Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

3D GAY WORLD and Scythe posted:

Tangerine Dream

Anything from their Virgin years is sure to please. Many of the later albums are way too New Age-y. I would recommend Stratosfear, or Ricochet, and Tangram or Exit. But seriously, the closer you get to "now", the worse it gets. All the others mentioned are great, as well.

I would also highly recommend getting the vinyl releases (relatively easy to find). At least don't get the CD re-releases. They add a ton of overly dated calliope sounds (among other things) from a typical muzak keyboard. The originals are all just nice analog goodness.

Edgar Froese's solo album Stuntman is also a good one to check out. Scarlet Score for Mescalero is one of my favorite songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

viva posted:

I'd really like to get into Sigur Ros. Recommendations?

Seconding (), but I would recommend waiting until it is snowy outside, and take a walk and listen. To me, at least, the album feels like being in cold weather but wearing a warm coat.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

For Death Cab, I'd say We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes or Transatlantacism.

These two, but also The Photo Album.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

/\/\/\ I listened to Postal Service before I did Death Cab, and my favorites are The Photo Album and Transatlanticism .

Another logical step would be Dntel (Jimmy Tamborello) with Life is Full of Possibilities. Though, you probably know about that already.

Iraff posted:

Where do I start with Kraftwerk?

The Man-Machine and Computer World are the most accessible. From there, I would go to Autobahn and Trans-Europe Express. I love both of the latter, but they could be tedious for a first time listener (maybe not Autobahn, but it's length of the title track is a bit much, and the rest of the songs feel incomplete to me). T-EE is nice, but the motif of metallic train track noises could put you off, but it's got some great songs on it.

Tour de France is good. It uses more of the modern electronic aesthetic, but I much prefer the old, analog sound. If you like house music you would probably like it more.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Popcorn posted:

I love the track Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence by Ryuchi Sakamoto. What else should I listen to?

I've thought most of Michita's music has a similar feel. This is more based on the live performance of Mr. Lawrence, as this is more traditional instrumentation. Similar compositions, but it is hip hop... incredibly beautiful hip hop.

Yukar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw9M47V71aU

Allegro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwiUhC3PGXg

DJ Okawari is also similar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGvIzFRcRMA

Also, if you haven't listened to Yellow Magic Orchestra. Not quite similar, but something Sakamoto was involved with.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

But don't miss the track Nice Age off of Xoo Multiplies. Otherwise, I agree. The American release of that album is more of a compilation with SSS, so there will be redundancies.

Find the Greek Theater 1979 videos for some of the best versions of some of their songs.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Jawbreaker holds up well. Just pop-punk enough, but still really, really solid. First Jets to Brazil album is worth checking out as well. Blake is a great lyricist and songwriter.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

internet celebrity posted:

Xiu Xiu? I've heard Girl With Basket of Fruit but I know they have a lot of range in their sound. What's something in their discography that's a bit more accessible?

Dear God I Hate Myself and Always might be good starting points. Both have some good pop songs with the Xiu Xiu experimental noise added to them. Dear God was the first album with Angela Seo as a member and I think he has a big part in shaping their sound in that direction. Production is a little more polished overall but still noisey.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Junpei posted:

Got some one-hit wonders I might think about doing deeper dives on.

Deee-Lite (Hit: Groove Is In The Heart)

First two albums are okay and have some fun songs but don't expect anything like Groove. Second has a little better production overall and closer to the sound on Groove. Some repetitive dance tracks on World Clique (their first) that probably sounded fresh in the early 90s but pretty dated now.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Junpei posted:

Just listened to the Kendrick Lamar album drat. and... drat. It was great.

What about Kendrick's other stuff, is that good?

Yeah and pretty much any track he has a feature on is a great verse so you can't really go wrong with him. His performance at the Grammys is worth watching http://premierwuzhere.com/videos/watch-kendrick-lamars-performance-at-the-58th-grammys/

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Keret posted:

Bossa Nova?

The guy at the coffeeshop lent me an Antonio Carlos Jobim compilation and I'm a big fan of it, but prior to now my only real exposure to Bossa Nova has been Thievery Corporation's interpretations of it in their early stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckmcdcQ2mEg

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

Mostly listen to electronic (lately early stuff from the 60s/70s) and rock with forays into heavy metal and more recently psychedelic/acid rock.

Tangerine Dream might be of interest (if that hasn't been covered already by your 60s/70s electronic). Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet and Stratosfear are them at their best (in my opinion). The albums before are a lot more experimental but any of those are good places to start.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

me your dad posted:

Electronic stuff along the lines of Matmos and Aphex Twin's non-ambient stuff?

(Meant to post this in the recommendation thread but I'll leave it here instead.)

For stuff like Aphex: Jodey Kendrick. First put out a couple EPs and album on Rephlex (Aphex's label) and is very prolific and some people argue online (at least at first) that it had to be an RDJ alias.

early Rephlex stuff:
https://edmsoundwave.bandcamp.com/album/10

EDM A (fake various artist compilation its all him)
https://edmsoundwave.bandcamp.com/album/edm-a

EDM D
https://edmsoundwave.bandcamp.com/album/edm-d

There are albums on Spotify Electric Dance Music 1 & 2 that are compliations of tracks from those releases and generally compile the best tracks. Some tracks are hit or miss but there is a lot of amazing stuff in his discography.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Anyone have any opinions about where I should start with Bonnie Raitt? Nick of Time, or something that shows a different side of her range?

This might be more personal preference but I think her debut is great. My mom was a fan of hers in the 70s and listened to her newer stuff that was a hit at the time when I was a kid and I never really took her as seriously until I realized where she came from. The rawness of the debut recording but it still shows all her strengths and talent. Recorded without overdubs so it has a more spontaneous and live and blues music to me always benefits from that instead of being polished and clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

Id at least give Vulnicura a listen after vespertine. It’s probably my second or third favorite of her albums.

Yeah I think Vulnicura is my favorite of hers. It’s the breakup album of the relationship that Vespertine was about the beginning of. It’s a downer but beautiful.

Utopia has a lot of good moments at least check the first three tracks. Medulla - Volta - Biophilia are not that interesting to me but are fine. Vulnicura and Utopia she worked with Arca which breathed a new life in her sound.