Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been trying to get more into TripHop, and was looking at the artist "Tricky". I looked at his Wikipedia page, and didn't find a real standout album. I was thinking of starting with Juxtapose, but that seems to have two other artists credited on the entire album. His best selling one was a soundtrack (?) album for a film. The only thing I have from him is "Excess" from that Queen of the Dead soundtrack album, and I just discovered he was a part of Massive Attack. What's the best album to start on, and to expand from after if I like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, and that's his first album, so it should be easy to figure out where to go from there. Thanks.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Maxinquaye is his best by far. I'd expand from there to Massive Attack, who had Tricky as a member for their first couple albums. Their consensus best album is Mezannine.

Yeah, Mezannine is the one album I have from them so far, and I was going to get Blue Lines next. After that I don't really know where to go for more trip hop. One of my favorite, and also then most disappointing albums, was Archive's Londonium, as any other album after that isn't the same style at all.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I remember trying Portishead, and not liking it at the time. Might have to try it again.

Also, since you said "sample heavy", it reminded me of a Bandcamp artist I like, Saltillo.
https://saltillo.bandcamp.com/album/ganglion

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Continue to not listen to Coldplay.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

One of my coworkers is super into Iron Maiden, and he advised me to not go past their 1988, seventh album, "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son". It's pretty good advice, I wouldn't say any album is bad (but the first album is different with a different vocalist as well).

I've always been interested if any other albums were good past that point, but haven't tried it. (Although I do have the 2000 track "The Wicker Man" which is a fine song.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I couldn't get into Some Great Reward or earlier. Luckily they put a Best Of compilation called "Singles 81-85". I have every album after that however. Music for the Masses is the earliest album I like, but Violator is clearly the best. Their 3 latest albums are also good, so they're not really losing it yet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I dont think I've ever heard a Rush song

Where should i start

Moving Pictures.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

I remember listening to Houdini at some point and liking it, but I have no idea whether that's the best starting point.

I was also interested in starting with The Melvins, and did so recently with this album. I liked it!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I have Guns N Rose's Appetite for Destruction, and Chinese Democracy (thanks to it being in the Rock Band game). However, "November Rain" is one of my most hated songs ever, and I hate ballady rock from that time. But I feel like I should have more GnR in my music. Should I bother if I hate the ballad poo poo? Is Use Your Illusion 1 good other than that one track? I also saw a "Lies" EP that apparently was made into a LP, but half of it is acoustic, and the other half is covers.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't know honestly. The first album is good, and they've been around a while. It's just weird to have only the first and last album they made. (I'm assuming that Chinese Democracy was the last thing they put out, given how long it took to come out.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Good enough for me then. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on any classic rock albums because of the awful, awful "November Rain".

Awful.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alvarez IV posted:

Where do I start with Devo? I know how influential they were outside the context of "Whip It", but that's it.

The "Are We Not Men? We Are Devo!" album for sure. And it's the first one, so you can go chronologically.

Also, their last album "Something For Everybody" is also great. I'm personally filling in the center of their discography.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So this is more of a "should I continue with?", but is Sting's stuff looking at if you have all The Police albums? I'm going to assume no though, but haven't ever checked out any of his stuff. I just assumed it was much different from The Police stuff.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Be also sure to track down "Temple of the Dog" while you're at it if you like Soundgarden. They only put out the one self-titled album.

And then Audioslave. :mrgw:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The first two albums.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Man with Hat posted:

Foo Fighters? And Nirvana while we're at it

Foo Fighters' Colour and the Shape is my all time favorite album, and the first CD I bought myself. You can go back to the first if you like it, and want a bit heavier. Go chronological until Sonic Highways. Concrete and Gold was a letdown, and sadly I still have not checked out the album, that came out a few weeks ago. Their albums wane and ebb, but Wasting Light was an amazing comeback. Sonic Highways was also made with an HBO TV series, an episode per song written in and preformed in various parts of the USA, and is worth watching for local music history.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Wall is a great album, but it does have a bit of fluff by virtue of being a very story-driven album. I mean, it has amazing songs on it and it's worth checking out for sure, and some of their most popular songs (Another Brick In The Wall). Not to mention Uncomfortably Numb has my second most favorite guitar solo ever. (First is still Funkadelic's Maggot Brain).

Wish You Were Here is still my favorite Floyd album, but I of course started with Dark Side of the Moon. I went backwards to the beginning from there, and Piper is very much only for those curious, or if you liked 60s psychedelic. Meddle's when they finally had a good album start to end, so that's the earliest album I'd say to start with, but Dark Side was right after.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I like the first comeback album, Collideoscope. If you like them chronologically, there's no reason not to check that one out too. I have the next one after that in my queue.

Biscuits is a decent EP, they also have a live album at CBGBs that was okay, but it's only from the first album. And just to include my favorite non-album track :
https://youtu.be/3fgjO5OsaFY
(Pride is a greatest hits album, if you must.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but you have to check out the live album "Stop Making Sense". The album and/or film.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I never heard of Tom Tom Club, and think that one track on Stop Making Sense is a blight on an otherwise classic performance. I can't believe it was popular.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've Seen Footage helped me sell my late uncle's audiophile speakers, that song is awesome. I went backwards after The Money Store since Ex-military is free on their website.

I'm going to regret asking this I bet, but what were the concert stunts?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Start with Leviathan and go forward. It’s only their second album, so you can go back to the first album, Remission, when you know you like them or not. But albums 2-4 are an amazing three albums.

If you are looking for something like Baroness, then maybe go right to Crack The Sky.

IUG fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 12, 2021

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Schiavona posted:

Deftones? I feel like someone must have put together an effortpost at some point about them.

Start with their second album, “Around The Fur”, and then do their third album, “White Pony“. The first album is good, if you like them, but the second and third album has their best hits.

You can continue through their discography in order from there, but after “Diamond Eyes” (the sixth album) I’d say there is a decline in quality.

I’d also recommend checking out “Crosses”, a side project from the lead singer.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosses_(band)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you like QotSA, then also check out "Them Crooked Vultures". It's a supergroup with Josh Homme, Dave Grohl, and John Paul Jones. It's only one (self-titled) album, and it owns.

That said, Josh Homme is a lovely human, and any way you can get this music without sending money Josh's way is essential.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’m not one to take advice on Primus from as I only have a few albums and I’m catching up on them still. But I saw one of the last albums was based on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and said nah to that. Then I just randomly saw The Desaturated Seven and preordered that right away. I couldn’t believe that someone made an album based on my wife’s word book she still had from her childhood.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Desaturating_Seven

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I only tried Let Love In, but want a fan of anything besides Red Right Hand. However, I’m weird or something, because I liked both Grinderman albums.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hatelull posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but where to start with Killing Joke?

I only have one album by then, but it’s 1985’s “Night Time”. I was told it was a good starting place for them, and I’ll agree it’s a good album.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’m in the same boat where I have just “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots”. I had “At War with the Mystics” in my queue to try next. Is that one not recommended? I saw that there was a Flaming Lips thread, and saw there’s a drastic drop off in quality at a certain point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's very good. But also investigate the album before Yoshimi, "The Soft Bulletin"

I have the Flight Test EP I found at a second hand shop, so I’m doing Mystic and that EP. After that I was going to go backwards, it seems that Mystic is the furthest to go according to that other thread.