Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Scaredabeez
Feb 10, 2008

almightyjimbob posted:

The Information is probably your best bet, I felt like it was sort of a continuation of Guero.

Sea Change is my personal favorite, but it's quite different from those albums. More folky, more mellow, lyrics that actually make sense. Mutations is also folky, with occasional nods to alt-country, but it's more upbeat than Sea Change. Midnite Vultures is more funky and soulful, and might be a good idea to check it out after The Information. I'm not very familiar with pre-Odelay stuff.

Let me add that everything else that you didn't mention is also great. I never liked Guero, and I never really got into the Information. Both of those records pale in comparison to the great Beck albums. What about his biggest hit, "Loser?" Mellow Gold is a fuckin' fantastic album. To me it's total lo-fi wackiness but mastered by some genius that knew how to make sense of it all. If you like Sea Change, you should get One Foot In the Grave. Most people who like Beck over the age of 24 or 25 will tell you how much they love this record. Also, you should check out Stereopathetic Soul Manure, a collection of One Foot/Mellow Gold b-sides. And also, look somewhere for the tracks "Steve Threw Up" and "Satan Gave Me A Taco." Mutations and Midnite Vultures are also dope. Mutations was probably the last great record he made.

That people are settling for The Info and Guero as Beck records breaks my heart.

So to recap, Beck's essentials:
Mellow Gold
One Foot in the Grave
Mutations
Odelay
Sea Change
Mindite Vultures
Stereopathetic Soul Manure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Scaredabeez
Feb 10, 2008

Rhg0061r posted:

Good to place to start with Dinosaur Jnr anyone?

Dinosaur Jr are really great, and their second two albums are probably their best as far as songwriting goes, those being You're Living All Over Me and Bug. Every album beyond these two has at least one or two mindflaying tracks, though they tend to come with a little bit of filler. Earbleeding Country, their greatest hits album does a pretty good job of collecting the good jams up to the time when J went solo (before Lou and Murph rejoined).

All the reccomendations aside, if you happen to see a Dinosaur Jr CD for really cheap, go ahead and buy it because chances are if you like them already you will like a few of the songs on the album enough to listen to them over and over. Even though the later albums aren't as consistent, they never stopped doing what they were good at or took any weird, incomprehensible left turns.

MC Scaredabeez
Feb 10, 2008

® posted:

Where do I start with Pavement?

Slanted and Enchanted, their first, is pure magic. You can get it in reissued form, with lots of really great bonus tracks including BBC sessions and their follow-up EP. The album by itself is a really special one from start to finish, and the bonus material almost takes some of the power of the original away when consumed in one sitting, which is a testament to how well the bonus material holds up.

Many people rank their albums mostly chronologically, with Slanted or their slightly more polished sophomore album Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain on top, and the rest descending in quality. There are reissues of every proper album up to and including Brighten the Corners (which is my sleeper fave) with lots of nice bonus tracks to wade through, which is great.

For me, their third, Wowee Zowee is too much filler. Often songs hit a peak and then fizzle out from too much jamming. Other people love its looseness. Terror Twilight, their final album is also hit-or-miss, but for a different reason. It's much more restrained and rehearsed-sounding than all of their previous albums, but it's got some really good songs.

(beaten to the punch...)