Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

:yum:

Iraff fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

What's a good launching point for Sigur Ros? I know that they only have five LPs, but is there a clear winner or any to stay clear from?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for the Sigur Ros help. Both were quite good, but () was right up my ally.

I thought I could get into Earth, Wind & Fire just by exploring a little bit, but Jesus Jones, they have 19 studio albums. I'm sort of averse to compilation albums, but if the Greatest Hits album is really the way to go, say so. I jut much prefer to get the whole sound of an album together, but sometimes you have a Queen situation, where each album is mostly padding for a couple of singles.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Squarepusher has a sight more albums than I expected. What are this guy's key albums?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

NicktheBishop posted:

Feed Me Weird Things and Big Loada are probably (definitely) the most accessible, and are both terrific. I don't like his more experimental stuff, but even if you do you can't go wrong with these.

Awesome, thanks. Do you consider Ultravisitor experimental? I found myself really enjoying "Iambic 9 Poetry", and I'm wondering if that album is more of the same.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Kraftwerk?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Talking Heads?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Cocteau Twins?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Ulrich Schnauss?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with The Brian Jonestown Massacre?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Chronologically.

Skip the self-titled

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

TheNintenGenius posted:

Springsteen doesn't have a self-titled.

(I know what you mean, though; Greetings from Asbury Park is kind of rough going since Springsteen hadn't quite found his voice yet.)

:doh: I should have known that, it's just mistakenly labeled in my iTunes library.

Skipping the self-titled also applies to Bowie, by the way.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Ufomammut?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Harry Privates posted:

Where can I start with Yo La Tengo and Built to Spill?

YLT has a pretty solid discography if you ask me, but I recommend starting at I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One. If it doesn't grab you (or even if it does) then try And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

where do I start with Sun Ra?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

Where do I start with Imogen Heap? Already heard Frou Frou, and want to explore a bit further.

she only has three albums dog, any of those is probably a good starting point

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Can we please cut down on these? Just because an artist has a small discography, doesn't mean there isn't a huge gap in quality between each album, and answering like this is of absolutely no help to the person who asked.

fair enough. Imogen Heap is pop music so it's not as if any of the albums are particularly difficult listens. Speak for Yourself is probably the best by a very small margin, followed by iMegaphone, followed by the altogether bland Ellipse.

To be honest, none of them are as good as Details, and her solo albums are nigh indistinguishable from one another, so there's not a definitive starting point. If you really like Speak for Yourself then you'll likely enjoy the rest, and if you don't, then you won't likely find much of value in them.

Iraff fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 4, 2010

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I posted this a while ago, and I got a reply recommending Sign Of The Times, which I really like, also LoveSexy got added to this list. So besides the above, and the two new ones, which ones should I get next?

Maybe the Love Symbol Album or Parade? To be honest I think you're deep enough into the discog to safely say that you "like" Prince, so at this point you might just be better off experimenting for yourself.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Carl Cox? Are there definitive mixes?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Z-Ro?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

moss piglet posted:

Where do I start with Low?

the first three albums are all solid gold so that's a good place. there's brilliant songs on all of their albums though, so you can't really go wrong

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Sunset Tree is what a lot of people will say and it's a good example of his polished sound w/ pianos and strings and whatever. I like his lo-fi stuff tons better and if that sounds like your bag you should get All Hail West Texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

What's the best Serge Gainsbourg?