Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hatelull posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but where to start with Killing Joke?

I only have one album by then, but it’s 1985’s “Night Time”. I was told it was a good starting place for them, and I’ll agree it’s a good album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

hatelull posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but where to start with Killing Joke?
If you want to hear their post-punk side first, the self-titled debut. If you want to hear their industrial metal side first, Extremities, Dirt and Various Repressed Emotions.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I feel like maybe this has been asked recently, but a quick search did not show it; apologies if so: The Melvins ?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can’t go wrong with Houdini or Bullhead.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

ExecuDork posted:

I feel like maybe this has been asked recently, but a quick search did not show it; apologies if so: The Melvins ?

I feel like Bullhead, Stoner Witch and Hostile Ambient Takeover are really good at showing what they can do - from complicated, speedy tracks to two-note sludge. Then move on to brilliant insanity of albums like Honkey or Stag.

You can also check out A Senile Animal which they recorded as a four-piece: guitar, bass and two drummers. A History of Bad Men is a classic Melvins track, up there with Boris and Revolve.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Start with any late 80s to early 90s studio album and go from there. Gluey Porch Treatments, Ozma, Bullhead, Lysol, Houdini

MmmDonuts
Apr 5, 2010
Flying Lotus?

Might be too broad, but Post-Rock?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

MmmDonuts posted:

Yikes!

If I had to make a taster menu to see if someone liked post-rock, I'd try the following, probably in this order -

1. Spiderland, by Slint.
2. Something by Mogwai, probably Special Moves, their live album.
3. Storm: Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

1. is a touchstone for many other postrock bands, and does set the template. Mogwai, in particular, their early stuff, owes a debt, I think. (Although they've been around, Mogwai, that is. for some 25c years, and are very prolific and varied.) Then GY!BE are important to the genre. Others will no doubt pop up with other suggestions, but dive in.

Post-rock can be a little humourless and po-faced, so maybe through something in there by The J.B's.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MmmDonuts posted:

Yeah that’s too broad.
But anyway, Godspeed You! Black Emperor is where I started. Yanqui UXO and f#a# infinity are great.
Do Make Say Think are also pretty good, a little less cacophonous and scary sounding.
Pelican and Red Sparowes are good, but I don’t know where to start with them, I just like whatever Pandora plays for me. Explosions in the Sky is good.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

MmmDonuts posted:

Flying Lotus?

There is probably multiple correct answers here but I’d say Cosmagramma. It’s still my favorite of his albums and one of my favorite albums of the last 20 years, and has an extremely varied sound and styles throughout. I’m pretty sure he has said he will never be able to make an album like it again because of how much work it was. This was his swing for a homer album and you can hear all that effort and sweat and ambition dripping off it. I hope someday he makes something else like it again. This isn’t to knock his other albums because everything he has put out has been good to great but for me this will always be his masterpiece.

If you want to start somewhere else, or want to know next steps:

You can start further back with Los Angeles if you want to hear the more stripped down, Stones Throw style LA Beat scene stuff he was doing at the time (and you should give it a listen at some point). You can also maybe jump forward to You’re Dead if you want less glitch and more jazz and vocals. I know there a few people who will swear it’s all been downhill from Los Angeles and I’m sure there are plenty of people who think You’re Dead is the pinnacle of his career, but i think those two with Cosmagramma will paint the picture of all his sounds and styles. Hell as I write this maybe just take those three chronologically.

I wouldn’t start with Until the Quiet Comes or Flammagramma but definitely check them out at some point, and don’t skip his EPs either. Like I said I don’t think he has a bad release.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 3, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

MmmDonuts posted:

I'll second the GYBE - f# a# infinity rec, it was my gateway into post rock and it's in my all time top 10 albums. But yeah it's a hugely varied genre, considering everything from Sigur Ros to Lightning Bolt could be lumped in there. I'd suggest finding a post-rock playlist on Spotify and making a note of any bands or songs that interest you.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

quote:

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

regulargonzalez posted:

I'd suggest finding a post-rock playlist on Spotify and making a note of any bands or songs that interest you.

Yeah this is the best way probably.
I would note that GY!BE albums should be consumed whole.

MmmDonuts
Apr 5, 2010

Voodoofly posted:

There is probably multiple correct answers here but I’d say Cosmagramma. It’s still my favorite of his albums and one of my favorite albums of the last 20 years, and has an extremely varied sound and styles throughout. I’m pretty sure he has said he will never be able to make an album like it again because of how much work it was. This was his swing for a homer album and you can hear all that effort and sweat and ambition dripping off it. I hope someday he makes something else like it again. This isn’t to knock his other albums because everything he has put out has been good to great but for me this will always be his masterpiece.

If you want to start somewhere else, or want to know next steps:

You can start further back with Los Angeles if you want to hear the more stripped down, Stones Throw style LA Beat scene stuff he was doing at the time (and you should give it a listen at some point). You can also maybe jump forward to You’re Dead if you want less glitch and more jazz and vocals. I know there a few people who will swear it’s all been downhill from Los Angeles and I’m sure there are plenty of people who think You’re Dead is the pinnacle of his career, but i think those two with Cosmagramma will paint the picture of all his sounds and styles. Hell as I write this maybe just take those three chronologically.

I wouldn’t start with Until the Quiet Comes or Flammagramma but definitely check them out at some point, and don’t skip his EPs either. Like I said I don’t think he has a bad release.

Good to know, I'll start there.

Thanks for the advice on post-rock. I'll start looking for some playlists.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MmmDonuts posted:

Dirty Three

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Do Make Say Think are also pretty good, a little less cacophonous and scary sounding.

If you're dipping into Do Make Say Think, then Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn is a pretty accessible album. The Besnard Lakes are also really good at easing people into post-rock in my experience--any of their first three albums are great.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

missed username opportunity, but Horse Stories is an amazing Dirty Three album

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Terminally Bored posted:

I feel like Bullhead, Stoner Witch and Hostile Ambient Takeover are really good at showing what they can do - from complicated, speedy tracks to two-note sludge. Then move on to brilliant insanity of albums like Honkey or Stag.

You can also check out A Senile Animal which they recorded as a four-piece: guitar, bass and two drummers. A History of Bad Men is a classic Melvins track, up there with Boris and Revolve.

Big thumbs up for including HAT here which is a criminally underrated album.

I found Stoner Witch to be the easiest album to get into, Tracks like Queen, Roadbull and most obviously Revolve are really easy to enjoy.

I'd then go Houdini or Bullhead, turn up Bullhead loud - it's arguably a perfect album and the second half is just incredible.

HAT is great because it kind of bridges the big riffs with the lack of taking themselves seriously perfectly

The early stuff is great and the 2 drummer stuff is pretty good.

They are probably my favourite band and that's even with not having put out an album I've enjoyed since The Bride Screamed Murder in 2010

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
Apologies if this has been asked. I have had numerous people tell me the King Grizzard and the Lizard Wizard is a band that I should be listening to but their discography is VAST and I know the jump from style to style or at least so I have been told so where is a good starting point?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyQPublic posted:

Apologies if this has been asked. I have had numerous people tell me the King Grizzard and the Lizard Wizard is a band that I should be listening to but their discography is VAST and I know the jump from style to style or at least so I have been told so where is a good starting point?

I've been listening chronologically, which has been a fun and good approach for me. But here is a handy flowchart I found that seems to be approved by a lot of fans:

Link to a full-size for even easier reading

If you like fuzzy garage rock that takes detours into surf-rock, psychedelic, punk, then the first two albums take 40 minutes to listen to total. The 3rd album is also under 30 minutes and it's basically a musical Spaghetti Western with spoken word narration (still fuzzy guitars). Their first "full" album Float Along - Fill Your Lungs is back to fuzzy garage rock, but with some longer tracks, more noise, way more psychedelic, but also detours into doo-wop, feel good pop rock. I think they're all good.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 10, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Regardless of what direction you take in Giz's catalog, Rattlesnake is their best song.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Polygondwanaland is aggressively free (as in, they actively encourage you to download one of the Masters pre-formatted for your favourite physical media, and they'll sell your bootlegs on their website for you). It's the only album I've really listened to, yet, and I think it's hilarious how it shows up on that chart all by itself as a kind of "You must do this. It is not optional" separate box.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah that is the one album that I’d point to when someone asks what that Lizard Gizzard band you listen to sounds like.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I just listened to Porcupine Tree for the first time, specifically the song .3, and the bass is so darn groovy, I love it. They've been around awhile, yeah? What are the best entry points for a new listener, or what kind of eras do they have?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

I just listened to Porcupine Tree for the first time, specifically the song .3, and the bass is so darn groovy, I love it. They've been around awhile, yeah? What are the best entry points for a new listener, or what kind of eras do they have?

Early era is sort of Pink Floyd worship. They begin to develop their own prog/alt rock sound with Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun/In Absentia, then take on a pronounced metal influence on Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet. In Absentia is probably the best at capturing all of their different approaches (and coincidentally is what .3 is from). I’d say it and Deadwing are their best releases as well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As above In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet are my three favorites. All firmly within the "Hardrock" Era of PT.

Also if you are into Heavy Metal with Growling vocals at some point someone's going to mention to you Steve Wilson is all over Opeth's Blackwater Park, an album a lot of people (myself included) really like.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 24, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Here's an odd one: Weird Al. I'm probably the only person on this forum that has never listened to a Weird Al album, no joke.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Here's an odd one: Weird Al. I'm probably the only person on this forum that has never listened to a Weird Al album, no joke.

In 3D is still the best.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BigFactory posted:

In 3D is still the best.

Yes this.

Also The Food Album

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

He's got a few greatest hits albums but I started with In 3D as a kid and listened to it a ton.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is gonna be hard, because I feel like a favorite would reflect your specific tastes and maybe nostalgia.

My favorite is Running With Scissors, but I go back to In 3-D, Dare To Be Stupid, Polka Party a lot. If you're into New Wave and 80's alt rock, then check those out. Off the Deep End through Bad Hair Day focuses on 90's Alt Rock, like Nirvana, Presidents of the United States of America, They Might Be Giants, R.E.M., and hip-hop. Running With Scissors continues that, but also does stuff with the pop music of the time.

Every album has at least a few good parodies and a few good originals. I think In 3-D through Poodle Hat all have songs worth listening to. There's good songs in the newer stuff, but I don't connect to it as much.

A big aspect of his popularity was through music videos, so enjoy going through all of them on his YouTube. They were pretty good at picking singles for music videos.

If you get really into it, also check out Al TV, which were MTV specials he got to make for album releases for a while, mostly skits and fake interviews. I'm sure they're on YouTube.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

In 3D looks like a good one; lots of recognizable tracks on it. Thanks!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The other nice thing about listening to Weird Al now is that the internet will tell you which songs are parodies and which are originals. Back in the day you could never be completely sure unless you knew the song he was referencing.

In 3D is definitely a respectable starting point but IMO his creative peak came a little later. Everything from the mid-80s to the mid-90s is solid gold. That's Dare to be Stupid, Even Worse, Off the Deep End, Alapalooza and Bad Hair Day. The albums after that aren't bad at all, but they're grade A material from someone who'd consistently been working in the A+ range.

His first self-titled album is the only one I'd really hesitate to recommend, though. He was still really figuring out a lot back then and it's pretty rough around the edges. It does have a few really good songs, and I think you do want to hear it eventually, but don't go in expecting anything amazing.

e: looking over the track lists I'm going to claim that Dare to be Stupid is his best album overall but I don't think there's any real wrong starting point in the list I gave. I have some listening to do tomorrow.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 15, 2022

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
By nature of being comedy music every album is really scattershot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IMO the best albums in terms of enjoyability are Dare to Be Stupid, Bad Hair Day, and Running With Scissors

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
You know I was gonna pick up Running With Scissors just because seeing him in concert reminded me how much I listened to the Horoscope song in my youth, but yeah in 3D is the one I return to and remember the most of.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Even Worse is pretty good. You got some great originals, like Melanie and Those Were the Days, you've got two Tommy James and the Shondells parodies, what more could you ask for.

I think the only bad album he had was Polka Party, and even that had Dog Eat Dog, which is a great Talking Heads pistache.

Personally, I find more joy from his originals overall than the parodies. The parodies get your foot in the door (and they're good), but the originals are where you see the musical mad genius.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

Even Worse is pretty good. You got some great originals, like Melanie and Those Were the Days, you've got two Tommy James and the Shondells parodies, what more could you ask for.

I think the only bad album he had was Polka Party, and even that had Dog Eat Dog, which is a great Talking Heads pistache.

Personally, I find more joy from his originals overall than the parodies. The parodies get your foot in the door (and they're good), but the originals are where you see the musical mad genius.

I agree about preferring the originals over the parodies. He's got a few parodies, though, that have replaced the original for me. I Want A New Duck, Like A Surgeon, The Saga Begins, Yoda, (This Song's Just) Six Words Long, Fat, etc. Probably because I've heard them all way more than the original.

Can we all agree that Albuquerque is his best song, even if it's just a direct parody of Dick's Automotive by the Rugburns?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I agree about preferring the originals over the parodies. He's got a few parodies, though, that have replaced the original for me. I Want A New Duck, Like A Surgeon, The Saga Begins, Yoda, (This Song's Just) Six Words Long, Fat, etc. Probably because I've heard them all way more than the original.

Can we all agree that Albuquerque is his best song, even if it's just a direct parody of Dick's Automotive by the Rugburns?

Nah his best song was that Avril Lavigne parody about constipation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Nah his best song was that Avril Lavigne parody about constipation

Not even the best song on that album.

Cuz Hardware Store is.