Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Madame Ovary posted:

Where do I start with Buckethead?

I'd recommend Bucketheadland 2, Enter the Chicken, and Captain EO's Voyage. That should give you a pretty decent sampling of his more aggressive stuff and his more psychedelic music. The way I got into it was his work with Praxis and Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains, so I can also recommend Tennessee 2004 and Big Eyeball in the Sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

screenwritersblues posted:

Where do I start with Fleetwood Mac?

Depends. I assume you're interested in Fleetwood Mac and not Peter Green, so I'll say Rumours. From there, I'd say go to Tusk and the self-titled, and work your way out from there. Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, and Tusk are their only "vital" recordings and should provide enough of a base for whether or not you like them.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'd recommend Starless and Bible Black for a first King Crimson album, or In the Court of the Crimson King. Both tend to veer closer to the symphonic side of KC, rather than the discordant jazz (which can be difficult for first time listeners). And Discipline for the Belew-era.

david puddy posted:

The two King Crimson albums that had the most immediate impact on me were Larks' Tounges In Aspic and Lizard. If you're already familiar with prog I'd start with LTIA because that opening track is incredible (though wildly inaccessible if you're not a prog fan already I guess). Lizard just has awesome guitar work and it's the only album where I think that Haskell/Wetton style of vocals actually work for the sound of the band. I personally found Red a little underwhelming.

Lizard is a terrible choice for a first album. I think the only one I'd be more hesitant to recommend from the first run would be Islands.

Allen Wren posted:

Insert speculation about him possibly soloing again ever now that Belew's not in the group anymore?)

Jakko Jakszyk is in the fold for the latest iteration. Don't bet on it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Xandoom posted:

Where do I start with Rush?

Rush has three (well, four technically, but three important ones) major eras and lucky for you each one has an album more or less declaring "yeah this is our new steez". There's Fly By Night which is the first album with Neil Peart on it, and that one (and the debut) hews closer to straight up hard rock than the rest of their stuff. The next one is 2112 where they decided that they were a Randian Prog Rock Juggernaut, and that's where their propensity for long instrumental sections starts to really come into play. Finally, you have Moving Pictures which has the benefit of having most of the songs that everyone knows. Also, lots of synths.

I'd recommend starting with Moving Pictures, then if you like that, I'd recommend 2112 and working your way forward from that. If you still just can't get enough of Geddy Lee's yelping, then go back to the earlier stuff.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

There's no really good place to start with ELP. They're a band where I would honestly suggest starting with a greatest hits CD. If you really want to start with an album proper, Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery are the best places to start (I'd lean towards Brain myself).

And the song that Allen Wren is referring to is one of their designated "accessible" acoustic ballads (Still You Turn Me On) so even though the lyrics are garbage the form is accessible.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

Further on my earlier post, what are good places to start with UFO and Michael Schenker?

If you're into live albums, I recommend starting with Strangers in the Night for UFO. If not, Lights Out and Phenomenon are probably the best places to start. For Michael Schenker/Group, my favorite album is Assault Attack (which has Graham Bonnett singing) but I know a lot of people are into MSG.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Cerepol posted:

Where do I start with the Bee Gees?

All I really know from them is Staying Alive. But they seem interesting. Also the 2 different singer periods.

Main Course is where they become the Bee Gees in their cheesy disco glory and the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack has their five best known songs. Spirits Have Flown has their ballads. I'm afraid I don't know too much about their non-disco music.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I'm curious about Black Label Society. Zykk Wylde strikes me as a interesting character

Zakk Wylde is GBS as gently caress. That being said, Sonic Brew is probably their best regarded album and also their chronological first, so start there, probably. There's also Pride and Glory, his first attempt at fronting a band, and No More Tears, his best album with Ozzy (and the last one before he started out on the Pride and Glory/BLS trip).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

LordPants posted:

I've heard a bit of Yeezus on the radio, where do I start With Kanye West and where do I start with Grizzly Bear.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, after some solid listening I decided that they weren't as good as Blackwater Park as you guys said.

I'd recommend Yellow House or Veckatimest for Grizzly Bear. I'd actually recommend listening to the bands that they heavily borrow from but that's neither here nor there.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

LordPants posted:

Ooooh intreguing, tell me more!

Radiohead's Kid A, Animal Collective, Super Furry Animals, and late 60's Beach Boys are the ones I hear the most clearly.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rubber Biscuit posted:

A) This thread is still going?!

B) I want to get started on grime. Hopelessly general, I know, but indulge me.

Dizzee Rascal, Kano, Ghetts, D Double E, and Wiley are some decent places to start.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

beergod posted:

How about :

Xiu Xiu
The Flaming Lips
Wilco
The Melvins
Mudhoney
Black Flag

In no particular order:
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
My War
Bullhead/Eggnog
Fabulous Muscles/The Air Force

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The compilation album Tonsures Rock is probably the most logical starting place

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I like newer fashioned bounce music, Big Freedia and Sissy Nobby. Stuff that's more frenetic, layered and repetitive, and less verse/ chorus/ verse than the older bounce style from the 90s and early 2000s.

What should I start checking out asides from those two artists?

Nicky Da B and Katey Red are worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ZeYslcGNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3333_3r0Jwk

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Where should I start with Quicksilver Messenger Service?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MonkeyOnFire posted:

Happy Trails is one of the greatest psychedelic rock albums of the '60s. It (mostly) captures the band in their natural element: live on stage. By most accounts the first half of the record, the "Who Do You Love" suite, is QMS at their best. I wouldn't necessarily take issue with that, but for me the real magic happens on side 2, with another Bo Diddley number, "Mona", segueing into a couple of beautifully spooky instrumentals ("Maiden of the Cancer Moon" and "Calvary"). Overall, the album is one of my favorite guitar duo records; John Cipollina is undeniably the star here, with his serpentine vibrato and acid-drenched effects, but Gary Duncan is stellar in a supporting role and even gets in a few good solo bits. It's not a perfect record. The last track is a throw-away. Some listeners will take issue with the length of the first side. If you can stomach a bit of dynamic jamming, though, it's certainly worth your attention.

It was pretty alright. Convinced me not to give up on them. I already like Television and (sometimes) the Grateful Dead so I was hoping there'd be some sort of link there. If nothing else I kind of get why people love John Cippolina so much

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'm gonna go against the grain and not suggest starting with 13 Songs. Instead just jump in with Repeater.

For The Supremes, Where Did Our Love Go has most of their best-known songs. You could also start with More Hits By The Supremes or I Hear a Symphony (which I personally think is their best album but doesn't necessarily have as many hits on it).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Washing Machine and Sonic Nurse are also good, I think it's a bad idea to discourage someone who has no preconceived notions about an album

Also Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star and Dirty are worth listening to

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

kumba posted:

Coheed and Cambria?

The only songs I can think of that I've heard are Welcome Home & Unheavenly Creatures. I like the former much more than the latter.

good apollo i'm burning star iv is basically a greatest hits album and features, you guessed it, welcome home

from there if you want more heavy go forward and if you want less heavy go backwards

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Dillinger Escape Plan?

i didn’t like them until this year; i just didn’t get it

ire works changed all that

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

I got into him with Tiny Cities, an album of Modest Mouse covers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOk30OAHxEw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydNhrHXHjAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8i2tOfzyfk

But yeah, Benji's a loving masterpiece, though pretty different than Tiny Cities.

benji’s the only one that ever clicked with me that wasn’t red house painters era; i’d start there and see if you like mark kozelek’s brand of sing rambling before going farther forward

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ten summoner's tales is pretty good and if you like that you'll probably like the rest of his solo stuff

he was definitely the one pushing the jazzy sophistipop sound of later police records so if you like that then definitely check it out

eagles are pretty middle of the road as far as country rock goes but they're also one of the best known bands in the genre; people don't necessarily want to start with sweetheart of the rodeo or gene clark's no other

if you don't want greatest hits 71-75 (you should, eagles were for sure a singles band and it's one of the best greatest hits comps of all time), the eagles s/t and hotel california are probably the two best albums from each "phase" of the band (the initial country rock thing with bernie leadon and then the slicker broader rock sound with joe walsh)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Junpei posted:

Were Kris Kross actually any good? Whenever I hear them referenced it always just sort of is "heh. Remember when those middle schoolers had a rap career?" and not like, any discussion of their actual skills/fame/songs. I like "Jump", for the record.

so... hm. here's the deal. it's novelty rap, but it's produced by jermaine dupri who's on the shortlist of the greatest producers of all time.

the rest of totally krossed out sounds like jump (specifically "i missed the bus" and "warm it up") and the production is legitimately good g-funk; the latter two albums from what i've listened to seem to be solid if not especially revolutionary takes on dre/death row that would be pretty in line with the rest of hip hop at the time

would i say any of it's required listening? no. is it enjoyable? absolutely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1YJn1PkI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOntgsvDddE

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

"hole in my life" comes from outlandos d'amour so good news, that's probably the one you should start with

the police have about 10 gigantic hits, and each studio album has about two of them on them so really you can start with any of them (although i wouldn't recommend starting with synchronicity)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it's hard to think of a better pink floyd album to start with than dark side of the moon unless you came for the psychedelia/syd barrett stuff in which case relics is a good sampling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Blue Labrador posted:

Where do I start with Sheena Ringo? She's been around awhile, so where do I go to understand her musical identity in general? I asked this in a separate discord as well recently, and I was told her that her "Tokyo Jihen" stuff was good, but I don't know exactly how that lines up with her career and discography.

shoso strip and kalk samen kuri no hana are the two go-to solo albums and they’re both excellent

tokyo jihen is a side project where she’s still the frontperson; for that i’d start with adult