Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where do I begin with acid house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Grateful Dead anyone? Shamefully, i've only heard Franklin's Tower, which is boss.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

DaFuente posted:

I've been listening to a lot Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr lately. I really like the way they mix ambient stuff with harmonies and traditional instruments. Beyond their LP and the 2 EPs, what other bands that do this sort of thing should I be checking out?

Off the top of my head, Active Child's album You Are All I See, which came out last year, might be worth checking out. Features great use of the harp alongside electronic instruments and the man has a falsetto to kill for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3WdgBLFhD4

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
George Duke and Brian Jonestown Massacre?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
George Duke and Doseone (outside of cLOUDDEAD) ?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
This is stupidly broad, but I'd like to further introduce myself with Deep House and classic acid house. Any suggestions for good compilations/mixes starting out?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where do I start with detroit techno? Any compilations I should be checking out?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Sorry to stick to the general genre recommendations but i'd really like to get my hands on some Italo Disco and some chicago house.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
I can't believe this thread is still going.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
A) This thread is still going?!

B) I want to get started on grime. Hopelessly general, I know, but indulge me.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
It's been asked on the last page but, i'd also like to echo wanting to start somewhere with Acid Mothers Temple. Any colossal duds to avoid or should I just dive in wherever, aye?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Gregorian chant?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

alnilam posted:

What album should I start with with Mazzy Star? Also open to other recommendations if I like the couple songs by them I heard.

So Tonight That I Might See for sure, it contains their biggest 'hit', Fade Into You and is just generally an all-round great album. From there, i'd say spread out chronologically if it grabs you. Their most recent album, post-hiatus, is well worth a look-in.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
I've finally started burning through the Boredoms back catalogue, but where's best to start with OOIOO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
So after reading Cosey Fanni Tutti’s autobiography, I’ve realised Industrial Records labelmates Cabaret Voltaire are a blind spot in my early industrial knowledge. Where to begin with them?

Coil too?