Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

I've recently become obsessed with this song by Minyo Crusaders called Tanko Bushi (Boogaloo) that I heard a while ago on BBC radio 4. Does anyone know what genre of music this is or know of something similar? I love the variety of instruments used and the lively feel of the music. It gives me a warm feeling, like I'm walking through some lively summer festival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Thanks guys. I guess I'm looking more for songs with a good variety of instruments being used and the same sort of happy, lively sort of vibe.

I like the way the song builds with the little solos going on every now and again, it's like walking through a street party and everyone's smiling and dancing and there's lots going on. I'm not attached to the Japanese theme particularly, it's just that I don't know much about music so I don't know what genre this particular song falls under.

Amazon recommendations haven't been particularly helpful, it's just like "Ah yes, foreign music!" and gives me completely unrelated Mongolian heavy metal songs or something.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

BigFactory posted:

You might like Afro-Cuban jazz. Maybe something like Tito Puente.

Yes! So I guess it's the jazz structure of the songs that I like? I've not been exposed to a lot of jazz growing up so I'll have to explore the genre a bit more. What does "boogaloo" mean in this context? I've seen it on a few songs that don't seem to have anything in common.