Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
The D in front of me is pretty solid, save for one. He never skates back, won't block shots, and will constantly sit right in front of me, effectively screening me from the play. The best was the game he showed up pretty wasted. At one point, on a scramble in front of the net, he fell down with the puck at his feet. As I go to cover, he pushes it with his skate, right on to the stick of a forward from the other team. Right in the net.

Otherwise, we lost our best defensive forward for 2 games. He's not the best at scoring, but makes up for it elsewhere. Now, at Epic Center, like most roller leagues I'd assume, is no checking. With about 3 mins left in the first half, we're up 5-2, and he'd been hit into the boards at least 5 times now with no call. In a play behind the other net, he's hit again, and dropped to the ground. Finally, the ref is calling a delayed penalty. But, Tim had had enough. First he trips the guy that hit him, then gets up and gives him a cross check to the side of the head. Shattered the kids visor, and was tossed. Was it dirty? Of course it was, but it never would have gotten that far if the refs call one of the hits earlier in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Remind me why I hate Great Skate again. I'm in the market for some new pads. Currently, I'm wearing some hand me down 32" Mission Motion Lites, when I need to be wearing around a 36" pad. After talking with PMA a bit over AIM, I was looking at the Bauer Supreme SR Pads. I play only roller, so they'd be fine for me.

Then, it gets complicated. The gift card I have?
"Can't use it on our website, you need one of our E-Certificates"
:itjb: Ok, so I can just come in and get it from the store then?
"You could, but it's $249 on the site only. In store, they're $329. Wait, it's clearance? Sorry, you can only order it from the site."

So unless I want some Rbk X-Pulse pads, as that seems to be what they stock exclusively, I'm SOL on using the gift card. Fantastic!

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

sba posted:

That would explain why I hate them.

Not to mention when I was looking for a new mask.

"We just carry the Itech masks. 1400 or NV7. Hackva, what is that? Umm, no I don't think we carry those."

Also, the 1400 masks are going up to $240. Why you ask? Marvel is having them done in Captain America, Wolverine, Spiderman, Iron Man, and Hulk, all available in your favorite Widowmaker.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

JAF07 posted:

Do you two just buy gear online, or is there another Buffalo-area store I don't know about?

Actually, the pads are the first thing I was buying online. The rest I got in store. Hackva at Don Simmons, Catch/Block, Stick and C/A at Great Skate.

Though, now I should probably just sell the gift card and order the Supremes. Or it looks like the Itech Reflex 5s are coming in March.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Yeah, I'm counting down the time until the new pads come in. Went to Skate and Shoot tonight, 8-10 PM. Now, I know I've posted about my pads, and how they're too small.

With the 32" that I have, the top of the pad is about mid knee when I go down, plus the thighboards. This leaves a bit of space between that and the bottom of my pants. Happened to catch this slapshot in just the right place about 10 min in today.

Bonus Tape Measure!

e: ^^ No problem, just let me know when to watch for it.

Rick Grimes fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 5, 2008

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Won tonight 5-4, improving to 4-1 this session. I'm not playing the best, but luckily the offense has been there to help me out.

Schedule so far: W 9-6, L 9-5, W 7-5, W 9-6, W 5-4

Though, I'm not looking forward to playing the Mad Dogs on the 27th. They're 4-0 (don't know the outcome of their game today), with 47 GF and 2 GA.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

crusader donkey posted:

Just pray they get bumped up a league before then :v:
This happens frequently, teams either get moved up or down based on the first couple games. We were one that got moved down the first year we played.

Not gonna happen. With Epic Center's leagues, once you sign up for the slot, you're in it for the session. They also have a Tuesday night team, also undefeated, but with 31 GF - 10 GA. Basically, they shouldn't have a team in Weds. night period, as they're more than likely going to run away with it.

sba posted:

We play the worst team in the league tonight, so hopefully I can improve my GAA.

Better than mine, I'm rocking a 6.00 GAA. Yet I'm 4-1, go figure.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
PMA, received the helmet in the mail yesterday. Either you have a small head, or mine's just big. Going to be doing some adjustments with the straps to get a better fit.

Thanks again.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Heading off to Skate and Shoot, I'll be using the mask to try and get used to the feel. I have it set up strap wise, but it's still real tight in the jaw. Like, squeezing my face, it's probably not big enough for my fat head, but I'll make it work. Here's hoping Tony gets my mask done soon.

Also, back to the pad search. Any good or bad news on the Itech Re-Flex 5s? I know, they're the lower version of the RX9's, but again, for purely roller use. That, or the X-Wing 4.8 or 7.8, as they'll apparently be clearanced out soon.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Thanks for the input Aniki. I like the 7.8s, and I'm waiting until Monday, when GS will apparently start the clearance.

Figure I'll throw this out there, for you goalies currently playing, post up your league standings as of now.

code:
Team name                        W   L   T Pts  Gf  Ga
------------------------------- -- ---  -- --- --- ---
MAD DOGS                         5   0   0  15  57   4
CAUCASION                        4   0   0  12  22   9
*BOBBY BEERS                     4   1   0  12  35  30
RAMPAGE                          3   1   1  10  27  23
BECK CHIROPRACTIC                2   2   1   7  24  28
SNOWSTORMS                       2   3   0   6  20  24
THE WASHUPS                      1   1   2   5  10  26
SONICS                           1   4   0   3  16  29
BOHICA                           0   5   0   0  13  31
FILLING STATION                  0   5   0   0  16  36
Playing BOHICA tomorrow, so hopefully we'll be up to 5-1 on this session.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

80085 posted:

drat, how badly did you guys get murdered in your 1 loss to only have a goal differential of +5?

W 9-6, L 9-5, W 7-5, W 9-6, W 5-4, from my earlier post. So, we've lost by 4, and have won by 1, 2, 3 and 3. Like I said, my team has been bailing me out pretty well this session. I honestly think I've been getting worse.

crashlanding posted:

Well the first place team is averaging wins of 11.4 to 0.8 so I think that's the problem. How can that be fun for them?

We get to play them on the 27th. :smithicide: Half of my team seems to already have accepted a loss. But, we played them last session and only lost 9-7. So, nothing's guaranteed.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Won 10-2 last night, improving to 5-1. GAA down to 5.33, heh. Get to play one of the two undefeated teams next week. Though, it's the lesser of two evils, as Caucasion actually seems beatable.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Just got pictures back of my mask when I got home from work. Tony finished it up, and will be shipping it out tomorrow morning. Hopefully, I'll have it on Friday. If not, Monday then.

To preface, I'm a huge Resident Evil fan. And, I've always like the whole Umbrella schtick. So I went with an Umbrella theme.

So yeah, once I get that, PMA's mask is getting sent on.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

G I Jimbo posted:

My brother crusaderdonkey requested I post here when the mask arrived at the house since he's still away at school. We've got a nice painting project now when the weather warms up. Thanks to PMA for the free stuff and to Rick Grimes for sending it along.

Glad to hear it made it safely, heh. I've played in the new mask about 5 times now, and already have a chip in the chin. Good thing Tony offers free touchups on his paintjobs. Still trying to figure out how it happened. I wear a dangle, and don't remember taking any shots in the general area.

Thanks again for the loaner PMA.

Rick Grimes fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 3, 2008

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

Tim Thomas posted:

The dangler probably chipped it, if it's along the edge.

Something you might want to try is using some door trim from Autozone and using some no-name adhesive to adhere that to the edges of your mask. I did that with the old one.

No problem guy!

Yeah, it's probably this. It's right on the edge of the right side of the chin. I thought it might've been the dangler, but wasn't sure.

I wasn't going to buy one, but then I took a shot to the top of the sternum somehow. Like, left a full circle puck mark. My C/A must've been sitting low or something, but my teammates bought me one, so I kind of feel obligated to use it.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Got my new pads last monday, Itech RX5s in 36+1, and had the first game in them Weds. Tied 4-4. The pads broke in really well, especially as I didn't get a chance to play in them until the game. Just wore them around the house a bit Tuesday to get used to the feel.

Only downside to the game was about 5 minutes in, I twisted my left knee a bit when my foot got stuck on the post. Didn't hurt much until about 4 hours later, then it throbbed for a while. Feels decent now, but still tender if I press on the right side of it. Debating if I should get it looked at or not.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Injury update: Finally went to the doctor for my knee. He says from range of motion and when it hurts, it's probably an MCL sprain, but there could be some cartilage damage. Got a script for Hydrocodone and Cyclobenzaprine and sent home.

Good news is, my insurance approved an MRI without me having to go through therapy first. But, I'm sure I'll have to do that as well. Got credit for a win last week, as the other team forefeited, heh. Though, the replacement for me got smoked bad today in the playoff matchup 8-3. 8 Goals on about 12 Shots.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Following Internet Victory, here's my gear. Don't mind the crummy workbench in the background.

Not seen: RBX X-Pulse 6.0 C/A, same as his.

Got to wear the pads on the court all of one time before the knee injury. PMA and sba already know, but torn medial meniscus. Looks like my two options are surgery or other surgery.

Weird thing, is that it hasn't hurt at all over the past 5 days or so now. Debating putting that off for now.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

Martytoof posted:

Are those 7.8 gloves? I tried a 7.8 Vamp blocker on today and it was really nice.

I'm not a big fan of the Vamp graphics, but other than that...

4.8s actually, got them on clearance at Great Skate's tent sale last summer for $75 total. I like the blocker, but not a big fan of the glove.

Polish posted:

On Monday, I twisted my knee or something. Planted my left foot into the ground and then turned to the right which resulted in me instantly falling to the ground wanting my leg to fall off. Going to the hospital for x-rays finnaly.. was hoping it would just heal, but I realise that isn't the case now.

How often, and what is the most common injuries everyone gets?

This really blows because we have our first league game tommorow night, aside from wrapping it real tight and wearing a leg brace what should I do?

Mine really didn't hurt that bad at first. Maybe for 5 minutes in the game, then it was fine until about 3 hours later. Though, I did the same as you, put it off for a week and change thinking it was just a sprain.

Hopefully it's not that bad man.

Rick Grimes fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 20, 2008

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Well, apparently I won Goalie Store's drawing for a jersey from http://www.russianhockeyjerseys.com

Question for sizing from you guys. I wear an XL X-Pulse 6.0 C/A, and the RBK practice jersey fits it well. What size should I go for then as far as a jersey goes? Or does it really not matter as far as Goalie Cut?

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

Martytoof posted:

I think most goalie cuts are one size fits all. I've never seen them identified by anything other than "Goal Cut"

Congrats you lucky gently caress :haw:

Thanks, heh. I was browsing their site, but the sizing selection didn't go away after choosing goal cut, and I was a little miffed. Still easing back in to this goalie thing.

On a good note, got a shutout tonight 11-0. To be fair, the other team only had about 11 shots on goal.

e: Also, if I get pick of any jersey off the site, I'm looking at these two.

Then it comes down to if I want my name in English, or Russian (Cyrillic?). Not much of a difference with either.

Rick Grimes fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 15, 2008

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Few pics from tonight. My buddy Justin captioned some of them on Facebook.

"Kozak in butterfly. He wonders why he blew his knee out."

"Halftime"

Blurry shot, but yeah.

Not a big fan of the dangler. But, I was hit twice in the throat last session, luckily nothing too hard.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

nahanahs posted:

Are you just posing or is that your stance?

God no, that's not my stance. I was coming toward the bench, and saw the camera pointed at me, so I just put the arms out and got in a half assed position.

And yeah, that's just foam in the net.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Some goalies bring water onto the floor at Epic. I just keep it on the bench and get some at half, or when a team calls timeout.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

crashlanding posted:

Do you really play halves?

Yeah, my roller league does 22 minute halves.

Also, I almost got tossed today for telling a ref to do his job. One of our Defensemen got a heavy two hander across the gloves, and nothing gets called. Really blatant, right in front of him. My teammates are already yelling at him, but of course I have to put my two cents in.

:itjb: "Hey ref, are you blind? You gonna call anything?"
:hitler: "Keep talking goal, you're gonna get tossed."

So I laugh at him. He repeats it and adds "You want to get a game too?"

He was a dick all night.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
End of the regular season:
code:
League#:883 WED. INLINE HOCKEY GREEN      

WILD                             9   1   0  27  87  38
THE WASHUPS                      5   2   3  18  49  32
BLIZZARD                         5   3   2  17  60  31
SNOWSTORMS                       3   4   3  12  47  44
OUT SHINED                       3   5   2  11  45  56
T-MOBILE                         0  10   0   0  22 109
Best games were the 2 against T-Mobile, being my first two shutouts 11-0 and 9-0. Played the Washups tonight in the playoffs, and won 9-1. So we get to play the Wild next Weds. for the Championship. Split the 2 games during the season, winning 4-3, and losing 7-4. Hopefully, it'll be good.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

Internet Victory posted:

Holy crap 109 goals against.

Their defense doesn't really help out too much. Also, 11 of their 22 goals came in their two losses to the Wild, 15-7 and 15-4. :gonk:

The Washups, who we played tonight, beat us both times during the season 7-3 and 6-3. Though, we went up 3-0 quick today in the first 5 min, and piled on to an 8-0 halftime lead.

Our captain was suspended from a fight last week, so we had to bring in two guys that played for us once or twice each in the 10 games. They're really much better than anyone else on our team, so I'd like to get them every week, but they have other teams. The main thing though, is that they were on our official roster. Washups got so frustrated that they challenged our roster at halftime. Seriously, I know you're getting beat bad, but do you have to go that far? Delayed another 5 min as they had to bring out the rosters from the office.

Rick Grimes fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 17, 2008

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

Martytoof posted:

Not that they weren't within their rights to challenge the roster, but they should have done it beforehand. Delaying games because all of a sudden you don't like who you're playing against is dumb. If they didn't care when you thought they were nobody-players, they don't really have a leg to stand on when they realized they're good.

Though near the end of some games I would kill for a five minute break :haw:

I agree that they had the right to challenge it, but like you said, do it earlier. Not when you're down 8-0 at half, and the ref is about to drop the puck to start the 2nd half.

Also, if you're down 8-0 with 2 minutes to play, do you A) Call Timeout, or B) Let the clock run. If you picked A, you're correct. They scored then to make it 8-1 with 47 secs. left. I went for a poke, and my defenseman kicked it in by accident. It happens, meh. But we scored with :32 left, then called timeout. It was a dick move, but poo poo, they did it first.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

sba posted:

In a ten game league you should have to play at least 5 times to qualify for playoffs...that's a terrible rule. I'd be pissed if I were on that other team and you guys brought in ringers too. My summer league is 17 games and you need 12 to qualifty as a skater, and 10 for a goalie.

It's not like they didn't know the rule regarding that though. Maybe they should put some good guys on their roster next time then. :colbert:

Seriously though, I do agree with you there. We were only expecting one of them to show, to replace our captain/leading goal scorer (21). But both showed, so hey, works out for me.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
I have to keep my own stats as well. We have a scorekeeper, but that's about it. Same problem as Joey Walnuts though, the broad that they hired recently won't stop texting. EVER.

Someone injured on the court, clock runs. Within 2 under 2 minutes, whistle blows, clock runs. (We do stoppage under 2 min. if within 2). For fucks sake, at least listen for the whistle.

Joey Walnuts posted:

Here in Phoenix, you are required to fill out a sub-list before the season starts. Everyone on the sub-list must be approved by the league coordinator. No ringers allowed. If you try to sneak one in, your team forfeits the game and the captain is suspended for the next two games.

Same for us, that's why we had them on the 'official' roster that was due by the second game. They may have been ringers, but according to the league rules, they were on the team.

Should people complain, they may think about adding the game minimum to the rules. I'm actually for it, as I do feel it to be unfair to the teams that may not have that extra guy or two to call on.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
code:
League#:948 WEDNESDAY INLINE GREEN        

RAMPAGE                          4   0   1  13  33  19
MAN-BEAR-PIGS                    4   0   0  12  42  19
WHALERS                          3   1   1  10  26  20
CHEEKTOWAGA BLIZZARD             3   1   0   9  31  22
YINGS                            2   2   0   6  25  22
BLUES                            1   2   2   5  24  25
T-MOBILE                         1   3   0   3   8  30
SONICS                           0   5   0   0  23  37
ROLLER                           0   4   0   0  10  28
Long time since I've been here. 3-1 with the main team, but I've also played twice for Rampage and T-Mobile. Getting a lot of work in this session, went 2-0 yesterday. Won 5-4 with the Blizzard over Blues, and won 5-2 with Rampage over Roller. Back to back this week, after last week when I played 3 straight.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Hahahahaha, my buddy wants me to play in net for his ice team next session. Regardless of the fact that I haven't skated in 8 or so years. Apparently I fit well into a 12D goalie skate though, so now I just need to find a decent pair and learn how to skate in gear.

This ought to be fun.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Ok, so I ended up getting some ice skates on clearance, Bauer Vapor XIXs. Hahaha, it's a learning experience to say the least. Been to scrimmage at Holiday Rinks twice now, and I'm learning to skate with gear on. Worst part is the side to side. Getting it down a little bit now, but I swear I catch about 50% of the time.

I will say this. Going from roller to ice, I looked like something out of NHL 93. Sliding out of the net after dropping on the move was not something I planned for the first time. Having fun with it so far though, just need to keep at it.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
For my number, I wear 78. Number I had in HS football, and pretty much every sport since.

Had my first ever ice game tonight, lost 4-3 with 25 SOG. Which isn't bad for me, considering I've skated 3 times total now in the last 5 months. With a break of 15 or so years in between.

As far as Roller goes, finished the session 5-1. 1st in the league, and playoffs next weds. Not my best session, with 34 GA, but the offense has helped me out.

Rick Grimes fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 16, 2009

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
code:
League#:963 WEDNESDAY INLINE HOCKEY GREEN 

CHEEKTOWAGA BLIZZARD*            5   1   0  15  53  35
ROMAN HELMETS                    4   2   0  12  48  28
VESPA                            3   1   2  11  40  32
BECKMAN                          3   1   2  11  33  29
TEAM ICELAND                     3   3   0   9  50  39
SONICS                           2   2   2   8  35  31
WHALERS                          2   3   1   7  30  35
RAMPAGE                          2   4   0   6  26  41
FLUR DE LE                       1   4   1   4  34  45
MOOSEHEAD                        1   5   0   3  26  60
Final regular season stats from the current roller session. Not a big fan of the 8 game sessions, I'd prefer they do 2 12s and a 16, as opposed to 2 12s and 2 8s.

Like I said, not my best play at all in those 6 games, even though we ended up 5-1. But we beat Beckman 9-1 in the playoff game to move on to the championship game this Weds. Finally had a good game where I could see the puck well and get in the right position to stop it. Hopefully I can do that again this upcoming week, heh.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Dear god, I've been playing absolutely terrible this current session in roller. I mean, the team's doing well, 7-2 right now. But, I have 47 GA, for a whopping 5.22 GAA.

All of a sudden, I cannot shut down my 5-hole fast enough. I have somehow lost all form when going down, and happen to let almost anything go in. Any particular drills or anything I can do to work on this?

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
How often do you guys go through sticks? I picked up a 3-pack of SherWood 9950s on clearance for $70, probably... mid 2008, and haven't broken the first one yet. I usually only play once a week, twice tops. Probably just lucky I guess, but now that I've said something, I'll snap two this Weds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Hey, I remember this thread. It's been a while to say the least.

So, I haven't played in about 8 months. My mom passed away pretty quickly at the end of April, which coincided with the end of the roller session. I just didn't have the motivation to get back put there for a while, and was planning on coming back in Jan/Feb. That way I'd at least have a chance to get back into some kind of decent shape.

Until I get a call today, as my pal's team has playoffs tomorrow for roller. And their goalie is in Florida, so I'm getting a last minute call up. Any advice other than stretching the rest of today and tomorrow? I have a feeling this game may not go so well.

• Locked thread