Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Anyone have any thoughts on the RBK 8K pads? I have the 6k's right now and am only considering the 8k's because I can get a great deal on them. Good things? Bad things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

Not to derail your question, but how are your 6ks holding up? I hear a lot about premature wear and tear.

Not so well, really. I had to replace two straps within one month of buying them. They just seem a little cheap. I guess you get what you pay for.

*edit* I've also noticed that not many folks here use Brian's pads. Any particular reason? Are they just too expensive for what you get or what?

Joey Walnuts fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 16, 2008

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Curious, has anyone had to pay to play on their team? This next season, they want me to pay at least half of the amount. Something I have never had to do before. It's not that big of a deal, but I guess I was just perplexed.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

I kind of want to give the RBK P2s a look again. I mean, not the P2s, the 8ks cause I'm not made of money.. Nor do I have any money.. Nor am I making any money..

If only they made them with the Turco break. My butterfly isn't that wide so, I dunno.

I just picked up some 8k's today. I'll let you know how they work out for me on Thursday.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Got to try out my new 8K's tonight. I absolutely love them. The knee-lifts are far more comfortable than the 6K's are and my butterfly just seemed perfect with these. The only con so far is that they're pretty stiff, though I've only used them once so they'll break-in soon enough. The straps are also much more durable than the 6K.

I went from 32" on the 6K's to 35" on the 8K's. With the 32's, I couldn't ever get the pads to connect on my butterfly, but now I don't have any problems at all. I'm 5'9" and my ankle to knee is 18" so they might be just a touch too big for me, but so far so good.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Pleads posted:

I'm assuming it doesn't hurt to take a shot in the pads, but do you feel anything other than the impact if you use your chest, or arms or something? I'm not afraid of taking a stinger now and then, just curious how often a shot hurts.

Shots to the pads don't hurt in the least. I've had a few to the chest that have left a decent bruise but nothing incredibly bad yet. Sometimes I'll take one to the upper arm that stings for a bit, but again, nothing all too bad. The only place where it has really hurt me is taking one to the side of the knee. Every now and again one will sneak through that tiny opening and crack you right in the knee. Horrible pain. Get some knee pads.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

I don't know how I missed this post. Is the pad construction visibly better/different? If I asked you to take a photo of the major differences, would there be anything to show off, really, or would it just be a "same pad, better stitching maybe, better materials" type of thing?

You can certainly tell if you look at it up close. Better stitching, better thicker padding. Also, the design on the front is stitched on as opposed to just painted on. I'm not sure what they're called exactly, but the calf-guards cover a much bigger area as well.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Ah hell, lost 4-1 tonight with 40 shots on goal. I guess that's...something. My team had 11 shots on goal. Cripes.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

The 6k is a decent beginner's set I think. The resale value will be next to nil when you have to replace them, but as long as you're okay with that they'll work well. Only thing I've heard is durability issues.

I actually sold my 6k's last week for $200. Could have been worse, they could still be sitting in my garage. And you're right about the durability issues. My thighboards started falling apart a few weeks back and I had to have a couple of the straps sewn back on. That said, they are definitely a good beginner set.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
So has anyone removed their thigh boards and used only kneepads instead? My thigh board on my right side keeps getting caught up in my pants and it's starting to piss me off.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Gah, we lost 3-1 tonight with 53 shots on me. My team had 20 shots on their net. Bothersome. If we could stay the gently caress out of the penalty box, maybe they wouldn't have had so many drat chances. The good news was that of all of the breakaways, I stopped 100% of them. So I got that going for me...which is nice.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
And here I am getting completely burned last week. poo poo.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Anyone know the turn-around time on getting a helmet airbrushed? I don't have a spare and if it takes a month to get it done, then I'm boned.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Clean my gear? That's a good one. I spray everything down with febreeze every now and again. That's about it though.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
I got hurt about 3 weeks ago so I haven't played since. Finally got back on the ice today. Holy poo poo. I had no idea it would be that difficult getting back into rhythm. Felt like I was flailing all over the place. I do not recommend taking 3 weeks off.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Dancing Hog posted:

Our goalie, well the team I used to play for and was filling in on, was out for a few weeks, last night was his first game back, man he sucked, we lost 11-5, probably 9 of their goals were shots from the outside that had no business going in.

Yipes. Luckily I was just playing pickup. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if it was a game. One guy had 6 break-aways on me and scored 5 of those times. Just plain ugly.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Lesson learned today? Never leave my bag on the garage floor near a big goddamned spiderweb.

At least I know what was biting me during the game.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

titanium posted:

What level are you guys playing at? It's really common for the teams in my league to pickup ringers in the playoffs. It's annoying but it makes things more interesting.

You guys should be ready to take any shot from anyone at any time, MAN UP! :madmax:

Here in Phoenix, you are required to fill out a sub-list before the season starts. Everyone on the sub-list must be approved by the league coordinator. No ringers allowed. If you try to sneak one in, your team forfeits the game and the captain is suspended for the next two games.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

crusader donkey posted:

My stats are absolute crap this year. I've gotten shafted by the shot counter a couple times and my save % is sub .700. It should be closer to .8 :argh:

My team has only scored 15 goals in 7 games, so, you know, no pressure on me or anything.

We've got this one girl that keeps score and shots. The other team will come down the ice and lay a good 4 or 5 shots on me. I'll look up at the board and shots are still the same and the scorekeeper is texting away on her phone not paying attention to anything. I know I should only be concerned about the score, but goddammit if I'm gonna lose, I want it to at least look like I put up a fight.

On the other hand, there's one guy that inflates the shot count. Pass to the point? Oh that's a shot. I pick up a loose puck? That's a shot. Though it does look cool when the scoreboard shows 100 shots and 3 goals.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Played against Jocelyn Lemieux tonight. Holy crap. I didn't know who he was until after the game. I felt much better knowing that an ex NHL'er lit me up all night.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Started a new season tonight. Lost 5-1 with 71 saves. My team had 14 shots on goal. Goddamn, they're awful. This is gonna suck.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

crashlanding posted:

76 shots, jesus how long are your periods? Even in the most lopsided games the shot totals never get much higher than 50.

15 minute periods. I have zero defense on my team. Last nights game was knocked down to 56 shots though. Of course we only had 20 shots on net. Gonna be a long season.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

sba posted:

Some forward did the Sean Avery thing to me today.

Some forward is gonna have a nice welt on his arm.

I got 14 PIM's for the retaliation.

Oh I hate that. There's always one rear end in a top hat on the team that thinks he's in the NHL. One slewfoot later and they're on their rear end.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but exactly is the Sean Avery move?

Basically waving your stick in front of the goalie to distract him and/or piss him off to draw a penalty. It's loving obnoxious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnXtAuCngZ0

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
It has been a miserable season thus far. 203 shots on goal in 4 games. This is getting retarded.

Screen...SCREEN! SCREEEEEEEN!!!!!

GP W L T SO GA GAA SV SV%

4 0 4 0 0 20 5.00 183 0.901

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

SmutAnEggs posted:

I've been out of the loop for about eight years, what is a good chest/arm protector? I tried on the Itech Prodigy, it had a good fit and mobility. I'm hesitant on the velcro straps that fasten on the front. Anyone wear one of these?

I have that one...just replaced it with an Itech that doesn't have the velcro. It's great for mobility but it doesn't have the best upper arm or rib protection. The velcro also wore down relatively quick so it would come undone while in the middle of a game. The new Itech makes me feel a little less mobile, but the protection is far better.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

SmutAnEggs posted:

What is the new Itech?

Itech RX9

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

titanium posted:

I've always had the mindset that when you play against the best you become better as long as you don't accept failure. It sounds cheesy as gently caress but I'd rather play against people with fast passing and excellent shots than some slow group that doesn't know their position. You'll get lazy playing against sloppy lovely players.

Agreed. I play with Tier I Players (best in Phoenix) twice a week at pick-up. They light me up the entire time. I don't think I've ever been there and had fewer than 10 goals scored on me. Some of them actually help me by telling me where I need to be positioned.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Which rink do you plat at? I normally play at Polar Ice Chandler, but I've also played at Oceanside, Ozzie Ice, Polar Ice Gilbert and a couple of inline rinks.

Beginner B & C in Chandler, baby. :c00l:

Friday/Saturday nights at either 9:30 or 11:15. I go to Ozzie on Tuesday night drop-in every now and again since it's right down the street from my house.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Literally 8 seconds away from a shutout tonight. Breakaway. Goal. At least we won. Sure did want that shutout though.

Also, if anyone wants it, I've got this Itech Prodigy chest protector that you can have if you pay shipping. I used it for about 8 months and it's still in decent shape.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

SmutAnEggs posted:

Why don't you want it anymore, and what size is it?

I don't need it and I figure someone else could use it. I bought a new one a couple weeks ago. Not sure what size it is since the tags fell off long ago, but I'm 5'9" 150 and it fits me perfectly.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

gco posted:

Is that a pro or senior?

It was my first chest protector, so I'm guessing it's a Senior. It says Prodigy CP 4.8 on it if that helps.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Polish posted:

Went to the pro-shop today to try on some skates.. The guy wouldn't let me try any on unless I told him I was buying from the store. He was kinda a dick until I told him I would buy from there. Looked at some RBK 5ks.. nice boot pretty comfy. Online they run 189ish.. at the store they were 299 with a free bake and sharpening.. so I can justify that I think.

Guy said baking is $50 and sharpening runs $20 (US).. are they about average prices for those services?

That's retarded high. The places around here charge $5 for sharpening and I think $20 for baking. At the place I go to, they sharpen for free since I bought the skates from them. That guy sounds like a horrible cock.

From their site :

"On all BTM Ice Hockey Skate Purchases :

* *Free Heat Molding and Initial Sharpening ($25 value)
* *Request 1/2" or 3/8" blade cut Free of charge"

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

I've always paid somewhere about $20 for the initial cut, but that included the bake and all the trimmings. After that, I haven't paid more than $5 a week to keep my skates sharp. I cut them every other game. I really REALLY like mine sharp :v:

Good christ, man...how do you slide from post to post? I've had my skates for almost a year now and I've had them sharpened twice.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

slow hands posted:

Is there any chance this offer is still kicking around? You're the exact same height and weight as me.

Yep, you can have it. Give me your zip and I'll find out how much it will be to ship it out there.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

slow hands posted:

I live up in Canada, Ottawa to be precise. K1T 3R6

FedEx is and UPS are both $25. Says it will be there by next Thursday. Send me a PM if you want it or email me at skewbus at gmail.com

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

slow hands posted:

I'm aiming to get a set of goalie equipment for the winter shinny season since there's a well populated rink very close to my house. If things don't go too terrible, I'm hoping to sign up for a low tier beer league in the Spring.
:shobon:

Only thing is, I'm a student and kind of cash strapped but I'm pretty sure that I can scrape together a few hundred for some used equipment off of craigslist.

With that in mind, I know from reading the thread that you don't buy your helmet used so I'm going to budget for that but outside of that, everything else is going to be used, unless you guys have any advice as far as not skimping on things. I've already taken up Joey Walnuts' offer of a Itech Prodigy chest protector, so that's covered (Gonna send the cheque out in a few days man).

As far as looking at used pads and the trapper/blocker, is there anything I should look for? Wear in unobvious places? Any brands to stay away from? Do I need goalie pants or can I get away with a pair of normal hockey pants?

I think I have an old Bauer blocker and some old itech pants somewhere in my garage. I'll send them along with the chest protector if I can find them. They're nothing great, but it's better than spending another $100+ on more equipment.

Joey Walnuts fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 22, 2008

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
lovely night. Puck was behind the goal. I look up for one second to look for someone in front of the net and all of sudden....puck in net. I didn't even budge. I just stood there like a jackass. One of those nights, I suppose.

By the way, I still have this chest protector, breezers and Bauer blocker if anyone wants them. All free...just pay shipping or pick them up in Phoenix.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Robo-Pope posted:

How big are you?

5'9" 150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

JungleMan posted:

SAS Goalies: am I playing the wrong position - should I start playing goal?

What kind of retarded question is this? Of course you should be playing goal. Prepare for empty bank accounts.

• Locked thread