Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
John Frusciante has put out a shitload of albums in the past decade. I've only heard The Empyrean in its entirety. What should I check out? I don't mind the crazy drug addict Frusciante, but I sorta prefer his more conventional stuff, as heard on The Empyrean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

-Atom- posted:

I want to like Muse.

Help me fulfill this wish of mine.

If you're looking for albums, I would recommend first Absolution, then Origin of Symmetry. Those are the "classic/essential" ones to me. The two newer ones are a little weaker but both have some great tracks on them. Their first CD Showbiz is mostly lovely except the title track, Sunburn and Muscle Museum.

Also, watch some live performances on Youtube.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

So is Treasure not quite a good showcase for the Cocteau Twins sound? It's the only one I've heard and I love it to death. My favorite song is "Lorelei", which is the one that got me interested in the band.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Are there any Rasputina songs similar to and as good as "Gingerbread Coffin"? My second favorite is "The New Zero", but these songs aren't totally representative of the band's general sound.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah wiki does't have Gorehound, Grandma's Vomit, Goreflesh, Godphobia, Gore Ensemble, Pyriphlegethon, Black Shining Death, amongst countless others

fuckin scrubs

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Melt Banana?

Bon Iver?

Pre-Californication RHCP?

Explosions in the Sky?

Which Nas albums should I avoid?

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Where do I start with post-Faith No More Mike Patton?

Where do I start with The Residents?

Here is my personal favorite Patton moment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE6WvyYDimA (from the album Suspended Animation)

Fantomas is a great group if you're can let yourself get immersed. If it seems too weird, a better place to start would be the already recommended Director's Cut. Here's The Godfather theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQmKnr0lODE

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 4, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

shitttt!!! quote is edit.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Not even a contest.

Holy poo poo, thanks for this. Why did they depart from this sound!?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

They are certainly more pop radio funk more than anything now. In fact, I prefer Frusciante's solo work over 2000s RHCP

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Dillinger Escape Plan puts on a loving awesome show but I've never listened to their studio work. What to do?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Deerhoof?

Iced Earth?

Blind Guardian? (I have Nightfall in Middle Earth and A Night at the Opera. Both incredible.)

Cynic?

Animal Collective? I hate MPP except for the singles. Does all their stuff sound like new age Beach Boys with annoying synth loops?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Dang, and they've been around since the early 90s? And that didn't help much. Which album is better?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure all his music from Basterds is just from other movies. That's how it seems to be with most Tarantino.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

SMP posted:

Where do I start with Aphex Twin and Venetian Snares? I know I start with drukqs for Aphex Twin, but are there any other essential albums? No clue on Venetian Snares.

For Aphex I might suggest Selected Ambient Works Volume 2 and the Richard D James album. There are amazing tracks on every single album he's put out, though.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Rogue posted:

I'm trying to expand my horizons in metal, I have a few bands that I love and listen to all the time but need to continue to find new stuff.

Where can I get started with Enslaved? Between the Buried and Me? In Flames? Any other similar bands?

Every Between the Buried and Me sounds different, but they can be reasonably segmented into "Metalcore BTBAM" and "Prog Metal BTBAM". Colors and The Great Misdirect both fall into the latter category. Far and away, Colors is the most accessible, varied, technical and it's simply the best thing they've ever done.

If you are more about less prog-metal, songs that are under 10 minutes, full-on heaviness and more plain metalcore, go with their self titled or The Silent Circus.

Alaska is like the bridge between the two types of BTBAM.

Honestly, though, aside from Colors, I can't recommend a single album of theirs. They're all too different, and all of them are top notch.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Fuklaw posted:

Thanks for the Death in June recommendations, guys.

Oh god yes, I accidentally started with Honky and it pretty much turned me off the Melvins, I had no idea what everyone was on about. Then I got (a) Senile Animal and worked my way backward from there and everything was awesome.

Between the Buried and Me: Colors is utterly fantastic, one of my favourite metal albums of the last decade. After that, The Great Misdirect is similar but a bit more melodic, and Alaska is a bit more straightforward.

Huh? How is The Great Misdirect more melodic than Colors? It's the opposite as far as I'm concerned.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Number 12 Looks Like You's "Worse Than Alone" is one of the best goddamn albums I've heard in a long time. I've tried to listen to older individual songs by them, and I haven't been impressed. What's the next album I should get?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

How about Xiu Xiu? I have Women as Lovers and I like some of the songs a bit, but a lot of them are just too weird and creepy for me. Does all their/Jamie Stewart's stuff sound like this?

oh, and Tom Waits?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Fela Kuti?

Ras Michael?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

Where do I start with The Black Dahlia Murder?

Miasma

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Meshuggah?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

screenwritersblues posted:

Yes I am in idiot who mistakenly type Funeral twice.

Shoulda kept it that way ^_^

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Mars Volta?

Murder by Death? (I like the song "You are the Last Dragon")

Opeth?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Blackwater Park is the most accessible. Work your way in both directions from there.

Favorites: Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, and Still Life

Just be ready for an amazing journey.

Thanks for this. I just picked up Blackwater Park and it pretty much blew me away.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

Greatest poo poo is a good compilation too, at least in my opinion. There's plenty of tracks on those two discs from enough points in their history that if there's a chance you'd like any era of KMDFDM at all you will learn which ones. Some people don't like compilation albums, but a band as long-lasting at KMFDM really warrants one.

What about Daft Punk?
I like the Tron Legacy soundtrack if that means anything.

I would say that Alive 07 is a perfect introduction to Daft Punk, because it features so many of their songs and is one of the greatest live sets of all time. If you don't want a live album, then definitely go for Discovery.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

Nickelback?

Okay, not.
How do I Radiohead properly?

I say start with The Bends and move chronologically. By the time you get to Kid A/Amnesiac you will be very confused.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Echo and the Bunnymen?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Dolphin posted:

Here's a biggy: Phillip Glass? I listened to the score to Koyaanisqatsi a lot as a child and I've always loved it. I've been looking at albums of his work, but he's just so damned prolific that it makes it hard to find where to start.

I am mostly familiar with Glass' piano works. I suggest checking out his Solo Piano album http://www.amazon.com/Philip-Glass-Solo-Piano/dp/B0000026Y4

it features the five Metamorphosis pieces, and two incredible pieces named "Wichita Sutra Vortex" and "Mad Rush" the latter being my all time favorite Glass piece (and of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW3Y4OuTPHQ

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Where do I start with Death?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

machchunk posted:

You mean the death metal band, right? (the punk band only has two albums so that's way easy to work out) Human is IMO at least their second best album, and it gives a good picture of both the traditional death metal of their first three albums and the progressive/technical death metal of the last three albums by being essentially a transition between the two styles. If between e.g. "Flattening of Emotions" and "Cosmic Sea" you prefer the former, you're going to like the early work the best, in which case, just proceed backwards chronologically from that album; if you prefer the latter song, go for Symbolic next.

Yeah. I had no idea there was a punk band with the same name. Thanks for this!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Alcest?

Black Mountain?

Yes?

Wes Montgomery? (I have Boss Guitar, love it, especially the lower-tempo numbers)

Squarepusher?

The Acacia Strain?

Portishead?

Violent Femmes?

thanks in advance!!

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 21, 2012

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Moeru posted:

Hate to quote something from a page back but can you define "insane stuff". Is this just musically nuts or peeing on chickens during concerts insane?

Earlier Dillinger is both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I think Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust is a bad starting point because it is basically completely unrepresentative of the band's general sound.

I say start with Ágætis byrjun , as it is far and away still their greatest album and totally showcases all of the things that make the group so memorable and great. After that, move chronologically and only after you have taken everything else in, go back and listen to their debut if you want.