Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

In addition to the albums already listed for Charles Mingus, check out Money Jungle which has Duke Ellington on piano and Max Roach on drums.

For Thelonious Monk, some of the big ones that haven't been mentioned yet are Genius of Modern Music Vol. 1 and 2, Brilliant Corners, and Monk's Dream.

owl_pellet fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Long shot, but I got asked to go see Rickie Lee Jones with someone. I have not even a slight knowledge of her work.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

Long shot, but I got asked to go see Rickie Lee Jones with someone. I have not even a slight knowledge of her work.

Listen to the self titled. And probably whatever her latest is? But the self titled is the famous one.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay my alt rock station playing "Wild Child" and "Beautiful People Stay High" has officially made me curious about The Black Keys

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Junpei posted:

Okay my alt rock station playing "Wild Child" and "Beautiful People Stay High" has officially made me curious about The Black Keys

Thickfreakness and Chulahoma are my favorites but it's their stripped down blues stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

For their original run as a raw two-piece blues rock act, Rubber Factory. For their more full-band sound, Brothers.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'm an American who never really got into Oasis despite being in the age for it. Is there a really good full concert (~45 minutes or more) available on YouTube I could check out? Good in terms of sound quality and band performance.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes

Human Tornada posted:

I'm an American who never really got into Oasis despite being in the age for it. Is there a really good full concert (~45 minutes or more) available on YouTube I could check out? Good in terms of sound quality and band performance.

The most famous would probably be the concert they did at Knebworth House in 1996.

Day 1
https://youtu.be/yMZQP-axmVc?si=GU-xm-kL_hqrIpDW

Day 2 https://youtu.be/SDLOdzgjYvI?si=aZHMJaBSiAB01ARW

Not sure about YT sound quality though they did release an album of the concert too if that helps.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Related to the Peter Gabriel thread that showed up a couple days ago, I've been feeling the urge to get into Gabriel-era Genesis lately; only exposure I've had was giving Lamb Lies Down on Broadway a listen or two way back in college. Not opposed to listening to Collins-era Genesis either, but my prog sensibilities have me erring towards the early years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NuclearPotato posted:

Related to the Peter Gabriel thread that showed up a couple days ago, I've been feeling the urge to get into Gabriel-era Genesis lately; only exposure I've had was giving Lamb Lies Down on Broadway a listen or two way back in college. Not opposed to listening to Collins-era Genesis either, but my prog sensibilities have me erring towards the early years.

Selling England by the Pound is my favorite all-around one. A Trick of the Tail is Collins era but still doing the Gabriel sound fyi.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

NuclearPotato posted:

Check out Genesis Live. The original 5 tracks are amazing and far better than their respective album versions. Make sure you get the remastered version, as it greatly improves the sound and mix compared to the original release, and includes some bonus tracks from the Lamb tour.

Keep in mind, all the Phil albums still have plenty of great prog shenanigans in there, particularly the 70s stuff, it’s just they get overshadowed in the 80s by the pop singles. To quote myself the last time someone asked about Genesis:

fartknocker posted:

If you like Invisible Touch, start with the three albums that precede it, which are Duke, Abacab, and the self titled Genesis. Not to go fully Patrick Bateman, but Duke is the point where they're getting more into the synthy-pop sound they'll use through the 80s, but all the albums have a ton of great/more proggy stuff still on them. Duke has the whole Duke suite and Misunderstanding, Abacab has the title track, Keep it Dark, Dodo/Lurker, and all of side 1 of Genesis. After Invisible Touch is We Can't Dance, which I think gets a bit too ballad-y or adult contemporary at points, but does still have some really good stuff (No Son of Mine and Jesus He Know Me being personal favorites).

If you want to go back to the Peter Gabriel-era, which you should because it's great and defined by a string of influential progressive rock classics, focus on Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, which are also the albums with Phil Collins and Steve Hackett. All of them have at least a couple of great songs, like The Musical Box and Return of the Giant Hogweed from Nursery Cryme, Watcher of the Skies, Get 'Em Out by Friday, and the 23-minute epic Supper's Ready on Foxtrot, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe), and Firth of Fifth from Selling England. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a concept double album, and while the highs of it are extremely good (The title track and most of side 1, The Carpet Crawlers, a lot of side 4), it does drag at some points. Still, all are really good albums. I also highly, highly recommend Genesis Live, which I think the five tracks on the original version are all vastly superior to their original album versions.

After Lamb is when Phil becomes lead singer, and they slowly shift over time. I like all three albums they did with Phil in the 70s (A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, and ...And Then There Were Three...), which are all mostly good with some great songs (Squonk and Los Endors from Trick, One for the Vine and the various instrumentals on Wind, Deep in the Motherlode, The Lady Lies, and Follow You, Follow Me from Three) but also each has like one... I won't say dud, but one song I'm just not crazy about. This era also has Seconds Out, which is another very good live album.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Wind & Wuthering benefits from swapping out the dreadful yacht wannabe "Your Own Special Way" for the very Yes-inspired "Inside & Out".

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Wind & Wuthering benefits from swapping out the dreadful yacht wannabe "Your Own Special Way" for the very Yes-inspired "Inside & Out".

Similar to adding Do the Neurotic to Invisible Touch.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fartknocker posted:

what would you swap it for?

my pick is anything she does, as much as i like a fast, fun horn chart

and yeah, that's with full knowledge that I'm preserving both of the ballads on the record. I'm a sucker for a love song and for tony's synth tone on in too deep

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

hexwren posted:

what would you swap it for?

my pick is anything she does, as much as i like a fast, fun horn chart

and yeah, that's with full knowledge that I'm preserving both of the ballads on the record. I'm a sucker for a love song and for tony's synth tone on in too deep

I’d swap out In Too Deep, I think I skip that more than anything else on that album, Patrick Bateman quotes aside. You’d have both sides ending with an instrumental and I think it’d work well after Land of Confusion.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

fartknocker posted:

I just make Invisible Touch CD-length and have this tracklist:

1. Do The Neurotic
2. Invisible Touch
3. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
4. Land Of Confusion
5. In Too Deep
6. I'd Rather Be You
7. Domino
8. Feeding The Fire
9. Throwing It All Away
10. The Brazilian

Similarly to We Can't Dance, except I do some re-arranging / swapping out spa music:

1. No Son Of Mine
2. Jesus He Knows Me
3. Driving The Last Spike
4. I Can't Dance
5. Hearts On Fire
6. Dreaming While You Sleep
7. Tell Me Why
8. On The Shoreline
9. Way Of The World
10. Living Forever
11. Hold On My Heart
12. Fading Lights

Though I'll admit I made myself a remaster of this to sound more like Invisible Touch and less like a CVS PA system.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Selling England by the Pound is my favorite all-around one.

That and Nursery Cryme for me. Nursery Cryme has some variation from comedy (Harold the Barrel) to comedy-prog (Return of the Giant Hogweed) to gentle little ditties (Harlequin) and prog-rear end prog (Musical Box).

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’ve recently stumbled onto Sonic Youth’s Bull in the Heather and can’t get enough. Sadly the other thing I found was a Carpenters tribute thing which I can appreciate but is not my vibe - I’m really after that Pixies-type jank. What’s some good Sonic Youth stuff to pick up?

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
The five albums from EVOL to Dirty are what you're looking for. Daydream Nation specifically if you want what is widely considered their peak first.

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 14, 2024

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Mokotow posted:

I’ve recently stumbled onto Sonic Youth’s Bull in the Heather and can’t get enough. Sadly the other thing I found was a Carpenters tribute thing which I can appreciate but is not my vibe - I’m really after that Pixies-type jank. What’s some good Sonic Youth stuff to pick up?

Three best SY albums:
80s: Sister
90s: Washing Machine
00s: Murray Street

The above is a huge oversimplification of course, they had lots of self-released noise/improv albums, various collaborations and some other weirdness (like that Ciccione Youth album).

Daydream Nation is often quoted as their masterpiece double LP that was all the rage back then (see Minutemen and Husker Du doing double albums around that time) but it's very uneven and too long. The opener, Teen Age Riot, is their trademark song though.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for the SY tips, I dove into those albums and they’re pretty great.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

John Spencer Blues Explosion?

I'm pretty familiar with blues, mostly Memphis/Hill Country/Delta blues. I tend to prefer more stripped down stuff with less bombastic solos. I.e., RL Burnside rather than SRV.

I do like southern rock n roll stuff like Dixie Witch, Supagroup, Supersuckers (yeah they're not actually from the south but the sound is kind of there).

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 10, 2024

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

John Spencer Blues Explosion?

I'm pretty familiar with blues, mostly Memphis/Hill Country/Delta blues. I tend to prefer more stripped down stuff with less bombastic solos. I.e., RL Burnside rather than SRV.

I do like southern rock n roll stuff like Dixie Witch, Supagroup, Supersuckers (yeah they're not actually from the south but the sound is kind of there).

I’m far from an expert but I think it would be hard to go wrong starting with Orange.

Edit: although if you want more stripped down then maybe Extra Width?

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 10, 2024

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Seconding Orange but also try Crypt-Style!, it's way more garage and it was recorded by Steve Albini. It may be their best album.

And if you do like that one then be sure to check out Spencer's previous band, Pussy Galore (which also featured Julie Cafritz, later of Free Kitten). Dial M For Motherfucker is a classic. Their debut album was a cassette where they covered the entirety of Exile On Main St. It's glorious noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58IDj9a6szM

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Rush. I love what I've heard on the radio but don't trust Spotify to tell me anything beyond what's been popular.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Moving Pictures

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Moving Pictures, then you can start in the beginning and go chronological.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Terminally Bored posted:

Seconding Orange but also try Crypt-Style!, it's way more garage and it was recorded by Steve Albini. It may be their best album.

And if you do like that one then be sure to check out Spencer's previous band, Pussy Galore (which also featured Julie Cafritz, later of Free Kitten). Dial M For Motherfucker is a classic. Their debut album was a cassette where they covered the entirety of Exile On Main St. It's glorious noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58IDj9a6szM

Crypt style is probably my favorite but figured it might not be the best intro.

Also Dial M is loving great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Rush. I love what I've heard on the radio but don't trust Spotify to tell me anything beyond what's been popular.

Peak era Rush is the run from 2112 through Signals. That's where they really started nailing both the progressive side of their sound (title tracks of 2112 and Hemispheres; Xanadu) and the radio friendly rock side (Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Freewill, Spirit of Radio, Subdivisions are all from this era). The later 80s material is really synthy and kind of dated but cool if you're into that kind of thing. The debut is when they were still trying to be Cream or Led Zeppelin. Fly by Night and Caress of Steel are them figuring it out. They closed their career with some bangers too, albeit with terrible production choices.

tl;dr Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves are optimal, but you can't go wrong with anything from that 1976-82.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Thirding to start with Moving Pictures from 1981, which is regarded as their best album and has the one song your most likely to know in Tom Sawyer.

That album is also a transition point for the band, so where to go after that depends on what you want to hear. If you want the more progressive stuff, with the side long and more complex stuff, go to their older material, particularly 2112, A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres. If you want more of their shorter stuff, that really starts with the album just before Moving Pictures, 1980's Permanent Waves, and then continues from there with Signals (My personal favorite album) and Grace Under Pressure, which is also where they get more and more into synthesizers.

If you like live stuff, check out All The World's a Stage for their mid-70s sound, Exit... Stage Left for bits from their 1980 and 1981 tours, A Show of Hands for their mid-late 80s sounds, and Live in YYZ 1981 that was included as part of the 40th anniversary edition of Moving Pictures, all of which are great for the band during their peak years.

hexwren did an effort post on their various eras years ago, which is a solid summary of things:

hexwren posted:

This effortpost is incredibly unnecessary.

Both of the suggestions thus far will provide you with good music.

I sorta split the difference as a teenager---I did first get Moving Pictures, but then next moved to the then-brand-new live record Different Stages. The production is pretty heavily 90s (read: loud), but with two discs of material from several concerts in the 90s and a third disc recorded at a single mid-seventies show, it gives a pretty wide taste of what they got up to during their first three decades, song-wise.

I could definitely do a paragraph or more, easy, on all their records because I'm a dumb nerd, but I'll try not to do that. Here's some notes:

Rush albums tend to come in threes, in my opinion. For the most part. For the band, they come in fours, with a live album after every four (except in the 00s where there's a live disc for every tour).

The First Three Albums: Rush, Fly By Night and Caress of Steel are...well, they have their moments. Not all of those moments are good ones. They didn't even settle into their permanent lineup until the second of those (which is why there's no science fiction on the first record.) However, there's some gems in the rough, especially Beneath, Between & Behind, which is lyrically a little goofy (which...let's face it, can preface a description of literally every Rush song apart from the instrumentals) but rocks like nobody's business. I also once called in to a classic rock radio station as a teenager to request the title track from Fly By Night and, for reasons completely unclear to me, they played the call on the air...and then played Limelight. Radio's a hosed-up business. Where was I?

The Prog Era: 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres. The song about elves is actually back on Fly By Night, but these are the three records people will point at when they're talking about Rush music being all "elves 'n poo poo." The side-long 2112 isn't so much a song as it is a mini rock opera, which means you have songs that only exist to drive the plot. People may think it heretical, but I think side B of the record (songs about weed and being sad and a little bit of objectivism) is better than side A (OBJECTIVISM: THE ALBUM). Has way better riffs, if anything. A Farewell to Kings is probably the most consistent of these three records. Xanadu is slightly overlong, but cooks. Cygnus X-1 is ridiculous and gave Dream Theater the idea that they too could split songs across albums, so I'm biased against it. Hemispheres is basically in the same boat as 2112 for me---weaker side A, better side B.

The They Like The Police? Era: Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals. Don't get me wrong, they're still nerdy as hell, both lyrically and musically, they just spend this period getting away from unreasonably-long songs (averaging 4-7 minutes per song instead of having 10-20 minute songs and then three normal songs to balance it out) and getting into trickier rhythms and synthesizers. These three are up-and-down good.

The Holy poo poo, Synthesizers Era: Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire. I really like the last of these three, but it comes across as Rush from some weird alternate dimension where they're a synthpop band. Elsewise, kinda skippable apart from a few really solid tunes here and there unless you're really into proggy pop with lots of synths. Afterimage, Mystic Rhythms, Force Ten...your tolerance for these tunes and the albums they're from are probably mostly down to how much you like the 80s.

The Outlier: Presto. At this point, Alex, the guitarist, basically goes "if we don't get some goddamn guitars back into this, I'm walking." So they do. Ssssssssorta. There's still a little bit of keyboard on this record, often more piano-like sounds, which you don't get anywhere else in their catalogue. But the guitar is still totally stuck in the 80s---there's solos, but a lot of it stuff outside of that is the sort of thin acoustic guitar overdub on electric guitar that inevitably sounds like they're playing electric guitar but also playing an unplugged electric guitar at the same time. They also change record labels around this time.

The Nineties: Roll the Bones, Counterparts, Test For Echo. They get back to writing songs with riffs and generally settle into a mature radio-rock sound. Oddly, these three records are also concept albums---though on far more broad terms than most bands might use the term---covering fate, relationships and communication respectively. Dreamline, Bravado, Animate, Stick It Out, Driven and Half the World are the key songs here, most of the rest is okay. The title track to the first of these three records is the most possibly nineties thing, containing a rap breakdown. Yes. You heard me. It's clearly someone in the band with a voice modulator, but man, bad idea.

The 00s: Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows, Clockwork Angels. And the Feedback EP, which is all 60s covers. Vapor Trails is uneven, but that's almost certainly partly because of how tiring it is to listen to---it's almost certainly the straw that broke the camel's back in the loudness wars. You cannot really get any more brickwalled than this record. There is a remixed (not in the dance music sense, in the music production sense) edition of the record out there which I should track down at some point. There's good songs there, it's just hard to get at them. Snakes & Arrows is far and away my favorite record from their post-80s output and definitely worth checking out, though it's somewhat informed by the George W. Bush-era political landscape, which doesn't entirely age well. Far Cry, the first single from it, is definitely their best song since, like, 1991. I never really got into Clockwork Angels. I can't really say much about it. It's just kind of too much. In that way, it's almost peak Rush---too many riffs, too many tempo changes, too many lyrics, etc.

I'll just add to that for Vapor Trails, if you are interested in that, look up Vapor Trails Remixed that was released in 2013. The original mix of the album is insanely overdriven and will likely be louder than anything else you listen to, and while it works for some songs, Remixed brought it much more into line with their normal sound over the 90s and 00s and improved the majority of the album.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's a great effort post but if you like synth, Signals and Grace Under Pressure are so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

"oh, ten new posts in the start-with thread, wonder what they're talking about today?"

"oh, rush, i can definitely add something about them!"

"oh, i already did." :v:

yeah, i mostly stand by what i wrote, though if i sound disparaging about any particular record, i didn't mean to be. there's not a record they did that doesn't make me smile.

in related news, a couple of unreleased demos from my favorite headache hit recently, and they're pretty good. like, you can see how they didn't make the record, but i still do really like that record. i hope there's a follow-up eventually.

oh, also, the complete version of the concert that was the third disc of different stages came out a few years back as bonus material on the anniversary edition of a farewell to kings. there's some weird edits on the different stages version and a few fewer songs, this one's aces.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 11, 2024