Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS
I've recently been getting into a lot of stoner/doom/sludge metal (whatever the gently caress they call it I don't even know) like Electric Wizard, Bongzilla, Sleep and Cathedral's early stuff. Electric Wizard's Dopethrone in particular I feel very strongly about. What are some other bands and/or albums I should check out?

Sirius Sam fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

attackmole posted:

You've probably already listened to it, but I'll mention it just in case you haven't. Black Sabbath is goddamn essential. It basically set the entire stage for stoner and doom metal scene. In particular, check out Paranoid and Master of Reality. MoR has better production than Paranoid if you care about that, but both are brilliant albums.

Also, check out Kyuss. They were pioneers of the more modern stoner sound, and they kick rear end. Grab the album Blues for the Red Sun. It's trippy as gently caress. Just don't listen to it out of order. Some of the songs are pretty good on their own, but a lot of it doesn't make much sense. But, when you put it together it's really mind bending. They just pummel you with riffs. It's good stuff.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention Black Sabbath. Sabbath is by far one of my favorite bands of all time. The first five Sabbath albums get constant play time for me.

Thanks for the Kyuss recommendation, sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

SubtleDagger posted:

This is all stoner metal/sludge that my girlfriend swears by. She's also into Goatsnake, High on Fire, and Isis. I like it too but personally I'm more into the doomier stuff.

Such as? I'm interested in any suggestions for the 800 different sub-genres of sludge/doom/stoner.