Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
Aniki your pads look like they're 5" too short in that butterfly picture. Hope you got some beefy knee protection. Bring your gloves down.

Might as well post this in this thread too. My gear.

Hackva mask
RBK Xpulse 6.0 C/A
RBK Xpulse 6.0 Catcher, Blocker, Pads (will be selling these cheap once the battrams come in)
TPS something or another pants (they were $30, I need new pants)
PAW custom knee/thigh pads
Bauer 1000 skates
Vaughn throat guard
Budget KOHO sticks

And my new BATTRAM gear thats currently on its way to me.

Fury pads and new Nexus gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Aniki posted:

I noticed that too. They're 34" pads, but the next time I get pads, I either need to get bigger pads or make sure to get a +1 or 2 thigh rise. I did have thigh boards on those pads, but I took them out, since they kept on getting caught in my pants.

Also, I'll make sure to bring my gloves down.

Edit: Here is a long range shot of my butterfly. Should I try to bring my knees closer together when I'm butterflying or are my pads simply too short?

Yes bring your knees together like this.

Here's what a butterfly should look like.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

fenix424 posted:

Just curious as i'm looking for pads, but what is the proper way to measure yourself for pads? I came up with 32-34" and I'm 6'3". Is this normal?

I'm 6' and my pad size is 37" depending on manufacturer.

Measure from your ankle bone on the outside of your leg to the middle of your knee cap. Some manufacturers have you measure from your knee to mid-thigh. There's a thread on the goalie store BB what size pads from different companies fit what size ankle to knee.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Edit: Also, what the gently caress? Are you serious? I want to see what the big difference between these and the V3 is, that they're almost half the price.

Made in china senior quality i'd bet. Vaughn 7400 SR is to V3 as RBK 8K is to PS2.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Yeah. I mean, what PMA said about not playing enough to warrant pro pads kind of rings true with me, even though every fiber of me wants the genuine article. I'll have to see if GoalieHeaven gets a pair in that I can look at.

Someone on GSBB had this insight to give: "The difference is the same as between RBK PS2 and RBK 8K" :rolleyes:

That's what I said a few posts up. :smith:

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
OH YES! my gear arrived. Ordered it back on Christmas day.

Battram Fury pads. Battram Nexus gloves. Black/White/Bronze Weave Vaughn Velocity 2 graphics.

Catcher is very awkward compared to what I used to wear. Everything is super stiff...

Scott forgot my boot straps :( but I'm sure he'll straighten that out, I'll just have to take some lovely straps off some lovely pads in the garage in the mean time.

Heres a picture of the leg channel someone requested in the other thread.

And the catcher.

Internet Victory fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 13, 2008

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
More photos.

Blocker (basically an RBK X-Pulse clone)

(sorry about the black background)

The pads have 3 extra spots for the nylon straps (which are seatbelt nylon, friggin awesome) 2 extra near the knee and one at the top of the pad where the thighboard straps to. I'll be removing the thighboards.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Martytoof posted:

That is so incredibly badass. Did you ask for a squared off thigh? I can't tell from the pictures whether it's really square or not. Mine has an annoying taper that doesn't close the five hole well.

Seriously though, after seeing your photos I think I should be going Battram instead of buying a new set of Vaughns. Especially at the price he wants. The only difference I can see is that the knee rolls don't go all the way to the knee lift like on my Velos, but they may not on the V2s that he ghosted either, so who knows. I wonder if he would consider doing a single knee stack instead of three individual lifts.

Is his logo heat sealed on or what, cause I would be taking a razor to a few of those real quick though :colbert:

The thigh is squared, but I didnt ask for it thats just how the Furies come. Knee rolls were custom order, the Furies come flat faced but it didn't cost any extra for the knee rolls. And all the logos seem to be heat transfers except on the outer gusset of the pads and the thumb of the glove. I don't know how easily they come off though.

And yeah this whole set basically cost just as much if not less than a set of Velos pads through vaughn.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Martytoof posted:

The logos are likely the same ones that were heat-sealed on my gloves. They came off after an afternoon of scrubbing and peeling. I have nothing against Scott getting his brand out there, but (sorry Scott) his logo is incredibly ugly and the fact that he plastered it all over his stuff just made me want to pull it off ASAP.

I might try to remove the logos on the calf wings and the black BATTRAM on the side of the blocker. I dont know if removing black logos on a white surface will leave residue though so I dont know if I want to try it.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I removed the logos on the glove shown above, and while the sticker itself didn't leave any residue (it flaked off cleanly), the glove was already dirty so when I pulled the logos off you could (very) visibly see where the dirty white leather contrasted with the clean white leather that was under the logos.

You can't really tell anymore since I've used them enough to make up the difference in grime, so I'm pretty happy with how it looks :haw:

Honestly if they don't bother you, I wouldn't bother removing them. It was a personal decision. I would prefer all my gear to be un-branded if I could get it that way, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Are the logos on the outside gusset just sewn into place?

Yeah they're sewn on. His website says for an extra charge you can get no logos but I don't know how much it is. Probably a lot.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
Action pix from today.

What do you think?

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is that an ECHL gamer? How'd you get a hold of that?

Ebay. It's a Vincent Zaore game used Johnstown Chiefs jersey. I got outbid on both goalie jerseys and his was the cheapest.

I was at a game of theirs and afterwards they were auctioning off their jerseys but I didn't have any money then so I kept checking ebay in case somebody who got one wanted to get rid of it, then this one showed up.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Martytoof posted:

The kit looks fantastic. How does it feel on ice?

Hard to get used to having 4 knee stacks on each knee. Also the gloves are going to take a while to get used to. So stiff! I like everything though.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
GoalieMonkey should be getting RBK 8Ks with the Turco Break soon if they dont already.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Polish posted:

Yeah, my chest protector didn't come with elbow pads.. (70 bucks at a pro shop.. wasn't a bad deal). I am still thinking about returning the chest protector because of the lack of elbow pads and pick up something like this..

http://goaliemonkey.com/sherwood-goalie-chestprotective-ab9960srd.html

Or preferably this..

http://goaliemonkey.com/rbk-hockey-chest-arm-protector-premier-2-6k-sr.html

I should just give someone $1000 bucks and tell them to return to me with gear.

I'll sell you this for $50+shipping if you're in the US.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
What happened to the velcro on your PAW knee pads. I hope mine don't fall apart :(

Have you tried strapping your pads like this?

Loose up top and a little tighter at the bottom?

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The shoe laces at the end of your pads tie through your skate cowling to keep your pads from over rotating around your leg.

Pads are supposed to rotate when you go down into the butterfly so they're 90 degrees to the ice/ground.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

sba posted:

NOT FOR THE SQUEEMISH:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p48/sa_sba/DSC01268.jpg

stick on top of finger, does not slide good

Brodeur wallpaper spotted.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
Post yer gear!

Just signed up for the league down the street again. This time as goalie. Can't wait to get lit up and have it mean something.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
Hey, MARTYTOOF, how'd you take off the BATTRAM heat transfers from your gear again? I tried using a razor blade on the calf wing but it's looking like its just going to leave an indentation that says BATTRAM because some of the material underneath is sticking to the letters I'm trying to peel up.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
Martytoof do you still have the link to the site selling polska jerseys? I can't find the thread where you posted it.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
Currently holding a 4-1 record in my league. 2 goals against in each of the last two games. Most I let up was 8 by the top team. Next game is against the team I used to skate up for so I have to work extra hard.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
loving lovely rink is turning my pads blue!

Hard to see with the flash:

Mr cleans magic eraser doesn't make a dent.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
Holy crap 109 goals against.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
High level players are much easier to play against since you can predict where their shots will go. Playing against fat beer leaguers who cant skate is tough because they shoot like its going to be a high wrister and they wiff and the puck slides under your pads. Never fails.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

fenix424 posted:

What do you think a realistic time-frame is for someone who has never skated before to average beer-league goalie would be? I guess i need to know how long its going to take me to not be worthless on skates :smith:

It took me 1 or 2 sessions to get used to goalie skates from player skates. Going from never skating to being decent on my player skates took like a season.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Polish posted:

Went to the pro-shop today to try on some skates.. The guy wouldn't let me try any on unless I told him I was buying from the store. He was kinda a dick until I told him I would buy from there. Looked at some RBK 5ks.. nice boot pretty comfy. Online they run 189ish.. at the store they were 299 with a free bake and sharpening.. so I can justify that I think.

Guy said baking is $50 and sharpening runs $20 (US).. are they about average prices for those services?

poo poo, I just paid $6 to get mine sharpened.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Polish posted:

Okay.. say there was a shoot-out.. and as the shooter is skating up with the puck, what is to stop you from comming out of the goal a bit and just dive feet first into the puck before they shoot?

Doubt that would fly on any professional level.. but in the typical beer/adult league, why not? Or even just skate up and plow the guy over.. although that tactic isn't as subtle.

These things called rules.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Space Cadet posted:

Second thing: how long does it take the rest of you guys to get dressed? I tend to putter around while getting dressed and it is taking ~20 minutes as I proceed through my gear.

I'm usually first out of the locker room, even if I'm late. It always surprises me haha.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
Does it make me a bad person that I'm mad Brian Heaton is dead because I want to sell my battram set and get a set of BHG stuff?

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
edit: whoops

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Space Cadet posted:

Do whatever you can to get a decent mask, I was working in the emergency room one night and a guy playing beer league hockey came in to us with all his gear still on (goalie) since the paramedics didn't want to waste time. He took a shot to the head, was reported to drop to the ice and started throwing up. Everyone had a good laugh the shooter apologised and then the seizures started right there on the bench. By the time he got to us he could no longer respond in any known manner, eyes dialated and unfixed, seizures continued...When we moved him into the Res room they were talking of installing a shunt, urgent diagnostics and giving IV meds to stop him from frothing at the mouth. It took 8 guys to hold him down steady enough to start medicating him, and as they were transporting him out to the imaging machines I looked in the pile of gear now laying on the ground and off to the side was a lovely itech mask. I can't say what kind of shot he took, and I certainly don't remember the model of mask only that it was black with a cats eye and itech stamped on it. He did however have an amazing set of Koho gear that looked top notch. I never heard what happened to the guy because we transferred him to another facility who had late night neuro in the building but I will never forget that night I chose to never skimp on a mask or cup.

Something I've always wondered if a goalie has to be taken to the ER while in full gear do the hospital staff cut everything off and ruin your $4000 worth of gear? Just incase I get injured one day I wonder if I should frantically try to remove most of my stuff to save myself from having to buy new gear.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
So I've been thinking about hanging up the pads and stick to skating up, but I'm not 100%. If I do, what would be the best way to sell my gear? Local? Goaliestore.com forum? Here? If anyone here is interested let me know.

Battram custom pads and gloves, hackva mask, vaughn v3 pants, rbk 6.0 chest, etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005

Joey Walnuts posted:

You'll be back. They always come back.

Well I've been thinking about it for a while. I don't get to play anymore because there's always 3-4 goalies and on the off chance I do play I just don't have fun like I used to. Also, if I get this job I just applied for I won't get to play open hockey anymore so I'd be sticking with my rec league which has no shortage of goalies.

• Locked thread