Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I know there are only five albums, but any recommendations on where to start with Elbow? This live version of Grounds For Divorce was pretty sweet and I've had their stupidly fun little cover of Independent Women in my collection (and in my head) for a while now but never really tracked them down.

YMMV but I honestly think they're way more interesting live than on an album. The album Grounds for Divorce comes from, The Seldom Seen Kid, is the only one I really dig, though I just found out they had a new one come out last year.

Where do I start with Smog/Bill Callahan? I love the cover of Chosen One that the Flaming Lips did on their Providing Needles for Your Balloons EP, and I like the John Peel Session recording by Bill so I'm probably going to pick up that rarities compilation he has, but I don't really know where to start with all of his other albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Lacklustre Hero posted:

I want to get into The Cure, but their discography is so daunting. Absolutely love The Caterpillar, Close To Me and The Love Cats, but some of their other songs I've listened to are a bit...boring.

This Greatest Hits; http://www.amazon.com/The-Cure-Greatest-Hits/dp/B00005R09Z/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335381566&sr=8-1; that was released in 2001 is how I got into the Cure. I can't really argue with anything that hatelull said except that you might not want to bother with the Dark Trilogy at first. One other comment, Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me, is a great album, but it's really loving long and all over the place stylistically.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Where do I start with David Byrne's solo career? I love pretty much every Talking Heads album but the only thing I've heard from him besides that is the St Vincent collaboration which is amazing. So which of his solo albums are worth picking up?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Mr. Tibbs posted:

I'd actually say start with Međ suđ í eyrum viđ spilum endalaust. It is their most accessible album and has some of my favorite songs. From that album I'd start with:

"Inní mér syngur vitleysingur"
"Gobbledigook"

Next, I would move on to Takk, with "Hoppipolla" being my personal favorite song off the album.

If you like what you hear so far, then I think you should do what Rageaholic Monkey suggested and just go from beginning to end. Their most recent album, Valtari, was good but a lot more laid back and ethereal than either Međ suđ or Takk.

Gobbledigook is my favorite song by them, but I have a really hard time telling one Sigur Ros song from the next. I would say that album is worth getting and is definitely a good starting point. I have a hard time getting into instrumental music and since Sigur Ros is all made up language it's pretty much instrumental music. I couldn't really connect with it but Smoking Crow might not have that issue. I don't know how familiar Smoking Crow is with them to start with but just wanted him/her to be aware.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

-Atom- posted:

The only album with the "Hopelandic" language is ( ), which is god damned amazing to listen to while going for a long walk on a lightly snowy morning.

Really? I thought all their songs were in Hopelandic. I don't speak their actual language either though so its obvious why I thought that.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Thoogsby posted:

What Sonic Youth album should I get?

Depends on how much noise you like. Their first albums through Daydream Nation really embrace the noise rock, no wave scene. Daydream is when their music starts to get more accessible for most people. Any songs you may have heard from Sonic Youth on the radio or in a soundtrack were probably from one of the albums between Daydream and Washing Machine. These are my favorite albums along with Rather Ripped which came out after a string of albums that I don't really have an opinion on as I haven't listened to them in years.

Fake Edit: Whoops took too long to reply.

Thoogsby posted:

I went with Sister. Did I gently caress up?

If you like noise rock and nontraditional songwriting then no. If you prefer more traditional pop songs then you probably should have gone with one of the early 90s albums. Just remember if you don't like Sister you may still like one of their other albums.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

TyChan posted:

Any suggestions for where to start with Super Furry Animals? Should I just go for the Songbook compilation?

I wouldn't go with Songbook as it came out before their most recent 3 albums and it focuses too much on the first 2 which aren't great in my opinion. I would start with Rings Around the World and if you dig that go for any of their albums from Guerrilla on, though you should know that Mwng is entirely in Welsh. Personally Rings Around the World, Phantom Power and Hey Venus! are my favorite albums.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
All I know about Aimee Mann is she's doing a project with Ted Leo, and was on an episode of Portlandia. Beyond that she's just one of those names that I've always heard but never knew her music. Looking at Wiki I can see she's been around for way longer than I realized, so where do I start if I want to see if I dig her sound?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

hatelull posted:

"Friday I'm in Love" causes me physical pain.

Friday I'm in Love >>>>>> anything on The Tops. :colbert:

a kitten posted:

I love the albums: More Adventurous by Rilo Kiley, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco. But, contrary to how I normally react when I find an album I like, those are the only things by those artists that I own. It's weird, I've had all three of those albums since they were brand new, but it's like I subconsciously think that I'll only find disappointment if I dig deeper into their discographies.

Rilo Kiley: They only have a couple of albums and the only one I can recommend with no reservations besides More Adventurous is Execution of All Things. Those two are the highlight of their career. I personally enjoy all of their albums but those two are my favorites. Jenny Lewis also has a sweet solo album called Acid Tongue and a project with her boyfriend called Jenny and Johnny that is really good as well.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rockzilla posted:

I won a pair of tickets to a Michael Franti & Spearhead show next month. I've never heard anything by them, what's a good album to check out to decide if I'm interested in going to see them live?

Just grab whatever album is most recent, which I think is Sound of Sunshine. I don't think he really does deep cuts live.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Not so much where do I start but where do I go with Bjork?

I really like Homogenic and I really like a lot of the Sugarcubes debut album. What else will I dig? Her voice is just fantastic. I think I read that at least one of her albums is heavy on orchestral backing, which usually bores me so preferably not that album.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Programmable Soda posted:

Funny you mention that because Homogenic is heavy on the string arrangements, so it's probably that one? If not, it could be Volta, though that one features brass sections in every other song.

If you like the quieter songs in Homogenic (Immature, All Is Full of Love, All Neon Like, Unravel) I'd suggest Vespertine, which has a very winter-like sound, with music boxes and sparse electronic arrangements. It's one of my favorites.

If you prefer the more upbeat songs (Hunter, Alarm Call, 5 Years, Pluto) then either Debut or Post are good choices. Very strong albums, though the former has aged a bit.

The rest of her albums are worth checking out, though I think Volta and Biophilia are not as strong as the rest of her work. Medúlla is magnificient, but it may take a while to really get into since it features some experimental voice work that may be hard to digest at first. Her B-Sides compilation is also fairly good.

There are strings on Homogenic but most of the instrumentation is excellent trip hop beats. Probably gonna avoid Volta for now. Thanks for the breakdown, it's definitely a big help.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Stalins Moustache posted:

So it's been a long time coming, but I wanna start listening to Radiohead. Where do I start, goons?

Skip Pablo Honey and Amnesiac, at least try all the others. Personally, I think OK Computer and In Rainbows are two of the most perfect albums ever recorded.

My own question, I was gonna grab some of the new Guided By Voices albums, the ones since they reunited, but there's like 5 or 6 of them now and they're all 15 bucks on Amazon. Which should I grab first, based on how much of it they've been playing live and just how good they are? Or does anyone know a cheaper place to grab them?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

hatelull posted:

For Jenny Lewis, you might start with her record with Rilo Kiley, /[The Execution of All Things]/. It's arguably more "indie rock" than her solo stuff but a nice starting point regardless.

Her new solo album is fantastic though and everyone should listen to it. Agreed that Execution of all Things is the best place to start either Rilo Kiley stuff.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Human Amusements for Hourly Rates is honestly a very good Best Of and the album by them I listen to the most.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I'm not a huge rap guy, I only really listen to a couple modern rappers like Kanye and Kendrick, but I watched the Defiant Ones on HBO and it made me want to try some of the old Death Row Records artists. My question is if the Death Row Records Greatest Hits album is any good or if I should try something else to get a sampling of those artists.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

me your dad posted:

Are there any more industrial bands doing stuff similar to Last Rights?

Also, where do I start with PIL?

I have no idea which albums are the popular ones or which ones had singles but I love Happy? and 9 by PiL. Those just happened to be the albums my dad had on CD when I was digging through his collection as a teen.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Junpei posted:

I re-listened to some pop-punk songs I liked when I was a preteen because I thought they were 'edgy' and 'rebellious' and 'cool'. They're still a little cringy, but they actually hold up a little. But they're mostly singles. So, do blink-182, Sum 41 and Good Charlotte have anything worth listening to on the albums via deep dive?

For blink-182, I still really enjoy Enema of the State, Take Off Your Pants and Jacket and the self titled album (always loved that one for the Robert Smith guest vocals). There’s songs on each that are loving terrible garbage about loving dogs in the rear end and poo poo but there’s a lot of great tracks as well.

Also going back to music you liked as a kid that you “grew out of” is a great experience. Being an adult means you can like what you like without shame cause who really gives a gently caress anymore what you listen to.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

regulargonzalez posted:

Lies is a pretty good album until you realize that One in a Million isn't Axl being ironic, it's how he really feels.

I re-listened to Lies recently for the first time since I was a teenager and yeah when I got to One in a Million I was just like. "Oh. Oh no...."

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I've got Yer Favourites, which is a great compilation. I also have World Container which I really like but I don't know if that's a common opinion or not.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Where do I go with Paramore after Riot?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Thank you, I'll probably skip After Laughter since I just relistened to the No Doubt albums I have and came away going "Goddamn do they suck outside of Tragic Kingdom" but I'll check out the others.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Where would I start with Beyonce? The only things I've actively listened to with her are features on Kanye or Jay-Z songs, specifically Lift Off came on my ipod just now which prompted this post.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Where do I start with Grandmaster Flash?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

hatelull posted:

I think Rings Around the World is a great entry point for peak Super Furry Animals. It runs the gauntlet of psychedelic pop songs and utter chaos. Phantom Power is the follow up and should not be missed if you enjoy what you hear on Rings Around the World.

From there I suggest either jumping forward to Dark Days/Light Years (the last album before their hiatus and the last studio offering they released), or regressing back to Radiator to get a feel of their earlier material. If you want more of a rawk power pop sound, check out Mwng (the album entirely in Welsh) or Hey Venus!

A favorite SFA song for me, just for kicks ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJWncmFQ9Q

Nothing really to add but I'd say this is spot on.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

kingturnip posted:

Rings Around the World is arguably the band's worst album (tied with Love Kraft), so I can't recommend it as a starting point. In order of release:

Wild take.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Disco Pope posted:

Where do i start with Yo La Tengo? I was talking about noise-pop with my partner and Wikipedia lists them along with basically my favourite bands, but my understanding is they become more of a quiet band later on?

Wikipedia lists them with Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr and I'd say they have a similar sonic evolution.The 80's stuff is extremely noisy and the become more melodic as you get into the 90s. If you like the really noisy Sonic Youth albums from the beginning of their career then start with Ride the Tiger and go chronological. If you want a bit more melody then start from Painful and continue on. For my money Painful, I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your rear end, and Popular Songs are their best albums.

I have not listened to anything they've put out since 2013 though, mostly because I've been out of the loop and didn't realize they'd released anything.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
As someone with a lyric from The Terror in his avatar I have to say that it isn't a bad album but it's definitely very different from Yoshimi or Mystics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
More like where do I go next as opposed to where do I start but where should I go for Rise Against if I already have Appeal to Reason?