Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

® posted:

Where do I start with Pavement?

I'd personally go with either Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain or Brighten the Corners. Both of them showcase more of the pop side of the group and are excellent. Though, for my money, their best album is Wowee Zowee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

® posted:

This was mentioned before, but I would go with Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain since it is a ton less abrasive and lo-fi than Slanted & Enchanted, even though my favorite is the latter. Honestly though, you could possibly spring for any album due to Pavement's great consistency between releases, so I'll make a list of the poppiest/most immediate song on each of their albums. If you like one more than the others, spring for that album.

"Summer Babe" - Slanted & Enchanted - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-kHIsPe-Qw&feature=related
"Cut Your Hair" - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoMdkyeZOqE
"Rattled By The Rush" - Wowee Zowee - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMN6pZ1lh-Y
"Stereo" - Brighten the Corners - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnrM4UjaQmY
"Carrot Rope" - Terror Twilight - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxehrvhNMY8

edited for urls

Organic Robot fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 29, 2009

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
If you don't like "Here" from Slanted&Enchanted you're out of luck on Pavement. But I have faith in you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr3N12veTAA

®
Nov 20, 2002

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions!

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Squarepusher has a sight more albums than I expected. What are this guy's key albums?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I've always been interested in checking out The Residents but their catalogue is just huge. I just want to to check out the studio albums at the moment

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

® posted:

I'd say your best bet is Crooked Rain Crooked Rain. It is easily their most accessible, and I think best record.

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
Where should I start with Drake? Is he as good as Kid Cudi and Wale?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Iraff posted:

Squarepusher has a sight more albums than I expected. What are this guy's key albums?

Feed Me Weird Things and Big Loada are probably (definitely) the most accessible, and are both terrific. I don't like his more experimental stuff, but even if you do you can't go wrong with these.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

NicktheBishop posted:

Feed Me Weird Things and Big Loada are probably (definitely) the most accessible, and are both terrific. I don't like his more experimental stuff, but even if you do you can't go wrong with these.

Awesome, thanks. Do you consider Ultravisitor experimental? I found myself really enjoying "Iambic 9 Poetry", and I'm wondering if that album is more of the same.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

RollingBoBo posted:

Where should I start with Drake? Is he as good as Kid Cudi and Wale?

So Far Gone mixtape is probably your best bet, but honestly, Best I Ever Had is pretty much the peak for Drake...

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Iraff posted:

Awesome, thanks. Do you consider Ultravisitor experimental? I found myself really enjoying "Iambic 9 Poetry", and I'm wondering if that album is more of the same.

Yeah, at least enough to make it difficult for casual listening. I don't really remember Ultravisitor. I bought it when it came out and some songs were good but the album as a whole didn't do it for me. Here's an example of his sound from the two albums I mentioned:

"Tundra"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G01DKEig14

"Port Rhombus"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWNgcVq-GMQ&feature=related

Ultravisitor had a little too much noise for me, but from what I understand people really love it. Maybe someone who is a fan of his later stuff can jump in here and offer some more informed advice.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

screaden posted:

I've always been interested in checking out The Residents but their catalogue is just huge. I just want to to check out the studio albums at the moment

I'd say that The Commercial Album is a great place to start. It covers a lot of ground (given that it's 40 songs approximately 1 minute long each) and is fairly straightforward compared to a lot of their other work. Duck Stab/Buster & Glen might be another good place to start too.

MC Scaredabeez
Feb 10, 2008

® posted:

Slanted and Enchanted, their first, is pure magic. You can get it in reissued form, with lots of really great bonus tracks including BBC sessions and their follow-up EP. The album by itself is a really special one from start to finish, and the bonus material almost takes some of the power of the original away when consumed in one sitting, which is a testament to how well the bonus material holds up.

Many people rank their albums mostly chronologically, with Slanted or their slightly more polished sophomore album Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain on top, and the rest descending in quality. There are reissues of every proper album up to and including Brighten the Corners (which is my sleeper fave) with lots of nice bonus tracks to wade through, which is great.

For me, their third, Wowee Zowee is too much filler. Often songs hit a peak and then fizzle out from too much jamming. Other people love its looseness. Terror Twilight, their final album is also hit-or-miss, but for a different reason. It's much more restrained and rehearsed-sounding than all of their previous albums, but it's got some really good songs.

(beaten to the punch...)

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

screaden posted:

Definitely Commercial Album to start, but I like Third Reich n Roll more, so listen to that too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

baberaham lincoln posted:

Return of The Boom Bap, and possibly some of his stiff with BDP like Criminally Minded.

He also put out a really good album about 2 years ago with Marley Marl called Hip-Hop Lives if you want something more "modern" sounding, but honestly, Return of The Boom Bap is where you need to start.

Thanks for the tip, I picked up Return of the Boom Bap and it's pretty goddamn awesome.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Nadja anyone? Heard Bliss Torn From Emptiness being played in ye olde record shoppe and thought it was awesome, but they have nearly 50 releases, and I have no idea where to go next :(

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Rhg0061r posted:

Nadja anyone? Heard Bliss Torn From Emptiness being played in ye olde record shoppe and thought it was awesome, but they have nearly 50 releases, and I have no idea where to go next :(

The record of covers (When I See the Sun Always Shines on TV) they released this year was both excellent and easily accessible. The songs are strung together via feedback, but have distinct starts and stops unlike a lot of their other LPs. The MBV and Slayer covers and standouts. Honestly, it's one of my favorite releases of the year.

Additionally, Radiance of Shadows is a really solid example of them at their post-rock-iest. A+ album.

TommyTheDent
Dec 29, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

Sweatpants Baby posted:

The best three are Lucy Ford, God Loves Ugly, and Seven's Travels. It's an ongoing debate with my friends on which is best, but it's probably Seven's Travels.

Also if you like Slug, you'd probably like Felt

Just so everyone knows, the answer is actually none of these. Overcast! is the best album, Lucy Ford is the best starting point.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Rhg0061r posted:

Start with Touched, then Truth Becomes Death and Radiance of Shadows. Also check out their collabs with Atavist (the first one is better).

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

baberaham lincoln posted:

The record of covers (When I See the Sun Always Shines on TV) they released this year was both excellent and easily accessible. The songs are strung together via feedback, but have distinct starts and stops unlike a lot of their other LPs. The MBV and Slayer covers and standouts. Honestly, it's one of my favorite releases of the year.

Additionally, Radiance of Shadows is a really solid example of them at their post-rock-iest. A+ album.

Both of these arrived today and are bloody brilliant, thank you :glomp:

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."
Alright, so where do I start with My Morning Jacket?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Drama Llama posted:

Alright, so where do I start with My Morning Jacket?

Z. It's their most focused and more rounded release. Some people would argue for It Moves though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OrganicRobot posted:

Z. It's their most focused and more rounded release. Some people would argue for It Moves though.

Yeah, I'd start with Z too. And if you like it, check out the Okonokos DVD.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Kraftwerk?

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
I've been listening to The Postal Service for years and loving love them, so the next logical step would be, where do I start with Death cab for Cutie?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
/\/\/\ I listened to Postal Service before I did Death Cab, and my favorites are The Photo Album and Transatlanticism .

Another logical step would be Dntel (Jimmy Tamborello) with Life is Full of Possibilities. Though, you probably know about that already.

Iraff posted:

Where do I start with Kraftwerk?

The Man-Machine and Computer World are the most accessible. From there, I would go to Autobahn and Trans-Europe Express. I love both of the latter, but they could be tedious for a first time listener (maybe not Autobahn, but it's length of the title track is a bit much, and the rest of the songs feel incomplete to me). T-EE is nice, but the motif of metallic train track noises could put you off, but it's got some great songs on it.

Tour de France is good. It uses more of the modern electronic aesthetic, but I much prefer the old, analog sound. If you like house music you would probably like it more.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Fors Yard posted:

/\/\/\ I listened to Postal Service before I did Death Cab, and my favorites are The Photo Album and Transatlanticism .

Another logical step would be Dntel (Jimmy Tamborello) with Life is Full of Possibilities. Though, you probably know about that already.

The Man-Machine and Computer World are the most accessible. From there, I would go to Autobahn and Trans-Europe Express. I love both of the latter, but they could be tedious for a first time listener (maybe not Autobahn, but it's length of the title track is a bit much, and the rest of the songs feel incomplete to me). T-EE is nice, but the motif of metallic train track noises could put you off, but it's got some great songs on it.

Tour de France is good. It uses more of the modern electronic aesthetic, but I much prefer the old, analog sound. If you like house music you would probably like it more.

Really, you can't go far wrong with Kraftwerk (just steer clear of The Mix until you're aquainted with the other stuff). While we're on the subject, I don't get the hate for Electric Cafe / Techno Pop. I mean, sure it's no where near as inventive as their past efforts, but Techno Pop and The Telephone call are infectious as hell.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Way Past Cool! posted:

Pretty much. Just start with Psychocandy, listen their albums in chronological order and quit whenever you feel it gets boring.

Nicely put. For me, it got boring after the drum machine drenched Automatic...

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

I've been listening to The Postal Service for years and loving love them, so the next logical step would be, where do I start with Death cab for Cutie?

You should check out a band called "Owl City". At first I thought it was the guy from The Postal Service because he's got an equally soothing voice. I loving love them both.

Start off with the album "Ocean Eyes" as the track "Fireflies" is getting owl city hell popular.

Enjoy :)

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

I like Fela Kuti's Zombie and Expensive poo poo. Where do I go from here? He's intimidatingly prolific.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Watermelon City posted:

I like Fela Kuti's Zombie and Expensive poo poo. Where do I go from here? He's intimidatingly prolific.

Haha that's exactly the order I started off in too; I'd say get The Best of Black President next since it's kind of a best-of compilation, but that's just me.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Where do I start with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? I'm looking to start with maybe two albums.

Atreyu
Feb 14, 2004
'Your bum is the greatest thing about you; so that in the beastliest sense, you are Pompey the Great.'
You could start with Tender Prey, a good example of his early style - still fairly harsh and rough around the edges without being too abrasive and weird like the first few albums. Murder Ballads is great - darkly hilarious songs with lots of off-key singing and general mayhem alongside some genuinely creepy tracks like 'Where Wild Roses Grow', a duet with Kylie Minogue.

redphoenix11
May 9, 2007

I'd second Tender Prey as it has his signature song, "The Mercy Seat", and it's got a balance between his noisier early albums and the (relative smothness) of the later albums.

Let Love In might not be a bad place to start either since it's not very abrasive but it's more rock than stuff like The Boatman's Call.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Watermelon City posted:

Doesn't matter, literally everything he ever did is at least listenable. Any of the most popular LPs from the '70s is a good pick, Shakara and Roforofo Fight are my favourites. The Confusion/Gentleman double CD reissue is wonderful as well.

Burb
Dec 28, 2009
Where would I start with Tool?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Burb posted:

Where would I start with Tool?

Wow, really? Ok, I'll bite.

Start with Aenima which was is, in some circles, their peak album. That album pretty much incorporates everything the band does; the self-effacing humor, the smarmy "you-do-not-deserve-to-like-this-band" meta references, and the masturbatory Bill Hicks tribute. From there, go backwards if you want the sort of metal that got blasted at the more hip frat houses all through the early 90's. Go forward if you want the inner-thinking hoodie and a beard contemplative prog-metal that sites like Pitchfork love to ridicule and decimate.

Things not on Aenima that are arguably worth hearing ...

"Undertow" off of the first LP, Undertow.
"Opiate" off of the eponymous EP.

I'm sure there are things on those last two LP's that you should hear, but I'm horrible with names for those. Look at the second or third track from Lateralus, and a better part of 10,000 Days except the silly alien song.

Oh, Salival has a honest live version of "Push It" that might be neat once you hear the studio version on Aenima.

That was way too wordy for a simple question. Sorry.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 6, 2010

Burb
Dec 28, 2009
Thanks. I didn't know it'd be a weird question. I've somehow never actually listened to them before, or at least not knowingly. I'm mostly interested in finding out what the best of their output is because I've heard them derided in good measure both by my prog metal and alt-rock fans, while at the same time having a pretty rabid fanbase.

EDIT: God, I just realised they've only got four albums. I feel like a dumbass.

Burb fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Talking Heads?