Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Where do I go with Paramore after Riot?

There’s only three more albums after and the short EP before, and I think the subsequent ones are all worth listening to if you like Riot. If Riot is super your jam and you want more pop-punk polish, head to the next album (Brand New Eyes). The main criticism of that album would probably be that the sonic distance between one song and another is fairly minimal, with one or two acoustic songs thrown in. It’s definitely a fair point, but the songs are very well done for what they are.

If you want their “heavier” (for Paramore/the genre, this isn’t an easycore album or anything), head to the self titled. That one has Ain’t It Fun on it, which is just A Great Song, nuts to anyone that says otherwise. They move slightly away from overpolished pop punk here, and had some lineup changes, so you hear them start branching out from the pop punk formula and in general the music starts getting more interesting.

Jump to After Laughter if you want a pretty significant sonic change. It’s still poppy, less punky, and sounds to me like what No Doubt would have been writing if they started in 2010 instead of the mid-80s. This has my favorite Paramore song on it, Pool, but is fairly different than their previous work, and I’m pretty sure that showed in its popularity.

I haven’t listened to Hayley’s solo album, Petals for Armor, so can’t tell you much about that, but I’m pretty sure it was critically well received.

Overall, there’s probably less than 3 hours of total music here, and a lot of it is really well done. If you like Riot, listen to all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Thank you, I'll probably skip After Laughter since I just relistened to the No Doubt albums I have and came away going "Goddamn do they suck outside of Tragic Kingdom" but I'll check out the others.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Howsabout Tom Waits?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Howsabout Tom Waits?

There's so many eras and styles, it's a bit tricky, so here are three simple albums from different eras to dig into:

Closing Time
Rain Dogs
Mule Variations

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

There's so many eras and styles, it's a bit tricky, so here are three simple albums from different eras to dig into:

Closing Time
Rain Dogs
Mule Variations

I think you could put Heartattack and Vine in as a midway between his 70s sound and 80s sound

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Franchescanado posted:

Closing Time
Rain Dogs
Mule Variations

Thanks. Just thought of him because I watched Night on Earth and he sings the title song, kind of a Leonard Cohen with laryngitis vibe. If I want to start with that style in particular does that narrow down the choice?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks. Just thought of him because I watched Night on Earth and he sings the title song, kind of a Leonard Cohen with laryngitis vibe. If I want to start with that style in particular does that narrow down the choice?

If you're thinking of this song, then that's like Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones.

BigFactory posted:

I think you could put Heartattack and Vine in as a midway between his 70s sound and 80s sound

That's a good call.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Franchescanado posted:

Closing Time
Rain Dogs
Mule Variations

BigFactory posted:

This is a good list to start with.

FWIW, Waits did the entire soundtrack to Night on Earth, not just the opening song.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Island Years

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
There's so much good Tom Waits. Here's stuff other people haven't mentioned.

Nighthawks at the Diner is a fantastic "live" album (all of the songs are new) and he's a great raconteur. One critic said it's the first live album where you'll skip over the songs to get to the banter.

Small Change is probably the best of his jazz albums. Tom Traut's Blues (Three Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen) is one of his very best songs.

Bone Machine is one of the most brutal sounding albums ever. But the song writing is fantastic - it's dark, brooding, and playful.

Orphans - Brawlers, Bawlers, and Bastards is the best rarities collection ever. Brawlers is filled with more rock and blues based songs, Bawlers is filled with ballads, and Bastards is weird experimental things.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Don’t skip early albums either. He was a smooth crooner who sang love songs, not yet the whiskey-mud gargling murder ballad raconteur that people generally first hear.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Anti-Flag.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Don’t skip early albums either. He was a smooth crooner who sang love songs, not yet the whiskey-mud gargling murder ballad raconteur that people generally first hear.

I thought about recommending chronological order but it takes too long to get to anything at all modern. It's not a bad approach once you know you're a fan, though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ultrafilter posted:

I thought about recommending chronological order but it takes too long to get to anything at all modern. It's not a bad approach once you know you're a fan, though.

Yeah, I couldn’t hold an interest in his earliest stuff until I’d been through all of his rowdy albums a bunch. I don’t know if the change was rapid or gradual, because I’m not a diehard fan and rarely listen to anything prior to Swordfishtrombones.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, I couldn’t hold an interest in his earliest stuff until I’d been through all of his rowdy albums a bunch. I don’t know if the change was rapid or gradual, because I’m not a diehard fan and rarely listen to anything prior to Swordfishtrombones.

I actually had a Waits post ready to go before I went to work but forgot to push post and most people have kinda given the answers I'd give (start with Small Change, Rain Dogs and Mule Variations) so I'll talk about this instead:

Closing Time is kind of a piece in and of itself, it's the only one of his Asylum records not produced by Bones Howe, the songwriting is occasionally half-baked, and honestly, I'm okay with the Eagles' version of Ol' '55 being the popular one.

Tom's stint with Bones behind the boards lets him get to his 70s sound fairly quickly across the next three records (Heart of Saturday Night, Nighthawks at the Diner, Small Change) give or take a couple wobbles along the way.

The problem with the next few albums of the Asylum run is that eventually the pathos turns to bathos, and so there's a few good pieces on Foreign Affairs and Blue Valentine, but they're definitely lesser works and over-indebted to his overall concept and persona as developed through Small Change. Heartattack & Vine, the last Asylum record, is definitely more of a type with SFTBs than what comes before, even though probably the strongest songs on H&V are the quieter ones - Ruby's Arms might be his single most-devastating song, full stop.

H&V lays some of the groundwork for his 80s stuff, but he definitely took a hard left turn sonically when he started producing himself.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I agree with all the Waitsposts so far, but maybe a slightly different take: Night on Earth Tom Waits sounds just about like Just Plain Tom Waits sounded in '92 when the film was made, in terms of albums that would point you towards Bone Machine and The Black Rider. The loose trilogy of Swordfishtrombones/Rain Dogs/Frank's Wild Years laid the groundwork for that kind of sound, and everything from Mule Variations on takes it further in the same direction.

My own venture into his stuff went something like Night On Earth > Mule Variations/Alice/Blood Money > earlier stuff in no particular order. It's served me well but was also mostly influenced by what was out at the time. But I'd also say a Tom Waits soundtrack will have a lot in common with a Tom Waits theater/musical album, so do check out The Black Rider, Blood Money and Alice in particular.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Blood Money and Alice are both good. It was a nice day when those two came out. I think Blood Money might be his last album of new material I really get into, though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ultrafilter posted:

I usually recommend people start with Rain Dogs since it has a bit of everything.

Looking for some rough, rowdy music filled with left turns - you got stuff like Singapore and Cemetery Polka. Want tender ballads? You got Time. Want rootsy rockers - you got Big Black Mariah, and Union Square. Want a big hit pop song? You got Downtown Train.

It just feels the most representative of all of his styles, since he was at a real crossroads.

The thing with Waits is that he never loses his tuneful side. He's always been able to knock out a ballad like he did on his earlier albums. He just keeps moving in different and surprising directions.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I remember when I first heard Tom Waits like it was this morning. I was riding around town with some new friends in college, probably drunk and stoned, in a really lovely car late at night. Hang On St. Christopher came on, and then Clap Hands, and then Black Rider. I was completely blown away and couldn't get enough of it. I'm pretty sure I convinced my friends to go to somebody's room with a computer and burn me a copy of the cd (The Island Years) before the night was up.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Johnny Cash?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Johnny Cash?

The two big live albums are Folsom Prison and San Quentin. Both are great. If youre more interested in the Sun records singles, a compilation is probably the way to go. For 60’s Columbia studio records, Orange Blossom Special was a little controversial at the time because he was doing some crossover work, so it’s worth listening to. I would also strongly recommend the edition of the Dylan Bootleg Series called Travelin’ Thru. It has the duets with Dylan from Cash’s tv show and it’s really good. The dylan material is great too.

For 70s stuff maybe the Highwaymen is the essential thing to hear? It wasn’t a prolific time for him. I almost think you can jump to the Rick Rubin stuff at that point. Those records might feel a little corny now but there’s still a lot of solid stuff there. I don’t think any one of them is much better than another, except maybe the last one which isn’t so strong.

There was a 3 cd compilation in the 90s which actually might be a good place to go. One was gospel music, one I think was murder ballads and outlaw stuff, and the other was some other theme. I do really recommend listening to Bootleg Series 15 though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the Johnny Cash recs everyone, really enjoying it so far!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Salt-N-Pepa. I know "Let's Talk About Sex", "Whatta Man" and "Push It", but not much more.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
Alison Krauss? I just listened to her two albums with Robert Plant and they were both dynamite.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Minister of Sound posted:

Alison Krauss? I just listened to her two albums with Robert Plant and they were both dynamite.

Live with Union Station
She's on a couple tracks on O Brother Where Art Thou, which is also a good place to discover a few other excellent folk and bluegrass artists, women especially.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

Live with Union Station
She's on a couple tracks on O Brother Where Art Thou, which is also a good place to discover a few other excellent folk and bluegrass artists, women especially.

I just listened to "Live" two times through. Amazing. Thanks for recommending! I'm a big fan of that soundtrack too, just never got around to checking out the artists.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I love Attica, any recommendations on where to start digging into the Wussy/rear end Ponys catelogue next?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Minister of Sound posted:

I just listened to "Live" two times through. Amazing. Thanks for recommending! I'm a big fan of that soundtrack too, just never got around to checking out the artists.

I'm actually not a huge Alison Krauss fan, but her band on that album is pretty great. I know I've listened to a few of her other albums but always come back to that one. I have one that was put out on Cracker Barrel's record label, such as it is. It's called Home on the Highway and it's pretty good too.

If you like her, also check out Sara Jarosz, Aoife O'Donovan (solo or with Crooked Still), and Sarah Watkins (solo, Watkins Family Hour, or Nickel Creek). The three of them also have a project called I'm With Her, which is great.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think Gillian Welch is the best of the folk revival alt country folks, and one of the best singer songwriters of her generation. She’s pretty different from Allison Krauss but in the same orbit. I would suggest for her starting at the beginning and going forward (Revival, Hell Among The Yearlings), it makes Time the Revelator that much more special when you get to it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BigFactory posted:

I think Gillian Welch is the best of the folk revival alt country folks, and one of the best singer songwriters of her generation. She’s pretty different from Allison Krauss but in the same orbit. I would suggest for her starting at the beginning and going forward (Revival, Hell Among The Yearlings), it makes Time the Revelator that much more special when you get to it.

Yeah, there is nothing in Gillian's catalog to sleep on. Also Dave Rawlings Machine, which is her and Dave playing Dave's music.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Where would I start with Beyonce? The only things I've actively listened to with her are features on Kanye or Jay-Z songs, specifically Lift Off came on my ipod just now which prompted this post.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I picked up her self-titled album (Platinum edition) on iTunes and it's basically a greatest hits album. For me, that's enough, I get a pretty good selection of her work up to 2014 including her work with people like Nicki Minaj (Flawless Remix) and Pharrell Williams (Blow Remix).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Lemonade. Lemonade is basically non-stop great songs with a lot of variety and really great usage of guest artists (Seriously Kendrick Lamar's verse on Freedom is one of the best parts of the album)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You should probably also listen to some of what she did with Destiny's Child if you haven't already.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pylon?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

There are only 3 albums, so just start from the beginning. Gyrate and Chomp are both very, very good.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Mastodon, how should I go about getting into them? I'm like, 8 minutes into an Adult Swim concert link I saw in the Stoner Doom thread, and I'm loving how smooth and groovy it is. Is this like their other work? I only have a passing knowledge of Baroness, but this set reminds me of Teeth of a Cogwheel and I love that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh1ZLEA5rGg

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Start with Leviathan and go forward. It’s only their second album, so you can go back to the first album, Remission, when you know you like them or not. But albums 2-4 are an amazing three albums.

If you are looking for something like Baroness, then maybe go right to Crack The Sky.

IUG fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 12, 2021

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
“Smooth and groovy” has kind of been the name of the game with Mastodon since their “sellout” period starting with The Hunter. Emperor of Sand is my favorite of this era of Mastodon albums and not a bad place to start. However, I will also quote my default Mastodon advice from four years ago:

Henchman of Santa posted:

start with Blood Mountain, go backward if you prefer the aggressive tracks and forward if you prefer the proggier ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard?