Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KarateExplosion
Sep 15, 2007

Where do I start with the blues? Like, blues with lots of really twangy guitar and lots of wah?

All this jazz talk is making me want to check it out too, I might have to get some of those Miles Davis cds you guys have been talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KarateExplosion
Sep 15, 2007

Willie The Disk posted:

I don't really know much blues with a wah wah pedal... but I can tell you some good blues with harmonicas that kinda go wah.

Anyway, Howlin' Wolf is important, and pretty darn good too. Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Tom Waits, etc. all covered a Howlin' Wolf song here or there. Killin' Floor is amazing. The Chess Box set has most of the Wolf you'd want.

I'm a big fan of Robert Johnson too, and I'd highly recommend him. If by twangy guitar you mean old beat up guitar, yeah, Robert Johnson. Really desolate, sell your soul to the devil music. Just a sad, sad black man with a beat up guitar. Died at 27. And there's only 1 hour and 46 minutes of Robert Johnson recorded, most of it's the same chord progression, and it's all amazing.

Son House. I've had trouble finding a lot of his stuff, but he's something special. Like a more powerful Robert Johnson. A Best Of collection would do pretty good.

Howlin' Wolf is Chicago Electric Blues, and Robert Johnson and Son House are the Delta Blues. There's some sort of a start.

Also, the White Stripes are really based on this type of the music, for the most part. If you haven't looked past their radio hits, do so now. Grab De Stijl and their self titled.

Actually just yesterday a friend recommended a few Led Zepplin songs, saying they were really bluesy, and I looked down and saw Otis Rush and Howlin' Wolf listed as their original artists. So I looked both of those guys up and immediately started to like them. Now I've got an Otis Rush and I think a Howlin' Wolf cd in the mail already. Sounds like I'm on the right track. Chicago Blues seems pretty cool.

I'll have to check out Robert Johnson. I've heard a lot about him, but I haven't really listened to any.