Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
What should I start with with Ween?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Any Brian Eno other than Here Come the Warm Jets?

I really liked this album, but I've heard his other stuff is hard to get in to.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
With ELO, I have Out Of The Blue and Eldorado, where do I go next?

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
I have Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Space Oddity, and Hunky Dory. Where do I go after that for Bowie?

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

fourteen hundred posted:

David Bowie

Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust and Low.

They're both really great albums.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
The first Herbie Hancock album I got was Headhunters and I think it is great.

I recently fell in love with Giant Steps by John Coltrane. What should I get next?

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Where do I start with Stereolab?

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Which Best-of compilation/box-set should I get by Frank Sinatra?

For reference, my favorite songs of his are Fly Me To The Moon and My Way

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
What should I check out by Squeeze?

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

Shatner posted:

This has probably been asked, but where do I start with Jazz? I know this is a ridiculously broad question. I need somewhere to start - I've never even dipped my toes in the genre. My interest is to learn jazz guitar. I've read a lot that listening is a big part of learning jazz (almost as much as practicing it), so who do I listen to first?

Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet, Giant Steps by John Coltrane, and Kind of Blue by Miles Davis.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

guy posted:

Beatles

I personally think their best is Revolver. Every song on it is great, from Harrison's political "Taxman" to Lennon's experimental "Tomorrow Never Knows." It is pop bliss. I'd say it is best to start with Revolver, Abbey Road, and The White Album. After that, I'd go with Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, or Magical Mystery Tour. Then after you get them, go with Help! and Let It Be. Then if you care to get into their earlier stuff, get A Hard Days Night and work your way back, but personally I'm not a fan of anything before A Hard Days Night.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
I've not heard Get Lonely, but I have The Sunset Tree, Heretic Pride, and Tallahassee and Sunset Tree is my favorite by far. It is a fantastic album. It has more instrumentation than a lot of Mountain Goats. There are drums, pianos, strings and stuff. The music is really emotional.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Where do I start with Neil Young? I have no idea where to start. If it means anything, I prefer folky acoustic music over electric hard rock. (The two genres it mentions on his wikipedia article)

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

Starsnostars posted:

Where do I start with Animal Collective? I'm tempted to work backwards but is there anything I should really avoid?

In my opinion, you should start with Strawberry Jam. Then go to Merriweather Post Pavilion, and after that Sung Tongs and Feels. If you find yourself loving all of them, Here Comes The Indian is worth checking out too. I'm not crazy over anything pre-dating that though.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
I'd check out Here Comes The Warm Jets and Another Green World

Both are great albums

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Where's a good place to start with Brian Jonestown Massacre?

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

® posted:

Where do I start with Pavement?

I'd say your best bet is Crooked Rain Crooked Rain. It is easily their most accessible, and I think best record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

WeaponX posted:

Electric Light Orchestra?

If you like Beatles-y rock, you have to get Out of the Blue and A New World Record. If you're more into prog-y music, I'd say get their debut.