Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the best place to start with Ike & Tina Turner? The only songs I really know are "River Deep - Mountain High" and "Proud Mary". What about James Brown? I have Live At the Apollo and I'm familiar with his hit singles, but he (along with Ike & Tina Turner and the Impressions) is a one of the few gaps (though certainly a very big one) in my knowledge of soul music from the 1960s.

Both great live shows, so just about any live cut is going to be a decent listen, but they'll also start to bleed together and sound the same if you hear too many (especially with I&T), mostly because they were both straddling the line between the singles era and the album era. James Brown had much better namesake album releases than I&T, and so he's pretty well documented.

Ike and Tina got around A LOT, and there are choice gems out there of them shacking up with other musicians (Ike and Tina and the Raylettes) on the road. This stuff is really special because it doesn't feel as proscribed as more common albums like Workin Together, in fact I'd say their best studio period is between '66 and '69, after their golden period of live Revue recordings.

That'll get you River Deep, Mountain High for the Spector sound, and if you want studio blues takes look for The Hunter/Outta Season Blue Thumb combo disc on the web. If you want to hear them live and alive before they imploded look for Something's Got A Hold On Me.

Grab that Raylettes album for sure if you're a 60s soul purist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel as though the thing about Ike & Tina is that - like a lot of artists from that era - they'd keep putting the same three or four songs on every album to fill space around the latest single.

I am indeed (so much so that I'm a bit ambivalent toward a lot of stuff my favourites recorded after 1969 :v:). I'm dead keen on Jimmy James and the Vagabonds (their split live album with the Alan Bown Set - which I sort of own via CD compilations - is great; they do this medley of "Amen" by the Impressions and the Sam Cooke version of "If I Had A Hammer" which I really get a kick out of).

Really true. There was a lot of filler there, and not all recordings were able to capture the actual energy of their performances.

I dig a lot of 70s soul, too, but on a different level. The change in production techniques had a profound effect on the artist's delivery (sort of how Elmore James brought %100 to every take because otherwise the recording technology of the time wouldn't catch anything), but also I'm just not as convinced that full albums were kind to the content of most 60s soul, that heart-poured-on-pavement feeling that a single can achieve. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with artist control and the change in writer/producer roles, too.

I don't have the Sam Cooke recording you mention, but he does the same track on "At The Copa" and I always loved it. The other one who carried a Mamas and Papas song to legit coolness was Lee Moses, who did an awesome California Dreamin, though every track you can get your hands on is good. I always considered Cooke another of the live performers, compared to Don Covay, but I think Night Beat showed his album chops pretty well. Actually, on the whole, the CD-compilation era has been kind to blues/soul/funk single culture.

Most of those who I'd consider the absolute greats had a very limited output compared to bulldozers like Aretha: Candi Staton on Fame, Don Covay w/ Jefferson Lemon Blues, Irma Thomas on Minit and Imperial, James Carr on Goldwax (better then Otis!), Laura Lee on Chess, and O.V. Wright before heroin.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hope you don't mind me following this up after so long - I looked out this album. Vinyl only, right? I don't own a vinyl record player myself but I think mp3s can be procured through various means (:filez: - though believe me when say I really hate to do that sort of thing). Was this a split compilation (i.e. a few Ike & Tina songs, a few Raelets songs) or was it a collaborative effort? It looks like the former from what I can tell.

Souled Out. It's vinyl only, as far as I know. It's %60 Raelets, %40 I&T, but the Raelets stuff is golden, and Tina sings a mad Dust My Broom, produced by Charles, so it's worth it. They team up here and there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that the same as the one Wikipedia lists as Ike & Tina Turner and the Raelettes from 1966?

They have a weird discography which is difficult to keep track of. From what I can see, both of the Ike & Tina Turner Show live albums were re-released with more distinct names on different labels (according to Wikipedia), while according to Discogs they had an album called Get It - Get It on an ultra-obscure label called Cenco in 1966 or 1967 (which may not even have been released even though it seems that cover art was produced) which was then re-released as Her Man, His Woman in 1971.

Also, going by Wikipedia - five albums in one year. Not quite as prolific as jazz musicians, but still - a different time indeed.

Disappointed that In Person seems to be out of print. I like the look of its track listing.

Mine doesn't seem to have a date anywhere on the sleeve, but yeah, they're the same. 1966 on the Tangerine lable.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

firstyear posted:

After All Hail West Texas, which are the best boombox-era Mountain Goats records?

If you mean prior-to...then Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

He switches gears a lot. You're Dead has some real tits soul vibes going, while Cosmogramma has a weird alien sci-fi feel.