Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

trans fat posted:

Where do I start with The Monkees?

I had heard of them before, but only that they were just a sixties pop group. I recently got Wii Music and the song Daydream Believer is on there and wow. The Monkees rock. Do I just want The Birds, the Bees, and the Monkees or is there anything else golden?

The band's best albums are probably Headquarters, Pisces Aquarius Capricorn and Jones Ltd., and Head. From there, a compilation would probably work best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008
Where do I start with Patti Smith?

Guerilla
Mar 6, 2005

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I.

Criminal Minded posted:

Where do I dive in with The Fall? That's one dauntingly large discography they've got.
Seconding "This Nation's Saving Grace" and suggesting "Perverted By Language". I'm particularly fond of the latter, it was the first album of theirs/his I ever heard. It's really ornery, aggressive and even humorous. It's also one of the few times I really enjoy the reissue, because it contains some of the best songs from that era: "Kicker Conspiracy" and "Wings".

Programmable Soda posted:

"Horses" obviously! It's just really great, classic, powerful Patti. I'm pretty fond of "Radio Ethiopia" as well, but others are pretty lukewarm on it.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
Where do I start with The Roots? Sorry if it's been asked before, it's been a while since I read through this thread.

e: Also, Fela Kuti, his discography is huge.

Fodder Cannon fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 4, 2008

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
For Fela, I honestly don't think I've heard anything of his I haven't liked yet. I guess I'd probably start with Expensive poo poo, though there might be others who know more about his discography than I do.

conrack
Oct 4, 2006
Post was unnecessarily long and pointless.

Where should I start with new music in general? Give me examples of good rock bands, good electronic music, and underground good stuff.

conrack fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 4, 2008

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Fodder Cannon posted:

Anything after 1969 really. Shakara is my favourite but it's all good.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

conrack posted:

Post was unnecessarily long and pointless.

Where should I start with new music in general? Give me examples of good rock bands, good electronic music, and underground good stuff.

Idgi, do you not listen to any music at all?

And if you do listen to some stuff, you're going to have to tell us what you like so that we can recommend something you might like. Given how the quality of "good" is so subjective with regards to music, it's impossible to just give you a list of "good" bands.

conrack
Oct 4, 2006

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Idgi, do you not listen to any music at all?

And if you do listen to some stuff, you're going to have to tell us what you like so that we can recommend something you might like. Given how the quality of "good" is so subjective with regards to music, it's impossible to just give you a list of "good" bands.

Yeah, the original post was a list of my cd book and how antiquated it is. I don't drive (woohoo city life, bike and iPod), I don't read magazines, and I don't watch music television. I like songs in some movies but have never looked up artists or song names.

My CD Book is as follows...

Hendrix (4), the Beatles (6), Incubus (3), Zeppelin (4), Outkast (4), Nirvana (2), Silverchair (1), Mos Def and Talib Kweli (2), Smashing Pumpkins (5), Robert Johnson (2), DMX (3), Son House (2), the White Stripes (6), Ludacris (4), Billie Holiday (2), Elmore James (1), Biggie (3), Mobb Deep (1), the Black Keys (4), Radiohead (4), random lesser known blues guys, and random bands from the 60's-70's (Ant Trip Ceremony?)

conrack fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 5, 2008

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away

conrack posted:

Yeah, the original post was a list of my cd book and how antiquated it is. I don't drive (woohoo city life, bike and iPod), I don't read magazines, and I don't watch music television. I like songs in some movies but have never looked up artists or song names.

My CD Book is as follows...

Hendrix (4), the Beatles (6), Incubus (3), Zeppelin (4), Outkast (4), Nirvana (2), Silverchair (1), Mos Def and Talib Kweli (2), Smashing Pumpkins (5), Robert Johnson (2), DMX (3), Son House (2), the White Stripes (6), Ludacris (4), Billie Holiday (2), Elmore James (1), Biggie (3), Mobb Deep (1), the Black Keys (4), Radiohead (4), random lesser known blues guys, and random bands from the 60's-70's (Ant Trip Ceremony?)

When you're asking something that general it's kinda hard to just give you recommendations right off the bat. What I would recommend however is getting a last.fm account - it'll record all that you listen to and suggest new bands for you to try out. You can also just delve into similar artists and neighbours with similar taste and all sorts of stuff, and listen to the bands you're interested in right on the site itself. Pretty invaluable.

conrack
Oct 4, 2006

Sebb posted:

When you're asking something that general it's kinda hard to just give you recommendations right off the bat. What I would recommend however is getting a last.fm account - it'll record all that you listen to and suggest new bands for you to try out. You can also just delve into similar artists and neighbours with similar taste and all sorts of stuff, and listen to the bands you're interested in right on the site itself. Pretty invaluable.

Yeah, I knew it was really a shot in the dark, and its why I deleted the request in the first place. Last.fm sounds like the best bet. I've tapped my neighbors for blues recommendations, and all my friends are solely hip-hop heads.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Where should I start with some good old classic Blues?

conrack
Oct 4, 2006

Brownie posted:

When delving into the blues, you will be getting a lot of comprehensive collections of their works. With recordings from the early stages being so sparse, most artists catalogs have been released lately on two-cd sets, or something of the like. It can be hard to listen to sometimes, with the technology being so new at the time, but its invaluable to me as a fledgling blues guitar player. I'm just sad I started so late in my life. Some staples should include...

Robert Johnson - Complete Recordings
Sonny Boy Williamson - The Real Folk Blues
Son House - Delta Blues and Spirituals
Elmore James - The Sky is Crying

Of course you have any of the collections of Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Willie Dixon, or Blind Willie McTell, or any other "Blind" blues guy. There must've been something in Mississippi water that was making all these guys blind.

Hound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers - Self-Titled is one of my favorite 70's-on blues albums. The White Stripes and the Black Keys are some bands around now that draw heavily on the blues, but I think the Black Keys have more raw blues energy in their music. Chulahoma - The Songs of Junior Kimbrough EP was excellent. I've been meaning to check out some Junior Kimbrough records, but have been broke as poo poo lately.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Brownie posted:

Everything posted above is true, and for some additional resources here's a listening list from a class I took on the history of blues.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=243468ea276691ddd2db6fb9a8902bda

This will help with learning the different styles as well as which artists work within them.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

moosey posted:

Where do I start with:
John Prine?
The self-titled album. It's got "Sam Stone", "Illegal Smile", and "Hello In There", among other great songs.

Edit: Doh, that was a really old post.

Fodder Cannon posted:

Expensive poo poo and Zombie are great.

Feedbacker fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 7, 2008

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

grazim posted:

Expensive poo poo and Zombie are great.

And by far his most popular albums despite being no way substantially greater than anything else of his '70s output... what a coincidence.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Speaking of The Fall, Hex Enduction Hour is another excellent album (it's my personal favourite, although I like TNSG a lot as well). Getting 50K Fall Fans is probably the best way to get into them - it's what I did, and now I loving love The Fall. (Should probably listen to their later stuff more, though).

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Jive One and Conrack posted:

Some Helpful :words:

Thanks guys. I'll be using this mainly to learn how to actually play blues, so both your posts are really helpful. Thanks again.

RaoulDuke
May 6, 2007

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.
Neil Young never really got answered a few pages back.
Especially his slower, more countryish stuff rather than the real electric guitar driven, I have the greatest hits album and like that much more.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

RaoulDuke posted:

Neil Young never really got answered a few pages back.
Especially his slower, more countryish stuff rather than the real electric guitar driven, I have the greatest hits album and like that much more.

If you're interested in his countryish material, Harvest is really the de-facto starting point.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Where would you start with Sun Ra?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fodder Cannon posted:

Where do I start with The Roots? Sorry if it's been asked before, it's been a while since I read through this thread.

Things Fall Apart.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Where do I start with Plaid?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Where would I start if I liked Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and the Downward Spiral by NIN and I want to find music similar to it by different artists? I guess "where do I start with industrial" but hell if I know that's what people call it these days.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
If anyone wants to start with noise or power electronics, here's what I'd reccomend.

Throbbing Gristle - D.O.A. The Third and Final Annual Report
Wolf Eyes - Rotten Mind
Merzbow - Amlux
Merzbow - Merzbird
Genocide Organ - In Konflikt

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DrPop posted:

Where would I start if I liked Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and the Downward Spiral by NIN and I want to find music similar to it by different artists? I guess "where do I start with industrial" but hell if I know that's what people call it these days.

If you're not familiar with Ministry, you should be. Psalm 69 is a fantastic album.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Which Best-of compilation/box-set should I get by Frank Sinatra?

For reference, my favorite songs of his are Fly Me To The Moon and My Way

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak
So, I heard a sonic youth song on the juno soundtrack and on I'm not there, and i'm digging those songs.
Where should i start with them albumwise.
It seems they have a big discography.

WantlessPonder
Apr 4, 2007

Kinda like a pint a Guinness.
Where do I start with: Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd (already got DSOTM)? Been planning to get into these bands/artists for a looong time now. Decided now's a good a time as any.

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak

WantlessPonder posted:

Where do I start with: Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd (already got DSOTM)? Been planning to get into these bands/artists for a looong time now. Decided now's a good a time as any.

Seriously, read the thread before you post, these have all been gone over a hundred times.

The Wall,Axis:Bold As Love, BLonde on Blonde imho

nateryt
Dec 20, 2008

Juttman posted:

Which Best-of compilation/box-set should I get by Frank Sinatra?

For reference, my favorite songs of his are Fly Me To The Moon and My Way

I am also very interested in Sinatra, but I am looking for albums, not compilations/greatest hits or whatever. I'd really like some opinions on this, what I've heard of him was pretty amazing.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

DrPop posted:

Ministry has already been mentioned. Go with Psalm 69 to start you off. Also, go for Skinny Puppy's VIVIsectVI or Too Dark Park. Front 242 brings oldies, but goldies, with their Front By Front album. Also, Einstürzende Neubauten with Halbermensch might fall into place.

Tweaker1 posted:

So, I heard a sonic youth song on the juno soundtrack and on I'm not there, and i'm digging those songs.

Not too familiar with them, but I have Goo and Daydream Nation, which both are great.

WantlessPonder posted:

Pink Floyd (already got DSOTM)?

The Wall and Wish You Were Here, then work yourself backwards.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Tweaker1 posted:

I divide Sonic Youth into three periods - the self-titled EP through Sister is their No-Wave influenced period, most of that stuff is pretty discordant and you'd probably have to work up to those. My favorite album from that era is EVOL.

The string of albums from Daydream Nation through Washing Machine is their most commercial-sounding and popular period, I adore Goo, but Washing Machine contains possibly their best song ever, The Diamond Sea. Dirty is another excellent album, as is Daydream Nation. You really can't go wrong with anything from this timeframe.

The later albums, A Thousand Leaves through Sonic Nurse are a mixed bunch - a ton of softer songs and gentler noodling. None of it is bad, but there's less songcraft here, IMHO. Their newest studio work Rather Ripped is sort of a return to the Goo era - shorter, more concise songs with obvious melodies, I liked it a lot.

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak

JnnyThndrs posted:

I divide Sonic Youth into three periods - the self-titled EP through Sister is their No-Wave influenced period, most of that stuff is pretty discordant and you'd probably have to work up to those. My favorite album from that era is EVOL.

The string of albums from Daydream Nation through Washing Machine is their most commercial-sounding and popular period, I adore Goo, but Washing Machine contains possibly their best song ever, The Diamond Sea. Dirty is another excellent album, as is Daydream Nation. You really can't go wrong with anything from this timeframe.

The later albums, A Thousand Leaves through Sonic Nurse are a mixed bunch - a ton of softer songs and gentler noodling. None of it is bad, but there's less songcraft here, IMHO. Their newest studio work Rather Ripped is sort of a return to the Goo era - shorter, more concise songs with obvious melodies, I liked it a lot.

I don't know where this one fits, but I ended up getting both "Confusion is Sex/Kill Yr. Idols" and "Washing Machine", I'm thinking I like "Washing Machine" more right now.

Thanks!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Where do I start with Muse? Generally I've hated everything I've heard by them, but I know Matt Bellamy has a really sweet guitar rig and would like to hear how he uses it to it's fullest advantage without being put-off by a bunch of whiny pretentious lyrics and soft rock/indie crapola.

I like what I see in this video for an intro to Stockholm Syndrome so direct me to similar things please.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Where do I start with prog metal? Stuff like Dream Theater - real nerdy, technical music. I need new music and metal is the only major genre left out of my Zune.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

trans fat posted:

Where do I start with prog metal? Stuff like Dream Theater - real nerdy, technical music. I need new music and metal is the only major genre left out of my Zune.

Dream Theater's pretty much best of breed, but there are some other good acts out there. You might be well served to look through their similar artists on last.fm, with an eye towards stuff on the first few pages.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Dream Theater's pretty much best of breed, but there are some other good acts out there. You might be well served to look through their similar artists on last.fm, with an eye towards stuff on the first few pages.
What specific albums should I be looking for?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

trans fat posted:

What specific albums should I be looking for?

Symphony X, V: The New Mythology Suite
Shadow Gallery, Carved in Stone
Spock's Beard, V
3, The End is Begun
Opeth, Ghost Reveries
Porcupine Tree, In Absentia

That should give you a sense of the different flavors of prog metal and modern prog rock.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REDICULOUS LOOSER
Apr 28, 2008

by DocEvil

Programmable Soda posted:

"Horses".