Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domukaz
Jul 30, 2007

by Ozma

ackapoo posted:

All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone is a good start. Then I would get into The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, also a great album of theirs.

Start with The Richest Man In Babylon, it is their most accessible album I've seen. Then go with The Mirror Conspiracy > Sounds from the Thievery Hi-Fi > The Outernational Sound (probably one of their best compilation albums).

---

I'd like to get into Boards of Canada. I've already obtained The Campfire Headphase, so I don't know where to go from there. Any ideas?

Your next Boards of Canada album should probably be Music Has the Right to Children. But I've only got that and Geogaddi, so take that with a grain of salt.

This is going to sound stupid, but where should I start with the Rolling Stones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domukaz
Jul 30, 2007

by Ozma

KarateExplosion posted:

Where do I start with the blues? Like, blues with lots of really twangy guitar and lots of wah?

All this jazz talk is making me want to check it out too, I might have to get some of those Miles Davis cds you guys have been talking about.

A really good Miles CD is Kind of Blue, but I guess that goes without saying. It's really tasteful and well-played music. However, that's also an "obligatory" album--my personal favorite is actually A Tribute to Jack Johnson, which is two slices of jazz-rock as it should have been done.

Check out John Coltrane (Giant Steps and My Favorite Things, A Love Supreme if you like those) and Sonny Rollins (Saxophone Colossus in particular), too. Both were saxophonists who played with Miles at some point in their careers. Almost any Miles sideman's bandleader work is going to be good, in my experience.

Dave Brubeck's Time Out is good as an intro to cool jazz, as far as I know. I've never heard much good about cool jazz. Can anyone fill me in?

Anyway, jazz is a massive, massive genre and getting a good introduction to it is going to take a long time, never mind getting the ability to really appreciate it. Good luck, should you decide to take the plunge.