Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Where should I start with Maceo Parker? Because people have sworn to me that it's not all the smooth jazz cheesefest I got with Funk Overload

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

Paul's Boutique, Paul's Boutique, Paul's Boutique. Cannot be said enough. After that, you can probably just go chronologically (Check Your Head, Ill Communication, Hello Nasty, in that order). Let's be honest here, Licensed To Ill is not that great of album, unless you're like fourteen and hearing it for the first time. You've heard "Fight For Your Right", you've pretty much heard the whole thing.
I don't really disagree with this and the most recent two albums were pretty ho-hum, but if you're lazy the Sounds of Science double album greatest hits thing is actually pretty good and has a lot of great B-Side material that you might not enounter going the album route

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Mad Eddy posted:

Hello goons.
I've been trying to figure out where I should start with Gogol Bordello and Frank Zappa.
Thanks.
Frank Zappa I can understand your asking but Gogol Bordello has only 4 albums. Get Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

REDICULOUS LOOSER posted:

:ssh: Their widows/sons/daughters aren't. They often own the rights and license the music.
I buy used music because it's cheaper and supports local music retail

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

A Sober Irishman posted:

I was wondering where a good place to start would be for Elvis Presley. Songs of his I really like are Love Me Tender, Suspicious Minds and Can't Help Falling in Love.
Elvis shat out anything that could (and almost always would) make a buck. I don't think elvis compilations are a bad idea, since his albums can be so spotty. Personally I think his earlier work is the most consistent, but that excludes some of the ones you've mentioned.

But if you've just gotta have an album, go with his self-titled and Aloha: live via satellite and you've got both early and late. And if you want to fill in the middle find a video of his 68 comeback special

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

alansmithee posted:

Where should I start with The Residents?
I found the Residents kind of hard to get into because I couldn't pay attention to their lyrics. The Commercial Album is probably the easiest in that respect and a great album all around. Their whole personae and presentation is a big part of it all, so definitely check out as many videos as you can

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Rhg0061r posted:

The Crystal Method - Tweekend, as it has the most well known and popular songs on it.
Really? Way back when I listened to Crystal Method I would have said that about Vegas, and I barely listened to Tweekend

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

more of a "where do I continue" question

I have three Boris albums and I like them like this
Akuma no uta: gently caress yeah
Pink: OK!
parts of Smile: seems good, not gently caress yeah
Feedbacker: hrmmm

where to next?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Technetium posted:

You need to get Heavy Rocks, and then probably Amplifier Worship.
actually I got confused and meant Amplifier Worship rather than Feedbacker (which I haven't heard)

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I think you're both barking up the wrong tree. If he was in New Orleans I doubt that was the sort of jazz he heard, though that Jazz documentary might be good to figure out what he really wants to hear. As far as New Orleans goes, Preservation Hall Jazz Band has been doing traditional dixieland jazz for a while and New Orleans Moonshiners or Panorama Jazz Band might do it for you too, and historically you could look to Kid Ory, King Oliver, Sidney Bechet.

Brass Bands often get lumped into jazz as well. If you want something traditional in the style, Treme Brass Band is great and Olympia will work too. When you go more Funk infused it's all about Rebirth Brass Band, with Dirty Dozen right behind it and Trombone Shorty is a far cry from Jazz but still gets lumped in through Brass instrument usage.

Unless you went and saw Ellis Marsalis at Snug Harbor or something in which case errrrugh just listen to his kids but ignore most of what Wynton or Ellis will say.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

Which album from The Jesus and Mary Chain is easiest accessible? I heard some tracks and didn't really like them, but I don't want to dismiss the band so quick.
From the ones I've heard, I'd go with Automatic

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I don't listen to lyrics very well so I like early rap's vocal rhythm. I've watched all the goofy movies with sugar hill artists etc. and I've got a decent idea of what was coming out of there, but I wanna know what else I'm looking at when I come across a stack of music from that era. Any way that I can start to educate myself on non-sugar hill rap? I do realize that they put out a good portion of the stuff in that era

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Brownie posted:

Where do I start with Ennio Morricone? The guy has so much stuff out I don't really know what to do. Even his list of compilations is like 3 pages long.

I'm most interested in the "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" type stuff, and his songs in Inglorious Bastards really impressed me as well.

So his western music I guess, and any other stuff if its really amazing. Hopefully that's not too general.
I have the soundtracks to both The Big Gundown and Once Upon A Time In The West as well GoodBadUgly and love them all equally

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

I've been meaning to get into Sleater-Kinney for about 5 years now but never remember. Tell me where to start.
A lot of people love the Woods but it's probably the biggest departure (and the only one I don't like). I think you're better choosing whichever of the rest of their material.

My favorites starting with the angriest and going poppier,
Call The Doctor -> Dig Me Out -> The Hot Rock -> All Hands on the Bad One

One Beat is a little different too but not much. Really, just buy the cheapest one, you'll be fine.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Can anyone give me advice on where to start with The Mekons?
My first one was "Curse of the Mekons" and is still my favorite (and I almost have their entire discography). It's the most diverse, though maybe not the best starting point considering the spot in their career. If you want to go more country, Fear and Whiskey is good, then I like OOOH a lot. On the rock side I think Retreat from Memphis is more solid than Rock & Roll.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I agree for the most part but would put Summer Sun way above Popular Songs

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Uncle Meat posted:

Where do I start with the Residents?
I think the general agreement is somewhere between Duck Stab, Third Reich & Roll, and Commercial Album. In general I think the residents are best enjoyed watching as much video as possible

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Baram posted:

Where do I start with Sublime?
I would start with the three albums they produced

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Handen posted:

Where do I start with Elvis? Like, back when he was cool, before he got all fat and Christian/country or whatever. I know literally nothing about Elvis but apparently he's pretty famous. K thx~*
with 90% of 50's rock & roll it's the earlier the better and Elvis is no exception. "Elvis" with the London Calling-styled lettering (I know that's backwards) is an excellent album and I've got a compilation called Elvis 56 that's pretty good too. They were releasing Elvis albums every few months so I really don't have a full knowledge of what's good, but the music from King Creole (his favorite film) was pretty good. His '68 Comeback special had a lot more effort put into it than most of his releases and it shows. You'll probably see Aloha Live via Satellite everywhere but it's pretty Vegas-ey, don't bother unless you find an LP for like a dollar (very likely)

Like any monster pop star, Elvis's appeal is only halfway the music. His showmanship is incredible but he's wasn't consistently better than a lot of other rockabilly artists out there.

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 21, 2010

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Handen posted:

Excellent. I'll take your recommendation and try to find his first few. As for the 50's and Rock n' Roll, is there anyone else I should look for? I'm not interested in that sappy malt-shop diner love poo poo, I wanna know what the greasers who rode around on chopped up bikes and in dragsters listened to while they smoked Camels by old gas pumps in the middle of nowhere. Basically I've been listening to a lot of Reverend Horton Heat lately but I wanna know if stuff like that came out of the 50's direct. My contemporary music knowledge starts with the Beatles so basically anything before 1965 is unexplored territory in the form of "here potentially be dragons, dare not tread here."
Awwww man
As far as rockabilly goes I'd go with Johnny Jano, Kip Tyler and his Flips, Bobby Fuller Four, some Wanda Jackson, Ronnie Dawson... Buffalo Bop has a bunch of great compilations like Cool & Crazy. In fact, throughout that period if you can get a hold of compilations like Las Vegas Grind, Whistle Bait or maybe Frolic Diner you'll probably have fun.

50's also meant a ton of great R&B, though that's less 50's motorcylce-riding culture and a lot of it can be malt-shoppy. I'll just throw in there that if you've never listened to a Bo Diddley album he's got just as much of an attitude, albeit a different one, than any rockabilly star.

60's you've got surf and garage. I do a surf rock radio show so unless you really wanna know I'm going to refrain from sperging about it. Link Wray is largely instrumental but definitely has an attitude that makes him a must-listen. They're still making a ton of twisting poo poo all the way through the 60s, but they get better at it. Even though I never did, if you want some of the 60's garage sound most people check out the Nuggets compilations.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

The Viper posted:

Where would I start with Sonic Youth? I'm listening to Daydream Nation at the moment, and I'm still a little iffy. I haven't given it proper attention though.
I agree with Voodoofly for the most part, but I'll add in that if you want creepy, EVOL is excellent. And leave Rather Ripped alone, if you really need a stripped down album Jet Set Thrash No Star will do but I'd also consider NOT BOTHERING WITH SY and go back to Japandroids or something. Rather Ripped is the beginning of their end.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ooookay I agree actually, the Rather Ripped songs didn't sound nearly as bad live. But as a gateway to Sonic Youth I feel like it's misinformation and shortsells the band.

And as for Murray Street, that was my first Sonic Youth album, I'm with you all the way on that.

And I'll throw in a reminder that if you take PFork seriously when they rate an album 0.0 you're an idiot. NYC Ghosts & Flowers isn't their best moment, but it's still a worthwhile listen

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

The guy says he really likes Ramones and y'all tell him Wire, Husker Du, Gang of Four and This Heat? I love the more arty punk but how about Vibrators, Descendents, FYP/Toys that Kill/Undergound Railroad to Candyland, Groovie Ghoulies, etc. He's clearly looking for pop punk

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

BeigeJacket posted:

Calexico seemed to have kept themselves busy over the years, wheres to begin?

I like the idea of tex-mex desert-noir music which is what I thought they did, but the few tracks I picked out at random on youtube and We7 have been kinda boring, plodding indie.

Have I got this band wrong?
I also really want to like Calexico but mostly because I want things like Friends of Dean Martinez and Angelo Spencer Et Les Haunts Sommets

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

big business sloth posted:

how about a good starter for Oneida?
I like Happy New Year a little more than The Wedding, but still applies in the way HP Hovercraft is talking about

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Gogey posted:

Where should I start with Thrice, anyone?
What made you want to find out? If you've heard one song, get the album it's on. Thrice has changed so much, and the band they are now doesn't have much to do with the things before Vheissu. I listened to those in high school and don't so much anymore, but I don't think they should be disregarded, Illusion of Safety was one of the coolest things I'd ever heard at the time and I never got into Vheissu or anything past that.

So what I mean is: if you heard early Thrice, get Early Thrice (possible just Illusion of Safety), if you heard later Thrice, follow the advice of the other guy that responded

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

a kitten posted:

What's a good place to start with Husker Du and/or Bob Mould? I think I've liked everything I've heard by them over the years but, for whatever reason I never followed through and started buying albums. Maybe now's the time to fix that.
I don't think anybody should discount the poppy Flip Your Wig, though New Day Rising and Zen Arcade ARE essential

I have listened to other Mould stuff. Stay away from Sugar albums unless they're $1 (they often are), a lot of people like Workbook as well. Honestly, none of the solo stuff has grabbed me though

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

nadabolt posted:

Goat definitely.

Where do I start with the Cheater Slicks? The Intelligence? also i still need some help with Whitehouse :(
I definitely haven't heard their whole discography or anything, but Refried Dreams is so sludgy and great.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

The problem is that Bowie's mix isn't that great, either. Raw Power is, to me, one of the most disappointing records ever released, because while Iggy's attempt to rectify things sounds like you're listening to a blender on frappe, Bowie's original production is so thin and trebly that you could have the finest sound system known to man, with sensitive tweeters and woofers from floor to ceiling---you put on Raw Power and those woofers won't even twitch. There's nothing in the midrange, nothing in the bass. Bowie's mix is superior, yes, but I can't think of a way to save that record.
I honestly think the Iggy mix of Raw Power sounds awesome. I know I'm not totally alone considering there's a ton of garage rock bands that record the same way. But yeah, I understand why somebody wouldn't like it

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

StrungOutFlip posted:

The Get Up kids?
Don't touch their newest album

Get Four Minute Mile for more sloppy emo-punk
Get Something To Write Home About for a more indie sound

From there it's hit or miss.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

hatelull posted:

They only have three LP's and one EP, so there's not an intimidating amount to explore. My biased take is that all of it is quality because they're a fantastic loving band. However ...

The most accessible in my opinion, is Wilderness Heart which is their latest record. In the Future has some of their more sprawling epic songs (see "Tyrants" and "Bright Lights") while their first LP carries the frame work found in the later records.
That said, I'm pretty curious about where to start with their bunch of side projects

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

Where do I start with Surf Rock?
Dick Dale is rightfully named the King of the Surf Guitar. The Ventures are the other big name but their catalog is kinda hit or miss: I'd suggest Ventures in Space, Batman, and their live album.

Other older names worth checking out include The Revels, The Sentinals, Jerry Cole. Oher instrumental groups that aren't exactly surf (much more fuzzy, less reverb) but definitely worth investigating are Link Wray, Davie Allan and the Arrows, The Shadows.

Modern surf is a lot different and a lot more expansive sound-wise. The big names there include Los Straitjackets, Man...or Astroman?, Satan's Pilgrims, The Barbwires, and the Madeira. Double Crown records has a very good compilation out right now called Brave New Surf that's a pretty good sample of the heavy hitters.

Also I do a surf radio show...
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/11962/

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

screenwritersblues posted:

For more modern surf rock, go for Best Coast's Crazy For You and Beach Fossils' Self Titled. You might like them, you might not, but they are part of the new movement of Surf Rock out there.
No. I'm sorry, I hate to be a genre enforcer but that trend of music bares next to no resemblance to the pretty easily identified lineage of surf rock. I have seen it described as such plenty of times, but it's a lazy comparison usually made by people that have heard the term but nothing that it applies to (like calling ACDC "frat rock").

I shouldn't be a dick about it but surf is probably one of the most rigidly defined genres out there, and muddying it doesn't help either type of music. Surf rock influenced maybe, but so were the Breeders and nobody would namedrop them amongst the 90s surf rock bands.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ras Het posted:

if you're interested in him as an "alternative" NO rnb artist, check out Gris-Gris, Babylon, The Sun, Moon & Herbs, and his latest, Locked Down. If more traditional stuff appears more interesting, give Dr John's Gumbo, In the Right Place, Goin' Back to New Orleans, or N'awlinz Dis Dat or d'Udda a listen.
Yes, that's pretty much exaclty it.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

big business sloth posted:

you know what though? it's not a bad album.
You mean it's not a 0.0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Hank's best work was done in the pre-LP era, so you're best served by finding a really good compilation and starting from there.

If you're going from Spotify, "Gold" and "Turn Back the Years" have all the essential Hank songs.

EDIT:

To make that more clear, if you're actually buying a CD, go with something like "Gold" which is affordable and relatively concise.

If you have Spotify, load up "Turn Back the Years", hit shuffle and sit on your porch for two hours smoking and just drinking it in.
I'd add that most LPs I've found of his are essentially compilations anyway. So for the most part you can't go wrong