Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

david puddy posted:

Boris? I am more interested in their drone/psychedelic stuff than their sludge stuff, but they have like 17 albums or something so I have no idea where to look :iiam:

Flood is their best drone/psych. Amplifier Worship is a very close 2nd.

From there, hit up Feedbacker, Absolutego, Dronevil, Sun Baked Snow Cave. Weaker, but still focused on drone/psych.

Boris' other albums achronologically stem from that base, I think. Amp Worship leads to Akuma No Uta, leads to Heavy Rocks (I), leads to Pink. Flood leads to Altar leads quite nicely into Rainbow.

I disliked Smile and I really don't loving get the appeal of New Album. Everything else I haven't heard. All of the above is my opinion.

I wanna rephrase this whole post. Flood is still their best purely experimental trippy drone album. Amplifier Worship is more of a sludge/doom/hard rock album, but you should still definitely get it, because it's amazing and it's still very out-there and psychedelic.

From there, Boris kinda branched in two, refining their sludge into dirty-rear end cock rock, and expanding their drone into more and more classical psychedelia. The pinnacle of the sludge was probably Pink (although I enjoy Heavy Rocks [1] more, it's less fuzzy and samey) and the pinnacle of the psych was most certainly Rainbow.

So, if you wanna check out the best of Boris' droney psych, get Flood, Feedbacker, Altar, and Rainbow. And also Amp Worship, because it's the bomb. And stay the hell away from New Album.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Chronological. Stop after Future Days if you want.

I will defend that to the day I die.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Epi Lepi posted:

YMMV but I honestly think they're way more interesting live than on an album. The album Grounds for Divorce comes from, The Seldom Seen Kid, is the only one I really dig, though I just found out they had a new one come out last year.

Where do I start with Smog/Bill Callahan? I love the cover of Chosen One that the Flaming Lips did on their Providing Needles for Your Balloons EP, and I like the John Peel Session recording by Bill so I'm probably going to pick up that rarities compilation he has, but I don't really know where to start with all of his other albums.

Red Apple Falls is the classic starting point, I think, and it's as good as any. Knock Knock is a great, really adorable album, too.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Alice Donut?

I'm a strong proponent of the theory of "just dive in" to a given discog, but I wanna get this one right for some reason.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

boonsha posted:

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it.
Where do I go next with Neil Young? I have Harvest and Comes a Time and I love them both, but to say he has a lot of albums is an understatement. I know he starts playing electric guitar at some point, and I found an album of covers of 50's songs, but I don't know what's decent.
Thanks for your help!

Oh man that's a tough one. If you like that warbly folksy poo poo, you should definitely acquire

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
After the Gold Rush
Zuma
Harvest Moon is like one of his most popular albums and he recorded it the 90s and it's pretty MOR compared to the older stuff but it's a beautiful little night-time country album if you ask me.

Myself, I love it when Neil gets really weird and dark and let's 'er rip a little, so I absolutely adore

Tonight's the Night
Re Ac Tor
Rust Never Sleeps
Broken Arrow is like one of his least popular albums and the last few tracks are really silly and crap, but the front end is real fuckin' stoney and long and I totally love the poo poo out of it, you might too, maybe not, who knows.

His 90s and 00s albums work really well on paper but tend to be long and meandering and boring. I must however point out Le Noise which is brilliant but weird. It's just crunchy guitar and vocals and nothing else. It's really sparse and reminds of a Suicide album or something.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 20, 2012

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Polegrinder posted:

I'd start with Repeater and 13 Songs for sure. Steady Diet of Nothing and In on the Kill Taker are good too. I haven't heard anything they've done after that though.

YOU'RE MISSING OUT ON THE WHOLE WORLD, SON

The Argument and Red Medicine are their best albums. End Hits is wonky and uneven but it has a soft spot in my heart. Check out the early stuff, for sure, but early Fugazi is to later Fugazi as early Beatles is to later Beatles.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
The Red Krayola?

(as a person with a warm appreciation for 60s psych but an absolute gaga boner for everything david grubbs and jim o'rourke have ever done)

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 21, 2012

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Houdini to Bullhead to Stoner Witch. Be sure to check out their most recent run of albums starting with (A) Senile Animal, I think it's some of their best work. The Ipecac trilogy (Maggot/Bootlicker/Crybaby) is neat. Diehard Melvins fans will tell you Ozma is essential, but I don't get it, that album is boring as poo poo.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
The best Sonic Youth album is Today's Active Lifestyles by Polvo.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Uh, yeah, Wilcochat is horribly incomplete without a recommendation of Loose Fur, the best goddamn thing Jeff Tweedy has ever been involved in.

Long, psych, Jim O'Rourke, druggy, wistful, etc etc. 1st album is much trippier than 2nd. Both are fantastic.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Taiga is kind of a rush out of the gate and then it gets kinda too groovy for its own good, I think. If you haven't heard them already, definitely check out Super Ae and Vision Creation Newsun by Boredoms. Same kinda vaguely aboriginal drummery, but there's a lot more of an epic newagey feel to those albums.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Shipping News is a pretty good, less soporific soundalike, but if you like creepy quiet poo poo might i recommend Gowns

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Yellow Magic Orchestra?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I started with Taiga and that's a good album for scratching that Super Ae itch.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Schiavona posted:

Where do I start with Sonic Youth?

daydream nation
murray st.
smoke more weed
stop listening to sonic youth
start listening to gastr del sol
come back to sonic youth 7 years later

works alright

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
motorpsycho?

shining was apparently influenced by them to create in the kingdom of kitsch you will be a monster and i can't stop obsessively listening to that album

but

man they have a lot of albums and a lot of them are double albums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
it's been like 30 years since i listened to sigh but i recall particularly liking hail horror hail and being kind meh on the rest

i think they were only up to G #2 at that point tho