Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo

Octavio posted:

Rush, Yes and King Crimson are three bands I've wanted to get into for a while. I've heard Tom Sawyer by Rush, I've seen all good people by Yes and 21st Century Schizoid Man and Epitaph by King Crimson. I like all of them =).

Even though I don't care that much about them I'd say Moving Pictures is a good starting place for Rush.

King Crimson's output splits into several considerably different eras. The songs you heard are from the classic debut In the Court of the Crimson King, so by all means start there. Red is an excellent hard rocking album from the 70s and Discipline is clearly the best studio album of the new-wavey 80s output (but the live Absent Lovers is stunning).

Yes' best, in my opinion, is Close to the Edge. The two former albums -- Fragile and The Yes Album have shorter songs and hence may be more "beginner-friendly".

Willie The Disk posted:

Classical music?

You'll really have to narrow this one down. Is there a particular composition, instrumentation or style you know you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo

dflanny posted:

Anyone know a good place to begin with Einsturzende Neubauten?

I did it with the Strategies Against Architechture compilations. Very much recommended.

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo

Hartman posted:

Sorry if mine is too general, but where do I start with Jazz. I never really was into music growing up, save the oldies station that my parents had on in the car, so can someone give me a few popular artists for each major category (and tell me what those categories are)?

Man, there's an ongoing thread on the first page exactly about getting into jazz.

Nevertheless, my answer is Kind of Blue.

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo
Where do I start with Katatonia? I understand they've gone through a slow transformation in style, but are there notable standouts in their catalogue?

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo

WantlessPonder posted:

Camel

Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness are their most classic albums. I like Moonmadness best myself, "Air Born" is a heartrendingly beautiful song. If you prefer your Camel without vocals, The Snow Goose is a fully instrumental release.

Their later output isn't entirely terrible either, at least Nude and Rajaz I find completely agreeable, if a bit lukewarm. Camel is generally rather "easy listening" prog, much unlike...

Van der Graaf Generator: the only album I'm familiar with is their magnum opus Pawn Hearts and while very respected, I think it's a hideously difficult album. I just got Godbluff and H to He Who Am the Only One but haven't had a chance to form an opinion on them yet. I'd still wager they're easier albums to start with.

EDIT: Oh my. After just one listen of Godbluff -- get this one.

voland fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo

etard knievel posted:

Frank Zappa: ' (Apostrophe) is good because it's kind of in the middle of his funny pop stuff and his weird experimental stuff but if you're looking for primarily the former get Sheik Yerbouti, and for the latter get Burnt Weenie Sandwich & Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Pretty much this, and I'll also mention One Size Fits All, which pairs quite nicely with Apostrophe.

An alternative approach is to get the Läther 3 CD box, which has a ton of material and serves as a great introduction to Zappa's stylistic diversity.