Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you aren't reading all of the above, Parklife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Damon Albarn, the guy behind Blur, is also one of the guys behind Gorillaz, so feel free to check them out if you're idly curious about them.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

hexwren posted:

blur is almost certainly my most favorite band of all time.

and song 2, as you might guess, is extremely not representative

however, their MO for the most part has been to have one big song 2-style rave-up per record, so if you dig that, at bare minimum, you'll enjoy tracks like bank holiday, we've got a file on you, popscene, B.L.U.R.E.M.I., etc.

they're a group that likes the loud guitar thing, but their main methodology is, with exceptions, extremely arch art-pop.

the first record, leisure, is extremely of its time, leaning towards the sort of stone roses/happy mondays dance-rock of the time

i mean, they're all extremely of their time, but work with me here

the next three (modern life is rubbish, parklife, the great escape) are their discovery of, obsession with, and burnout on navel-gazing about Britishness in a manner not as ascerbic as the fall or as joyous-sounding as the kinks.

the self-titled followed, with song 2 and, as some other record review I forget the source of at the moment put it: "message: guitars"

the following album, 13, was ballyhooed at the time as being "electronica" since william orbit produced or co-produced, but their drummer's been playing dance breaks since the first record anyway, it really isn't.

the last two albums are still good, but not quite as essential.

i know i sound rather disparaging here, but I'm at work, sorry. if I go into detail and talk up all the good things, I'll be here all night.

I don't generally like suggesting "start with the best-of" but most of these albums are CD-length, so they're essentially double-albums. also popscene, their first single to make people sit up and take notice, isn't on the original pressing of modern life is rubbish (though it appears on some US pressings) so...

there's two best-ofs. one's a single cd and came out after 13, the other's a double-cd and came out much later. both will at least get you a taste. even beyond the albums, they have an absolutely unreasonable amount of b-sides, some of which are really good, but it's advanced crate-digging for some of them

I hate to see an effortpost end up at the bottom of a thread.

I love jangle pop, C86, and The Stone Roses, but I'm sort of in the dark about the britpop movement that followed. I appreciate the narrative and will see how I do on the best-ofs.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

algebra testes posted:

If you aren't reading all of the above, Parklife.

Seconding this.

Also as someone who likes some Blur but is definitely not a diehard fan, check out 13. Far and away my favorite Blur album and I think I enjoy it today more than I did when it came out.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Parklife is the most well-regarded album, with 'Blur' probably second and Modern Life is Rubbish third.
Which is debatable, since I think The Great Escape is actually the best, but people are put off by the jaunty tunes and don't really notice that it's probably the most depressing album to sell a shitload of copies to actual teenagers.

Also, Damon Albarn has always been an insufferable prick, but he was particularly obnoxious around that time.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

only Blur album I've ever listened to is "Blur" but it's indeed a solid album. Strange News From Another Star is my favourite "not-Song 2" of it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Junpei posted:

Damon Albarn, the guy behind Blur, is also one of the guys behind Gorillaz, so feel free to check them out if you're idly curious about them.

And if you need a starting place on Gorillaz I'd say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf_PmmlCiso Do Ya Thing and if that hits your ear either Demon Days or Plastic Beach.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

doyathing is pretty good, but it's transcendent in its complete, 13-minute version

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

LionYeti posted:

And if you need a starting place on Gorillaz I'd say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf_PmmlCiso Do Ya Thing and if that hits your ear either Demon Days or Plastic Beach.

Nthing Demon Days. I've lost and rebought that album. drat good.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Deftones? I feel like someone must have put together an effortpost at some point about them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Schiavona posted:

Deftones? I feel like someone must have put together an effortpost at some point about them.

Start with their second album, “Around The Fur”, and then do their third album, “White Pony“. The first album is good, if you like them, but the second and third album has their best hits.

You can continue through their discography in order from there, but after “Diamond Eyes” (the sixth album) I’d say there is a decline in quality.

I’d also recommend checking out “Crosses”, a side project from the lead singer.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosses_(band)

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I would agree that starting with Around the Fur is a good idea, but I would argue that Koi No Yokan was their last great album and their last two were just ok.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ohms was an incredible return to form. There are very few bad places to start with Deftones but you might as well go with the universally acclaimed White Pony.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

I quite liked their self-titled album, but I am also not a massive Deftones fan and probably have a skewed opinion of their work. "Minerva" is damned amazing track, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYTt0-LpLbE

I also really liked "Moana" and "Hexagram" off that album.

Also album art for the album is rad as hell.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Melt-Banana?

I’ve liked most songs I’ve heard by them but didn’t know if there is any sort of consensus on a good starting album.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Voodoofly posted:

Melt-Banana?

I’ve liked most songs I’ve heard by them but didn’t know if there is any sort of consensus on a good starting album.

Teeny Shiny, I think this one is the most consistent. Their albums are way too long for how fast the music is and unfortunately I don't know about any compilations of their splits/EPs.

e:

Toe Rag posted:

They actually put out two compilations of their EPs: 13 Hedgehogs and Return of 13 Hedgehogs, which is all their EPs (or singles as they apparently call them!!!). In fact those two may be the best place to start, as it really runs the gamut. Just bear in mind those are compilations/anthologies and not proper albums.

Had no idea. Will get these for sure!

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 17, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:hellyeah:

I love Melt-Banana. They're playing at Great American Music Hall on March 14 FYI. They are incredible live, but sadly not as good as they used to be, at least the last time I saw them.

I'd probably go with Scratch or Stitch if I had to start somewhere other than at the start. Melt-Banana is pretty fast and heavily hardcore influenced, and this album is where that happened. The stuff before that is definitely Melt-Banana and good, but this is the definitive album, I guess. Their drummer actually quit after they recorded it, because he didn't like playing fast, hah. They have famously been without a drummer ever since.

I think if you listen to Teeny Shiny or Cell-Scape, it is their "poppy" era. Maybe it's just production. They still get into the weeds, if you will, on their EPs. This is off an EP between those two albums, but feels a lot more raw than either. That whole EP rules. They actually put out two compilations of their EPs: 13 Hedgehogs and Return of 13 Hedgehogs, which is all their EPs (or singles as they apparently call them!!!). In fact those two may be the best place to start, as it really runs the gamut. Just bear in mind those are compilations/anthologies and not proper albums.

I can post more but would maybe be better responding to anything specific! I've seen them like 10 times over the last ~20 years and have every single album/EP/single and have basically every song memorized.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks for all that. I’m happy to get more recs but will probably start with Scratch or Stitch and maybe the EP comp.

They are playing in Vancouver on March 11 and I grabbed tix (hopefully show goes through) which is why I figured I should maybe check out some albums. Great American would be a nice venue for them though. I miss the SF venues.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The Screaming Trees and/or Queens of the Stone Age?

Mark Lanegan died, and the bits of news about him I read talked about these two bands. I just listened to a Youtube playlist of the Screaming Trees but it wandered off to other bands, as Youtube tends to do.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ExecuDork posted:

Mark Lanegan died, and the bits of news about him I read talked about these two bands. I just listened to a Youtube playlist of the Screaming Trees but it wandered off to other bands, as Youtube tends to do.

For Lanegan and QOTSA, Songs for the Deaf - he's on a bunch of great tracks on that album like Hanging Tree and Songs for the Dead, Song for the Deaf and God is in the Radio.

for QOTSA themselves, I don't honestly believe they made a bad album. I'd start with Rated R and Songs for the Deaf and keep going until you stop. Rated R has some of their early radio hits which gained them some cred, Songs for the Deaf has their Mega Hit and is also their best album, nearly drat flawless.

Every album after that is still good, to varying extents. The only one I don't religiously listen to is Lullabies to Paralyze but even that has one of my favorite tracks (Burn the Witch) on it.

Queens of the Stone age self titled is good too, Mexicola, Avon, Regular John and If Only are good tunes but it is also very much a Josh Homme side project Kyuss spin off at that stage and doesn't feel like a fully formed band yet.

But I'd recommend: Rated R -> Songs for the Deaf

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

ExecuDork posted:

The only Screaming Trees album I really liked was Uncle Anesthesia from 1991. I think it was their major label debut and it's really accessible rock.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wilbur Swain posted:

The only Screaming Trees album I really liked was Uncle Anesthesia from 1991. I think it was their major label debut and it's really accessible rock.

That one is pretty good if I remember right. I probably haven’t listened to it in 25 years. Sweet Oblivion had the hit and isn’t a bad record. Lanegan’s more recent records with isobel Campbell are pretty good.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

He was also on some of the Desert Sessions, which birthed a few QOTSA songs.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I would also recommend his work with Greg Dulli (The Afghan Whigs). He's got background and lead vocals on several tracks from The Twilight Singers and he recorded a full album with Dulli as The Gutter Twins.

Here's a cover of Massive Attack's "LIve With me" from a Twilight Singers EP. Lanegan on lead vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smI5U_cEXnA

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There are zero bad Screaming Trees albums. Zero. Invisible Lantern and Uncle Anesthesia are the best loved ones.

Check out Lan's solo stuff too. Man was prolific.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I'm enjoying the other Screaming Trees recommendations - I know Dust, which is excellent, so will check out the others.

The softer side of Lanegan is found on Ballad of the Broken Seas, his first (I think) with Isobell Campbell - it's a lovely album, and the track, Revolver, is amazing. Hard to imagine that (again, I think) they'd not met when they recorded it, Lanegan recording his bits and mailing them in.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm constantly surprised at the high quality softer stuff coming from stoner/doom guys. Tony Reed has some solo acoustic stuff that is really nice to listen to as well.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

algebra testes posted:

For Lanegan and QOTSA, Songs for the Deaf - he's on a bunch of great tracks on that album like Hanging Tree and Songs for the Dead, Song for the Deaf and God is in the Radio.

for QOTSA themselves, I don't honestly believe they made a bad album. I'd start with Rated R and Songs for the Deaf and keep going until you stop. Rated R has some of their early radio hits which gained them some cred, Songs for the Deaf has their Mega Hit and is also their best album, nearly drat flawless.

Every album after that is still good, to varying extents. The only one I don't religiously listen to is Lullabies to Paralyze but even that has one of my favorite tracks (Burn the Witch) on it.

Queens of the Stone age self titled is good too, Mexicola, Avon, Regular John and If Only are good tunes but it is also very much a Josh Homme side project Kyuss spin off at that stage and doesn't feel like a fully formed band yet.

But I'd recommend: Rated R -> Songs for the Deaf

I will second this QOTSA recommendation. Rated R -> Songs For The Deaf. drat excellent albums.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I just picked up QOTSA Rated R (Deluxe Edition) on iTunes, and I am happy.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Nicotine
Valium
Vicadin
Marijuana
Ecstasy
and alcohol

C-c-c-c-c-c-cocaaiiiine

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you like QotSA, then also check out "Them Crooked Vultures". It's a supergroup with Josh Homme, Dave Grohl, and John Paul Jones. It's only one (self-titled) album, and it owns.

That said, Josh Homme is a lovely human, and any way you can get this music without sending money Josh's way is essential.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Fuuuuuuck. I never assumed he was a wonderful person but that’s next level lovely.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I assumed Eagles of Death Metal stopped doing stuff after the infamous terrorist shooting, but maybe Jesse Hughes is distancing himself from Homme. At least I hope so.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I assumed Eagles of Death Metal stopped doing stuff after the infamous terrorist shooting, but maybe Jesse Hughes is distancing himself from Homme. At least I hope so.

What's funny(?) is that Jesse Hughes was always the guy that came off as the bigger shithead of the two.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah Jesse went full chud

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

Nicotine
Valium
Vicadin
Marijuana
Ecstasy
and alcohol

C-c-c-c-c-c-cocaaiiiine

It's a surprisingly good song, very catchy and ear-worm-ready. I enjoy songs that lead to the possibility of me just blurting out with no warning lyrics about drugs or murder. The stand-out example here is GWAR's "Slap U Around", an upbeat, catchy tune that features the lines
"And then I kick
your pregnant rear end down the stairs"

IUG posted:

If you like QotSA, then also check out "Them Crooked Vultures". It's a supergroup with Josh Homme, Dave Grohl, and John Paul Jones. It's only one (self-titled) album, and it owns.

That said, Josh Homme is a lovely human, and any way you can get this music without sending money Josh's way is essential.
I was reading wiki articles about QotSA and ended up on the page for Them Crooked Vultures. Yes, definitely, I will be picking up that album.

I really like QotSA and I really don't like Josh Homme, he's gone beyond the only-hurting-himself RockStar excesses of partying and drugs and gone into violence. Normally I try to buy music in whatever way balances convenience for me with getting money directly to the artist. Other than searching for second-hand CDs, what's a good way to get music without giving the artist(s) money?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:filez:

Used music/bookstores? My local place has acres of cds. I think there is still a pretty good market for used cds on amazon and eBay too.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

piracy is alive and well

if you extremely miss the days of kazaa and napster, soulseek still exists and is actually extremely good at helping you find rare poo poo. turns out that when you eliminate the sort of user who's going to label doors songs as creedence and vice versa, the sort of user who actually bought all three versions of that mid-90s thomas dolby single and ripped them to flac is a lot easier to find

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

How much do artists make if you just listen to their stuff on youtube? Like say I search Them Crooked Vultures and listen to the album as individual tracks in one of those Topics playlists? That’s how I mainly listen to stuff around the house or on my computer at work. Like yeah there’s some rando who’s uploaded the tracks to their personally account and haven’t gotten taken down yet, but there’s also a weird not the artist’s actual youtube account but still kind of official looking upload that maybe automatically spawned by the internet because enough people searched it? Idk how the internet and youtube work.

Like this:
https://youtu.be/iGWrO2KTBwA

Vs this:
https://youtu.be/jKvO-Vyh6Zg

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh and by the way, if you like Josh Homme’s music regardless of his shittiness, check out Kyuss. And if you like that, then there is a whole world of good desert rock out there you should dip into.