Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

gently caress you aurora posted:

David Bowie

Click here for the full 953x953 image.

I have a few of his albums, what else would I like if I really liked The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust? I know a lot of his popular stuff and I appreciate the man, but I'm not sure which way to go before sullying my experience.

I would agree with much of what Raccoon Leaf said. But to add a comment, if Ziggy Stardust is your starting point, I think Diamond Dogs (to my ear) is also going to be one you'll want to check out. I also second the recommendation of Scary Monsters.

I think The Man Who Sold the World and Lodger are strong releases, as well as Low and Heroes (the last three being the "Berlin trilogy").

With the exception of Scary Monsters (1980), everything named so far is from the 70's. If you want more, I would suggest focusing on other 70's releases and then looking at the 90's albums. Skip over the other 80's albums unless and until you have all the other stuff and like it so much you decide you want to be a completist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Wyatt posted:

You start with Horses, then you play Horses some more. Then you play Easter for a day, before putting Horses back on.

There's much truth in this. But I would expand it and say the first four albums are essential, which means you should also check out Radio Ethiopia and Wave after your last round of Horses.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

Their early stuff is hosed up like the Beatles', with UK and US versions all over the shop, you're generally best off starting with compilations for that, but their first record where the tracklist isn't split AND they're firing on all cylinders (Sorry, Satanic Majesties) is Beggars Banquet. The four album run starting there and going through Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main St. is one of the strongest any group has had (and it's not like the albums immediately following---Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock and Roll---suck, either)

I would defend Satanic as a pretty good but not great psychedelic album. But it's not typical of the band, and I definitely wouldn't think of suggesting that someone start there.

I'd agree with the Big Four mentioned above, maybe saving Exile for last. I think it's the greatest rock and roll album ever released, but I've seen opinion here and there that it's not as "accessible" as other Stones albums. I'm not sure what that means in terms of this particular album, but since the word seems to crop up now and then, maybe it's good not to ignore it here.

The other title that shouldn't escape mention is Some Girls.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

I think Exile's difficult reputation stems from its length and its relative lack of big radio singles, especially considering its length. Basically the only track from the record that entered the lowest-common-denominator that is the classic rock radio playlist is Tumbling Dice.

I would suggest "Happy" as well (both were released a singles, if I'm not mistaken), but still, the point stands. There's really little else that would have been a good candidate for regular radio play. A top-forty audience would have very little patience with tracks such as "Ventilator Blues" or "Turd on the Run."

If I'm a bit bemused over the whole "accessible" thing, I guess it's because the idea that something may not be accessible sends me directly to thinking of stuff that's much weirder and/or more complex and/or exotic to the ear of the listener who doesn't stray from the friendly offerings of the current hits, or whatever. I think of Beefheart or the Residents or Harry Partch. From that perspective, I don't think Exile sounds very far removed from the Top of the Pops, even if it's easy to see how it's not exactly "radio friendly."

But:

LordPants posted:

I think what makes it my favorite album is that it grooves so hard, and it it sounds so raucous. And I love the R&B horns on every other track.

Yeah.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

hatelull posted:

This is really the "help me buy used records" edition ..

Anyone want to offer advice on the following?

Magma (are they even worth diving into?)
Gentle Giant
Hawkwind
Tangerine Dream
Eric Dolphy

On that last one, I understand there's a "good period" and a "not so great" period? I'm looking to avoid straight up cheeseball new age tones.

Magma's one of my faves, especially Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh and Theusz Hamtaahk. After that, maybe Ẁurdah Ïtah or KA.
I haven't gone far into Hawkwind except the live Space Ritual, but it's an absolute motherfucker if you're in the mood for that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Where do I start with The Rolling Stones?

The Big Four:
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

...followed by Some Girls.