Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

dflanny posted:

Anyone know a good place to begin with Einsturzende Neubauten?

voland suggested Strategies Against Architechture and although that's certainly a good suggestion it doesn't really cover their later stuff at all (obviously). For that, I'd recommend Silence is Sexy (there is a SAA3 that covers this era, but I'd avoid it until you're a bit more familiar with them). It's pretty much the pinnacle of their work in the past fifteen years or so. And if you want a studio album rather than a compilation for their early stuff, Halber Mensch might be the best to go with there. It, combined with SiS, is what got me into the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bondfool
Jul 12, 2006

Clowns can look rather intimidating, if you see a lot of them in one place.
Where do I start with the Foo Fighters? I really like the "hits" but want to go deeper.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Where do I start with the hosed up history of Cleveland garage/rock/protopunk?

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper

bondfool posted:

Where do I start with the Foo Fighters? I really like the "hits" but want to go deeper.

You can't go wrong with their first album, Foo Fighters, or their second, The Colour And The Shape. The former album's instrumentals, with one exception, were laid down entirely by Dave Grohl himself; the latter album features the Foo Fighters' debut as a band

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
nevermind shouldve read prior posts

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Where do I start with Depeche Mode? I've listened to their best of vol.1 a great deal and want to hear more. If it helps my favorite song off of it is "Enjoy the Silence".

Dracula Factory fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 14, 2008

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob

Pibborando San posted:

No one can help me? :(

I would heartily suggest The Cosmic Game by Thievery Corporation would be a beginning point. It's my favorite album by them for sure and it's what got me into them.

As for me :

Beck : I have Odelay and Guero and like them, but i'm not so sure where to go from here. From what I've read these albums sound a bit different to other stuff he's done.

almightyjimbob
Sep 6, 2004

I love pretzel day.

Taz posted:

Beck : I have Odelay and Guero and like them, but i'm not so sure where to go from here. From what I've read these albums sound a bit different to other stuff he's done.

The Information is probably your best bet, I felt like it was sort of a continuation of Guero.

Sea Change is my personal favorite, but it's quite different from those albums. More folky, more mellow, lyrics that actually make sense. Mutations is also folky, with occasional nods to alt-country, but it's more upbeat than Sea Change. Midnite Vultures is more funky and soulful, and might be a good idea to check it out after The Information. I'm not very familiar with pre-Odelay stuff.

almightyjimbob fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 14, 2008

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Don Modicum posted:

Where do I start with Depeche Mode? I've listened to their best of vol.1 a great deal and want to hear more. If it helps my favorite song off of it is "Enjoy the Silence".

That song is off Violator, which is one of their most acclaimed albums, so you may want to start there. For me, I started with Some Great Reward, and it made me a huge fan - that's one seriously good album.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

Revolutionaut posted:

Low. I already have Drums and Guns and The Great Destroyer, so I guess this is more of a "Where do I go from here?" They have a pretty daunting discography.

To be perfectly honest, if you started with those two albums then you might have a hard time getting into their earlier stuff, as The Great Destroyer kind of marked a huge shift in sound for the band. That being said, Things We Lost in the Fire is probably their best and most diverse album of their Slowcore era, and Songs for a Dead Pilot, being an EP, is also a great primer to see if you like their old sound. Trust could transition you from one Low to the other, but it's not that strong of an album, in my opinion.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
How about DJ Sets? Nothing too deep into any one scene, the ones I've found that I really liked so far were The Avalanches "Gimix", DJ Spinbads 80's mix and Justice's BBC Essential Mix. I also liked MY GAY HUSBAND's Yacht Rock mixtape...or makeout mixtape I can't remember exactly what it was.

I guess I enjoy the ones where it's the DJ's trying to feature really great songs while putting their own little theme or touch.

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo
Where do I start with Katatonia? I understand they've gone through a slow transformation in style, but are there notable standouts in their catalogue?

agro_cragg
Dec 9, 2006
Time travel to the edge of the Moon!
I'd like to know where to start with The Misfits.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

agro_cragg posted:

I'd like to know where to start with The Misfits.
The coffin box set. It'll run you around 60 bucks, but it's worth it. It's got nearly everything the original Misfits ever recorded save for Walk Among Us; all the songs from that album are still on it, just in different versions.

The box set, Walk Among Us, and the reissue of Static Age (which has a couple of tracks that aren't on the box set version) should be everything you'll ever need by the Misfits.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Don Modicum posted:

I would recommend Songs of Faith and Devotion and definitely Violater. After that Music for the Masses is also a good album. These are probably among their best albums. From there, I would probably just take up their other albums and pick off some of the songs you like. For example, Exciter is not that great of an album, but Shine is a very good song off that.

Whatever you do, don't touch Speak and Spell--everything Vince Clarke touches turns to poo poo like an anti-midas touch.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

This may be a long-shot, but is anyone knowledgeable about traditional/classical Chinese music? By that I mean mostly non-modern music that's regarded over there similar to how European classical music is regarded in the west. Western classical music can be easily learned by structuring it into periods(Medieval, Baroque, Romantic, etc...) and then looking at how things changed from period to period. Does any such structure exist for the development of highly-regarded music in China? Who are the important composers?

Youtube has a few samples of such music but without structure and context they might as well be beautiful novelty songs.

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
Where should I go next with The Flaming Lips? I got Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots for Xmas and I totally loved both of them.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

Jive One posted:

This may be a long-shot, but is anyone knowledgeable about traditional/classical Chinese music? By that I mean mostly non-modern music that's regarded over there similar to how European classical music is regarded in the west. Western classical music can be easily learned by structuring it into periods(Medieval, Baroque, Romantic, etc...) and then looking at how things changed from period to period. Does any such structure exist for the development of highly-regarded music in China? Who are the important composers?

Youtube has a few samples of such music but without structure and context they might as well be beautiful novelty songs.

I'm afraid I can't help you with names but as far as I know, Chinese society before substantial Western influence (1800-1900 onward) didn't think of their "composers" the way we venerate Brahms and Beethoven et al; my very limited understanding of pre-modern Chinese "classical" is that socially, composers were looked at like artisans/craftsmen rather than towering artists, and what has been preserved is mostly folk songs and regime-serving pieces, so you might have trouble finding the names of composers who are venerated for both technical and artistic/expressive reasons like Bach in the west. I might be completely wrong about the anonymity issue, though, so someone might be able to correct me.

I do know that you should be able to find a history of Chinese opera with a little research, which has been popular and evolving for a thousand years or more in China.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Fame Throwa posted:

Where should I go next with The Flaming Lips? I got Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots for Xmas and I totally loved both of them.

I'd check out Clouds Taste Metallic next. It's a bit more down-to-earth than the two you mentioned but it's a good way to transition to their older albums.

quote:

Chinese society before substantial Western influence (1800-1900 onward) didn't think of their "composers" the way we venerate Brahms and Beethoven et al.

I do know that you should be able to find a history of Chinese opera with a little research, which has been popular and evolving for a thousand years or more in China.

That's what I was afraid of, as I knew the visual arts were much more venerated than music was. Chinese opera always seemed interesting from what I've seen. I'll check it out and maybe a few composers' names would spring up from there.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

voland posted:

Where do I start with Katatonia? I understand they've gone through a slow transformation in style, but are there notable standouts in their catalogue?

Dance of December Souls is their debut, and without a doubt their best work to date. Their second album, Brave Murder Day, is also good. If want something good that's more recent, Viva Emptiness and The Great Cold Distance are both quality, but much different from their roots.

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

juan the owl posted:

I've been wanting to get into Louden Wainwright III. So far I've tended to like the sound of his solo acoustic and live stuff the most, but though he's only got a couple acoustic studio albums he's got a LOT of live albums. Where should I start?

It doesn't get any better than his live stuff. A Live One and So drat Happy are great all the way through. People have told me they also liked Career Moves, but it didn't do much for me personally. If you haven't heard it already, I'd also give BBC Sessions a try. It isn't live, but it's a great collection of acoustic songs.

Geb
Mar 22, 2007

A Crystal Sword?! I'm all about swords! How did you know?!
Where do I start with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? They've come highly recommended to me from several close friends.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Geb posted:

Where do I start with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? They've come highly recommended to me from several close friends.

No More Shall We Part for slow & gloomy piano stuff, Tender Prey for a bit more rock and madness, Birthday Party's live album for punk.

agro_cragg
Dec 9, 2006
Time travel to the edge of the Moon!

Moe_Rahn posted:

The coffin box set. It'll run you around 60 bucks, but it's worth it. It's got nearly everything the original Misfits ever recorded save for Walk Among Us; all the songs from that album are still on it, just in different versions.

The box set, Walk Among Us, and the reissue of Static Age (which has a couple of tracks that aren't on the box set version) should be everything you'll ever need by the Misfits.

Sorry to be a snob, but I'm kinda hurting for cash right now. I can only buy one or two albums at this point. Are there just a couple of early Misfits albums that could set me on the right path?

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

agro_cragg posted:

Sorry to be a snob, but I'm kinda hurting for cash right now. I can only buy one or two albums at this point. Are there just a couple of early Misfits albums that could set me on the right path?
In that case, go with Walk Among Us and Static Age if you think you might be able/want to spring for the box set later on. If you don't, go with Collection I and Collection II; note that if you ever do get the box set, having both of these is pretty redundant.

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away
A friend of mine is obsessed with the Mountain Goats, so I'm interested enough to check them out. Any general opinions on their work, and what albums are the best?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Sebb posted:

A friend of mine is obsessed with the Mountain Goats, so I'm interested enough to check them out. Any general opinions on their work, and what albums are the best?

I've only heard the more recent stuff - I haven't dug into the early lo-fi recordings yet. "The Sunset Tree" is what addicted me to the band, and is pretty indicative of the band's recent sound. "Tallahassee" is probably the most thematically tight album (it's more a concept album about a couple) but has some immensely great tracks. And the new one, "Heretic Pride" is pretty fantastic.

As for their older stuff, someone else will have to fill you in. Those three albums I mentioned come highly recommended, though.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Where should I start with Black Flag?

Zmev
Sep 26, 2007

Don't

rivals posted:

Where should I start with Black Flag?

Get Damaged since it's their first, biggest, and best album.

dypsomaniac
Jan 15, 2007
Beer!
For Depeche Mode you can't go wrong with Violator as a start. Every song could easily hold it's own yet stands up so well as a complete Album.

Bjork I'd Recommend both Debut and Post which haven't been mentioned yet. Her First 2 solo albums. Especially Post, which has some brilliant tracks on it.

For discovering where to start with a band i'd always recommend getting the greatest hits.. picking the tracks you like and getting the albums they're off. Generally albums follow the same style and get you in the mood for more.

Me Personally, I'd like to know where to start with Kraftwerk as I keep being recommended them but haven't had the time to look around yet.

dypsomaniac fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 17, 2008

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

dypsomaniac posted:

Me Personally, I'd like to know where to start with Kraftwerk as I keep being recommended them but haven't had the time to look around yet.

Autobahn and Computer World :)

MC Scaredabeez
Feb 10, 2008

almightyjimbob posted:

The Information is probably your best bet, I felt like it was sort of a continuation of Guero.

Sea Change is my personal favorite, but it's quite different from those albums. More folky, more mellow, lyrics that actually make sense. Mutations is also folky, with occasional nods to alt-country, but it's more upbeat than Sea Change. Midnite Vultures is more funky and soulful, and might be a good idea to check it out after The Information. I'm not very familiar with pre-Odelay stuff.

Let me add that everything else that you didn't mention is also great. I never liked Guero, and I never really got into the Information. Both of those records pale in comparison to the great Beck albums. What about his biggest hit, "Loser?" Mellow Gold is a fuckin' fantastic album. To me it's total lo-fi wackiness but mastered by some genius that knew how to make sense of it all. If you like Sea Change, you should get One Foot In the Grave. Most people who like Beck over the age of 24 or 25 will tell you how much they love this record. Also, you should check out Stereopathetic Soul Manure, a collection of One Foot/Mellow Gold b-sides. And also, look somewhere for the tracks "Steve Threw Up" and "Satan Gave Me A Taco." Mutations and Midnite Vultures are also dope. Mutations was probably the last great record he made.

That people are settling for The Info and Guero as Beck records breaks my heart.

So to recap, Beck's essentials:
Mellow Gold
One Foot in the Grave
Mutations
Odelay
Sea Change
Mindite Vultures
Stereopathetic Soul Manure

Private Snowball
Jul 22, 2007

Ride the Snide
Where does one start with Boredoms?

U.S. MAPLESTORY
Sep 29, 2006

now run and tell your mama bout that

Private Snowball posted:

Where does one start with Boredoms?

Super ae or Vision Creation Newsun for the song-oriented material, or Super Roots 7 or 9 for the long-form stuff (which I consider superior).

U.S. MAPLESTORY
Sep 29, 2006

now run and tell your mama bout that

Sebb posted:

Nine Black Poppies is a great all-killer no-filler introduction to the lo-fi work, and Tallahassee is the best thing he's ever done. That's how I got introduced. Once you get a feel for how Darnielle writes songs, you realize that (A) they all essentially have the same foundation, and (B) they're all loving great -- at which point you can more or less take your pick of the catalogue.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

TOO MANY CATS posted:

Super ae or Vision Creation Newsun for the song-oriented material, or Super Roots 7 or 9 for the long-form stuff (which I consider superior).

Chocolate Synthetizer and Pop Tatari for field recordings from an insane asylum in outer space.

asjbfoo
Mar 30, 2007
Tangerine Dream? I have Force Majeure on vinyl, which I quite enjoyed.

Stan Baniszewski
Jul 3, 2007

asjbfoo posted:

Tangerine Dream? I have Force Majeure on vinyl, which I quite enjoyed.

Go with the first four albums (Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Zeit & Atem) which are true masterpieces of kosmische musik. Their subsequent records vary from passable to awful.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
How 'bout W.A.S.P. and Kyuss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
What's a good starting point for The Afghan Whigs?