Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
From a few pages back but whatever.

HVD posted:

Elbow
The Seldom Seen Kid has sold the most copies for a reason. After that, either Leaders Of The Free World (better structured songs) or Asleep In The Back (more sprawling songs). That leaves Cast Of Thousands which always left me a bit cold.

For Primal Scream get Screamadelica (happy dance) or Xtrmntr (paranoid techno-rock) then get the other one. Vanishing Point is the only other album it's easy to recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

shpladoinkle posted:

Now, I've just started on Eels and I thought Beautiful Freak was OK and Electro-Shock Blues was fantastic, is anything else worth it?

Echoing 'Blinking Lights...' but 'Daisies of the Galaxy' is also well worth a look. It's a bit hit-and-miss but when E nails it, it's just awesome.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

screenwritersblues posted:

Bob Dylan

Well, as you mentioned, Blonde on Blonde. Also:
The Times They Are A-Changin' and The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan are his two 'yeah, folk music' albums, while
Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited are the two 'yeah, gently caress folk music' albums of his you should really own.
I really like Another Side of Bob Dylan, but that ones a bit more subjective.

Those are the peak of his '60s output. Since you've got Blood On The Tracks, there's a decent case for not bothering with any other albums. That said, Nashville Skyline and John Wesley Harding have their charms (the former being more slapdash than the latter), while Desire also has some very good stuff. I've never been a huge fan of The Basement Tapes, but plenty are, while the best of his recent albums (that I own) is Love And Theft.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Chinaski posted:

For years I've had the Oasis song "Half the World Away" in my collection, and it struck me tonight how much I like that song. I don't think I've ever heard another Oasis song. What's a good album to check out, with that song in mind?

I'd actually recommend the B-sides collection 'The Masterplan' if you really like that song. None of their albums really sound too much like that, and although the quality's a bit patchy, it's as solid a B-sides collection as I've ever bought. '(What's The Story) Morning Glory?' would be my next recommedation, though. It's more typical of their overall sound, which could be a good or a bad thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
From the bits of reading I've done online, it seems like their debut "Back In The D.H.S.S." is the way to go, particularly if you can get a version with "The Trumpton Riots E.P." included.
That's how I went and I can't recommend it enough.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Elbow

The Seldom Seen Kid is probably their best album, as mentioned. After that, Build A Rocket Boys! or Leaders Of The Free World would be your best bet.
Their first two albums are more divisive: I much prefer Asleep In The Back to Cast Of Thousands, but check out a couple of tracks on Youtube or whatever and decide for yourself at that point.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I enjoyed what Ryan Adams did on Whiskeytown's Strangers Almanac CD, but where would I start with his solo career?

To expand on what 6EQUJ5 said, 'Heartbreaker' is a good approximation of Strangers Almanac, as is 'Ashes & Fire'.
'Jacksonville City Nights' is a bit more honkey-tonk and '29' is a bit more singer-songwriter-y, while 'Easy Tiger', 'Cardinology' & 'Cold Roses' are more country rock.

'Gold', 'Love Is Hell' & 'III/IV' are good albums in their own right, but you might want to look at them a bit later on. 'Rock N Roll' is best ignored unless you're desperate for more stuff.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm looking for some new Jazz suggestions.

I'd say my two favorite albums right now are Saxophone Colossus (Sonny Rollins) and Blues and Roots (Mingus). I really like how these albums combine a jazz soloing and composition sensibility, memorable melodies and the feel and rhythms of other styles (calypso and blues). Any suggestions for albums to follow these up? I have a pretty big collection of Mingus already. I also really love Mingus Plays Piano and Monk Alone. Any other good solo piano albums I should definitely be checking out?

I've gotten quite some mileage out of Atomic's Bikini Tapes, although it's hardly piano-centric.
Boom-Boom is one of the tracks available to stream - give it a listen.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm not usually a big fan of death metal, and they're not strictly death metal (most places seem to categorize the band as Death 'n' Roll), but The Cumshots are pretty great. 'A Life Less Necessary' is the album that got me into them, but 'Just Quit Trying' is also very good.
A couple of tracks from 'Just Quit Trying': Praying For Cancer, Punchdrunk on Death
And a couple from 'A LIfe Less Necessary': Nonversation, This Dog Won't Bite

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fruitpunch posted:

Good place to start with Eels?

There are basically 2 different kinds of Eels album - gentler, more depressing/reflective, music; and blues-y stuff.
For the former, Electro-Shock Blues is the best jumping-off point, referencing the deaths of his father and sister and having some great (and some really loving weird) tracks. It's probably my favourite album of his. If you like it, move on to Daisies Of The Galaxy, Blinking Lights And Other Revelations and End Times in that order.
For the more blues-y stuff, start with Souljacker and if you like it, move on to Shootenanny and Hombre Lobo and then go to Electro-Shock Blues just because it's that good.

Beautiful Freak is a hard album to recommend on the basis that it doesn't really sound like any of his other albums, and the same goes for Tomorrow Morning. Those albums are ones you should pick up once you've decided you like E's thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

quadrophrenic posted:

motorpsycho?

shining was apparently influenced by them to create in the kingdom of kitsch you will be a monster and i can't stop obsessively listening to that album

but

man they have a lot of albums and a lot of them are double albums

They don't really have anything overly jazzy, but Timothy's Monster or Blissard are good indie rock picks from their early period.
If you want something heavier, check out either Trust Us (as mentioned above) or Demon Box.
If you want something more West-Coast Psychedelic Pop, you've got Let Them Eat Cake, Phanerothyme or It's A Love Cult.
If you want something proggier, go for Little Lucid Moments or Still Life With Eggplant.

I am also a big fan of their last couple of studio albums - Here Be Monsters and The Tower. In fact, The Tower would be a good point to start instead of Timothy's Monster or Blissard, as it covers most of the (non-metal) ground they've done in their career. Or there's the Supersonic Scientists compilation they put out a couple of years ago which has something from (I think) every album on.
I own basically their entire catalogue, so hit me up with a PM if you want more specific advice

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Stelio Kontos posted:

So I'm a big Smiths fan but have never really had the urge to delve into Morrissey's solo stuff, that is until this most recent Smiths kick I've been on. He has a lot of material, are all his albums on an even keel or are some standouts and others kinda meh? Is there a good entry point or start from the beginning?

Given what a massive oval office Morrissey is these days, the only moral choice is to pirate everything he's done as a solo artist and make your own mind up.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 20, 2018

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

hexwren posted:

Parklife (their third full-length) probably is the best spot to start with Blur, even though I generally dislike not going chronologically. It's kind of a melting pot of ideas.
If you like the Kinks-ish numbers, go back to their second album (Modern Life is Rubbish) after that.
If you like the big-guitars stuff, skip ahead to the 1997 self-titled.
If you like it weirder and dronier, skip to 13.
If you like it almost exactly like Parklife but slightly less good (apart from a couple all-time great tunes) and a bit more depressing, go directly to the next album after it, The Great Escape.
Pretty much everything else can wait until after you get through those records.

They're one of my all-time favorite bands, but there's not much you can debate about as regards how you approach them.

Personally, I'd give The Great Escape the edge over Parklife, and I'd say that The Great Escape is only really depressing once you're into it enough to start listening to the lyrics (and then it is quite depressing indeed).
But yeah, those two and then Modern Life is Rubbish & Blur are the 4 best albums by most sane evaluations.

I'd also rate Think Tank and The Magic Whip as better than 13, but that's definitely YMMV territory.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Parklife is the most well-regarded album, with 'Blur' probably second and Modern Life is Rubbish third.
Which is debatable, since I think The Great Escape is actually the best, but people are put off by the jaunty tunes and don't really notice that it's probably the most depressing album to sell a shitload of copies to actual teenagers.

Also, Damon Albarn has always been an insufferable prick, but he was particularly obnoxious around that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

hatelull posted:

I think Rings Around the World is a great entry point for peak Super Furry Animals. It runs the gauntlet of psychedelic pop songs and utter chaos. Phantom Power is the follow up and should not be missed if you enjoy what you hear on Rings Around the World.

From there I suggest either jumping forward to Dark Days/Light Years (the last album before their hiatus and the last studio offering they released), or regressing back to Radiator to get a feel of their earlier material. If you want more of a rawk power pop sound, check out Mwng (the album entirely in Welsh) or Hey Venus!

A favorite SFA song for me, just for kicks ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJWncmFQ9Q

Rings Around the World is arguably the band's worst album (tied with Love Kraft), so I can't recommend it as a starting point. In order of release:

Fuzzy Logic - raw, skuzzy, power pop.
Radiator - more refined, still skuzzy, still power pop. A good point to dip your toe in.
Guerrilla - more of an electronica vibe, but still very good. I'm biased, since this album was my first of theirs.
Mwng - barely-produced psychedelic indie rock.
Rings Around the World - lots of polish, not enough sharp edges. A big budget mess.
Phantom Power - power pop, expertly done. Another excellent dipping-in point.
Love Kraft - 2 great songs, 2 more good songs and a bunch of crap.
Hey Venus! - lean production, very good songs.
Dark Days/Light Years - a buffet spread, but a really good buffet.

Thinking about it I'd probably suggest Dark Days/Light Years to see if you like the band. If you like the skuzzier stuff, head back to Radiator; if you like the poppier stuff, head to Phantom Power.
If you don't like anything, then just stop consuming music, you f