Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I feel like I might be opening a can of worms with this one but... Swans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's a tricky one. Imaginary Sonicscape is the magnum opus. Scorn Defeat is the most raw and straightforward. Hangman's Hymn is the most aggressive.

In Somniphobia is my favorite, it’s just so... bombastic.

Also it’s neat that the first letter of all their albums chronologically is S I G H S I G H S I G H... talk about sticking to a gimmick.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

internet celebrity posted:

Are you looking for stuff that sounds like it could fit in a JRPG soundtrack or just Japanese rock/metal in general?

If it's the latter I'll second the person who mentioned Boris. Start with Akuma no Uta, Pink, and 2002 Heavy Rocks. If you liked the more experimental/noisy/droney parts then check out Flood and Feedbacker.

Yeah if you want something more JRPG/Anime soundtracky, Attention Please or New Album might be the best fit. They're the most... restrained and straightforward??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEyeaoYg_k

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Junpei posted:

The Darkness (Hit: I Believe In A Thing Called Love)

That whole album (Permission to Land) is just wall to wall bangers, and very much work checking out in full.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Emetic Hustler posted:

I am interested in familiarizing myself with the Melvins. Since they been around for 35+ years and have a pile of records, all probably sounding different, and have influenced plenty of later bands that I've listened to. Where to start? I am probably more partial to the experimental/alternative side than the punk stuff.

Recommendations from oldest to newest:

Bullhead was wildly influential on a lot of stoner rock bands that came later (and the band Boris even took their name from a song on this album!) but it's admittedly a little meander-y.
Houdini is definitely the most accessible album of their early period and a great place to dip your toes in.

Most of the albums of the 90s and early 2000s will sound like some combination of those two. If you want to see how they progressed over time, skip to (A) Senile Animal. That's the first album where they added half of the band Big Business to their lineup, which gave them a much more "rock-forward" sound. I think it reigned in Buzzo's proggy tendencies.

And then you can skip forward another decade and listen to the Bulls and the Bees EP, which I think is a good exemplar of their current sound, which is a bit faster than their old sludgey stuff.

Those are (for me) the milestone albums, but there's a TON of other stuff, so dig in and enjoy :)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 31, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Junpei posted:

All I know about No Doubt is Just A Girl and Don't Speak. And Gwen Stefani's solo career, but I've got that covered.

The whole Tragic Kingdom album is really great

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
...and you will know us by the trail of dead?

A song of theirs came up on my Spotify suggestions, and I listened to the newest album, but it's so, I dunno, schizophrenic? Like every song could be a different band.

Is there a good place to start in their huge catalog?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Henchman of Santa posted:

Source Tags & Codes is a widely considered classic that kind of overshadows their discography.

Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Best place to start would be asking for consent. You can start with just holding hands and looking in each others' eyes, and then slowly move in.

Oh the band? Start with Kiss Alive as a good overview of their biggest stuff, it has a lot of energy and is considered one of the best live albums of all time. If you want a studio album, Detroit Rock City is a great place to start, but I'm partial to Love Gun just because the title track is one of the banginest songs that exists.

Voodoofly posted:

Grails?

Most of my experience with listening to them was my tattoo artist playing their albums a lot towards the end of long sessions, but saw someone with their shirt at the grocery store today and figured no time like the present to check them out.

Doomsdayer's Holiday is the best thing I've heard from them. It stands out as a very memorable album, whereas a lot of their other stuff sounds very samey. If you listen to it and want more, check out the rest of their catalogue, but I think DH is their high water mark.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

may i kiss you please

See now you get it

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Junpei posted:

I've heard some controversy about whether this act was queerbaiting or exploitative or what have you, but I'm legit curious: Having only listened to "All The Things She Said", and finding it pretty good, is t.A.T.u. any good?

The "lesbian" angle was definitely fake and made up to generate interest, but also they're pretty keen on pushing Russian propaganda (see the song "Такого как Путин"/"One like Putin" where they want to have a guy who's strong and handsome like Putin).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
With the caveat that I'm aware Michael Gira is apparently a lovely person, where do I start with Swans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hell yeah I'll probably start with the documentary and go from there. Thanks all!