Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
You've probably already listened to it, but I'll mention it just in case you haven't. Black Sabbath is goddamn essential. It basically set the entire stage for stoner and doom metal scene. In particular, check out Paranoid and Master of Reality. MoR has better production than Paranoid if you care about that, but both are brilliant albums.

Also, check out Kyuss. They were pioneers of the more modern stoner sound, and they kick rear end. Grab the album Blues for the Red Sun. It's trippy as gently caress. Just don't listen to it out of order. Some of the songs are pretty good on their own, but a lot of it doesn't make much sense. But, when you put it together it's really mind bending. They just pummel you with riffs. It's good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

HP Hovercraft posted:

Rush.

I've heard and liked Moving Pictures, especially YYZ. Where should I go next?

Listen to 2112. It's up their on the same tier of quality as Moving Pictures but it's a bit more progressive. It's worth it for the 20 minute long title track alone, which is a stunning of example of how to make a longass song actually work.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

WantlessPonder posted:

I had heard a lot of good things about Strapping Young Lad for years, and I finally decided to give them a listen. I listened to "Love?" and I really liked it. So, should I start with that album or is there another one you'd recommend?

Alien is excellent, but City is SYL at their most aggressive and chaotic. It's considered to be their classic and I'd probably start with that one.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Shakespearean Beef posted:

Where should I start with Black Sabbath? They're a huge band and have influnced many of my favorite artists, but I havn't heard much of them apart from a couple of famous songs. I took a look at their discog and its huge, where would a good place to begin be?

The other posts are kinda overwhelming recommending everything, and I agree with them for the most part cause goddamn I love Sabbath, but I'm gonna make this easy for you. Start with Paranoid, and then do Master of Reality. Those are the two are the essential Sabbath sound. Paranoid has more radio singles and all the famous tracks off it so it's probably easier to start at, but Master of Reality has better production and still brings the serious doomy riffs. I'd place the two albums at about even, I'm just giving Paranoid the slight edge if you're looking for their most well known stuff along with being awesome.

Also, keep in mind that whatever you do, don't get Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die. Every other Ozzy album ranges from good to fantastic though, it's just those two that really suck and might scare you off the band if you try them out early in your Sabbath experience. All the Dio stuff is great too. The rest of their stuff's a bit more hit and miss. When people talk about liking Sabbath, they're usually talking about the Ozzy/Dio years, so that narrows it down to 11 albums, which while still a lot shaves off about 7 you don't need. Like everyone's saying, most of those are good, but to start with, definitely go with Paranoid and Master of Reality.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Where do I start with the Melvins? I picked up Sieg Howdy just for the hell of it near a year ago now, and I really dug that one, but with 19 studio albums that apparently are crazy varied and all good I really don't have any idea where to move on from there.

EDIT: I suppose for clarification, abrasiveness, heaviness and lack of melody are non-issues for me so don't worry about it if where you think I should go next involves 15 minute long drone tracks. I'll probably enjoy it, I'm just looking for some direction.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 16, 2009

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Where do I start with Clutch? I'm digging the new songs up on their myspace, but they've got a pretty big backcat. Where's a good place to start?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Sick, I'll give that a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

nadabolt posted:

Anal oval office

All of their albums sound pretty near the same and are unlistenable. Choose whichever one you think has the funniest song titles.