Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone mind telling me where to get started with Dub Reggae in general? I've only heard a couple of tracks from the genre but I really liked what I heard, who are the 'big names' I can get started with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Where do I start with Jay-Z? I've only really heard the odd single here and there but I like him a lot, where to first?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

The Consultant posted:

noise. i like Merzbow and Gerogerigegege but everything else i found (i honestly haven't looked very hard) just sounded like people messing around with sound effects rather than fully realized noise compositions.

You might enjoy Glenn Branca- an influential No Wave composer who was one of the first to show the real artistic value in noise. Unfortunately good quality recordings of his work are fairly hard to come by, but to get an idea of what he's like, here's a couple of youtubes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqHz7cUw4Ls&feature=related - Solo performance in 1978
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fVUFJf4oE&feature=related - Lesson No.1 for Electric Guitar

In fact, the No Wave scene in general seems like it would be a good place to look for noise, as it was all about making atonal, chordless monstrosities

Teenage Jesus & The Jerks- "Orphans"
Teenage Jesus & The Jerks- "Race Mixing"
Sonic Youth- "I Wanna Be Your Dog"
Theoretical Girls- "Computer Dating"
Mars- "Helen Forsyth"

And for older stuff, definatly check out Lou Reeds "Metal Machine Music" and some early Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band stuff. Don't listen to your dad- They're great!

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
^^ Wow, this is awesome. And from my own hometown as well!

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Wampa Stompa posted:

Since you've all been so helpful so far, here are three more bands I really need to get into, all kind of in the same vein. Each has a pretty massive discography. Where should I begin?

Boris
The Melvins
Sunn O)))

Never really listened to Sunn, but for Boris start with 'Smile' and 'Pink' which are probably their two most accessible albums, and then move on accordingly depending on whether you like their heavy or droney stuff. For The Melvins, start with Houdini and then go wherever.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Buddy Holly only released three albums whilst he was alive and had a smattering of posthumous singles so TBH unless you feel like splashing out on the whole discography you're probably best off just grabbing a decent compilation CD. I can't speak as much for Roy Orbison, but Rock n' Roll in general was a singles-based genre until the mid to late 60's, so you're probably best off doing the same with him.

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 20, 2010

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I've been listening to The Plastic Ono Band a lot recently, where do I go next with Yoko Ono's solo stuff?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm kinda starting to get into punk, and I've got some Ramones, Sex Pistols, and Clash singles, and Raw Power, but beyond that, I'm kinda clueless.

That's a good start point, as you've got pretty much the four 'core' sounds of punk, each of which kinda spread off in their own direction. Which of those artists are you more leaning towards?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, well in that case you should definitely dig into the UK punk scene from 1977-80 which is where pretty much all of those 90's revivalist bands stole their poo poo from (and IMO, I feel most of it is a pretty poor imitation). Pick up 'Singles Going Steady' by The Buzzcocks straight away as it's pretty much the perfect pop-punk album and predates Dookie by about 15 years. Then after that check out 'Damned Damned Damned' by The Damned, which was the first full-length punk album to be released in the UK, and The Clash's S/T debut. Also X-ray Spex's 'Germ Free Adolescents' and The Jams 'Snap!' (a greatest hits compilation, but a really good one) are fantastic albums too, and have a bit more of a ska edge as well.

e: here's a few youtubes

The Buzzcocks- What Do I Get?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EEPvXlTUnU

The Damned- Neat Neat Neat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE-UbbTjcGY

X Ray Spex- Oh Bondage, Up Yours!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AS4bBEMT44

The Jam- Town Called Malice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXTrCEXlLKY

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 31, 2010

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

A Violence Gang posted:

Started exploring David Bowie's catalog. Loved Hunky Dory and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars; to a lesser extent The Man Who Sold the World. Didn't really care for "Heroes", Aladdin Sane or Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps). The stuff I liked reminds me a lot of the best songwriting of Paul McCartney, Elton John or Ray Davies -- innovative, but that never gets in the way of crafting fantastic rock/pop melodies.

Nothing I've read suggests an obvious place to go next based on those preferences. Any other Bowie I should check out or are those albums the only ones that sound like what appeals to me?

Try Diamond Dogs, which was his last hurrah as Ziggy before he moved into other directions, and possibly Pin-Ups, a cover album he released at around about the same time of lesser known hits of artists that inspired him. Also worth a look is Heathen- a much later album that has him re-exploring his songwriting roots, albeit with a much darker tone.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Gimme an underground rap primer: Where do I start with Del, Mos Def and MF DOOM/Madvillain?

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 12, 2011

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Voodoofly posted:

In my opinion:

Del: Start with Deltron 3030. It is a classic album. I'm not going to debate whether it is better than Dr. Octagon (it is), but at the least Deltron 3030 is a great introduction to Del, Dan the Automator, Kid Koala, and basically a beta-version of the Gorillaz first album. After that, I would actually say Hieroglyphics - Third Eye Vision is the next best place with Del. He isn't on everything, but he is definitely the standout star. You could also go back to I Wish My Brother George Was Here, but that album is definitely more of the early 90s bomb-squad afrocentric style rap than the style Del would later embody. As for his later solo albums, I'll be honest and admit I never really got into them much (which doesn't mean they are bad, just that the couple of times I've heard them I wasn't feeling it/in the mood/whatever).

Mos Def: Really hard to go wrong with either Black Star or his first solo album Black on Both Sides. If you put a gun to my head, and said you were interested in Mos Def specifically, I'd say go with Black on Both Sides simply because you get more of a range of the styles Mos was experimenting with (for better and for worse). I consider both albums classics, though, so if you like Mos at all you will probably get both. After that, people are split on his second solo album (The New Danger). I think it has its moments, but it is definitely worth saving for the end of the journey. Stay the everloving gently caress away from his third solo abomination True Magic. Seriously, stay far, far away. However, The Ecstatic is a really strong album - perhaps his best top to bottom. It is also a great introduction to more modern hip hop trends, and to Madlib's production style as well (he is all over the album), which would fit into your third question.

MF Doom/Madvillain: You answered your own question, start with the Madvillain album. After that, I'll let someone else fill in. He has a huge catalog and I'm not the hugest MF Doom fan, so most of my favorite albums of his are with other producers (such as Madlib or Danger Mouse on The Mouse and the Mask). The first Victor Vaughn album is decent, and I know some people love it, but seriously start with Madvillain.

Hey, couple of weeks late with this but just wanted to say thanks for this, really great rec. Got hold of a few albums on this list, currently digging Black Star the most at the moment. Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

LordPants posted:

I've heard a bit of Yeezus on the radio, where do I start With Kanye West and where do I start with Grizzly Bear.

Late Registration is very accessible and has a lot of Kanye's big radio singles, but My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is his most critically acclaimed work and might be a better starting point if you got into him through Yeezus. All of his albums sound pretty different though, your best bet is to listen to a bunch of his singles and track down the albums of the ones you like the most.