Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Another vague genre post, I know. But, where would I start with '70s (or '70s-style) funk? I've heard a lot that I like in the genre lately, but I don't know any band or album names.

Well, I guess you can't go past Parliament and Funkadelic for a start. I don't like either of them very much, but they are both George Clinton and he's probably the most revered figure in 70s funk. Then you have James Brown's later stuff, which got deeper and funkier as it went along. You should also check out The Commodores, Earth Wind & Fire, Kool & The Gang, most of the poo poo that came out on Atlantic after 1970, later stuff by The Temptations, early Prince, The Meters, Cymande...the list goes on. Listen to the big groups of the genre first and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass

bagmonkey posted:

I really, really want to get into 60s and 70s era Funk music. I went to a funk night at a hipster hang out and man, it was great. Any recommendations are great, but I think what I'd really love are a few online streams that consist mostly of funk music and will help me explore the genre. Thanks :)

https://www.soulstrut.com

The streams aren't great quality, but the selections are. Also, go read the funk thread I started - I think you'll need archives though, I can't find the thread.