pretty much irrelevant unless you want to wear 37+1s or 38s and brag about how it actually fits on you.
After seeing Valiquette, I'm deathly afraid of ever being on the same ice as Chara.

gco
May 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

We should all just pool money and get Dave Wells or someone to come do a SAS Goalie Clinic. He does clinics in Toronto all the time.

I would love to do this, anything to get out of the states and back to Toronto; I love that city. Any time during winter break for many colleges would be glorious.

gco
May 8, 2007

Yep, no matter how much you spend on equipment you're still going to get stingers. The puck always finds those soft spots with the least protection. It sucks but you just have to not flinch and you get used to it. Plus, the bruises are a cool souvenir for show. :cool:

gco
May 8, 2007

Well I just got back from a PERFECT WEEKEND ON THE ICE.
GAA: 0.00

SA%: .000

Ok, I went to public skate in full gear to work on some moves since I hadn't been on the ice in a month.
All I learned is that my skates are in desperate need of sharpening and kids like to gawk at the only person over 3 feet tall that's wearing hockey equipment on the ice at a PUBLIC loving SKATE.

I miss youth hockey where everyone is guaranteed a spot. At least I have a few mid-tier men's league teams that want me once I'm out of this hellhole (read: college with no hockey for me) in December. My goal currently is to sneak onto a junior team next year, doesn't matter where it is. Anyone out here played juniors and can give their take on getting noticed and onto a team? I never played high school, all youth, but I was never informed about junior hockey until it was too late. :(

gco
May 8, 2007

Polish posted:

The pants are inline player pants.. so they work great, are light, and breathe well.. but yeah I have taken a few nice hits to the inner thigh. But I am not too worried about those. The C/A I picked up the cheapest one I could find, and while is does great on my chest, the arms are very lacking. They protect the inside of my arms well, but the outside there is just a crappy elbow pad, which slips. Lost a game a few weeks ago because a slap-shot got through right to my elbow, stick arm went dead.

Anywho.. I'm not too worried about it, but I am definatly going to invest in a new C/A soon. Buddy of mine wants to start playing so I can just sell him my old gear for cheap.

Just wait till you get hit by a rising star's 85-90 mph slapshot to the shoulder. You'll change that getting 'new C/A soon' to getting 'new C/A immediately'.

gco
May 8, 2007

Joey Walnuts posted:

That reminds me. At pickup today, someone took a slapshot from no more than 10 feet away at the other goalie. Split his throat guard (hanger) in half and smacked him square in the collar bone. He crumpled. Nothing got broken, but I can't imagine the pain he would be in right now if that throat guard wasn't there to take most of the impact.

I started wearing a neckguard after I got hit in the throat with a wrister. Luckily I was only in squirts at the time but it was an inch away from my windpipe. I didn't start wearing the hanging dealie until I was told it's kinda required but not really enforced in the league I played with last spring.

Aniki posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is the hardest shot that everyone's faced here and what type of injuries have you received from the puck? Did it cause you to replace/upgrade any of your gear or did you chalk it up to a fluke shot?

As far as slapshots go, I've gotten 2 bad ones as of late. 1 from my coach bruised my left shoulder for 2 months, turning all colors except purple (yes, it was even green and yellow for a stint) made me shell out $400 to get a new chest protector and another went right to my cage actually bending the framework. I had to get pliers to fix that thing up, although I should get a new helmet soon as this is only my second mask in the 14 years I've been playing, had this one for 4 or so. So to answer your second question, you can never be too safe as you rise through the ranks and get hit with tougher and tougher shots, so I try to stay as updated as possible. It may take a lot of money, but I don't want to know how much the medical bill would be if they had to pull a puck out of my skull lodged 3 inches in.

gco
May 8, 2007

So during December break I'm going to ask if I can skate up for my old senior minor league because no one would know the difference, because I'm not stellar when it comes to beyond the crease. Anyway, I was thinking about situations I would be in as maybe a defenseman and how I would want my defensemen to react if I were in goal. Follow?
So a really good player breaks through into the neutral zone past me being a defenseman. In this situation, I would probably want to have the defense trip the guy up and be down a man than to have to take the breakaway. Certainly it depends on the player, but I was the best goalie in the league last year and they haven't gotten any new ones (goalies have to play on more than one team now and switch up) and I had trouble with some of the players.
So, anyone who considered this situation before, either last man back or goalie, what would you rather: breakaway or penalty kill? Keep in mind that that the defenseman already did everything in his power to prevent both and now has to decide to let the guy skate in or shove that stick between his feet.

gco
May 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

So I, uh, got a little upset at the game last night and smashed my stick against the crossbar.

Since I'm down to one stick now, I'm kind of thinking of taking my autographed Lalime stick and just taping it up to use in game. It's not like it'll ever be worth any money and it's a pretty good stick :unsmith:

I haven't done that for about 3 years, which I am drat proud of, because really, it doesn't help anyone in the endgame. You're down a stick and your opponents realize you're weak so they're going to step it up a notch. Just to piss you off. Once I realized that looking like I'm really mad didn't stop the relentless assault, I've played it cool and respectable.

On the note of playing it cool, never play it so cool in a game that you do a half-assed job. I learned this in spring league this past year. It was the semi-finals and we had to win 1 game to get into the finals. The ice was especially horrible that night (if you ever go to Connecticut, don't skate in Darien) and was sopping wet the entire first period. Naturally, I get all of my equipment wet. When I go paddle down, my blocker gets soaked, so I try to dry my hand off on my jersey but my jersey's wet too. That's how wet it was. Anyway, it got me irritated. Not furious, but irritated enough to let a few slip by me that I know I could have stopped.

Anyway, by the end of the first, we were down 7-2. I'm thinking we have no chance, so I don't make the dives that would be game-savers had the game been actually close. Little did I know, had I made those saves, they would have been game-savers. The end of the second had us down by 4 at 9-5 and the team suddenly picked it up in the third. We ended up getting 3 shorthanded goals (we were playing the Rangers, FYI {kidding}) and come within inches of a great comeback. The final score was 12-11.

I know if the team had stepped it up earlier in the game, the outcome would have been a lot better, but as a team, everyone has to play their part and in the first, I didn't exactly play mine in addition to them, so there's my long rear end story derived from Toof breaking his stick.

gco
May 8, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Ain't that the loving truth. I bought my skates at Blueline Pro Shop but only skated there once because it SUCKED. I prefer Stamford Twin Rinks, since I live in Norwalk. The extra drive's absolutely worth it.

Any chance you're going to shinny every loving day it's available for the next month at STR? I'm in Norwalk too and I might not have as many rides as I'm hoping to get and I don't know if I'm going to be getting my license once school's out.

Martytoof posted:

I've been working on my glove hand a LOT lately, and have the same problem, though it doesn't appear to be the same issue. My problem seems like I *ALWAYS* place my glove out far enough that the puck hits my wrist block and bounces out.

Ever tried slabbing your equipment with glue? It's what the pros do. :haw:

gco
May 8, 2007

Well, the winter break had some success, I got to play a little bit of shinny and I rearranged my schedule so I could be home on Thursday night to play every week now, so I can at least get one ice time in, maybe two if I can get out to early morning shinny on Friday.

Chemmy posted:

STR goons itt. I don't play pickup because it's too early in the morning. What level do you play at?

I play at any level anyone will give me. I actually do better when the level is higher because the defense knows what they're doing and will listen to you. Shinny and the like is pretty much my only resort right now and I'm trying to keep my focus so I started counting shots and averaging my SA%. My shinny SA% for the past 5 times I've gone is .881, which is respectable when you consider on numerous occasions I've had less than 3 hours of sleep going into it and that some of the ones I've gone to are at 6 in the morning. In the two times I've played with my old senior major team I've gotten .900 total even. Also considering it's my only ice time per week and it's just scrimmage so no one really plays defense and always leaves me hanging out to dry.

gco
May 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I love playing shinny because it gives me a chance to try things I normally wouldn't experiment with during an actual game. I am trying to work real hard on my puckhandling, but there are a good two or three times a game that I will make boneheaded passes up the boards or right past my intended target and onto the other team's stick.

My favourite is when I am behind the net and try to sail it out past the blue line only to have someone slap it down out of thin air and pass it to the slot while I make a mad dash for the net. That never works out for me :haw:

I've gotten really good at puckhandling over the past few weeks because I stay on the ice after everyone leaves to go to work. I just line up the pucks that no one claimed and fire them at the net. At the hash marks I can sail the puck pretty hard over the net but I can't master the switch glove hand thing that a lot of NHL goalies can do. It may be because I have a wood stick (gently caress if I'm paying $200+ for a god drat stick) and it won't flex, but I can do the backhand reverse glove hand just fine. Just goes to show you that even if you're a goalie and the only one on the ice you can still improve your game.
Also, I just got a refund check in from college for nearly $2000, can someone say new pro level helmet, glove, blocker, and pads? gently caress using that money for books, it's my god drat money and I've had my helmet for 4-5 years and 80+mph slapshots to the head are starting to cell my brain kills.

gco
May 8, 2007

Space Cadet posted:

TPS R4s

I have the R8s and they have the same graphic, so it could have been that as well. Anyway, you can probably get away with having senior pads in a good level game, it's the senior level everything else you have to worry about, specifically glove and chest.

gco
May 8, 2007

Yep, I do too. My logic is I'm going to end up paying $200 for a composite stick then find out a short time down the road that there's a new and improved one. With wood, they break eventually then you buy a brand new one.

The only difference I've found (although I've never used composite besides feeling it up in the pro shop [yeah, you heard me]) is it's lighter and you might get a good flex for shooting, which is probably what the NHLers rely on when they turn their glove hand the other way as if they're doing a backhand shot but go forehand for more power.

gco
May 8, 2007

OK, so I need some opinions from people that have bought equipment online, and some expertise in a variety of different kinds of pads.

Right now I'm looking into the company Eagle, as they have a 1/2 price sale right now on Goalie Monkey. I'm looking to get:
http://goaliemonkey.com/eagle-goalie-leg-pads-sentry-3-hybrid-11in.html
http://goaliemonkey.com/eagle-goalie-blocker-sentry2-pro-nhl-rvstk.html
http://goaliemonkey.com/eagle-goalie-glove-sentry2-pro.html

Anyway, the Sentry 3 pads look absolutely amazing for $700 and are indeed labeled pro. The only reason I'm going with the Sentry 2 glove and blocker is because the 3's aren't in any color that matches the Sentry 3 pads [I'm going for all black/grey/white look so whatever team I happen upon, I don't end up looking terribly mismatched. Last year I was on an orange team, I got $1100 orange pads, my R8's that WON'T loving CURVE even with bungee cords on them forever and ended up getting traded to a teal team (think imitation Sharks jersey)]. Well, enough of that incessant rambling...

However, the glove and blocker Sentry 2 are also labeled pro, is this just because they're the older model like TPS R8 is pro even though now they have the R10s? It's probably a stupid question but I don't want to end up with R4 quality 'senior' equipment as I'm trying to get rid of all my senior stuff as I'm hoping to do everything I can to get onto a competitive travel team.

Also, do you people that buy online try them on in the store first then just go about saying, 'oh, I'm just browsing to see how it feels'? I'm saying this because I know a lot of places get pissed if you try on their stuff to see how it feels then buy it cheaper online. I'm just skeptical as all the Eagle poo poo is in the online bargain bin and I'm just wondering if it's the same bad quality I heard the Vapor XXX goalie equipment was.

Thanks in advance for any help :) and if I have to rephrase anything, just say so, as I jumped around a lot typing in extra things here and there and it's late and looks OK after I reread it.

gco
May 8, 2007

Polish posted:

But anyways, five hour energy drink.. highly recommended.

I had one of those for the first time last night and they were loving terrible. I think I'll stick to Monster. So anyway, Thursday night I had a Monster before skating up for the first time since I sprained my left ankle for the first time last year. About 4 shifts in I was starting to feel nauseous on top of being incredibly tired. I got off the ice and walked around after taking off the top half of my equipment. I put it back on really loose and it ended up working out OK for the rest of the game, albeit I was exhausted every time I stepped on the ice.

The Monster probably would have worked if I was used to that type of workout, but god, skating up is so much different from the lateral movements of goaltenders. Highlights of the night, though: 3 assists, +2 +/-, 2 shots, and I threw the puck at the goalie once, does that also count as a shot? :3:

On a different note, I've been looking at Eagle equipment and am hoping to go try some on today at one of my local stores, just have to call them to see if anyone has anything left, or even had any of it to begin with. And on the same note of looking at Eagle equipment, who wouldn't want this if it came in senior?:

[alas, it's only on the catalogue as being intermediate; what hockey mom would want to buy you, anyway?]

gco
May 8, 2007

First off, congratulations on this thread being a year old.

Secondly, I went to my local store to try on the Eagle equipment. Needless to say, I probably won't be going for them as the pads seem pretty sloppy (they were an inch too big at the knee on me, but I honestly couldn't picture -1 inch preventing the flopping the pad did) and the glove didn't have the surface area I was looking for. I did some research on some different pieces of equipment and was told their new shipment would be coming in in late March, so there'd be more of a variety and stock white/grey/black (what I'm looking for).

I also looked into helmets and found a nice Hackva for $329. I looked on Monkey and they have the same thing for $300 ($315 with shipping) and one that is texalium for an additional $60. Is the texalium protective at all or is it just for shiny show?

ref:
http://goaliemonkey.com/hackva-goalie-mask-sr.html
http://goaliemonkey.com/hackva-goalie-mask-carbon-sr.html

Also, people that have painted your masks yourselves, how long does it usually end up lasting before it chips/flakes?

gco
May 8, 2007

:siren: Warning: wall of text to follow this warning :siren:

So, lovely morning shinny. Stopped the first 11 shots cold but there were 3 goalies so we switched up. Went back out and just got shat on. There wasn't a single shot that I shouldn't've had. 3 of them went in a far LOW corner that I should have easily grabbed with my toe but they managed to sneak their rubbery asses in. There were several factors that lead to this including little sleep (it totally affects your reaction time), not enough food in belly (as stated by Marty earlier), not playing goalie in a regulation sized rink in a long time (my Thursday night group is in a 'studio' rink but it's not like the nets are smaller) which totally hosed with my angles, skates not being sharpened since 3+ times on the ice ago, and pad adjustments. Despite all this evidence I still find myself guilty of sucking totally hard and it is all my fault.

For the pads, I've been trying for months now to get a good curve going with bungie cords with little success. When I went to my local pro shop, they gave me some thigh rise stiffeners (lost my old ones 'cause I thought they made it so it wouldn't bend) and bent them. Needless to say I was impressed with how my butterfly looked while I was stretching but I think the curve went away shortly thereafter, haven't pulled out the stiffeners and checked yet. While they still had the curved shape, though, in the first half, my feet were killing me. I had to butterfly whenever the puck was out of my zone and I had the feeling that the stiffeners were pushing the pad away from my legs and the pad was basically resting on my foot, weighing it down a good 5 lbs or so. Am I crazy or do I have a decent theory here?

With 6 GA and some mid/high twenties saves (lost count because I was busy yelling obscenities at myself) I was sub-85% for the first time in a long while, which I was hoping to avoid from ever reaching again in a shinny (being my fault) but hey, I did better than Valiquette tonight. Poor guy :(

PS Marty why did you post that at three in the loving morning? You are EST aren't you?

gco
May 8, 2007

Space Cadet posted:

some r12s

um... R10s?

I was not aware there was such thing as R12s yet.

gco
May 8, 2007

I just got a new helmet yesterday :woop:

And yes, I do have a rubber bracelet that says "I am a goalie".

Also, spoke with a helpful guy and tried on some gloves and blockers and I have to say: I am a TPS whore. I tried on all different brands but nothing felt more comfortable than the store's custom TPS R8 glove. It's a double-T pocket with 1 fewer pad on the top of the pocket so it closes practically all the way. He told me only bad things about the R10 glove so buyers beware as I'm told it's really hard to close and it doesn't close all the way and even Lundqvist has lost a puck or two.

However, the R10 blocker is a different story. Good god is it loaded with protection. I fell in love with it after hearing it's only $279 USD. Just to give you an idea: if you turn your hand away from your body, you can use that padding as a blocker in itself. Yeah. That's legal, too.

So I'm almost certain when the new shipments for the store come in in March that I'm going to have a TPS R8 custom glove and R10 blocker. I'm still not sure about pads quite yet, as I didn't try on any yesterday but I had my eye on the R10s, as I've loved my R8s thus far. God damnit I have to at least try to lure myself away from TPS.

gco
May 8, 2007

Tim Thomas posted:

if you aren't using a smith blocker you're just fooling yourself

hope this helps!

I didn't see anything by the name of Smith at the store I tried stuff on at. Also, why are the 5000s so inexpensive on their website?

I might be playing up to 4 times this coming weekend!

Shinny in Rye on Thursday night (though probably skating up :()
Shinny in Stamford on Friday morning (hopefully to try out new helmet)
Practice in Stamford on Saturday morning (with old team that has lazy fucker goalies that never show up to practice; oh well, their loss)
Clinic in Danbury on Saturday night (hope to loving god this isn't booked because it's $25 for an hour with a low level pro team and then watch their game afterwards. good chance to ask them if they have jobs besides hockey which I've been wondering :v:)

gco
May 8, 2007

Tim Thomas posted:

because pete smith is god, more or less

it's all custom order stuff and it's all terrific. my next set of pads, assuming whatever becomes of mission/itech doesn't sponsor me, will be smiths. unfortunately, i don't see that day ever coming, as my itechs are tanks and i absolutely love the pad with all my heart.

the smith blocker is basically a reduced-weight velocity with a slightly smaller glove for guys with weenie hands like mine. it is the tits.

Oh man I'd love to get sponsored... how do you go about pursuing that for future reference? I don't think I'd be a Smith blocker fan as I don't have wimpy hands; my hands have a wingspan from thumb tip to pinky tip of 9.5 inches and height of 7.5 from low palm to middle finger tip. The only person I know with bigger hands than mine are my dad's. His are loving huge. /un-derail about hands and poo poo

Hazed_blue posted:

Man, this season is just going downhill. We were in 2nd place a little before halfway through the season, and we've now dropped 6 games in a row. What's aggravating me are the excuses and whining I'm now hearing. "That team shouldn't be in this league." "They had way better players this time." No, you dorks, it's not them. It's us. You can't drop 5 breakaways on me, endless odd-man rushes, literally take 1 shot for every 4 that they take, and still expect to win.

Part of me just wants to make the extra drive up to the other rink and play in the A-league there, because that would be a lot more fun of a challenge than playing by myself out there. I want a challenge where the team I'm with is at a similar skill level. Being the good goalie who gives a mediocre team a chance is really wearing thin. Ugh.

Are you King Henrik? :crossarms:

gco
May 8, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Ah nice, thanks for the heads up. Where is Wesco? I think I've been to South Windsor. I know some of the close shops to me didn't have much, but I was gonna look for the stores online to see if I could find any info.

Wesco is at 270 Federal Rd. in Brookfield. They're going to be getting new stock in in late March, so that'll be the time to look for stuff they can't sell and can possibly mark down.

I've never been to the South Windsor store. For anyone that's been to both, how do they compare to each other?

gco
May 8, 2007

sba posted:

I love how in French, the initials are the EXACT opposite of the English ones.

gco
May 8, 2007

Gendo posted:

Ask him to explain the following:

Well, then...

Anyway, I got into this low level pro clinic (EPHL, look it up) but they told me to wear skater equipment. What the gently caress is up with that? They're supposed to have players there teaching kids how to play, shouldn't there at least be a goalie there to give some instruction? I'm gonna bring my goalie equipment anyway because I'm such a loving rebel :cool: and I want to break in my new helmet.

gco
May 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Did you, uh, tell them you're a goalie?

I mean, shot in the dark.

Yeah, I did.

gco
May 8, 2007

Mid weekend update because tonight is the middle of my weekend. What? You're just starting yours? Pffft. :colbert:

Last night I skated up I need desperately to work on positioning and not crashing into poo poo.

I had 3 breakaways, every time something ended up in the net, 2x puck and 1x me. I got a hat trick on 5 shots, no assists, and was a -2. I had no idea what position I was playing because the rink's so small. My teammate would end up getting the puck and I'd skate up to take the pass and be on my merry way but I'd be in the neutral zone waiting for the pass and we ended up getting scored on. Several times. Also, my stamina did not improve as much as it did the last time I skated up and I had to take a bathroom break 3/4 of the way through I drank so much water.

This morning I went to shinny and tried on my new mask and got 2 hits on the helmet and 1 on the dangly part, but they weren't all that hard so I couldn't really test its heftiness. I was 45/54 on shots, .833, which I am disappointed with because I let a lot go by that I shouldn't've and my team was passing the puck to the varsity coaches (on the other team) all to often and they walked in alone more than I would've preferred them to but on the (semi)plus side, 4 guys stayed until the Zamboni kicked us off. Usually most people leave at 7:30 but these guys stayed all the way to 8:45. When the ice empties, I just work on my shot and positioning and do suicides, but today I didn't have to! :haw:

Tomorrow I have a practice with my old team in the late morning (I get to sleep in, thank GOD [4 total hours of sleep the past 2 nights {why I did so poorly}]) and the pro clinic in the afternoon. It should be noted, though, that I'm not a teacher at this thing, although I'd love to be, I still don't know everything about hockey, though I'm pretty loving close. :smug:

Crumbleg, full equipment - mask + baseball hat sounds like so much loving fun if you have guys that know how to, and actually do, aim in the lower half of the net.

gco
May 8, 2007

Well, my most productive weekend of the year came to a close. :(

8 hours of ice time cost me 25 bucks, which was just for the clinic anyway (not counting gas)

Went to practice on Saturday morning and stopped 47 of 50 shots in a scrimmage, went to the youth clinic and got the attention of 4 skaters plus the two goaltenders. (they weren't dressed in gear though, obviously) They played rebound with me and I won the first time, then told them to try and they had some nice shots. The game usually goes to 10 but you have to win by 2, and I don't know if they ended up letting me win, but I ended up prevailing 14-12. :cool: They also helped me with wrap-arounds, which was hard without pegs (the goal was in the neutral zone) because the goal went flying everywhere, but it was fun and I enjoyed hanging out with them.

I also managed to play two :siren: official :siren: games, my first in 9 months. The first I ended up getting 5 breakaways on me, 3 of which had top shelf goals, ended up losing 3-2 with 26 shots. The second game went over a lot smoother. 8 skaters and I thought I'd have bad defense. I didn't let in a goal until the 3rd period, after the ref called a very poor penalty (PPG on us) for checking from behind. Fortunately it was the only goal I had against me and I was 25/26 on the night in a 4-1 win.

I might get to play next weekend too and the week after in the championship because the league has to rotate 3 goalies amongst 4 teams. And now they're down to only two since one of them broke his leg or went to London or something.

gco
May 8, 2007

Joey Walnuts posted:

I'm pretty sure that's every league. Seriously, if you just camp out at the rink for the day you will get plenty of teams asking you to sub for their goalie.

It's feast or famine. You never get the amount you want, you either get 2 goalies for 8 teams or 8 goalies for 2 teams. poo poo is never balanced in the goaltending world.

gco
May 8, 2007

Hazed_blue posted:

Is there something that I can do with my release that will keep the puck under better control?

Puck goes from heel to toe before you release it from the stick and you can make it soar like a flying saucer with some good power.

I really have to work on backhanding it, as I can forehand shoot the puck almost all the way down the ice when it's all lovely after an hour of play. What I like to do to train my forehand shot is line 5-6 pucks up in the slot between the hashes and try to sail it clear over the crossbar or hit the middle post mid-high in the net. Also, it never hurts to skate around and stickhandle, stickhandle, stickhandle.

gco
May 8, 2007

Reviving thread from page 3. How am I the first one to say what I've done over the weekend? Is everyone's season coming to a close or already over or what?

Anyway, yesterday I had a terrible night but the game was loving epic. (I probably spoiled it there but I gotta tell you guys so read on if you enjoy a good story) I did time keeping the game before so I was still kinda cold and I let one slip by off a dead angle a minute in. gently caress; at least it wasn't the first shot, though. We get on the board some time later but they get the lead back after a fumble in front of me. I had the puck frozen but it popped out somehow. Sigh, 2-1 after 1. The second was pretty uneventful sans for a few brilliant breakaway stops on my part and my team scoring a PPG late in the period to tie it 2-2 after 2.

I figure I have my head on straight by now and I'll be happy with a tie if I don't let any more goals in, and who knew, maybe we could rally 1 more and win it. Wrong. Early in the 3rd, a shot comes slowly towards my glove and I aim to catch it. It was one of those fluttering ones that couldn't stay airborne so well because it was wobbling so much. It hits my glove and I hope it goes wide. Ding. Ok, maybe it went off the post and wide. Please? Ref's whistle blows. poo poo. I hang my head in shame for about 20 seconds until the puck drops.

Late in the game, we're still down by a goal. 2:31 left, we get a penalty. Oh god, this is all my fault, we're gonna lose. Penalty is 1:30 so as soon as the guy gets out of the box and goes to the bench. It takes the team a few seconds to realize that they need 2 more out on the ice, so they hop out and race after the puck. 40.7 seconds left and Sully gets one top shelf. Hell. Yeah. Things just kept going our way from then on. 18.9 seconds left, the other team gets a double minor and their best d-man ejected for checking from behind and unsportsmanlike. As you can probably guess, Sully wins the draw, skates around everyone and races in alone popping another one top shelf with 11 seconds left in the game. 2 rallies in less than 30 seconds, I felt like the Panthers last week against the Rangers :drat: but I digress.

I would've felt terrible I had personally lost the game for the team. However, that win put them in the championship, although they're probably going to lose because I can't play in goal since I'm not their regular goalie and the other one was pulled up from the lower league just this year.

So, enough of my story, how has everyone else been doing in their playoffs (or if not, off-seasons)?

gco
May 8, 2007

Joey Walnuts posted:

Yep, ended this weekend. Finished up at 89% with 825 shots on goal in 19 games. Our D...it seems to be lacking. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have a kid on the way so it will be my last season for just a bit. Wife frowns upon me coming home at 2:30 in the morning after late games. Hrm.

Oh, and has anyone heard of Greg Adams? I guess he used to play for Vancouver for quite a while. Anyways, he showed up for pickup today in Scottsdale. I think he's about 42 or so years old, but still has a shot like a cannon. Felt like a sledgehammer to the stomach/shoulder on a couple of his slapshots.

Do you do your own stats or do you have the luxury of someone doing it for you? I personally keep my own and do my best to keep the numbers in my head correct, which is kinda distracting, but I only need 1 number, saves, as the GA are on the scoreboard when I'm in a game. This year, which consisted of the last 2 weekends, I was 2-1-0 75/82: .915 with the possibility of me playing in the consolation game. I already inadvertently drove one team into the consolation game by replacing their opponent's bad goalie last week which I kinda feel bad about because the team I played for is now going to get creamed in the final game where there could have been an entertaining match had I lost that game. Life goes on, I don't feel too bad. It's not like it's tremendously important or anything if they let a college goaltender play in a youth league in the first place.

gco
May 8, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

For only the third time in my career, tonight I took one to the balls. Was a snapper from about 10-15 feet out. I went down a little too early, and left myself open. Luckily, for the third time, it was right towards the end of the period, and I was able to fight it off at the end of the period, and was good to go by the third.

Which segways into...I had a shutout tonight with less than 2 minutes left to go in the game. We gave up a PP and a shot from the point ended up getting banged around to an open guy on one side to put away. I was so sad. The guy who took the penalty apologized like 3 times, but hey, we got the win, so thats good. Plus the 1 GA lowered my GAA by a full goal (last week raised it by a goal though!). I only took 18 shots in the win though, for a team which plays almost no defense (which we really don't), it was amazing this team only got 18 shots on goal. They weren't all that great, but I've been facing 25+ shots a game the first 3 I played.

drat, I hate that. The past few seasons, every time I'm on the way towards a shutout I let one slip in late in the 3rd. My last shutout was a 10-0 rout of the first game of the 07-08 season, needless to say, the teams got balanced after that, meaning I moved to the team we just clobbered.

Whenever I find myself with a 1 GA game, I look back and it's always in the first period or third period when I get the goal against me. When it's the first period, I must get a little nervous or twitchy or something and after that goal gets in I get settled a bit and stay solid the rest of the game. When my only GA is in the third, before it, I keep jinxing myself with shutout, shutout, shutout and get twitchy again.

It's almost always happened that way, even when I was a kid playing travel. One tournament we played a team from Massachusetts and scored 5 seconds into the game and ended up winning 12-1.

I thrive to achieve shutouts but naturally always come out short, gently caress jinxing. This season in the miraculous 4 games I played, I had 2 games with 1 GA, one in the first and 1 in the third.

The only time I was ever completely solid was a tournament in Stamford when I had more PIM than I did GA. Got a minute 30 for delay of game when I purposely knocked the net off when I somehow managed to get my rear end behind it, but I wanted to preserve the shutout so I went for it:lol:. In the 5 games we played I had 1 GA and 4 shutouts. God drat I was on fire that week.

Shutout is a state of mind...

gco
May 8, 2007

titanium posted:

Do any of you guys drink 5hr energy before you play on a regular basis? The two times I have its been amazing. Redbull just seems to raise my pulse but any of those Monster/Rockstar versions of 5hr seems to give me crazy focus. Sadly 1/2 a bottle still seems to work 5hrs and shouldnt be used before a 10:30 skate.

A great way to save money as long as your performance is the same :haw:.

I've noticed that when I have no sleep and I chug an actual energy drink, my performance declines within the first few minutes of play. I have yet to try any of the 5 hour energy things with the intent to do something that required energy. I only had a bit of one once and it was absolutely terrible. I know it's just a shot but I could have sworn something was moving around in my mouth as I swallowed and it wasn't my tongue. It was also chunky. On top of that, I'm still skeptical that there has to be some negative health effect in regards to drinking over a week's worth of B12 in 2OZ. Once I actually have the time to spare to stop by Walgreen's before an ice session, I'll pick one up and try it out as long as I've had a good night's sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gco
May 8, 2007

Wow, I haven't checked this thread in a while. Just got back from playing a European pickup game and read up on what's going on ITT.

Aniki, you and I now have the same water bottle, IAAG t-shirt, and presumably IAAG wrist band.

Back to those crazy Europeans. The first word I heard in the locker room had more accents than letters (don't question my logic) and everyone was talking in this jibberish which I later found out to be Slovak from the friend that invited me to play.

The play style was so incredibly different from any team I have ever played for. It's really hard to describe but it was pickup hockey with playmaking as a more important aspect than the "LET'S NOT PLAY DEFENSE" mentality you can find anywhere. It was really structured play and there were at least 4 passes for every shot on net, something that is usually the other way around in regular pickup hockey. I made a few sweet saves on some pretty talented players and had a whole lot of fun having a completely different experience and playing a completely different game. Basically, I understood earlier on that I had to read plays and follow passes very well and on quite a few instances when the defense let up and I was given a breakaway to deal with, I read them like a book and stoned them numerous times.

If any of you know somewhere locally that has a bunch of foreign guys playing pickup, I highly recommend at least trying to see if there's an opening for you to play, it is a really eye opening experience how different people play the same sport.

As for a quick but true observation on the differences of pads made by the same companies: the number or amount of 'X's they use to name the equipment is inversely proportional to the number of hospital visits you will need due to hockey injuries.

Also, next weekend I'm (hopefully) going out to Wesco and looking at some new gear. I can't wait to get my hand into a custom R8 glove again, that thing is so sweet. :woop:

• Locked thread