Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mastodon have changed so much over the years I don't think one can say they have a "typical sound" (although their last three albums are a lot more homogenous than their first four). But yes if Toe to Toes is your entry point I'd work backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Turbinosamente posted:

It was this cheap cash in greatest hits CD, the type you see in major retailers that still bother to carry CDs. Trying to plow through 34 tracks at once may not have been the smartest idea on my part, probably why they began to run together too much. But thank you all for the suggestions to chew on: I usually do better listening to original albums than greatest hits anyways. The only exception to this is Steppenwolf for some reason I haven't quite figured out.

I know this is real old, but the thing about classic Priest is that they basically did 3 kinds of songs:

1) Stuff that was really aggressive metal/speed metal for that time - Dissident Aggressor, Exciter, The Hellion/Electric Eye, Riding on the Wind, Screaming for Vengeance, Freewheel Burning, Ram It Down, most of the Painkiller album
2) More "epic" metal songs like Victim of Changes, Blood Red Skies, some other stuff I forget
3) Pop-metal stuff like Breaking the Law, You Got Another Thing Coming, Heading Out to the Highway, Hot Rockin', Living After Midnight, Turbo Lover, etc.

The greatest hits albums usually have some of 1) and 2) and ALL of 3) so they can sound very same-y for long stretches.

The most consistently hard-hitting Preist albums of the 80s are Defenders of the Faith and Screaming for Vengeance, and as people noted earlier Painkiller rules.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

Kvlt! posted:

I'd also reccomend Ulver's The Assassination of Julius Caesar if you like electronic music in any capacity. It's influence is far more Depeche Mode than say, Aphex Twin, but it's an absolute masterpiece start to finish and I'm sure you'd enjoy it based on some other stuff you've mentioned you like.

I like this album quite a bit, thanks! This album really evokes a strong feeling of dread. Going to check out JK Flesh too.

Nobody asked but I quite liked Working Men's Club's self-titled album, also electronic but not as evocative.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Where do I start with aggrotech
Also where do I start with neofolk

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

evilpicard posted:

Also where do I start with neofolk
Pretty much Current 93, Sol Invictus and Death In June.

For Current 93 I'd start with Thunder Perfect Mind. That's also right in the middle of what I'd call their neofolkiest period, which ranges roughly from Imperium to Soft Black Stars. Everything from that period is pretty great, so if you like Thunder Perfect Mind you can pretty much just oscillate back and forth in their chronology until it gets too industrial or too ambient for you. Use the list of primary albums on their wikipedia page as a guide, they infamously have a shitton of releases.

For Death In June I'd say But, What Ends When The Symbols Shatter?; or this youtube playlist of a 2002 live show actually makes for a very good starting point too.

I feel like I shouldn't fail to at least mention the genre's association with right-wing ideology, whether through fanbase or artists. It kinda comes with the territory of thematically dealing with paganism, occultism, esotericism, runes etc. Not unlike getting into black metal, you're inevitably gonna run into some dodgy stuff. Maybe leave Death In June alone right from the start if that's a dealbreaker issue for you.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Pretty much Current 93, Sol Invictus and Death In June.

For Current 93 I'd start with Thunder Perfect Mind. That's also right in the middle of what I'd call their neofolkiest period, which ranges roughly from Imperium to Soft Black Stars. Everything from that period is pretty great, so if you like Thunder Perfect Mind you can pretty much just oscillate back and forth in their chronology until it gets too industrial or too ambient for you. Use the list of primary albums on their wikipedia page as a guide, they infamously have a shitton of releases.

For Death In June I'd say But, What Ends When The Symbols Shatter?; or this youtube playlist of a 2002 live show actually makes for a very good starting point too.

I feel like I shouldn't fail to at least mention the genre's association with right-wing ideology, whether through fanbase or artists. It kinda comes with the territory of thematically dealing with paganism, occultism, esotericism, runes etc. Not unlike getting into black metal, you're inevitably gonna run into some dodgy stuff. Maybe leave Death In June alone right from the start if that's a dealbreaker issue for you.

These are the big three that you really have to know, and since this post didn't talk about Sol Invictus my suggestion for the best album there is In The Rain, which is easily the best thing the project ever recorded. If that album is too lush for you go backwards because it gets punkier the closer you get to the 80s. More recent albums range from quite good to ok but many of them are skippable. Apart from the big three I'd suggest the first Nature and Organisation album and The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud as being really standout things from that scene worth listening to.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 13, 2021

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm aware of the, let's say, problematic reputation, as long as it's more "the pretty little horsies are dead" and less "Hail Europa,
vigil and victory!" it doesn't bother me too much.

Thanks for the high quality posts guys, I'm gonna dig into this over the weekend.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Myrkur

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Well, there are only 3 albums and a couple EPs. M is the straight up blackened metal album, Mareridt has a little of that but it's scaled back dramatically, and Folkesange is just what it says on the tin - pure folk album with no metal to be found altogether. Pick your poison basically.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Fenrir posted:

Well, there are only 3 albums and a couple EPs. M is the straight up blackened metal album, Mareridt has a little of that but it's scaled back dramatically, and Folkesange is just what it says on the tin - pure folk album with no metal to be found altogether. Pick your poison basically.

Which one is the shoegazey one?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
There's a shoegazey one?

I guess M and Mareridt have a few bits that kinda border that (Mareridt more so) but yeah that's not the word I'd really use for her stuff.

e: I mean, there is this on the s/t, I guess I didn't think of it right away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjdkEj_DD6g

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 15, 2021

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes
What are everyone's thoughts for Soundgarden?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Start with Badmotorfinger and move forward in time. The two albums before that are for big fans only.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seksiness posted:

What are everyone's thoughts for Soundgarden?

You cannot go wrong with Badmotorfinger or Superunknown. The former is the heavier of the two, while the latter is more psychedelic (though there are several heavy songs and Superunknown and several more psychedelic songs on Badmotorfinger). Between them you have most of the band's hits and Cornell at the peak of his vocal powers, and for my money they're two of the best albums of all time.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Be also sure to track down "Temple of the Dog" while you're at it if you like Soundgarden. They only put out the one self-titled album.

And then Audioslave. :mrgw:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i actually really like down on the upside, though it's obviously still not as good as the two albums before it

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure, seriously no irony, there is even a bad track on Superunknown.

But there are some incredible bangers on Badmotofinger too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
took me a few minutes after first logging on this morning to realise no one wants Savage Garden recommendations

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

took me a few minutes after first logging on this morning to realise no one wants Savage Garden recommendations
… I would fly you to the moon and back
If you'll be
If you'll be my baby

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

algebra testes posted:

… I would fly you to the moon and back
If you'll be
If you'll be my baby

Any time I need to see your face
I just close my eyes and I am taken to a place
Where your crystal mind and magenta feelings taken shelter
In the base of my spine, sweet like a chica cherry cola

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Zaphod42 posted:

Any time I need to see your face
I just close my eyes and I am taken to a place
Where your crystal mind and magenta feelings taken shelter
In the base of my spine, sweet like a chica cherry cola

Hey man that song kicks

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hey man that song kicks

drat straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSHsPtUMDBs

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I knew that song from Jojo.

But I hate the way the guy says "Tru-ly mad-ly deep-ly"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ultrafilter posted:

Start with Badmotorfinger and move forward in time. The two albums before that are for big fans only.

FWIW I really like Louder than Love, but Badmotorfinger is definitely the best intro. Either Rusty Cage makes you a fan or just go try something else.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Louder Than Love is the only Soundgarden album I can stand, but I saw them touring in support of that album so I'm probably biased. I thought they went downhill after that, got too bombastic. What I'm saying is check out Louder Than Love, it's got some good songs on it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I just listened to It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back by Public Enemy, and I plan to listen to Fear Of A Black Planet soon, but is there anything else worth checking out by them?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

I just listened to It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back by Public Enemy, and I plan to listen to Fear Of A Black Planet soon, but is there anything else worth checking out by them?

Apocalypse 91. I actually prefer it to FoaBP. A lot of people also like Yo! Bum Rush the Show, but they took a tremendous leap between it and Nation of Millions. It very much sounds like it’s from 1987 whereas the big ones are timeless.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

FoaBP has the highest highs (Terrordome and Fight the Power are all time greats), Nation of Millions is the most consistently good, the rest are lesser works imo.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Busta Rhymes? I was just listening to Scenario by Tribe Called Quest and I want more like his part.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

me your dad posted:

Busta Rhymes? I was just listening to Scenario by Tribe Called Quest and I want more like his part.

Either Extinction Level Event or The Coming (specifically Woo Hah, his maybe best known song.)

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I second Extinction Level Event for Busta. You’ll at least want to go with one of his first three albums.

Can anyone give some pointers for Phillip Glass? I’m intrigued, but don’t know where to go.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Glassworks and the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack are two of his most famous works.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

ultrafilter posted:

Definitely these two to start.

I would also recommend Powaqqatsi and Kronos Quartet Performs Phillip Glass.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Yup, and I'd definitely add The Photographer soundtrack also. I was fortunate enough to see the show back in the day, and it was stunning. Mishima soundtrack has its moments too.

I also like Passages, his "collaboration" with Ravi Shankar (they cover each other's compositions)... It's not as exciting as the idea may initially suggest, but it has grown on me over the years. Your mileage may vary.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Thelonious Monk? I've heard a couple bits and pieces here and there, Misterioso absolutely earwormed me in a college course, but I don't know much overall.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like live albums for Jazz, and as such Live at the It Club and Live at the Jazz Workshop are solid entries.

Aside from just swinging like a rusty gate, its also the full gamut of Monk, him getting up and dancing during the solos (piano just stops and its drum bass and sax), him going "We're in Bb so we are playing Straight No Chaser" when in fact they are playing Blue Monk and the band hurridly changing song to follow him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hexwren posted:

Thelonious Monk? I've heard a couple bits and pieces here and there, Misterioso absolutely earwormed me in a college course, but I don't know much overall.

Brilliant Corners

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

hexwren posted:

If you can find it, Who’s Afraid of the Big Band Monk is really interesting and unusual.

Aside from that, Straight, No Chaser, Brilliant Corners, and Monk’s Music are the cornerstones.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I like live albums for Jazz,

I mean it would be really weird if you didn't, they're extremely important to jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

For Monk I like the aforementioned Straight, No Chaser and Monk's Dream. Also, his album with Coltrane is pretty great.

For live Monk, maybe check out Paris, 1969?