Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
As far as I can tell we haven't had one of these threads in a while, so why not.

I'll just get this one out of the way because this one inevitably crops up in threads like these: Where does one begin with Frank Zappa?

Basically i'm familiar with the Best Of... material, and have given Apostrophe (') a jolly good listen. The latter, I like alot, but seeing as it's very there's a million different pathways to go down when it comes to Zappa, i'm stuck wondering where to go next. Joe's Garage looks appealing to me at the moment but i'm a bit cautious of the whole concept album format. It's just all so daunting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Where should I start with Brian Eno's solo work? Or. Where should I continue to? I randomly got Ambient 1 and Another Green World after reading a quick overview of him and enjoyed both of them.

Though I haven't wandered too far down the Eno path, I picked up My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts on a whim, and found it to be brilliant. Though, this is MUCH more dense and energetic than his Ambient work (probably due largely to David Byrne's influence) it's well worth a listen.

Despite being one of the first uses of sampling it hasn't dated at all, and I find it to be as listenable as any rock recording. Even if you're after a more ambient listen, I still highly recommend you give this a try.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Where should I start with Dire Straits?

You can't really go wrong with Brothers in Arms, which IMO is their strongest release, though more mainstream than others. It's a solid collection of songs and covers a pretty wide scope of their sounds, as well as being just a drat good pop / rock crossover album.

Aside from that i'd recommend Love Over Gold which is a brilliant piece of work. It's a little more proggy, and the songs are much longer than on Brothers In Arms, but they pull it off very well. Telegraph Road in particular is a great piece, and there's also a few shorter, tighter songs placed in for good measure.

All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these two albums, even when just starting out.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where would one start with Frank Black's solo career?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where do I go next with The Magnetic Fields? I've got my hands on 69 Love Songs and love every second of it, and i've heard one or two songs from Distortion, along with the song 'Strange Powers', which I dig alot. What's their earlier work like?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Ellen Page Reactor posted:

How about Brian Eno? I like the music he's done with David Byrne and David Bowie, but I haven't heard any of his solo work.

He's diverse, is Eno, so: If you're looking for a good balance between more conventional songs and his ambient output, start with Another Green World or Before & After Science.

For his ambient stuff, i'd suggest starting out with Ambient 1: Music For Airports or Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks.

I can't speak for any of his stuff with Roxy Music though.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Wondering where to begin with Deerhoof. I saw them opening for Blur in Hyde Park this friday and was impressed, but their back catalogue is, uh, bigger than I expected.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Wilco, anyone?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Attempted bump. I recently picked up a copy of Steve Reich's Music For 18 Musicians and i'm loving it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend something in a similar vein.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Fors Yard posted:

/\/\/\ I listened to Postal Service before I did Death Cab, and my favorites are The Photo Album and Transatlanticism .

Another logical step would be Dntel (Jimmy Tamborello) with Life is Full of Possibilities. Though, you probably know about that already.

The Man-Machine and Computer World are the most accessible. From there, I would go to Autobahn and Trans-Europe Express. I love both of the latter, but they could be tedious for a first time listener (maybe not Autobahn, but it's length of the title track is a bit much, and the rest of the songs feel incomplete to me). T-EE is nice, but the motif of metallic train track noises could put you off, but it's got some great songs on it.

Tour de France is good. It uses more of the modern electronic aesthetic, but I much prefer the old, analog sound. If you like house music you would probably like it more.

Really, you can't go far wrong with Kraftwerk (just steer clear of The Mix until you're aquainted with the other stuff). While we're on the subject, I don't get the hate for Electric Cafe / Techno Pop. I mean, sure it's no where near as inventive as their past efforts, but Techno Pop and The Telephone call are infectious as hell.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

ultrafilter posted:

I wouldn't normally either, but that's one of two major exceptions (the other being the Buzzcocks' Singles Going Steady).

Ditto for Snap! by The Jam or Substance by New Order. I suppose it's something that's usualy specific to bands who released a lot of non-album singles, but with Talking Heads, if Stop Making Sense doesn't hook you, then nothing will.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Now seems an (in)appropriate time to thank everyone for contributing to this surprisingly long-running thread!

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

drainpipe posted:

I like Arvo Part's Tabula Rasa. Where should I go? I'm aware that Philip Glass is related, but he has too many works. Where's a good starting point?

Personally, I found Koyaanisqatsi to be an excellent starting place.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Post-Black Flag Henry Rollins, anyone? Met the guy after one of his spoken word shows the other night and figured I owe it to the man.

I love that this thread refuses to die. :)

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where do I start with post-Faith No More Mike Patton?

Where do I start with The Residents?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

wlokos posted:

Ignore everything the other guy said until you start with Pet Sounds. If you aren't in love by the end of the first track you have no soul.

Quoting for truth. Start with Pet Sounds, don't get anything chronologically after Surf's Up. You really can't go far wrong with anything made before then.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

TheNintenGenius posted:

See I completely disagree with this. If nothing else, I think Holland is a fantastic album and I consider it to be their last truly classic album (well okay, I like Love You too, but I realize that one's contentious).

Hrm, Holland does have some interesting stuff going on and I do give it the odd listen from time to time but i'm glad it wasn't one of the first Beach Boys albums I bought. It definately takes a bit more getting used to than, say, Today! or Sunflower.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
In light of the planned reunion, where do I go with Swans? I've got Soundtracks For The Blind, and I have to say that the side of them that interests me the most is the more dreamlike, ambient side, like Red Velvet Corridor and I Was A Prisoner In Your Skull. I've heard that their earlier stuff is a lot more abrasive, which i've got no problems with.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

FitFortDanga posted:

You might like The Great Annihilator.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Okay, okay.. Where do I start with Fela Kuti?

Try Expensive poo poo and Zombie. The former is my favourite. Prepare yourself for near-orgasmic horn awesomeness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XuHZkn0VFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgewcFh-cg

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Farts Domino posted:

I think the general agreement is somewhere between Duck Stab, Third Reich & Roll, and Commercial Album. In general I think the residents are best enjoyed watching as much video as possible

This is the truth. I'd also recommend picking up a copy of Eskimo if you're into the more conceptual, storytelling side of things. I also find Tweedles! to be a great, recent album of theirs which loosely tells the story of a psychopath / failed clown.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

screaden posted:

So I guess this isn't necessarily a where do I start, but a what should I stay away from in Bob Dylan's catalogue

I can't claim to be any kind of authority here but I guess it goes without saying that Christmas In The Heart is pretty devoid of much substance.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where would be the best place to start with Melt Banana?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Handen posted:

Excellent. I'll take your recommendation and try to find his first few. As for the 50's and Rock n' Roll, is there anyone else I should look for? I'm not interested in that sappy malt-shop diner love poo poo, I wanna know what the greasers who rode around on chopped up bikes and in dragsters listened to while they smoked Camels by old gas pumps in the middle of nowhere. Basically I've been listening to a lot of Reverend Horton Heat lately but I wanna know if stuff like that came out of the 50's direct. My contemporary music knowledge starts with the Beatles so basically anything before 1965 is unexplored territory in the form of "here potentially be dragons, dare not tread here."

Bo Diddley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdmhAFBnAoE

Bo "motherfucking" Diddley.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Wolfy posted:

I have no idea if such a thing exists. If you are trying to delve beyond popular psytrance artists such as Infected Mushroom I would suggest Sesto Sento -Come Together. Obviously if you've never heard Infected Mushroom they have some good stuff, I like Viscious Delicious. Another suggestion would be anything by Gataka. If you really want to gently caress your mind, Shpongle are...interesting. By no means is this list of the best psytrance artists just ones that I believe are good. There is tons of talent in this genre and it's really hard to go wrong.

Also, this seems like a spot where last.fm would REALLY help.

In closing, soomeone recommended me Tender Prey from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and I really liked it, where do I go from here?

If you liked Tender Prey, I recommend going to the beginning and working forward, starting with From Her To Eternity.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Iraff posted:

she only has three albums dog, any of those is probably a good starting point

Can we please cut down on these? Just because an artist has a small discography, doesn't mean there isn't a huge gap in quality between each album, and answering like this is of absolutely no help to the person who asked.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I posted this a while ago, and I got a reply recommending Sign Of The Times, which I really like, also LoveSexy got added to this list. So besides the above, and the two new ones, which ones should I get next?

I'm going to say the Love Symbol album. It included the hit My Name Is Prince, which he released after he changed his name, which has always amused me.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

AA is for Quitters posted:

Not so much an artist but a genre. I've been a Tom Waits fan for a long time and recently got really into That 1 Guy and was wondering what else is there that has that awesome...je ne sais that's really prevalent with the later Waits stuff-a good chunk of his post Rain Dogs stuff. The really experimental stuff.

I've listened casually to Zappa and didn't particularly care for it. Same for Ornette Colman and later Miles Davis.

Basically I want progressive stuff that's about exploring what we can do with music but something that's not too too outside the box.

Residents. Eskimo.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Red Rogue posted:

As somebody coming into new wave from the punk rock side of the equation, I've heard and enjoyed Devo, Talking Heads, and Cars. Where should I start with the Police?

I'd say start with Zenyattą Mondatta. It really shows off the band at the height of being a tightly rehearsed unit and for my money it's their most consistent album.

I wouldn't recommend starting with Syncronicity, though people told me to. It has a few well known songs on it but it doesn't really represent the band's "usual" style very well and I find it to be very inconsistent, style and quality-wise.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Jarl posted:

Ludwig van Beethoven. There seems to be a lot of versions and orchestras. Are there any recordings that just eclipse the rest?

I've always been rather partial to the Berlin Philharmonic recording of his 9th Symphony.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphony-Karajan-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B000001GPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1287263677&sr=1-1

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where do I go with John Cale? Very much familiar with the Velvets, loved Paris 1919, that's as far as i've gotten.

Also, could someone recommend me a decent surf rock compilation or two?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Tom Tom Club?

Chronologically. The self-titled debut has their biggest hits on it and recently got the deluxe reissue treatment which features the second album as a bonus disc.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Agreeing totally with dailydares that the Hardcore Devo compilations are incredible. I started with Freedom Of Choice, which contains the song that brought them into the public eye, 'Whip It' and is a solid collection of songs. Basically, stay clear of anything after Oh No, It's Devo and before Something For Everybody and you can't go far wrong.

I really like New Traditionalists but a lot of people see it as pretty mediocre.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

ultrafilter posted:

Naked is kind of a stinker too.

I love the gently caress out of Naked. My adoration for that album causes 'the gently caress' to be extracted from it forcefully.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

The Bacon God posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with Alva Noto or the raster-noton roster in general? I already have all of Ryoji Ikeda's work and I want do delve deeper into this sort of thing.

I can't speak for most of his solo work, but i'm an enormous fan of the collaborations he did with Ryuichi Sakamoto, particularly Insen. Very sparse stuff.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Jandek, anyone? I have no clue where to start, how his poo poo differs from his other poo poo etc.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Madlib is prolific to say the least. I dig Madvillainy, where next?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
MADLIB, damnit!

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Grateful Dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

screaden posted:

How about Kraftwerk? Trans-Europe Express seems like the go to by all accounts but what are the other essentials?

Really, Kraftwerk did no wrong from Autobahn to Tour De France Soundtracks, though Electric Cafe gets a lot of flak because it doesn't really bring anything new to the table and the production's quite typically 80's. It's not without its charms though. If you liked Trans-Europe Express, i'd recommend this order...

The Man Machine, Computer World, Radioactivity, Autobahn, Tour De France Soundtracks then Electric Cafe if you're still interested.

The title track from Autobahn is absolutely essential but the rest of the album tends to slip into their sound experiments of their first three out-of-print albums. It's fine but it's not the Kraftwerk on display on Trans-Europe Express. They still had a lot of streamlining to do.