Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
I've heard some random "chopped and screwed" remixes and just found them more boring than anything else, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. What's a good sampler of why DJ Screw was so revered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Theusz Hamtaahk posted:

In my opinion, start with Strawberry Jam. it's drat near flawless. However, if you want to get into something more representative of the free folk sound, go with Feels.

I have to agree, they've gotten slowly more accessible with each album so start with Strawberry Jam and work your way backwards.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

ackapoo posted:

Anyone know where to start with...The Roots?

Definitely Things Fall Apart, which is solid from start to finish and is basically the pinnacle of their more straightforward jazz-hiphop fusion of their early albums. After that they start branching out a lot more. I'd recommend the followup Phrenology, which is pretty all over the place, and then you can either continue to move forward if you like that more, or move backwards from Things Fall Apart if you prefer that album's style.

Their latest Rising Down is loving amazing but it's also their darkest and synthiest yet.