Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ekplixi
Jul 18, 2006
Where do I start with rap? I really like female MCs like Mary J. Blige and Lil Mama. I'm digging Mary's "Growing Pains" and Lil Mama's "Voice of the Young People". Not sure where to go from here.

Ekplixi fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartz Champ
Feb 19, 2008

Christ is the unfathomable source that keeps every atom from literally exploding!!!

Ekplixi posted:

Where do I start with rap? I really like female MCs like Mary J. Blige and Lil Mama. I'm digging Mary's "Growing Pains" and Lil Mama's "Voice of the Young People". Not sure where to go from here.

You can't go wrong with Pac. I'd suggest Me Against The World.

Edit: Dr. Dre's Chronic and 2001 are also pretty sweet.

Schwartz Champ fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 4, 2008

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

Ekplixi posted:

Not sure if you're looking specifically for female MCs, but Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan is all but a sure thing.

Also, where should I start with Belle & Sebastian?

HyperGlitter
May 15, 2003

Ekplixi posted:

If you like Mary J. Blige you'd probably like Lauryn Hill's solo poo poo (The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill specifically, fantastic CD), as well as The Fugees.

Mortigi Tempo posted:

How could I get into some good Shoegaze and Slowcore?
Someone covered a good list of the obvious ones but I'd also reccomend Guitar's Sunkissed album, it is loving amazing and not many people have heard of it. Panda Riot's newest album is also good if you feel like girls trying to emulate Loveless :)

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where would one start with Frank Black's solo career?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Also, where should I start with Belle & Sebastian?

In chronological order: The debut, Tigermilk, will blow you away even before you know that it was recorded as a college music project. The following two albums - If You're Feeling Sinister and The Boy With The Arab Strap are also great. Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant is patchy.

Dear Catastrophe Waitress and The Life Pursuit, from what I've heard of them, are pretty good even if it does seem that Stuart Murdoch wants to jump from genre to genre, In a White Album kind of way, on each track.

B&S also recorded alot of EPs throughout the first half of their career and these are compiled on Push Barman To Open Old Wounds. This has some great songs on too and gives a good overview of the variety of sounds the band was experimenting with.

I would start with any of the first three albums plus Push Barman To Open Old Wounds.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

Al2001 posted:

Dear Catastrophe Waitress and The Life Pursuit, from what I've heard of them, are pretty good even if it does seem that Stuart Murdoch wants to jump from genre to genre, In a White Album kind of way, on each track.

Oh lord, get The Life Pursuit, it's an amazing album, and one of their most consistant. Other than that, what A12001 said is pretty much spot on. But yeah, TLP just might be the perfect starting point with B&S.

Can someone tell me where to start with Dead Can Dance?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Ekplixi posted:

As someone who's not a connoisseur of the genre, perhaps my outsider view will help.

As far as Female MCs are concerned I'd heavily recommend Missy Elliot (if for nothing else but Timberland's masterful production on all of her efforts). Under Construction continues to be my favorite and may very well be the best example of her career thus far.

If you're willing to move to Male based rap (and are looking for more contemporary work), I'd point you in the direction of Clipse (Hell Hath No Fury), Jay-Z (American Gangster, The Blueprint), Ghostface Killah (Pretty Toney, Fishscales) or even Lil'Wayne (Tha Carter, Vol 2.).

All things considered, you may want to go to the classics as well.
Wu Tang Clan-Enter the Wu Tang: 36 Chambers
Public Enemy-It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back and/orFear Of A Black Planet
Beyond that, there's a slew of other classics I either don't feel like typing, or haven't discovered yet.
Again, this is just my view from an outsider to the rap world. I'm still feeling my way through and enjoy getting surprised.

Oh, and get a Young MC compilation if you can.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Ekplixi posted:

Check out the Ruff Ryders, namely Volumes 1 and 2. A lot of good rappers collaborate on all their albums, can't wait for volume 5.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Rubber Biscuit posted:

His first two albums, "Frank Black" and "Teenager of the Year" would be the best places to start, they're both brilliant albums. Moving from there, I'd say move up to "Dog in the Sand" and then get his most recent album "Bluefinger" and the mini album "Svn Fngrs."
The last two I mentioned have very Pixies-esque qualities to them, and they're some of the best stuff he's done in a while.

After that, you have to move towards his more alt-country albums, like "Black Letter Days," "Honeycomb," or "Fast Man Raider Man." They're not everyone's cup of tea, since I guess people were just expecting Frank Black to keep making the same music over and over, but they're solid albums.

Somewhere inbetween all of those you could try listening to "The Cult of Ray," his third album- some people like it, most kind of don't, but it's always worth a shot.

Linden
May 6, 2007

"It's a magical world...Let's go exploring!"
Where should I go with electronic music?

I have listened to trance for several years and have pretty much heard it all. I have been looking to expand my horizons a bit, whether it be to DnB, House, Electro... whatever.

I enjoyed Justice's Cross album and the Danger EP that gained a bit of a SA following. My friends have recommended Andy C. and Pendulum to me and people seem to enjoy Trentemøller quite a bit. I have also concidered getting into Hard Dance a bit more, when I first started listening to EDM I enjoyed The Warp Brothers and DJ Lee but that landscape seems pretty much dominated by BK and Vinylgroovers. I also enjoyed Fedde Le Grande and Felix da Housecat's albums but dont really know any other big House DJs.

Anyone familiar with any of these artists that can give me a good starting point for them, or recommend another artist to me?

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

19charactersorless. posted:

The Greatest is her best, containing Chan's strongest vocal work combined with some great brass, however for her more 'indie' albums try You Are Free and Moon Pix.

Cat Power has two distinct eras:

Weird indie rock singer: see bMoon Pix

Folk Singer: You Are Free

I would argue that You Are Free is more The Greatest and less Moon Pix. Maybe Not is a song that set a pretty clear path for the next few years. The Greatest is a neat album, but I much prefer Moon Pix. That said, What Would The Community Think? is really weird, but fantastic. It has a wicked cool cover of Smog's Bathysphere on it.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Here's one - can someone tell me where to start with Dream Theater? I'm going to see them next Tuesday (a big part of the reason is because I love Opeth - who they are touring with) and I have heard basically nothing of theirs. I love the song 'Hollow Years', and after hearing that 'Pull Me Under' was one of their biggest hits I listened to it and I think it's pretty good. I don't really like LaBrie's voice on a lot of his high notes, but I'm a guitarist and I think Petrucci is pretty amazing.

Any tips?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Rogue posted:

Dream Theater

Images and Words has the best "songs", and Scenes From a Memory is probably their most solid album all the way through.

The rest is hit-or-miss.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!
Where should I start with Cheap Trick? I've got their debut, should I just continue in chronological order?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Rogue posted:

Here's one - can someone tell me where to start with Dream Theater? I'm going to see them next Tuesday (a big part of the reason is because I love Opeth - who they are touring with) and I have heard basically nothing of theirs. I love the song 'Hollow Years', and after hearing that 'Pull Me Under' was one of their biggest hits I listened to it and I think it's pretty good. I don't really like LaBrie's voice on a lot of his high notes, but I'm a guitarist and I think Petrucci is pretty amazing.

Any tips?

I'd get them in this order:

Scenes From A Memory
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Their new one, Systematic Chaos, since they'll likely be playing new songs.
Images And Words
Awake
Train Of Thought
Change Of Seasons

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Where do I start with Ween? I don't know much about them but they seem really interesting.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Deltron 3030 posted:

Where do I start with Ween? I don't know much about them but they seem really interesting.

Pure Guava has their "120 Minutes College Rock" hit, along with a lot of other good tracks. It's as good as place as any to start. From there, go ahead and check out Chocolate & Cheese.

After that, I'd say go with whatever album cover and/or title looks amusing. Those guys like to play around with different styles. In my opinion (which is worth gently caress all), there's not one album that would capture their sound.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

cryme posted:

Images and Words has the best "songs", and Scenes From a Memory is probably their most solid album all the way through.

The rest is hit-or-miss.

I definitely agree with this. I&W and SFAM are their best. Start there.

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

Deltron 3030 posted:

I'd say:

1. The Mollusk
2. quebec
3. Chocolate & Cheese
4. White Pepper
5. Pure Guava

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Where do I start with bluegrass, recent or classic? I like Dolly Parton's bluegrass albums, but don't really know where to go from there. I'd prefer something with a female singer, but otherwise am open to suggestions.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Deltron 3030 posted:

Chocolate & Cheese, without question.

Garth Algar
Jun 9, 2007
Did you ever see that "Twilight Zone" where the guy signed a contract and they cut out his tongue and put it in a jar and it wouldn't die, it just grew and pulsated and gave birth to baby tongues? Pretty cool, huh?

Deltron 3030 posted:

Definitely The Mollusk. I listened to it after seeing it mentioned in the obscure bands thread. It was a great jumping block and I absolutely love them now.

Rubber Biscuit posted:

I would listen to them in this order:

1. Frank Black & The Catholics
2. Frank Black
3. Teenager of the Year
4. Bluefinger

After that listen around and see what style suits you best. Definetly include Honeycomb and Black Letter Days for a Charles Thompson weirdness meets Country fusion. It works surprisingly well. Or you could download a few of the frank black podcasts and chase down the albums of the songs you really like :3:

Garth Algar fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 8, 2008

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Linden posted:

Where should I go with electronic music?

I have listened to trance for several years and have pretty much heard it all. I have been looking to expand my horizons a bit, whether it be to DnB, House, Electro... whatever.

I enjoyed Justice's Cross album and the Danger EP that gained a bit of a SA following. My friends have recommended Andy C. and Pendulum to me and people seem to enjoy Trentemøller quite a bit. I have also concidered getting into Hard Dance a bit more, when I first started listening to EDM I enjoyed The Warp Brothers and DJ Lee but that landscape seems pretty much dominated by BK and Vinylgroovers. I also enjoyed Fedde Le Grande and Felix da Housecat's albums but dont really know any other big House DJs.

Anyone familiar with any of these artists that can give me a good starting point for them, or recommend another artist to me?
I'd recommend becoming a blog whore to discover new groups, sometimes hype has a justification:
http://solidgoldberger.blogspot.com/
http://kidzbycolette.free.fr/
http://iheartcomix.com/
http://discodust.blogspot.com/
http://palmsout.blogspot.com/
http://lettherebenight.blogspot.com/
http://electricboyz.blogspot.com/
http://gqeq.blogspot.com/
http://ffffire.blogspot.com/
http://asianmandan.blogspot.com/
http://www.discobelle.net/
http://www.thefader.com/
http://www.onemoredisco.com/

xdistak
Jul 8, 2003
I'm a huge faggot who needs to learn that money can't solve all of life's problems.
Wow, this thread has been a tremendous asset just browsing through so far. There have been some great recommendations, everyone.

I'm looking to get into De la Soul, where do I begin?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

xdistak posted:

Wow, this thread has been a tremendous asset just browsing through so far. There have been some great recommendations, everyone.

I'm looking to get into De la Soul, where do I begin?

Start with 3 Feet High And Rising, then De La Soul Is Dead, then go chronologically from there.

SpecialK2k8
Feb 23, 2007
Here's a question, where do I start with UGK I really like Bun B's new album II Trill but I really have no where to start with UGK in general, thanks in advance.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SpecialK2k8 posted:

Here's a question, where do I start with UGK I really like Bun B's new album II Trill but I really have no where to start with UGK in general, thanks in advance.

Ridin' Dirty (1996) and then Underground Kingz (2007).

InvadErGII
May 29, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Where do I start with bluegrass, recent or classic? I like Dolly Parton's bluegrass albums, but don't really know where to go from there. I'd prefer something with a female singer, but otherwise am open to suggestions.

As far as recent bluegrass goes, you can't possibly go wrong with Alison Krauss, preferably with Union Station. New Favorite is a fantastic record of theirs, as is their 2-disc live album. If you enjoy that, check out Nickel Creek's first two albums, which Krauss produced.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Where do I start with Tortoise? I heard a performance of "Salt the Skies" and thought it was amazing. Not heard anything else though. Where do I go first?

Stan Baniszewski
Jul 3, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Where do I start with Tortoise? I heard a performance of "Salt the Skies" and thought it was amazing. Not heard anything else though. Where do I go first?

The album with "Salt the skies" is by far their worst.
Start with "Millions now living will never die" (1996), then go with the eponymous (1994) and "TNT" (1998).

BIG SAD
Oct 26, 2006

Are you trying to Garfunkel me?
I'm trying to get into Hip-hop more, i've been a big fan of Deltron3030 for years, one of my favorite albums. I also really liked The Mouse and The Mask album Danger Doom put out. Oh also The Grey Album was great. But where should I go from there?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

BIG SAD posted:

I'm trying to get into Hip-hop more, i've been a big fan of Deltron3030 for years, one of my favorite albums. I also really liked The Mouse and The Mask album Danger Doom put out. Oh also The Grey Album was great. But where should I go from there?

MF Doom's "Mm.. Food."
Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back."

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
Help, I want to love Radon and The Replacements!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I would like to check out:

Melt Banana
The Boredoms
Lightning Bolt
The Locust

And any other obnoxious noise.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

Chinaski posted:

I would like to check out:

Melt Banana
The Boredoms
Lightning Bolt
The Locust

And any other obnoxious noise.

Melt Banana - Try Bambi's Dillema
Lightning Bolt - Either Hypermagic Mountain or Wonderful Rainbow

aaaaaaand if you want obnoxious, noisy, Boredoms try Soul Discharge. Then get everything else they've ever done, including all the super roots albums and OOIOO's stuff and eYe's DJ work as their albums are rarely anything less than amazing.

edit: Obnoxious noise? Dude, try Merzbow.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

19charactersorless. posted:

Melt Banana - Try Bambi's Dillema
Lightning Bolt - Either Hypermagic Mountain or Wonderful Rainbow

aaaaaaand if you want obnoxious, noisy, Boredoms try Soul Discharge. Then get everything else they've ever done, including all the super roots albums and OOIOO's stuff and eYe's DJ work as their albums are rarely anything less than amazing.

edit: Obnoxious noise? Dude, try Merzbow.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check these out for sure.

I think I need to explore Merzbow a little more. I had checked out one track a while ago and it wasn't good. I can't remember the name of it unfortunately.

I like really aggressive sounding stuff, both in electronic music and rock. I'm not too keen on droning noise but I do like a "wall of sound" presence as well as the more manic stuff.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 17, 2008

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Stan Baniszewski posted:

The album with "Salt the skies" is by far their worst.
Start with "Millions now living will never die" (1996), then go with the eponymous (1994) and "TNT" (1998).

Hey wow, Millions Now Living Will Never Die is cool. Thanks a lot, this is a promising start.

Next question: where do I start with Cocteau Twins?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Right, more help needed. Where do I start with Donovan (I really like the song 'Colours' but don't really know anything else except for Mellow Yellow) and The Fall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Chinaski posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check these out for sure.

I think I need to explore Merzbow a little more. I had checked out one track a while ago and it wasn't good. I can't remember the name of it unfortunately.

I like really aggressive sounding stuff, both in electronic music and rock. I'm not too keen on droning noise but I do like a "wall of sound" presence as well as the more manic stuff.
Infidel?/Castro!'s "Bioentropic Damage Fractal", Behold... the Arctopus, old The Dillinger Escape Plan (everything before Miss Machine), PsyOpus's "Ideas of Reference", Wolf Eyes, Orthrelm and Ocrilim are definitely all things you should check out.

Fiveace Attorney fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 17, 2008