Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck you aurora
Jan 1, 2007

by mons all madden
David Bowie

Click here for the full 953x953 image.

I have a few of his albums, what else would I like if I really liked The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust? I know a lot of his popular stuff and I appreciate the man, but I'm not sure which way to go before sullying my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck you aurora
Jan 1, 2007

by mons all madden

Raccoon Leaf posted:

Hunky Dory is the closest to Ziggy Stardust, in my opinion. Bowie was a chameleon, not just in that he changed his look but that he changed his style of music, so everyone is going to have a different opinion on Bowie. Ziggy Stardust is probably the favorite of the majority of fans, and it's my favorite too, so good job starting there. My other favorites are Scary Monsters (which I describe as a schizophrenic prediction of what music was going to be in the 80s) and Young Americans (which leans heavily towards soul and R&B... with a Beatles cover thrown in), but most of his others are really good too. Do some research on each one and see what you think will appeal to you best.

Also, in my opinion, you can't just go off of single songs to decide what album to get. For some reason, Bowie didn't work that way with me. I like albums that I didn't expect to like (based on the songs chosen to go on "The Best of Bowie").

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I would agree with much of what Raccoon Leaf said. But to add a comment, if Ziggy Stardust is your starting point, I think Diamond Dogs (to my ear) is also going to be one you'll want to check out. I also second the recommendation of Scary Monsters.

I think The Man Who Sold the World and Lodger are strong releases, as well as Low and Heroes (the last three being the "Berlin trilogy").

With the exception of Scary Monsters (1980), everything named so far is from the 70's. If you want more, I would suggest focusing on other 70's releases and then looking at the 90's albums. Skip over the other 80's albums unless and until you have all the other stuff and like it so much you decide you want to be a completist.

Thank you kindly, I listened to some of the tracks from Hunky Dory, and you were pretty much spot on. Will check out Diamond Dogs!