Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Taylor Swift

I've skimmed her wikipedia page, she's done a lot of different stuff, and had a big impact. I'm happy to pick 2 to span part of the range.

A bit late. Start with 1989 and then go anywhere. Folklore and Repetition are my personal favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Terminally Bored posted:

JPEGmafia and modern experimental/abstract hip hop in general? I just discovered billy woods, Brian Ennals and Danny Brown and want more a RIYL on these names

Peggy and Danny released a collab album this year, "Scaring The Hoes" and it's great check it out

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Strange Cares posted:

drat, thanks for the incredibly comprehensive response! Excited to check all these out.

Also don't sleep on Billy Childish.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm worried that this act is gonna be one of those 'only really good with a few singles' acts but I figured it can't hurt to ask: The Pointer Sisters. I like "Jump" and "I'm So Excited", anything else worth noting?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

screenwritersblues posted:

A bit late. Start with 1989 and then go anywhere. Folklore and Repetition are my personal favorites.

Thanks for the reinforcement of the decision I made a bit ago: I picked up 1989 (Taylor's Version) and Midnights (3am version). I'm really digging her stuff, and I'll have to remember to pick up a couple more later.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Junpei posted:

I'm worried that this act is gonna be one of those 'only really good with a few singles' acts but I figured it can't hurt to ask: The Pointer Sisters. I like "Jump" and "I'm So Excited", anything else worth noting?

You're gonna love "Neutron Dance" and "He's So Shy".

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Strange Cares posted:

drat, thanks for the incredibly comprehensive response! Excited to check all these out.

Nuggets is great, but if you want some more unhinged, proto-punkier garage, definitely try the mentioned "Pebbles" compilations. There's a cottage industry of these compulations, and there are diminishing returns once you're into like "Dust Volume 6: Son of The Bride of Nuggets" or whatever, but anything from Nuggets or Pebbles will have something you're after.

Also, "Black Monk Time" by The Monks and the first Sonics record, for sure for the cream of unhinged 60s garage.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This is for a producer, and not as an artist in himself, so: Timbaland.

I'm already familiar with his 2007 imperial year as the mastermind behind FutureSex/LoveSounds and Loose, and I know prior to that point he was Missy Elliot's producer, plus he worked with Aaliyah right before she passed away. Any other albums or good one-offs he's known for producing?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ministry?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Psalm 69 if you want what they're famous for.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Psalm 69 first, then Land of Rape and Honey and The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste if you want more.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Psalm 69 first, then Land of Rape and Honey and The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste if you want more.

Yeah, these are the big three, not much of interest after that. That said, looking earlier, I am fond of Twitch. It hits a techno sweet spot that I enjoy, between the dire synth-pop of With Sympathy and the aggression yet to come.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Sir Nose posted:

Yeah, these are the big three, not much of interest after that. That said, looking earlier, I am fond of Twitch. It hits a techno sweet spot that I enjoy, between the dire synth-pop of With Sympathy and the aggression yet to come.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I only know Jesus Built my Hotrod, Thieves and Just one Fix maybe I should listen to them too.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Sir Nose posted:

I kinda dig With Sympathy.

Their 12" collection fucks tho.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I kinda dig With Sympathy.

was going to troll the thread with "With Sympathy and stop there 💅🏻🥀" but it really is a certain kind of synthpop goth's delight. could never get into their later stuff, but also enjoy the classic industrial / EBM vibes on Twitch

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

DasNeonLicht posted:

was going to troll the thread with "With Sympathy and stop there 💅🏻🥀" but it really is a certain kind of synthpop goth's delight. could never get into their later stuff, but also enjoy the classic industrial / EBM vibes on Twitch

Yeah, Revenge is a legit banger, but it’s just so different from anything else they did.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Ah, fond memories of being woken up way too early during a camping trip age 13 or 14 by a crappy CD player blasting out Jesus Built My Hotrod, and better memories of a couple of years later when I could blast Just One Fix way too loud from a crappy factory-installed car stereo.

OK, switching gears here: The Pogues - should I just start with Rum Sodomy & the Lash and go from there?

And another one: INXS?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Ah, fond memories of being woken up way too early during a camping trip age 13 or 14 by a crappy CD player blasting out Jesus Built My Hotrod, and better memories of a couple of years later when I could blast Just One Fix way too loud from a crappy factory-installed car stereo.

OK, switching gears here: The Pogues - should I just start with Rum Sodomy & the Lash and go from there?

pogues: the first one isn't bad either, and waiting for herb (one of their last ones, without shane) is one of my favorites, so don't fall into the myth of "it's a band of guys propped up by a genius"

inxs: i like the earlier stuff better than the later stuff, i think "don't change" was one of the best singles anyone cut in the decade, but the kick LP from a few years later is the big big big hit record, and i do like it more the older i get...

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ExecuDork posted:

For the Pogues - I would argue that If I Should Fall From Grace With God is their best album and probably where I would have most people start off. It’s a good cross section of their career, and is also the point where they expand their sound a bit.

Red Roses For Me and RSatL are a bit more heavily influenced by Irish folk (not that they ever weren’t) and are a little bit rougher around the edges overall, which really gives the songs a bit of an extra bite. Both are good records with enough strong material to surpass other bands in amount. Hell’s Ditch and Peace & Love branch out further, and are more professional in their quality, but the rough edge is still there. But you can see them going into new territory with “Summer in Siam,” “Misty Morning, Albert Bridge,” and “Sunny Side of the Street.”

The post Shane albums, the last two, aren’t embarrassments. Remember, there were other song writers other than Shane in the band. They just… they’re a different a band. I wouldn’t send a first time listener there. Take in the Shane years, including non album tracks like “Rainy Night in SoHo,” and “The Irish Rover” that they did with the Dubliners, and then look at those last two albums. There’s good stuff, but it’s not as good as the Shane stuff.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Thanks for the Ministry recs. The big three albums were in fact great.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Thanks for the Ministry recs. The big three albums were in fact great.

I'd say that Filth Pig has some value (even if it's lesser than the big three). I don't think I bothered with anything after Dark Side of The Spoon.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I have a broad one: where do I start learning what all the different subgenera of electronic music are? I'll go to a party or a festival and can pick out sets I really like/dislike/enjoy dancing to/enjoy chilling to but have no vocabulary to articulate it. Is there a solid explainer video series or podcast that does a bird's eye view of boots and pants as a whole?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Back in the day Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music was the definitive resource. I have no idea how current it is, but I'd trust it for anything up to about 2000 for sure.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Even as someone who was hip-deep in an EDM scene at the time, it was quite useful for learning about the origins of house and trance music and even turned me on to some specific bands and trends.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

theflyingexecutive posted:

I have a broad one: where do I start learning what all the different subgenera of electronic music are? I'll go to a party or a festival and can pick out sets I really like/dislike/enjoy dancing to/enjoy chilling to but have no vocabulary to articulate it. Is there a solid explainer video series or podcast that does a bird's eye view of boots and pants as a whole?

This requires engagement on your part, but https://everynoise.com/ is one of my favorite music discovery sources. If you can remember an artist you liked at a festival, just plug their name in and start there. It's exhaustive, pedantic, and redundant, but I've found lots of artists and keywords at least to feed into Wikipedia and Youtube there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's exhaustive, pedantic, and redundant,
They specifically asked about subgenres of electronic music.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScientist/guide-to-electronic-music-timeline-and-styles/

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I will cosign Ishkur. All genre talk seems inherently silly and imprecise, but I don't know of anyone else who has put as much time, thought, and organization into it as he has, at his degree of breadth, so his site is as good a place to start as any.

Since he updated it about five years ago, it's super comprehensive but also super overwhelming. If you poke around enough you can see he's embedded links to his own mixes in the descriptions of a few of the major genres and styles, but you can also go to his mixcloud and browse what he has there. They are pretty well mixed and more fun to listen to than the short little clips he has on his site. His written descriptions are hilarious, though, so don't skip those entirely.

For example: If you're into tiktok, Chris Michael's videos are nice short little explainers too.

Halloween Jack posted:

Even as someone who was hip-deep in an EDM scene at the time, it was quite useful for learning about the origins of house and trance music and even turned me on to some specific bands and trends.
To Halloween Jack's point about origins, I have really enjoyed these explainers about house music: Lastly, they are a bit dated, thin, or disorganized, but Resident Advisor has some good genre sampler playlists on Spotify:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Halloween Jack posted:

They specifically asked about subgenres of electronic music.

Lol yeah, that's why I felt ok posting that link. Anytime someone asks about different electronic or metal subgenres, I post that.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Think this is legitimately one of the best threads to come out of SA
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420553

Obviously uk-themed but maybe that's a good thing. I think reading a history lesson is better than every single genre on ishkur's site.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I will say if you want to dig into electronic for the sheer hell of it, the 57 different subgenres of house are where some of the most interesting sounds and history are for me. Especially the earliest American house like Detroit stuff. And deep house. Anything with a lot of soul and r&b samples.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Thanks for all the helpful and varied opinions! I definitely want to dig into the roots and history of electronic music but do it from the music first before jumping into a book or really long thread. Is there a millennial Ken Burns for electronic music?

Part of my frustration is that I used to be able to key into "deep house" as a reliable go-to for years, but it seems to have ended up as a life raft term for pop musicians trying to escape the EDM label and is pretty meaningless now. The other part is that when I'm listening to electronic music, I'm unwilling and/or unable to get my phone out to save titles and artists for later. So I can't even say, "oh I like music that sounds like this artist/track".

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

hifi posted:

Think this is legitimately one of the best threads to come out of SA
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420553

Obviously uk-themed but maybe that's a good thing. I think reading a history lesson is better than every single genre on ishkur's site.

First up, big up any of the ol' UKB thread crew in the area! They know the score. Consistently laying waste with superior taste.

Ishkur may be good for a laugh, but in my non-professional opinion it still total poo poo, taken from a poo poo viewpoint of some random American guy in the early 00s who seemed to know everything by the rack they were placed in the Virgin Megastore. Actually you'd probably have more look rifling through the racks at the Virgin Megastore then you would with Ishkur. The early 00s version of someone using the term EDM. If they use it seriously you can't trust 'em!

To be slightly serious for a brief second, one positive thing I will say about Ishkur's Guide at least, is that I will give them credit that they've always at least had some sections detailing some of the influences stretching back to the 50s/60s/70s. Whether exactly correct, or with the right music attached to them or whatever.

Thanks for all the helpful and varied opinions! I definitely want to dig into the roots and history of electronic music but do it from the music first before jumping into a book or really long thread. Is there a millennial Ken Burns for electronic music?

Part of my frustration is that I used to be able to key into "deep house" as a reliable go-to for years, but it seems to have ended up as a life raft term for pop musicians trying to escape the EDM label and is pretty meaningless now. The other part is that when I'm listening to electronic music, I'm unwilling and/or unable to get my phone out to save titles and artists for later. So I can't even say, "oh I like music that sounds like this artist/track".

There's been many, many different books and documentaries about various different sounds, scenes and genres throughout the years. You've hit the problem though of what constitutes a starting point and what you consider the lineage of a sound. The North American experience was vastly different to what we had here in the UK, to what they had in continental Europe. Hell, the New York City experience is way different to what 99% of cities in America would've experienced in terms of dance music. We're now at 40+ years of dance music history so this has become a very busy and complicated beast.

Anyway, if you're looking at it dance music 'history', and don't mind looking at it from a UK/Europe end of thing, where if you roughly (not accurately) decide that okay, if we think of what we now have a modern dance music as a development from House and then Acid House off that (myself and many, many others will disagree but for this purpose...), an old compilation I always recommend is BCM Record's old classic The History of the House Sound of Chicago that was put out way, way back in '88/89. Originally a 12xLP boxset, it got a couple extra discs to cover some of the post-'Second Summer of Love' developments. You'll never find the original CD copies cheap, and the LP boxset while a bit cheaper suffer from sticking 4-5 tracks on a single side.

Anyway, luckily you can still either get it from your fav dodgy music download site, or as it's the year 2024 some dude on Youtube has created a playlist of all the individual songs. Or most of them anyway from what I can see at first glance. The only issue with this playlist is well, it's a continuous playlist. Breaking it down by individual LP/CD which each had their own appropriate title might make it a bit more understandable.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAT4BYuk_sA9XQD5pOSQ-CETlPwSeZZHf&si=TqHOZVNEJLxjeFhZ

Now the reason I love this old comp and why I recommend it, is it was one of the few - at least up until fairly recently - that put in tunes from pre-House/post-American 'death' of disco era with your Jazz-Funk/Boogie/Italo-Disco/New York dance music scene etc etc. The first two plates covering those tunes. Then it goes into early Trax/DJ International/Underground label releases as well as a bunch of other Chicago (or Chicago-adjacent anyway) releases. Then it works it way through early UK/European House artists, the Acid stuff, what was Deep House when it originally came about, touching into Detroit stuff etc. It's not perfect, it's a relic of its era but one I always recommend.

Nothing pops out of nowhere, or develops in a total sterile environment. Dance music was and is a continuous development and amalgamations of various scenes, sounds, peoples and cultures (largely of black music) dating back 40/50 year plus now. Some absolutely heavenly stuff has appeared over the years, and some absolutely loving diabolical music has also been made. Being extremely biased here, since the death of the old UK Bass thread the bad far, far outweighs the good on NMD.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Where do I start with Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus, respectively? For context, I'm not a huge jazz-head, I tend to like Japanese stuff from the 70s and 80s like Nio & Pigeon and Hip Cruiser.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Strange Cares posted:

Where do I start with Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus, respectively? For context, I'm not a huge jazz-head, I tend to like Japanese stuff from the 70s and 80s like Nio & Pigeon and Hip Cruiser.

Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus
Ah Um

For Monk, Straight No Chaser and Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane.

For both of those, no reason other than they're my personal favorites and have some of the songs they're best known for.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Strange Cares posted:

For Mingus, you can’t go wrong with either of the two mid-50’s releases on Atlantic, Pithecanthropus Erectus and The Clown. The title track on P.E. is crazy and moody and intense post-bop that swings the whole time even when it dips into avant garde. On the Clown, Haitian Fight Song is just one of the catchiest tunes ever written. The late 50s Columbia records are great too, I might prefer Dynasty to Ah Um, but theyre both very good. What I would really recommend checking out is Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus. It’s a quartet with Mingus, Dolphy, Ted Curson, and Dannie Richmond. No piano. It has some of the feel of the 5 piece band he’d tour all over with in a couple years and has probably the best version of Fables of Faubus that you can easily find and a crazy call and response between Mingus and Dolphy on What Love that’s like 2 people fighting. It’s a must listen.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Continuing on the jazz tip, where should I get my feet wet with Alice Coltrane?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 25, 2024

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oooh I don't know if this is the right answer, but I've been getting into her and listening to Journey in Satchidananda a lot lately. It's soooo good and Pharoah Sanders is on sax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For Mingus please listen to Charles Mingus presents Charles Mingus which is a fake live album that includes Original Faubus Fables (with Lyrics!) and All The Things You Could Be By Now If Sigmund Freud's Wife Was Your Mother.

Monk I'd recommend Live At The It Club, has most of the Monk standards along with classic monk-isms like vamping for a a while and just stopping playing and dancing, and forgetting what tune the band was playing after the drum solo.